Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > QMJHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Blainville-Boisbriand Armada 12/13

Old
11-16-2012, 09:34 AM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
Do you guys think JF Houle has a future with Team Canada and AHL/NHL going foward?
Possibly but I would think Joel Bouchard is the real leader of the coaching staff... honestly I think Bouchard has much more NHL/Team Canada potential than Houle

I also think Matteau will turn pro before Houle

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:33 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
The Blainville-Boisbriand Armada in 2013-14 (if no changes are made):

*Paquette & Ouellet stay in the AHL

Clapperton (19) - Roy (19) - Matteau (19)
Sanche (18) - Hodhod (19) - OVERAGE PLAYER
Hinds (19) - Martel (19) - Jevpalovs (19)
Cusson (17) - Grandmaison (19) - Strong (18)
Cote (17) - MacKenzie (19) - Tremblay (18)

Picard (20) - Bahl (17)
EURO - Beaudoin (17)
Berube (18) - Hoyles (19)
Brunet (17)

Marcoux (20) - Phaneuf (18) - Whiffen (17)

This would be a pretty damn good lineup. Of course, I expect Bouchard to make a couple of moves at Christmas and so a couple of kids could be gone. Also, a guy like Clapperton could be included to Saint John in a deal for Huberdeau (at the draft of course). So, as the Armada try to win the Memorial Cup this year, the lineup will be weaken a bit next season.

I still think we will be quite competitive next season. We have Saint John's 1st this year (Roussel trade) which is pretty valueable. A guy like Marcoux could be traded for a big return with Phaneuf ready to take over.

So basically, this is a team that not only should be able to compete for the Cup this year, but next season will also be pretty good, and as Bouchard continues his goodwork, there isn't really a full out rebuild in the plans.
That's a strong team..

And that's without draft picks...

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 03:44 PM
Zippy316

How is Matteau doing defensively?

Is he playing PK roles and key defensive situations? I'm hoping he can be a more offensively oriented forward at the next level, but realistically, he may be a third liner. Not that he would be a waste, but it would make him a lot more valuable if he play defensive minutes if he tops out in a third line role.

Zippy316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
How is Matteau doing defensively?

Is he playing PK roles and key defensive situations? I'm hoping he can be a more offensively oriented forward at the next level, but realistically, he may be a third liner. Not that he would be a waste, but it would make him a lot more valuable if he play defensive minutes if he tops out in a third line role.
He does not play the PK and he is not used in key defensive situations. He isnt ''bad'' defensively but that is not his forte either. I would expect/hope the Devils try and developp him into an offensive player because that is what he is.

His play on the ice is mainly offense-oriented, he is a player that will crash the net and put himself in a position to score, he will forecheck hard and play along the boards, but he is not usually someone that will give a lot of effort to the defensive side of the game, except if someone is vulnerable enough to be hit hard lol

Of course when he breaks in, your coach might start by using him on the 4th line because he can really hit and grind it out, until he gains more experience/confidence. But he will climb up the charts pretty quick I think with his size, agressiveness, skating and shooting ability he will not last long on your 3rd line

Old
11-29-2012, 07:41 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

The Devils must really like him to have not forfeited their 29th overall pick to select him...

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:44 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
The Devils must really like him to have not forfeited their 29th overall pick to select him...
I think what Lamoriello was getting at is that a 29th pick with one or two years of experience is more valuable than a 20-30 pick in the next two drafts.

Only way that backfires is if we get a lottery pick in the year we are forced to forfeit. If the year we forfeit the pick is over 15, it will likely be 2014 because we host the draft next year, then I think you can say that Matteau with two years of development is better than most guys you'd get past 15 in that draft.

Old
11-30-2012, 09:56 AM
FirmestPiano

Quote:
He does not play the PK and he is not used in key defensive situations. He isnt ''bad'' defensively but that is not his forte either. I would expect/hope the Devils try and developp him into an offensive player because that is what he is.

His play on the ice is mainly offense-oriented, he is a player that will crash the net and put himself in a position to score, he will forecheck hard and play along the boards, but he is not usually someone that will give a lot of effort to the defensive side of the game, except if someone is vulnerable enough to be hit hard lol

Of course when he breaks in, your coach might start by using him on the 4th line because he can really hit and grind it out, until he gains more experience/confidence. But he will climb up the charts pretty quick I think with his size, agressiveness, skating and shooting ability he will not last long on your 3rd line
So what you're saying is he has the potential to play on a second line, mainly as an offensive player? Can you comment more on his skating and shot? From what I've heard before his skating was at best average, but recently I've also read that it's not really a problem. From what I could gather his shot is also quite underrated, am I right? Your input would be greatly appreciated!

FirmestPiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmestPiano View Post
So what you're saying is he has the potential to play on a second line, mainly as an offensive player? Can you comment more on his skating and shot? From what I've heard before his skating was at best average, but recently I've also read that it's not really a problem. From what I could gather his shot is also quite underrated, am I right? Your input would be greatly appreciated!
Well aside from his ''physical'' tools, I would say his skating and shot are his best attributes for sure.

He does not have the quickest first stride, but I'm always surprise as to how fast he is going on the ice. He is not slow, and he is not a speedster, he is just fast. For a guy his size, already being ''just'' fast is pretty good. He's got plenty of time to work on his acceleration.

As for his shooting, it is not perfect. He needs a bit of time to get it off, but that can be worked on. He has a lot of strenght on his shot, it's heavy, goaltenders have trouble controlling the rebounds. It's not as accurate as a Joe Sakic of course, but it's getting there. He can definitely pick the corners.

If I were to rate Matteau NHL13-style with relation to his peers (CHLers), here's how I'd do it:

Acceleration: 6/10
Speed: 8/10
Passing: 6/10
Stickhandling: 7/10
Vision: 8/10
Shooting power: 9/10
Shooting accuracy: 7/10
Hitting: 9/10
Agressiveness: 9/10
Intensity: 7/10
Defensive coverage: 5/10
Poke checking: 6/10
Shot blocking: 5/10
Overall awareness: 7/10
Hockey sense: 8/10

Old
12-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Claude The Fraud
Win at any cost

Does Matteau has a legitimate chance to make Team USA, at the next WJC?

Claude The Fraud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude The Fraud View Post
Does Matteau has a legitimate chance to make Team USA, at the next WJC?
I highly doubt he doesn't make this team.

This USA team isn't as skilled as Canada or Russia. They are going to need some physicality to override that. Hell, they might just throw Biggs and Matteau out there with some skilled centerman and let them reck havoc.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:55 PM
FirmestPiano

Quote:
Well aside from his ''physical'' tools, I would say his skating and shot are his best attributes for sure.

He does not have the quickest first stride, but I'm always surprise as to how fast he is going on the ice. He is not slow, and he is not a speedster, he is just fast. For a guy his size, already being ''just'' fast is pretty good. He's got plenty of time to work on his acceleration.

As for his shooting, it is not perfect. He needs a bit of time to get it off, but that can be worked on. He has a lot of strenght on his shot, it's heavy, goaltenders have trouble controlling the rebounds. It's not as accurate as a Joe Sakic of course, but it's getting there. He can definitely pick the corners.

If I were to rate Matteau NHL13-style with relation to his peers (CHLers), here's how I'd do it:

Acceleration: 6/10
Speed: 8/10
Passing: 6/10
Stickhandling: 7/10
Vision: 8/10
Shooting power: 9/10
Shooting accuracy: 7/10
Hitting: 9/10
Agressiveness: 9/10
Intensity: 7/10
Defensive coverage: 5/10
Poke checking: 6/10
Shot blocking: 5/10
Overall awareness: 7/10
Hockey sense: 8/10
Thanks for the reports, good reading. Will be interesting to follow him this season and the next to see what he could do/become as a player. Will definitely watch out for him if he makes the USA WJC team this year.

Gotta say I love the Armada jerseys, an awesome look. Hopefully your team will do well this season! Edit: or rather, continue to do well.

FirmestPiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 05:51 PM
TheRookie

Yasin Cisse left BU ... expect him to land with the Armada ... close to home and a vacant overage spot makes it a logical fit

TheRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 06:10 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead506 View Post
Yasin Cisse left BU ... expect him to land with the Armada ... close to home and a vacant overage spot makes it a logical fit
I think they'll go after a big name overager scorer at the deadline IMO.... Or does Cisse fit that?

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 06:40 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Yasin Cisse..

That's a name I haven't heard in a long long time.

He was once a Rookie of the year in AAA... Played with L.L...

