HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW John Gaudreau - Boston College, HE (2011, 104th overall, Calgary)

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2012, 08:41 PM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

vCash: 500
NCAA would wipe the floor with any CHL team. The speed and strength of those teams would be more than enough to handedly dominate a 7 game series.

Does the CHL develop more NHLers? Ofcourse! But the difference in talent is not that large, whereas as the difference between a team with an avg age of 21 vs 18 is HUGE!

Old
11-26-2012, 08:54 PM
Ashasx

I think it's fair to say that the CHL has proven to be the better developmental league, but I also believe that gap is closing.

I do think a team like Boston College would wipe the floor with CHL teams like Halifax an Portland.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:51 PM
Sean Monahan
JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I think it's fair to say that the CHL has proven to be the better developmental league, but I also believe that gap is closing.

I do think a team like Boston College would wipe the floor with CHL teams like Halifax an Portland.
their team last year was NASTY

Old
11-27-2012, 01:19 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
their team last year was NASTY
Amazingly, they're still the best team in the league even after losing three of their best players in Kreider, Cross, and Dumolin.

It takes a special kind of coach/team to pull that off.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:40 AM
ReLyT

Send a message via MSN to ReLyT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBakester66 View Post
B) The CIS is nowhere comparable to either league. How many NHLers have been even played in the CIS? I can think of one. Joel Ward. Joel Ward has one of the coolest paths to the NHL ever. Look it up.
Steve Rucchin. Look it up.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:54 AM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Amazingly, they're still the best team in the league even after losing three of their best players in Kreider, Cross, and Dumolin.

Paul Carey and Barry Almeida were pretty darn good too, it certainly helps getting Gaudreau and Parker Milner, arguably the best goalie in the country back though.

Old
11-27-2012, 02:13 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post

York has 5 NCAA title rings. Four of BC's five national titles came under his helm. The only title that BC has won not under York was in 1949. Three in the last five NCAA titles have been won by BC. He's reached the final seven times in 18 years as the coach. That's means almost 40% of the time that York has been coach of BC, he has reached the championship game. By my count there are 23 BC alumni that were playing in the NHL last season.

Those are just some fun facts.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:23 AM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy1975 View Post
I know this is HF Boards so hyperbole is at a premium, but I think Gaudreau may have the best hockey IQ/sense of any US player since Brett Hull. I'm not sure about P. Kane. In fact, the only US players I can think of that may have had better hockey IQ/sense are Hull and Leetch.

Whether physically he can play in the NHL is the only question.
I'm surprised that as of yet, not a single person has commented on this. That's incredible praise.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:38 AM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyYourTheDevils View Post
NCAA would wipe the floor with any CHL team. The speed and strength of those teams would be more than enough to handedly dominate a 7 game series.

Does the CHL develop more NHLers? Ofcourse! But the difference in talent is not that large, whereas as the difference between a team with an avg age of 21 vs 18 is HUGE!
I dunno, I think the difference between the top CHL teams and NCAA teams is close.

I think it would be really cool to see a Memorical Cup Champion vs. NCAA Champion match. Would be really interesting to see how they stack up.

Old
11-27-2012, 12:18 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
The coach of Dartmouth who has been around the Big East for 15 years or so compared Gaudreau to Paul Kariya after the game this weekend.
Wow, thats big praise. I try not to get too excited about Johnny as he still has a long way to go, but its hard not to when we has gotten so much praise lately.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Gary83*

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2012...eam-usas-core/

Love that goal too.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Richiebottles
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bxQb View Post
CHL = 16-21
NCAA = 18-22

It really isn't that large of an age difference.
Actually I thought that they two leagues would be comparable... until I went to an NCAA game. The guys are so much bigger than in the CHL and are all around better players. I saw Minnesota play and a guy like Bjugstad would destroy the CHL.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:20 PM
RomersWorld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Actually I thought that they two leagues would be comparable... until I went to an NCAA game. The guys are so much bigger than in the CHL and are all around better players. I saw Minnesota play and a guy like Bjugstad would destroy the CHL.
A guy like Charlie Coyle did destroy the CHL, although it was in the Q. Was a 2 PPG player in the playoffs.

Old
11-29-2012, 07:50 AM
orangeandblack

Its too tough to compare NCAA and CHL, I don't know why people do it.

Its like comparing a Bantam Major team to a Midget Minor team.

I would use this analogy. Both leagues have good players, but definitely more higher end in the CHL. Take one of the top 5/10 Bantam Major AAA teams in the USA. Half the team will end up playing somewhere higher up. Put them against a top 5/10 Midget Minor AA team. 1,2,3 kids from the team may go somewhere higher up.

THe midget minor team (NCAA) should win due to age, size, strength, depth, but the Bantam Major (CHL) team could play with them, and maybe win a few games. THe Bantam team will have more higher end kids, but the age difference is a factor. The Midget Minor team will definitely have a few kids go higher up, but most of the team are just good solid hockey players.

The top Bantam Major kids could do really well against Midget Minors, and the top Midget Minors would destroy Bantam Major.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:06 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBakester66 View Post
B) The CIS is nowhere comparable to either league. How many NHLers have been even played in the CIS? I can think of one. Joel Ward. Joel Ward has one of the coolest paths to the NHL ever. Look it up.
The calibre of CIS is very close to NCAA, go look at the preseason matchups between the teams. NCAA is a bit better mostly due to getting NHL draft picks out of USHL or USNDP. CIS is mostly kids who have moved on from the NHL dream to get an education, but still among the best CHL(mostly graduation 20 year olds) and Jr.A players.

There is a pretty long list that have played in the NHL like Randy Gregg, Ridley, Rucchin, Darche, Shelley, Stock, Ward, St.Denis, Boyce plus some older ones like Vilgrain, Bourgeois etc

http://www.coppernblue.com/2011/9/4/...lized-scouting

Lots of Euro leagues have mostly guys that won't ever play an NHL game and their teams would be NCAA teams like the Swiss, German and Swedish leagues.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:16 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The calibre of CIS is very close to NCAA, go look at the preseason matchups between the teams. NCAA is a bit better mostly due to getting NHL draft picks out of USHL or USNDP. CIS is mostly kids who have moved on from the NHL dream to get an education, but still among the best CHL(mostly graduation 20 year olds) and Jr.A players.

There is a pretty long list that have played in the NHL like Randy Gregg, Ridley, Rucchin, Darche, Shelley, Stock, Ward, St.Denis, Boyce plus some older ones like Vilgrain, Bourgeois etc

Lots of Euro leagues have mostly guys that won't ever play an NHL game and their teams would be NCAA teams like the Swiss, German and Swedish leagues.
I wouldn't use pre-season games to suggest that the CIS is "very close" to the NCAA.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post

The preseason is a terrible way to make a definitive statement about any team or league.

The 2009-2010 Chicago Blackhawks had a losing record in the preseason. They even lost to the Zurich Lions.

So is the NLA comparable to the NHL then? The Lions finished 6th in their league that year, but they beat the Stanley Cup champions.

Last edited by Sevanston: 11-29-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old
11-30-2012, 07:57 PM
F l a m e s
#winitforgio

Gaudreau with a beauty assist. Stick tied up, under pressure, so he kicks the puck to a wide open winger! Amazing.

Old
11-30-2012, 07:59 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 1456
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
Gaudreau with a beauty assist. Stick tied up, under pressure, so he kicks the puck to a wide open winger! Amazing.
Nice, do you got the game on TV? I'm with Shaw, they have Michigan on instead (B10 Network).

Old
11-30-2012, 08:06 PM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
Nice, do you got the game on TV? I'm with Shaw, they have Michigan on instead (B10 Network).
B10 should be Mich State and Ohio State

NBC Sports channel has the BU / BC game

Old
11-30-2012, 08:10 PM
F l a m e s
#winitforgio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
Ya man. Hey at least you can keep us up to date with Matt Deblouw tonight!

Old
11-30-2012, 09:05 PM
F l a m e s
#winitforgio

Johnny scores! Another 2 point night... 21 points in 12 games.

Last edited by F l a m e s: 11-30-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old
11-30-2012, 09:11 PM
Ashasx

*12 games

Old
11-30-2012, 09:46 PM
F l a m e s
#winitforgio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
*12 games
Typo fixed. The kid is insane

Old
12-01-2012, 03:26 AM
JohnnyGoodDro

Real excited to watch him at the wjcs. Should be his coming out party.

Closed Thread