HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Conferences Play Musical Chairs (Boise stays in MWC)

Old
12-01-2012, 02:31 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

vCash: 500
is the endgame for the ACC really that bad off? Even if they lose all their prestige schools, the remaining schools would own the Orange Bowl and have an ok TV deal and a guaranteed contract bowl spot for 12 years. We'd essentially have the Big 4, Midsize 1 and Little 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I don't think GT would be a wise move at all. On the surface it doesn't look like a bad move, acceptable football/basketball, major metropolitan area, good academics. But then they would basically be the Boston College of the Big Ten, no rival, culturally miles apart even from Maryland, geographically isolated, their fans would hate it with such intensity that you'd think the Big Ten is Sherman's advancing army.
Yes to this all day. The east coast additions were sort of acceptable because the geography still worked at the end of the day... these were contiguous regions with a lot of B1G alumni and the two schools were good cultural fits as large land grant schools. The idea of continuing down the coast with UNC (or Notre Dame) as the ultimate prize is compelling in that regard, so rumors linking the B1G to the Virginia schools make sense. But Georgia Tech? That's just nonsense.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 06:09 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
The GOR isn't going to stop that conference from blowing up if Texas and OU want to leave.

Most of the debunked rumors so far seem to be coming out of WVU "insiders." The people who actually know what Delany's up to aren't exactly known for posting it all over the interwebs.
Won't disagree with that too much, especially the part about the so called insiders. But I have to think if UT and OU were leaving for the Pac it already would have happened by now. Hell it already nearly did happen twice now. Just WAY too much smoke there in previous years that has basically all disappeared. LHN was a non-starter for the Pac, and the Pac was the only legit conference that would have let Texas and OU pick their traveling partners (presumably Tech and Okie State).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
is the endgame for the ACC really that bad off? Even if they lose all their prestige schools, the remaining schools would own the Orange Bowl and have an ok TV deal and a guaranteed contract bowl spot for 12 years. We'd essentially have the Big 4, Midsize 1 and Little 5.
Would be interesting to see what becomes of that bowl deal and TV deal if the ACC does get raided even further.

Last edited by DaveG: 12-01-2012 at 06:21 AM.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 06:54 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Won't disagree with that too much, especially the part about the so called insiders. But I have to think if UT and OU were leaving for the Pac it already would have happened by now. Hell it already nearly did happen twice now. Just WAY too much smoke there in previous years that has basically all disappeared. LHN was a non-starter for the Pac, and the Pac was the only legit conference that would have let Texas and OU pick their traveling partners (presumably Tech and Okie State).
Yeah, I don't see it happening either unless ESPN decides to cut its losses with LHN. Still, that's where Pac would look first if they want to get to 16.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 07:18 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Yeah, I don't see it happening either unless ESPN decides to cut its losses with LHN. Still, that's where Pac would look first if they want to get to 16.
Yep, no way in hell would they want anything to do with BYU and Boise's academics are flat out laughable. But even if they were to add them they'd still need 2 more teams, and there just aren't that many other viable options there without going after UT and OU. I mean they'd have to be on some seriously good **** to add any of Nevada, UNLV, Hawaii, and New Mexico, yet alone 2 of them.

Old
12-01-2012, 03:27 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Georgia Tech and UVA
I would be okay with both teams, truth be told, but I'm not buying it right now.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 03:34 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

GT just doesn't make any kind of sense. If that reporter's to be believed though we'll find out on Monday.

Old
12-01-2012, 06:37 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
GT just doesn't make any kind of sense.
Sure it does, actually. Brand new and large market for the Big Ten Network + easier access of recruiting in the South + Georgia Tech is a good academic fit for the Big Ten as well. If Georgia Tech was in a state bordering the Big Ten, they probably would've been on the top of the conference's expansion rumors since the very beginning.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:10 PM
The Last Baron*

If GT and UVA bolt, the Big 12 should offer invites to FSU and Clemson.