Very good player, but injuries have hurt him... Has the talent.. But not sure he'll make it.

Should he end up in Blainville, the Armada will turn him around and he could be the guy they need.

And yes it's very close to home for him.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:56 AM
TheRookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
I think they'll go after a big name overager scorer at the deadline IMO.... Or does Cisse fit that?
They could go after a big name scorer that may not be an overage player **cough** Huberdeau **cough** ...

Cisse would be a bit of a gamble but he would add offense to their roster and cost them nothing in the process ... I'm purely speculating the Armada but seems to make the most sense to me given their opening and the fact he'd be playing fairly close to home.

TheRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 09:23 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
They could go after a big name scorer that may not be an overage player **cough** Huberdeau **cough** ...

Cisse would be a bit of a gamble but he would add offense to their roster and cost them nothing in the process ... I'm purely speculating the Armada but seems to make the most sense to me given their opening and the fact he'd be playing fairly close to home.
It makes sense... How was he doing at BU ?

Old
12-05-2012, 09:58 AM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Moncton did own his rights but I believe they dropped him before this season. As a 20 year old, it wouldn't really matter unless we could move him for a pick. As far as him joining BLB, he plays a very similar style to Matteau. He's a hard working, strong, powerforward with good two-way play. He would be a nice addition to any team but BLB lack a true scorer more(Huberdeau).

Old
12-05-2012, 10:14 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Moncton did own his rights but I believe they dropped him before this season. As a 20 year old, it wouldn't really matter unless we could move him for a pick. As far as him joining BLB, he plays a very similar style to Matteau. He's a hard working, strong, powerforward with good two-way play. He would be a nice addition to any team but BLB lack a true scorer more(Huberdeau).
He can score... He's free help !

I think BLB need a sniper... Not Huberdeau.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:39 AM

I would love to add Cisse to the team.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:55 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
What are thoughts on him ?

Old
12-05-2012, 11:03 AM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
You just did. He signed with BLB today..

Old
12-05-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
You just did. He signed with BLB today..
Yeah I just saw that. He's a big body that should provide even more toughness for our team. But for a 20 years old to stick around, he better put up some more points with us than he did in the NCAA. Although Olivier Hinse did play 4th line for us in the playoffs... hehehe

I expect Cisse to be a pretty solid contributor for us and I am very happy about this move. He should replace Jevpalovs on the 3rd line while he is gone to the WJCs with team Latvia, same story with Matteau.

If he plays well it means we won't have to trade away picks and prospects to acquire another 20 years old

When Jevpalovs and Matteau come back we might have a surplus at forward, probably Martel or Sanche will be gone in a trade for a defenseman or if a guy like Huberdeau is added probably both lol

Old
12-05-2012, 11:17 AM

We're talking about a forward lineup that can rivalize anyone in the CHL...

Clapperton - Paquette - Roy
Sanche - Giroux - Matteau
Hinds - Hodhod - Jevpalovs
Cisse - Plouffe - Martel
*Aquin

The 4th line could be a solid 2nd line for an average team

I expect it to look something like this after the Christmas break;

Clapperton - Paquette - Roy
Huberdeau - Giroux - Matteau
Cisse - Hodhod - Jevpalovs
Hinds - experienced grinder - Strong

Hard hitting 4th line with a power forward on each of the first three lines (Paquette, Matteau, Cisse). Plenty of skills, speed and two-way play all throughout the top-3 lines as well.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Yankees

Good news!

Some size would help against the gritty Voltigeurs tonight.
I'd like to see him play with Hodhod on the 3rd line

Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 12:03 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Yeah I just saw that. He's a big body that should provide even more toughness for our team. But for a 20 years old to stick around, he better put up some more points with us than he did in the NCAA. Although Olivier Hinse did play 4th line for us in the playoffs... hehehe

I expect Cisse to be a pretty solid contributor for us and I am very happy about this move. He should replace Jevpalovs on the 3rd line while he is gone to the WJCs with team Latvia, same story with Matteau.

If he plays well it means we won't have to trade away picks and prospects to acquire another 20 years old

When Jevpalovs and Matteau come back we might have a surplus at forward, probably Martel or Sanche will be gone in a trade for a defenseman or if a guy like Huberdeau is added probably both lol
I think he'll fit we'll in the team..

This is his last shot, look for him to get better as the season wears on.

Will you be at the game on December 21st ?