HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

2012-13 NBA Season Thread: A depressing alternative to the NHL Lockout

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-29-2012, 10:50 PM
  #26
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003
 
BenedictGomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PRNJ
Country: United States
Posts: 26,266
vCash: 500
Were every sport on the planet simultaneously on strike, the NBA still would not be an alternative.

BenedictGomez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 11:46 PM
  #27
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
Is there really a point of people coming in here to say they don't watch basketball?

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 11:49 PM
  #28
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
That's not true at all. My indifference towards the outcome probably had a lot to do with it. If I had any rooting interest, it was for neither to win (which obviously isn't possible). I hate the arrogance many Knicks fans showed due to a quick start this year (and last year as well), I hate the arrogance many Nets fans have shown this early in the year because the team isn't a joke for once. I've had many arguments with fans of each team about their teams (I'm not necessarily on a negative side either in these cases) and they are so thick-headed and oblivious that I can't root for either. When they're playing each other, I just get too annoyed by the whole thing and want nothing to do with it. It's similar to the feeling I get as a Mets fan watching Yankees/Phillies, even if its competitive or a big stakes game. I'm not saying there was no "excitement" to the game. There was just no personal excitement for me. I didn't get into it. I was largely indifferent and just didn't care about that specific game while watching it. I didn't even watch the whole thing because of it. The first half didn't grab me, I moved on.
Well the first step is finding a team to root for then. The only sport I can watch without any loyalty to a team is hockey, and even then I'm likely pulling for one or the other.

I don't see the Net fans being thickheaded, but then again I only know like 3 fellow Net fans. The Knick fans though, holy crap. ESPN NY was literally talking about what to do in the playoffs with Stat and Melo... after the 4th game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
What do you mean, putting the kibosh on Chris Paul to the Lakers is perfectly legitimate
Google Ewing Draft Lottery if you want to see some real shady stuff.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 11:55 PM
  #29
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
I think its a joke if the Spurs get Sanctioned. They did nothing wrong other then rest old players. Not like they are tanking or anything. They kept it competitive as well
Popovich has done this many times in the past. And I'm pretty sure he's coached 4 champions and has gotten to the playoffs every year since Duncan. He knows what he's doing.

If the reason behind them issuing sanctions is for the fans, it's a joke considering it's Miami. 75% of that arena is empty until midway through the 2nd quarter. Fans literally don't get there in time. It's a Cuban stereotype but they're always fashionably late. A few years ago the Heat would drape T-shirts on the first few rows of seats to make the stadium appear full on TV.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 01:19 AM
  #30
Ilkka Pikachu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Portugal
Posts: 4,307
vCash: 500
I read the title of this thread, and immediately remembered the "farewell to the Nets" thread we had a few months ago.

It's a shame that the NBA is such a massive **** show, though. I actually like basketball.

Ilkka Pikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 01:27 AM
  #31
DKQ
Generic User Title
 
DKQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Press Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie View Post
I read the title of this thread, and immediately remembered the "farewell to the Nets" thread we had a few months ago.

It's a shame that the NBA is such a massive **** show, though. I actually like basketball.
I like basketball, I hate the egos however. NBA doesn't even feel like a team sport, just an All-star or two that a coach surrounds with warm bodies for him to make plays off of

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 01:53 AM
  #32
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,205
vCash: 500
I don't like basketball. I don't even really like football that much, and I really can't sit through a baseball game anymore. I actually prefer NASCAR to all those, and their season just ended.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 07:36 AM
  #33
njdevils1982
Chico for HOF!!!
 
njdevils1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North of Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Were every sport on the planet simultaneously on strike, the NBA still would not be an alternative.

njdevils1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 07:42 AM
  #34
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333
 
MartyOwns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 10,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Is there really a point of people coming in here to say they don't watch basketball?
i get your point, but to answer your question honestly? yes. that's how bad basketball is

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 08:13 AM
  #35
Nick0930
Registered User
 
Nick0930's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,233
vCash: 500
The worst thing about the NBA is that it takes half an hour to play the final two minutes because of all the fouling.

Nick0930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 08:44 AM
  #36
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333
 
MartyOwns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 10,351
vCash: 500
i will say though, playing basketball can be a lot of fun. one of the best birthday gifts i ever got as a kid was my own hoop and ball.

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 09:52 AM
  #37
Jersey Man
Mad Dog
 
Jersey Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,218
vCash: 500
NBA is last ranked league imo but I still watch it occasionally. I've watched about 2 Nets games. I want to check out the Barclays Center real bad. School has been killing me this semester.

Jersey Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:22 PM
  #38
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
I like basketball, I hate the egos however. NBA doesn't even feel like a team sport, just an All-star or two that a coach surrounds with warm bodies for him to make plays off of
true but there are exceptions to the rule. This nets team is pretty unselfish. Spurs are always good to watch. Mavericks and warriors too.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:31 PM
  #39
njdevils1982
Chico for HOF!!!
 
njdevils1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North of Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,209
vCash: 500
ill say this.....the nba is good for comedy when i open the daily paper and read standings for the hell of it.

lakers 'super team' struggling and the woeful, pitiful, embarrassing raptors!

couldnt actually watch a game from start to finish.....i think i last about 2 or 3 minutes (thats what she said) and then change the channel.

njdevils1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 02:15 PM
  #40
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,205
vCash: 500
Bear with me cause this will be hard to describe, but this is an analogy I can think of. Basketball to me is like a scene in a movie, and I can't think of one off the top of my head, but for instance when a guy has to go on a date with a not so attractive girl, because the attractive girl wouldn't go out with him. He's taking her out, and during the whole scene he's just very uncomfortable to be there, and has that look on his face that you can tell he's uninterested in being there.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 02:49 PM
  #41
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
pretty much describes jonah hills character in get him to the greek and jason segels character in forgetting sarah marshall with every girl he gets with before mila kunis

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 03:36 PM
  #42
NJDevs26
Moderator
Status quo
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie View Post
I read the title of this thread, and immediately remembered the "farewell to the Nets" thread we had a few months ago.

