HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 6.0 - "Gally Got Backhand" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2012, 08:51 PM
That

vCash: 500
7-4 win for the Sarnia Sting over Saginaw. Galchenyuk picked up 3 points, while combining with his linemates for 13 points tonight .

Galchenyuk start off the game with an assist just a minute in. He made a nice pass from the circle to Boucher who sniped it, but after that it all went down hill. He did a nice job along the boards, but got caught napping as the puck came out and Saginaw scored from a point shot that got tipped in. Galchenyuk had a few defensive miscues as well. He had a multiple "just-missed" passes. Either too far back or too far ahead. One of them was particularly bad, it was on a scoring chance and he lightly passed it to the defender. That was about the end of his struggles for the night as he picked up his play immediately after. His line had a great passing play, including a quick one-touch pass from Galchenyuk, and then he drove the net and almost put it in. He also came flying down the ice to jump on the loose puck and make a nice pass. In the second Galchenyuk carried his momentum from the last 5 minutes of the first or so. He had a few nice chances in close but couldn't bury them. He back checked hard all period and did good work along the boards. He had one particularly great shift. He intercepted a pass and then tried this crazy, awkward looking pass that no one was able to pick up, and then he came flying down the wing and got a nice chance. A few seconds later he set up Sarault, but he rang it off the post. The next shift he picked up his second assist. He used his great hands and strength in unison to gain control of the puck multiple times in succession before the puck came to Boucher who completed the trick. He had a filthy move (I'm becoming desensitized to these because he does them like 4 to 5 times a game) where he went around the defender and got a great chance. In the third, Galchenyuk was a bit quieter. He lost of the puck in the offensive zone and it lead to a goal, not entirely his fault though, he was for the most part a harmless looking play. He had a great scoring chance at one point in the second. He was floating in the neutral zone and his team was pinned in there zone, and he decided to come back and help out. He got the puck out immediately and got a great scoring came from it. Galchenyuk picked up a goal tonight from in tight from the side of the net. A goal that he's been robbed on a large amount of times this season.

Overall, I thought he played a solid game. He was a consistent offensive threat all night, defensively he was not. He had a great second period in which his back checking reminded me of Marian Hossa, but other than that he was pretty lazy. I'm starting to notice a trend. The games where he creates the most chances, are all him. He has a great game in his own zone and most his chances come from the counter attack. Point is he has to be more consistent in his own zone, he looks better offensively when he's great in his own end. Tonight he was solid, he could have been better though, but you can't complain with a 7-4 whipping and 3 points.

-Reid Boucher was the best player on the ice tonight. 3 goals and 2 assists. He was dangerous all night and could have had 6 goals. He was fantastic.
-Charlie Sarault is starting to climb the scoring latter. Which is good, this production in long overdue. That's his second 5th point night in a row, and has four, 4+ point nights this month.
-Davis Brown played in about 20 days. He picked up his first and second career OHL points and was all over the ice. He created a ton of chances and used his incredible wrist shot a couple times. Best game I've seen him play in the O, I have a feeling I'm going to be doing more of this on him.
-Alex Basso and Connor Murphy were once again awesome tonight. They make a great pairing.
-Anthony DeAngelo was solid tonight, apart from possibly the worst drop pass I've seen since the last time he tried to do it. He's one of the most skilled defenceman I've ever seen in the OHL, he just has to stop playing hero and simplify things.
-I've mentioned him in the past and yet again I was impressed with Moutrey. He brought his full bag of tricks tonight. He finished his checks, he was agitating all night, he scored a nice goal, and had a nice behind the back pass. He cooled off as the night went on though, but for the most part he was great.
-Vincent Trocheck is a player who I've always thought was overrated, but he's having great year. He scored two goals and really showed why he's one of the best players in the OHL.
-Dalton Young had a fantastic game. He picked up 2 assists and almost scored an incredible end to end rush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasybaseballchamp View Post
Sarault closing in on Galchenyuk for team lead in scoring
About time. He's one of the best players in the OHL, but his production was disappointing at the beginning of the season. It really wouldn't surprise me if Sarault actually lead Sarnia in scoring at the end of the year, actually I'd say at the beginning of the season I expected it. When you take into account that Galchenyuk will miss games from the WJC and that Sarault is an OA it doesn't seem too crazy.

Last edited by That: 11-30-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old
11-30-2012, 09:06 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
-Reid Boucher was the best player on the ice tonight.
Always great to read your analysis!

I've noticed a trend: Galchenyuk is rarely the best player on the ice on any given game it seems Seems like there is frequently another player having an even better game.

A lot is written about his defensive game. How does it compare to the rest of his team? I know it's probably hard to compare, but I'm wondering if he's one of the more lazy ones, average, etc.

Old
11-30-2012, 09:08 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post

I've noticed a trend: Galchenyuk is rarely the best player on the ice on any given game it seems Seems like there is frequently another player having an even better game.

A lot is written about his defensive game. How does it compare to the rest of his team? I know it's probably hard to compare, but I'm wondering if he's one of the more lazy ones, average, etc.
He usually is the better player actually, his defensive game is fine, could use some work though

Old
11-30-2012, 09:23 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
I'll have ice time logs up by late tonight, early tomorrow.

overlords

Old
11-30-2012, 09:28 PM
That

Quote:

Thanks

I'd say more often than not he's Sarnia's best player, however comparing him to everyone on the ice is different story. I'd say he's had about 4 or 5 games where's completely taken over and easily been the best player on the ice. Which is a fairly large amount of games.

