HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks 2011 Cup Run

Old
11-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicY View Post
Agreed with the sentiment on the SCF. I can watch G1, G2 and Lappy's goal from G5, but anything else makes me physically ill.
I think I'm pretty much over it. It was a great run and lots of great times were had. Some of the best days I've had were in that Spring. I like to dissect the games and play 'what would have happened if X did Y".

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 04:18 PM
VinnyC
Rangers fan I SWEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicY View Post
Agreed with the sentiment on the SCF. I can watch G1, G2 and Lappy's goal from G5, but anything else makes me physically ill.
I can't watch any of the games in Boston, but I don't have much of a problem going through G7. At least our guys tried then, but the gas tank was empty.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:29 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I think I'm pretty much over it. It was a great run and lots of great times were had. Some of the best days I've had were in that Spring. I like to dissect the games and play 'what would have happened if X did Y".
I feel like it just wasn't in the cards that year. With Manny's injury, we were running 3 lines throughout the playoffs and it caught up to us. IMO there were just too many guys hurt or out for a Cup win to be possible - we just weren't meant to win in 2011. Perhaps one day when we have better health and luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
I thought they were going to win in 6 vs the Bruins, but the Hamhuis and Kesler injuries were too much, but the suspension to Rome (while I hate the guy) was huge because he really was playing great hockey. The hit was late but not 4 games worth late. Stupid play that helped decide the series, but the Jekyll and Hyde nature of the team caught up to them.

I remember thinking after game 5 that this should've been the Stanley Cup win. Game 4 was a should've been and instead they just slept walked. The opportunity to come home to win was just not in their mentality. I honeslty believe this team felt they had until game 7, it was like a mental crutch.
I have a hard time believing any team would feel that way, especially with the situation they were in. They'd already played 18 games just to get out of the West, which is already a lot, and coupled with the huge discrepancy in travel and the injuries they had it would be very unwise to feel like they could just turn it up if it got to a Game 7. It just makes no sense to play with that kind of mentality.

Hell, I remember some Canucks fans were arguing whether or not the team should deliberately lose one game in Boston just so they could win it all at home... f***ing ridiculous. For a franchise that has never won it, you would think they'd be happy to get a Cup any way possible, ideal or otherwise.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:35 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
I feel like it just wasn't in the cards that year. With Manny's injury, we were running 3 lines throughout the playoffs and it caught up to us. IMO there were just too many guys hurt or out for a Cup win to be possible - we just weren't meant to win in 2011. Perhaps one day when we have better health and luck.

I have a hard time believing any team would feel that way, especially with the situation they were in. They'd already played 18 games just to get out of the West, which is already a lot, and coupled with the huge discrepancy in travel and the injuries they had it would be very unwise to feel like they could just turn it up if it got to a Game 7. It just makes no sense to play with that kind of mentality.

Hell, I remember some Canucks fans were arguing whether or not the team should deliberately lose one game in Boston just so they could win it all at home... f***ing ridiculous. For a franchise that has never won it, you would think they'd be happy to get a Cup any way possible, ideal or otherwise.
This blew my ****ing mind. WIN AS FAST AS HUMANELY POSSIBLE. AT HOME. ON THE ROAD. IN SPACE. It. Does. Not. Matter.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:46 PM
ThereGoesVirtanen
#53...the future

Yeah, that was ridiculous.

Still hurts to think about. Hurt even more to see L.A. have the easiest, most injury-free run ever as well.

ThereGoesVirtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 02:17 AM
OgoBoHo
FIRE DESJARDINS

vCash: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon4679 View Post
Where can u watch the games?
I don't watch the full games, just the highlights CanucksHD has up on YouTube.

OgoBoHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 02:22 AM
OgoBoHo
FIRE DESJARDINS

For me the SC run had A LOT more ups then it had downs (losing the Cup hurts tons though). From the Burrows G7 OT GWG, to Kesler dominating, to Bieksa's G5 OT GWG and everything in between.

I remember a lot from the SC run, from the games, to even how the weather was during the run. I remember quite a few of the intro music CBC had for their intros etc.

I have lots of good memories from that Cup run, and when I think about it, I think more of the good times instead of the bad because there were so many good memories to remember. Sure we lost the Cup, but as I age, I'll cherish this Cup run because it may be the only one I ever experience in my lifetime.

Old
11-18-2012, 03:38 AM
CookieCrumbs*
Heads Up!

Even reading this thread hurts my heart.

I'm not over it, not even close.

CookieCrumbs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:48 AM
Linden*
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Bad memories revived when I came in this thread. *Shudder*

Linden* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:43 AM
Crows*

I just woke up from a nightmare where I got blown up by an air strike. I opened this thread ... That feels worse

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
I just woke up from a nightmare where I got blown up by an air strike. I opened this thread ... That feels worse
Can't believe you wusses aren't over it yet.

I've moved my focus to LA to get my mind off Boston. As far as it goes for me, game 6 and 7 don't exist but are figments of my imagination.

