HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Ilya Kovalchuk vs Claude Giroux

View Poll Results: Which center would you rather have?
Ilya Kovalchuk 56 44.09%
Claude Giroux 71 55.91%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-30-2012, 06:41 PM
SMantzas
Church of Corsi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
I don't think you know what you're talking about. Giroux is dirty? Never heard that before. Giroux also led the league in PP points last year while turning Hartnell into the second highest PP goal scorer.
The flyers also had wayyyy more pps than NJ

SMantzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 07:50 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Giroux is better defensively. Not by a lot, and he's not a study defensively, but he's better than Kovy in that aspect.

Hits are registered differently at different venues, but those are some serious differences. Giroux is just the more gritty player, and more physical in terms of hitting. Kovy is better at using his body in the offensive zone though (protection, along the wall, etc.)

Giroux had a higher P/60 in 5 v 4 situations.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...7+17+18+19+20#

Roo Mad Bro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Noob616

For next season alone, probably Kovalchuk, but going forward it'd be Giroux just because of his age, both are elite forwards. Kovy isn't old by any means but Giroux would be a better age to complement the rest of Montreal's core (Galchenyuk, Subban, Price, Pacioretty, although Galchenyuk likely becomes expendable with Giroux a Hab).

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Gavy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
rofl... no. He doesn't provide 2-way play in any way shape or form.
I guess you didn't watch any Devils games last year. He is now officialy a 2-way player

Gavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 09:09 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
The flyers also had wayyyy more pps than NJ
Meh, the players make the PP and when Kovy was in ATL, he dominated the PP by himself.

He's passing up way to many shots now, but that's his new game, so you can't really blame the Giroux and the flyers for capitalizing. It's not like the NJ PP isn't feeding Kovy plenty of chances either.

Sky04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 09:30 PM
lboogie42*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
Meh, the players make the PP and when Kovy was in ATL, he dominated the PP by himself.

He's passing up way to many shots now, but that's his new game, so you can't really blame the Giroux and the flyers for capitalizing. It's not like the NJ PP isn't feeding Kovy plenty of chances either.
both are true. but i think that being on the same line with parise made him feel the pressure to share the puck. some of the shots he passed up were annoying. i think he will be much more selfish now and thats what many people want to see.

now with the pp, most of the oppurtunities given him were slap shots from the point. sometimes theyd get the cycle going to where kovy would move to the upper/lower circle and hed get off his wicked wrist shot which is almost always a goal. so if kovy isnt playing the point, hes much more dynamic on the pp.

lboogie42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 09:44 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by lboogie42 View Post
both are true. but i think that being on the same line with parise made him feel the pressure to share the puck. some of the shots he passed up were annoying. i think he will be much more selfish now and thats what many people want to see.

now with the pp, most of the opportunities given him were slap shots from the point. sometimes they'd get the cycle going to where kovy would move to the upper/lower circle and he'd get off his wicked wrist shot which is almost always a goal. so if kovy isn't playing the point, hes much more dynamic on the pp.
Yeah every time I catch a NJ game, I'm so frustrated when he doesn't take that huge slapper from the point like he used to.

I disagree with the 2nd part though, he's one of the best PP QB's in the league, he's best utilized there, unless NJ has a adequate replacement (which they don't atm), barring any injury or loss in his shot, he'll rack up way more points just taking shots from the point.

My fav Kovy vid of all time.

Sky04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 09:53 PM
lboogie42*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
Yeah every time I catch a NJ game, I'm so frustrated when he doesn't take that huge slapper from the point like he used to.

I disagree with the 2nd part though, he's one of the best PP QB's in the league, he's best utilized there, unless NJ has a adequate replacement (which they don't atm), barring any injury or loss in his shot, he'll rack up way more points just taking shots from the point.
well with the addition of zidlicky last season, and peter harrold coming up and showing his ability on the pp, id like to see kovy in the circle. for the first unit anway. with the 2nd unit u could double shift kovy and put him at the point or put larsson and greene at the point. either would be fine. all the defensmen i just named are capable of qaurterbacking a good pp. but yea i see your point. hes one of the best in the league at QBing at the point on the pp.

lboogie42* is offline   Reply With Quote