It's a shame that the NBA is such a massive **** show, though. I actually like basketball.
The problem with the NBA is two-fold, one the fact that very few teams can ever win a championship going into a season. Something like nine teams have won titles in the last thirty years, and most in major markets like Chicago, Boston, LA, Miami, Philly way back when they were still relevant. San Antonio's one of the exceptions to that rule, they're like the Devils of that league. And you generally know going into a season who the best teams are going to be, and it plays out that way.

The other problem is the games themselves - it's back and forth which can be entertaining but predictable at the same time. Generally it's a five-point game either way in the last two minutes then it becomes a thirty-minute foul-shooting contest and timeout show after that.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 04:36 PM
  #43
Scott04
Registered User
 
Scott04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Well the first step is finding a team to root for then. The only sport I can watch without any loyalty to a team is hockey, and even then I'm likely pulling for one or the other.

I don't see the Net fans being thickheaded, but then again I only know like 3 fellow Net fans. The Knick fans though, holy crap. ESPN NY was literally talking about what to do in the playoffs with Stat and Melo... after the 4th game.



Google Ewing Draft Lottery if you want to see some real shady stuff.
Past the point of finding a team to root for. I'm not "new" to the NBA in any way. Been watching my entire life, rather well versed in any of the franchises, and the players of today and the past in all of these organizations. Nothing new to me, so if it hasn't clicked by now, it won't. I was a major Nets fan for most of my life. Once Ratner bought the team and started with the "we're going to move to Brooklyn" bit (years before a shovel was even put in the ground), I stepped away. Not an overnight thing, but gradually. Not trying to get into any sort of argument of why it's ok to go back, or how his role has diminished/it's not really moving/anything. I stepped away from being a fan years ago and have been totally fine with it. But because I was such a big fan for a while, I can't just move on to another team. I can have teams I want to see do well, but I have no feeling of fandom towards them. To individual players, sure, but if I try to go based on that, I'll be back to picking between 20 teams as I like so many players scattered throughout the league. Although that admiration is more so as a result of the individual talent and skill set more so than anything.

There are thickheaded Nets fans as there are for any team in any sport. Never is an entire fan base terrible, but never is one without its bad apples either. The Nets fans I know have really taken up the role of your stereotypical Rangers fan, or how many would view Jets fans in recent years (this year aside). Overhyping and non-stop trash talking before accomplishing anything, and most of it being based off the acquisition of personnel. Saw a lot of it in the off-season. The arrogance I've been seeing lately is essentially the Knicks fan arrogance of weeks ago. Knicks fans were arrogant because of their quick start while everyone had to tell them one/a few games this early in the year doesn't matter. Now it shifted to the Nets fans talking **** because they beat the Knicks last week, and someone needing to tell them one/a few games this early in the year does not make a season. But whatever. That applies in pretty much any sport with an 80+ game season. The Knicks fan issue is just a larger scale version of what I'm having to deal with for Nets fans. Its more intense homerism because they've been that much worse for that much longer. They had their "comeback" (acquiring Stoudemire + that initial success) a little before the Nets (acquiring Williams), so they add in the dynamic of being defensive when their rival team is talking about coming back to greatness.

Simply put, the whole fan dynamic is annoying the crap out of me more than anything. Especially when I know more about these peoples' teams than they do. I need smarter friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
i will say though, playing basketball can be a lot of fun. one of the best birthday gifts i ever got as a kid was my own hoop and ball.
Damn right it is. Spent a ton of my summers in high school/college playing basketball for hours each day 3-4 times a week. Best summers of my life. Still try to play here and there but its obviously harder. Still a ton of fun to play.

Scott04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 04:43 PM
  #44
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,205
vCash: 500
I remember being a young kid, and getting a hoop too. My mom's boyfriend at the time(A loser, and *******) told me if I hit the backboard usually(Isn't that what it's called?) the ball will go through the hoop. Man I learned how fast he was off. I'm not bad at shooting, but not one for playing an actual game.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 05:55 PM
  #45
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
Basketball is a great game because anybody can play it. It's really the only team sport you can continue to play in a pick-up format as you get older.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 06:02 PM
  #46
Devils Nick30
Registered User
 
Devils Nick30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6,765
vCash: 500
**** the nets

Devils Nick30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 06:02 PM
  #47
Scott04
Registered User
 
Scott04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Basketball is a great game because anybody can play it. It's really the only team sport you can continue to play in a pick-up format as you get older.
as someone who has been schooled by people at least twice my age on multiple occasions, I can confirm this.

Scott04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 06:10 PM
  #48
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
as someone who has been schooled by people at least twice my age on multiple occasions, I can confirm this.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 06:15 PM
  #49
Getzo5
The Punisher
 
Getzo5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Presov, SVK
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 21,973
vCash: 500
Man, was that beautiful. I do not miss the games at all, but these highlight reel worthy moments are something I do miss.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Basketball is a great game because anybody can play it. It's really the only team sport you can continue to play in a pick-up format as you get older.
Soccer, arguably. But yeah, basketball wins that one too.


Last edited by Getzo5: 11-30-2012 at 06:28 PM. Reason: because I can
Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 06:21 PM
  #50
Jersey Man
Mad Dog
 
Jersey Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Who is that? Dirty.

Jersey Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.