Old
11-18-2012, 02:13 PM
ThereGoesVirtanen
#53...the future

Game 5 was our Cup win.

Old
11-18-2012, 02:18 PM
OgoBoHo
FIRE DESJARDINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
Game 5 was our Cup win.
Out of all the games, G5 is the one I hardly remember. G7 against the Hawks, or G2 in the SCF felt more like Cup wins.

Old
11-18-2012, 02:20 PM
ThereGoesVirtanen
#53...the future

I remember feeling SO much better after Game 2 than I did after Game 5. I was nervous as all hell after Game 5 but after Game 2 I thought we had it.

That feel after Burrows scored on the wrap-around...never going to forget that. It was almost as great as Game 7 vs. the Hawks. Downtown was absolutely bonkers.

Old
11-18-2012, 02:24 PM
OgoBoHo
FIRE DESJARDINS

Quote:
I remember feeling SO much better after Game 2 than I did after Game 5. I was nervous as all hell after Game 5 but after Game 2 I thought we had it.

That feel after Burrows scored on the wrap-around...never going to forget that. It was almost as great as Game 7 vs. the Hawks. Downtown was absolutely bonkers.
Agreed. My hands were blood red because I was clapping so hard and so long after that Burrows goal in the SCF. That feeling was amazing.

Old
11-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Why do you guys purposely put yourself through this?

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:53 PM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Quote:

Game 5 was the best for me because I was watching the game while I was at my grad dinner. I have no regret skipping the dance and going downtown to celebrate. Game 2 was also really cool at CBC Plaza. I remember just getting back into my lawnchair and when Burrows put it in 9 seconds in I was like "Did that really just happen?" only after I jumped up and down screaming like a schoolgirl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Agreed. My hands were blood red because I was clapping so hard and so long after that Burrows goal in the SCF. That feeling was amazing.
My hands were blood red from high-fiving so many people. I must have high-fived at least 1,000 people after game 2 and 1,500 after game 5.

Old
11-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Zanon

I still can't believe how that SCF unfolded. Forever devastated.

Zanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 11:11 PM
luongo321

vCash: 50
Quote:
Can't believe you wusses aren't over it yet.

I've moved my focus to LA to get my mind off Boston. As far as it goes for me, game 6 and 7 don't exist but are figments of my imagination.
Kings series? Embarrassing how our team looked after that Boston regular season game. Ugh, fml. that didn't work for me. AV should have been fired after that downward spiral. I don't care that we won the president's trophy the 2nd time around. That was just enough to get it done in the regular season and nothing else. It was quite clear that the team was thinking way ahead to future series when they should have been focusing more on the kings. Before the kings series started, the players were all talking about the experience they gained from the cup run and conserving energy blah blah blah. Well, sometimes the first team you meet is the best team so you better give it all you got. Still lessons to learn for this team.

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 11:23 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Why do you guys purposely put yourself through this?
Hockey is not worth spending all that time on if you don't care to soak in that bittersweet tease-y rollercoaster that ends in devastation, IMO.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 12:13 AM
ThereGoesVirtanen
#53...the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanon View Post
I still can't believe how that SCF unfolded. Forever devastated.
Deep down, I figured they'd find some way to blow it. They always do.

Then Game 2 happened and I let myself think it was over. All they had to do was show up for one game in Boston and it was over.

Old
12-01-2012, 01:07 AM
VinnyC
Rangers fan I SWEAR

Quote:

Then Game 2 happened and I let myself think it was over. All they had to do was show up for one game in Boston and it was over.
Pft, I never let myself get disappointed. We haven't won until we've won it. I need to keep repeating that to myself as a Cleveland sports fan...

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 01:07 AM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Quote:

Even when they won game 2, was the weird feeling that we were 2 wins away from the Cup. I remember it felt so surreal, I was so excited but also felt really calm knowing how hard the next two wins would be. After game 5 it really sunk in that we were in the Stanley Cup Finals, odd considering I was in attendance during game 1 but that was the happiest I've ever been.

I'm disappointed at the way things went the way they did, but I think that the riots made that seem less significant. To this day I find the riots one thousand times more disappointing than the loss, and considering I shed public tears (which just doesn't happen to me) you could understand how embarrassed I was to call myself a Vancouverite after that day.

Maybe I was one of the few downtown that day that understood the great privilege we had to watch the game outdoors with such nice weather and how rare that is. Sad to say I don't think we'll ever be able to enjoy that again. If we did, I'd be immensely happy but would wonder where our mayor's head would be at.

Old
12-01-2012, 01:08 AM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Pft, I never let myself get disappointed. We haven't won until we've won it. I need to keep repeating that to myself as a Cleveland sports fan...
The journey is the destination, my friend.

Old
12-01-2012, 01:18 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

vCash: 833
Quote:
The journey is the destination, my friend.
OT, but you were there at the signing too?!

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote