HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Better Duo, Halak and Elliot or Thomas and Rask

View Poll Results: Which combination of goalies would you rather have for your team?
Jaroslav Halak and Brian Elliot 33 28.21%
Tim Thomes and Tuukka Rask 84 71.79%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-30-2012, 02:34 PM
Caballo Blanco
2014 Conn Smythe

vCash: 500
Thomas's career is over, unfair poll. I'll take Rask/Khudobin for the record.

Caballo Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 02:52 PM
SensPromo
AKA "Inf4mous0ne"

vCash: 50
Elliott drags his pairing wayyy down. He had a good season splitting games with Halak, but when it's just him in the picture, he dropped down to average/borderline below average. And that's with a good defensive team.

SensPromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie

vCash: 3000
Thomas/Halak

Rask

Elliott

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

NHL Standings Under Different Point Systems
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 03:00 PM
CaseyPierroZabotel17
I'm the Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Thomas is the best of the bunch, but he's nearing the end of the line. Halak and Elliott are both still fairly young, 27, so I'd rather have them moving forward.
I've been under the impression for some reason that Elliott was at least 30+ and was just having some REALLY fluky season after a pretty long career's worth of mediocrity. maybe he and Halak can actually sort of keep up their high level of play from last year.

I still voted for Thomas/Rask, they've been consistently good for longer. if StL's duo can keep up their play i'd take them.

Last edited by CaseyPierroZabotel17: 11-30-2012 at 03:43 PM.
CaseyPierroZabotel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 03:00 PM
TieClark

Halak

Thomas/Rask

Elliott

IMO... So I see them fairly even

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 03:17 PM
darglor

I'd probably take the Boston duo even if it was Rask/Khudobin... Elliot is a disaster and Rask has seemed comparable to Halak so far.

darglor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 03:39 PM
lboogie42*

if elliot plays like he did last year and halak continues to play very solid goaltending id pick them. moving forward and now.

lboogie42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 04:51 PM
lamp9post

I don't know why so many are bringing up the Hitchcock factor. Julien is no stranger to defensive hockey and the Boston duo also plays behind Chara for half the game.

That said, it's a tough call considering Thomas's age and uncertain future, and also whether or not Elliot is a one-year wonder.

I'd say Halak and Rask are roughly equal though in terms of what they have proven, but I think Rask has more upside. For that reason alone I go with the Boston duo.

lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 04:53 PM
Trap Jesus

If both are playing it's very clearly Thomas/Rask. I think both are better than the Blues goalies.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 05:34 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landeskogien View Post
It would depend on the defense.

Elliott with poor defense = disaster, just look at last years ASG as an example.
That's terrible evidence. None of the goalies did well. He sucked in the playoffs, might as well use that.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 05:37 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
difficult, as Rask/Thomas have higher ceilings, but Thomas is almost done. Elliot/Halak are good, however I'd rather go with Rask.

Lars The GOAT Eller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Aquin001 on Ice

It's not 2011 anymore

Halak/Elliot

Aquin001 on Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 06:34 PM
TheNudge

Send a message via MSN to TheNudge
If it was back in 10-11 I would of pick Thomas/Rask but as of now I rather have Halak/Elliot. But I you ask me wich Goalie I like the most and would want to build a team around I would grab Rask and run. He's just that good. But I simply feel at the moment Rask is not ready to play 60+ games and Boston doesn't have a good enough back up to compete with Halak/Elliot. The better question would of been Price or Rask since Thomas as become irrelevant to the game now. So let's forget Thomas and move foward.

TheNudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 06:42 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sinister Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landeskogien View Post
It would depend on the defense.

Elliott with poor defense = disaster, just look at last years ASG as an example.
The all star game makes all goalies look bad

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 07:34 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

For the Blues I would take the duo that set the record for most shut-outs by a tandem, that includes the guy who has the single season save percentage record (hint: he is at the bottom of everyone's list), that has two goalies that will actually suit up instead of just one, and that has youth on their side such that both have the potential to improve.

What's that you say? Halak and Elliott need great defense in front of them? We got that here in St. Louis. And I'm sure that having Selke winner Bergeron and Norris nominee Chara didn't help Rask or Thomas look good at all.....

EDIT: Are people really suggesting they would rather have Rask start 82 games for their team than run with the Jennings winning tandem?

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 08:05 PM
TheNudge

Send a message via MSN to TheNudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
For the Blues I would take the duo that set the record for most shut-outs by a tandem, that includes the guy who has the single season save percentage record (hint: he is at the bottom of everyone's list), that has two goalies that will actually suit up instead of just one, and that has youth on their side such that both have the potential to improve.

What's that you say? Halak and Elliott need great defense in front of them? We got that here in St. Louis. And I'm sure that having Selke winner Bergeron and Norris nominee Chara didn't help Rask or Thomas look good at all.....

EDIT: Are people really suggesting they would rather have Rask start 82 games for their team than run with the Jennings winning tandem?