Would be cool to see the ACC dissolve before the Big East.

The Last Baron* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 07:18 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

The ACC wouldn't dissolve. They'd just take more Big East teams. Trickle Down Athletics.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 07:21 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Sure it does, actually. Brand new and large market for the Big Ten Network + easier access of recruiting in the South + Georgia Tech is a good academic fit for the Big Ten as well. If Georgia Tech was in a state bordering the Big Ten, they probably would've been on the top of the conference's expansion rumors since the very beginning.
With the Big Ten taking possibly two more teams from the ACC, it's also Delaney giving Notre Dame a massive middle finger in the process. Which I love.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 08:47 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Bud Peterson says GT is going nowhere. He would be the one to know...

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

I'd have to think our focus is on Virginia and UNC realistically, or Notre Dame

And the ACC would add Cincy (if they don't land in the Big 12) and the rest of the acceptable Big East football schools before they ever dissolved

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 11:41 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
FSU to BIG 12 rumors getting a bit louder.

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-footb...to-the-big-12/

The ACC is ripe for the picking. I would expect a team like Clemson to join FSU if it chooses to move. The Big 12 is in a +2 scenario, in all likelihood, so I doubt they take just one team. Frankly, they would probably take another two teams in the future if they could get some big gets.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 12:23 AM
The Last Baron*

As a WVU fan, I'd love to see FSU and Clemson join the conference.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:43 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Baron View Post
Would be fantastic for us. An eastern division would help with travel and FSU would keep the Florida pipeline pumping.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 02:30 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

It would certainly be an intriguing option, to say the least, as it would effectively put the SEC and Big 12 in direct competition for recruits in the southeast if they had a South Carolina-based team and a Florida-based team.

Also a reasonable argument for the Big Ten thinking about Georgia Tech, too.

Old
12-11-2012, 07:51 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

I wondered how long before this would happen.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...ls-sources-say

Quote:
The seven Big East Catholic, non-FBS schools met with Big East commissioner Mike Aresco on Sunday to express their concerns for the direction of the conference, multiple Big East sources confirmed to ESPN.com on Monday.

Sources said the New York meeting was the first among the seven schools (Marquette, DePaul, St. John's, Georgetown, Providence, Seton Hall and Villanova) and ultimately could lead to them splitting from the Big East's football members.
I was in high school in the years right after the Big east was formed, and that was also the time of the expansion and ibncreased interest in the NCAA tournament. And those original Big East schools (St. John's with Carnesecca, G-town with John Thompson, 'Nova with Rollie Massimino, Seton Hall with PJ Calresimo, plus the 'Cuse and Jim Boeheim) were players every year. That's still the Big East to me, I guess, even though it hasn't really been for some time.

Last edited by Double-Shift Lassé: 12-11-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Double-Shift Lassé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 12:32 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Baron View Post
My thoughts exactly, though I doubt they'd stop at those 2 if the ACC does indeed fall apart. Question is who they would make the move on to head towards 16 like the Big Ten+4 and SECSECSEC inevitably will.

SEC wants into NC and VA badly, very badly. But they also don't want the Big 12 becoming powerful enough to be a factor on the east coast which would inevitably happen should they add Clemson and FSU. Protectionism doesn't seem like the SEC's game though so they'll probably go for UNC or NCSU and VT. B1G seems hellbent on UVa and GT, which is kindof confusing to me as the only one of the two that's appealing program wise is GT, and they're still a distant second in their home state. But the Big 12 could offer UNC and Duke the package deal that the SEC and B1G won't, and can add Pitt and Cuse, UConn, or Louisville as traveling partners for WVU.