If I had to rank all the forwards on his team in terms of defensive play:
Sarault
Galchenyuk
Latta
Boucher

Sarault is a much more relaxed defensive player who is very consistent in his defensive effort, whereas Galchenyuk is aggressive while being positionally sound, but wildly inconsistent. Aside from consistency, Galchenyuk needs to work on his using his body more in his own zone, like along the boards, in the slot, and puck protection.

Old
11-30-2012, 09:29 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Cogeco highlights, we only see his goal:

Old
11-30-2012, 10:58 PM
AJMHABS
Vanek!!!

Thanks for the updates, That. I can't say it enough how much i appreciate it.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:53 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
Thanks for the updates, That. I can't say it enough how much i appreciate it.
So do I,

Galchenyuk is really putting points day in day out. Signs of a potential pts scorer in the nhl, dont want to put himself that high expectations, but the guy is for real.

Old
12-01-2012, 12:20 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Galchenyuk has now catched up Grigorenko with 44 pts with the same number of games played... in a much better league... on a way weaker team...

Talking about Grigorenko, Im watching the Remps game tonight and he has been pretty quiet all game long.. The one standing out for the Remps is easily Erne, great hockey player, possibly mid first round pick.. If Duclair keeps playing that poorly, he will drop late in the second round or possibly third round, pretty questionnable hockey IQ.. Not impressed with Sorensen either..
This is why Trevor Timmins gets paid the big bucks.

Old
12-01-2012, 09:21 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Full highlights: http://ontariohockeyleague.com/video...5f2df36577a915

That 1st assist was indeed disgusting.

The determination on the 2nd assist to get that puck was also nice to see.

And on his goal, I love how he just decided to turn on the jets and go right to the net.

Last edited by Marc the Habs Fan: 12-01-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old
12-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

It appears I will be attending the Sarnia/Windsor game on Friday. I am ridiculously excited.

12-01-2012, 10:08 AM
zzoo

After his "rusty" start (1.3 ppg in the first 16 games), he has maintained an impressive 2.3 ppg in the last 10 games. In total, his ppg is now 1.69.

I hope that he can finish the season with ppg above 1.8. That would be fantastic.

Old
12-01-2012, 10:23 AM
Et le But

So how about that...
Grigorenko: 24 G, 20 A, 44 Pts in 26 GP (1.69 Pts/GP)
Galchenyuk: 18 G, 26 A, 44 Pts in 26 GP (1.69 Pts/GP)

Mind you Gally is playing against better competition with a much worse supporting cast...

Old
12-01-2012, 10:26 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
So how about that...
Grigorenko: 24 G, 20 A, 44 Pts in 26 GP (1.69 Pts/GP)
Galchenyuk: 18 G, 26 A, 44 Pts in 26 GP (1.69 Pts/GP)

Mind you Gally is playing against better competition with a much worse supporting cast...
You know, its not even surprising Galchenyuk has catched him.

There are reasons why one was picked 12th and the other 3rd overall even after missing nearly an entire season to injury... The only ones who doubted the pick are reactionary fans who evaluate players based on stats gathered during 10 games.

Old
12-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post

There are reasons why one was picked 12th and the other 3rd overall even after missing nearly an entire season to injury... The only ones who doubted the pick are reactionary fans who evaluate players based on stats gathered during 10 games.
Agreed, but it's still nice to see even the trolls can't use the stat argument right now to express regret.

Old
12-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Agreed, but it's still nice to see even the trolls can't use the stat argument right now to express regret.
There are people regretting this pick?

Old
12-01-2012, 11:04 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
There are people regretting this pick?
Yes, after the first 10 games or so, a few trolls came out to say how they thought we should have taken Grigorenko. Haven't seen them for a while though.

Old
12-01-2012, 11:05 AM
vad87

Quote:

One has and looks like that when he looses

They other one is to go in the corners and is willing to when the games get toughers

Wich one is Gally?

Old
12-01-2012, 11:26 AM
SeriousFan09

I think we can enjoy Galchenyuk's success without going after Grigorenko.

Both are 18 years old, deciding who is the best is a discussion for 5, 10, 15 and 20 years from now.

Old
12-01-2012, 11:58 AM
poetryinmotion

I noticed that on his goal he was just about to do some fancy stick work in between his legs but then pivoted his whole body around in the end. That would have been incredible..

Old
12-01-2012, 12:14 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

vCash: 250
i am expecting a huge game by galchenyuk tonight against peterborough. never been more excited about a prospect then this guy.......

Old
12-01-2012, 12:30 PM
odishabs

Quote:

as a member of the Sarnia Sting organization, i can assure you Alex is the best player on the ice about 80% of the time, regardless of what he blogs (although they are nice to read). Constantly makes lesser players like reid and charlie look better than they are.

Cody

Old
12-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Andros777

Quote:

Actually we doubted, for good reason, because he blew his knee out last year.

Old
12-01-2012, 12:54 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

Anyone else on here going to the game tonight? Ill be wearing my Gionta jersey!

Old
12-01-2012, 12:55 PM
jedimyrmidon

Many want Gally to be traded to a stronger team and yet his father is an asst. coach of the Sting: wouldn't that be a huge reason why he wouldn't be moved? His father probably wants to play a big part in helping his son develop.

Closed Thread