I agree 100 % with you. I rather have Rask be the starter for my team but I couldn't trust Rask to start every game. So for that reason alone I rather have two keeper that one couldn't. So easy answer, Elliot and Halak.

TheNudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 08:21 PM
kingsboy11
Starter in Sochi

I'd like to see Elliot continue his success from last year before I vote Elliot/Halak.

kingsboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 08:48 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsboy11 View Post
I'd like to see Elliot continue his success from last year before I vote Elliot/Halak.
That is completely understandable.

Be fore-warned that he will come back down some simply due to the fact that he is unlikely to set the single season save percentage record again next season.

However, you should expect a better goalie than he was in Ottawa simply due to the Blues being better defensively currently than Ottawa was when Elliott was there.

Rask has had the benefit of playing his whole career in Boston on a team that plays really good defense. Once Elliott got to a team with a really good defense his numbers improved. The talent is there for Elliott to continue to put up similar numbers to Rask over the next couple of seasons. (Apart from wins, since Rask is likely to be carrying most of the load in Boston while Elliott will be splitting time with Halak.)

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 09:01 PM
lboogie42*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Thomas's career is over, unfair poll. I'll take Rask/Khudobin for the record.
it was between halak/elliot and thomas/rask or halak/elliot and lundqvist/biron. i picked thomas/rask because thomas still has some years left and hes shown that he is still a beast.
plus its not a very unfair poll. thomas/rask are owning this poll.

Old
11-30-2012, 09:02 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by lboogie42 View Post
it was between halak/elliot and thomas/rask or halak/elliot and lundqvist/biron. i picked thomas/rask because thomas still has some years left and hes shown that he is still a beast.
Why didn't you put up Lundqvist/Biron?

Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 09:19 PM
lboogie42*

idk. ima start a new poll soon with the winner of this poll vs lundy/biron. so itll most likely be the thomas/rask vs lundy/biron. and from there the winner will face fluery/vokoun.

Old
11-30-2012, 09:43 PM
ricky0034

easily Thomas and Rask

Halak is good but is possibly the single most overrated current Goalie

Elliott isn't even good

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 09:47 PM
Benny FTW
Tool Time Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
That is completely understandable.

Be fore-warned that he will come back down some simply due to the fact that he is unlikely to set the single season save percentage record again next season.

However, you should expect a better goalie than he was in Ottawa simply due to the Blues being better defensively currently than Ottawa was when Elliott was there.

Rask has had the benefit of playing his whole career in Boston on a team that plays really good defense. Once Elliott got to a team with a really good defense his numbers improved. The talent is there for Elliott to continue to put up similar numbers to Rask over the next couple of seasons. (Apart from wins, since Rask is likely to be carrying most of the load in Boston while Elliott will be splitting time with Halak.)
Elliott's biggest problem (besides the obvious requiring hitchcock to be good) is he cant play to many games consecutively and cant handle 50+ game seasons.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 10:08 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

The Elliott hate is pretty amusing. I am not saying he is going to stay at the same level, but lets go over some indisputable facts.

1. Elliott started his great play when Payne was still the coach. Elliott was not a complete product of Hitchcock no matter how many people want to think it.

2. The Blues coaching staff told Elliott to go back to the style of play that he used in college. I'm not sure of the specifics, but it was reported that Ottawa and Colorado wanted him to play a certain way, and he was more comfortable playing how St. Louis allowed him to play.

3. Elliott can play in front of a bad defense. When Payne was still the coach, our team was leaking odd-man rushes and hanging our goalies out to dry, and the reason Elliott was in the games was because he handled those situations perfectly.

So to summarize, Elliott's play was not solely because of Hitchcock, a change in style of play is a very plausible explanation for improved play, and the Blues defense was not bullet-proof when he first started playing.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 07:27 AM
SenateReform

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
The Elliott hate is pretty amusing. I am not saying he is going to stay at the same level, but lets go over some indisputable facts.

1. Elliott started his great play when Payne was still the coach. Elliott was not a complete product of Hitchcock no matter how many people want to think it.

2. The Blues coaching staff told Elliott to go back to the style of play that he used in college. I'm not sure of the specifics, but it was reported that Ottawa and Colorado wanted him to play a certain way, and he was more comfortable playing how St. Louis allowed him to play.

3. Elliott can play in front of a bad defense. When Payne was still the coach, our team was leaking odd-man rushes and hanging our goalies out to dry, and the reason Elliott was in the games was because he handled those situations perfectly.

So to summarize, Elliott's play was not solely because of Hitchcock, a change in style of play is a very plausible explanation for improved play, and the Blues defense was not bullet-proof when he first started playing.
When he was playing in Ottawa I would cringe each time there was some sort of offensive rush. The last year he was here, the defense was a total mess and Elliott couldn't handle it in the least.

I hope Elliott does well, but I've seen him play enough games in his career to easily pass him over in this poll even with Halak who I've always been a fan of.

SenateReform is offline   Reply With Quote