4 Divisions: SW: Texas, Baylor, OU, oSu; Plains: KU, K State, TCU, Texas Tech; North: Iowa St, WVU, Pitt, (insert other ex-Big East team here); Coastal: FSU, Clemson, UNC, Duke

Of course, that's ALL hyperbole and REALLY stretching things... and assuming that the B1G isn't going to go to the newest "insider" (lol) rumor of 20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
I wondered how long before this would happen.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...ls-sources-say

I was in high school in the years right after the Big east was formed, and that was also the time of the expansion and ibncreased interest in the NCAA tournament. And those original Big East schools (St. John's with Carnesecca, G-town with John Thompson, 'Nova with Rollie Massimino, Seton Hall with PJ Calresimo, plus the 'Cuse and Jim Boeheim) were players every year. That's still the Big East to me, I guess, even though it hasn't really been for some time.
KNEW it was going to happen eventually. When Big East 2.0 went to an 8 and 8 format it was a recipe for disaster. I know they wanted to maintain the basketball school balance but adding Marquette and DePaul when they added USF (who was a nobody at the time), Lousiville, and Cincy (who were both basketball schools) was basically the biggest indicator that the conference didn't take football seriously and that it was just a matter of time before the whole thing fell apart.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:46 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
KNEW it was going to happen eventually. When Big East 2.0 went to an 8 and 8 format it was a recipe for disaster. I know they wanted to maintain the basketball school balance but adding Marquette and DePaul when they added USF (who was a nobody at the time), Lousiville, and Cincy (who were both basketball schools) was basically the biggest indicator that the conference didn't take football seriously and that it was just a matter of time before the whole thing fell apart.
I think that fate was sealed earlier. By the time the ACC pre-emptively raided the Big East and took three fairly prominent football schools, you had the writing on the wall.

Who would the Big East add to make up for the loss of Miami, Virginia Tech and Boston College in football? The Big Ten is the behemoth blocking any look to the West, the ACC acted to seal off the Southern route. There just aren't enough big football schools in the East to maintain both the ACC and the Big East as big-time football conferences once one of them decides to go to 12+ members.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 01:26 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I think that fate was sealed earlier. By the time the ACC pre-emptively raided the Big East and took three fairly prominent football schools, you had the writing on the wall.

Who would the Big East add to make up for the loss of Miami, Virginia Tech and Boston College in football? The Big Ten is the behemoth blocking any look to the West, the ACC acted to seal off the Southern route. There just aren't enough big football schools in the East to maintain both the ACC and the Big East as big-time football conferences once one of them decides to go to 12+ members.
Won't disagree with that. Really it all can be traced back to a few things: 1 - the rejection of Paterno's proposed eastern football conference or the 1982 rejection of Penn State when they applied to join the Big East. and 2 - the SEC's adding South Carolina and Arkansas to go to 12 and the SWC/Big 8 merger which led to the 12+ team conference eventually becoming the new standard. Eastern football was just a 3 decade long ticking time bomb after that which just finally detonated completely this past year, wiping out what was left of the old eastern independents that were borderline dominant on the college football scene for years... at least as far as the East Coast goes. Now there flat out isn't a regional power in the east anymore since I consider the Southeast its own region unto itself and frankly ACC football has been struggling for relevancy since FSU started to decline, even with adding a very solid VT program.

Old
12-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

RIP Big East

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:56 AM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

vCash: 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
RIP Big East
Great news

Gootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:44 PM
The Last Baron*

For a conference that gets a lot of ****, at least they didn't put up stinkers every year in BCS bowls like the ACC.

Will be interesting to see what happens...I can see SDSU and Boise staying in the MWC, leaving the ex-CUSA schools and Cincy/UConn/USF/Temple alone on an island.

Old
12-13-2012, 12:44 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

In other news, millions of diehard college football fans suddenly remembered that there still was Big East football.

Reached for comment, fans of the SEC, Big 12, Big Ten, and Pac-12 collectively said, "Really.... why?" upon hearing the news of the Big East Conference having football teams. Meanwhile, ACC fans said something, but nobody else cared as it wasn't about basketball.

At press time, fans of Boise State were reportedly crying again.

Old
12-13-2012, 12:46 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
The ACC might just end up being a massive basketball conference.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote