HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Max Pacioretty can't pay bills, apparently

Old
11-30-2012, 04:50 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I think it is quite possible an NHL player is broke.

I think sometimes people forget the relativity of salaries. What I mean is, someone who makes a great deal of money is also more likely to frivolously spend it as well. IE, eat in high class restaurants, buy expensive luxury goods.

He got married this year, to a pro tennis player, I am sure that marriage and everything that went with it (engagement ring, wedding, honeymoon) cost a great deal of cash.

I remember Subban and Pacioretty also buying a whole buffalo or something of that nature; these types of things are not cheap.

It is doubtful that any NHL player in their ELC is saving money. They are probably living the high life, buying a house, a car, spending on luxury goods; these things cost a lot of money up front and if a lockout comes along that you didn't necessarily plan for takes away money that you assumed was coming in; this could actually leave you with literally no money.
Great post.

I too would be shocked if a typical player on an ELC saved anything. Those are not saving conditions.

With that said, I doubt Pacioretty can't pay. His wife must be pretty wealthy, his family also, and given that he has a contract coming up he probably has decent access to bank loans.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 04:50 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I am in the construction industry at the moment and while this makes for a sensational news story, the most likely situation is that he was/is dissatisfied with the work and witholding his payment.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 05:02 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
750k went to taxes.

Probably paid 400k+ up front for the house.

10% to the agent, another 150k.

Probably set his family up nicely, another 150k.

Doesn't exactly last very long.
That's assuming all you just said actually is correct. Also not considering his savings prior to his last season, and his wife's savings too.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 05:04 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

I think sometimes people forget the relativity of salaries. What I mean is, someone who makes a great deal of money is also more likely to frivolously spend it as well. IE, eat in high class restaurants, buy expensive luxury goods.

He got married this year, to a pro tennis player, I am sure that marriage and everything that went with it (engagement ring, wedding, honeymoon) cost a great deal of cash.

I remember Subban and Pacioretty also buying a whole buffalo or something of that nature; these types of things are not cheap.

It is doubtful that any NHL player in their ELC is saving money. They are probably living the high life, buying a house, a car, spending on luxury goods; these things cost a lot of money up front and if a lockout comes along that you didn't necessarily plan for takes away money that you assumed was coming in; this could actually leave you with literally no money.
Anybody can get broke. But not everybody is financially irresponsible, no matter the salary.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 05:14 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Le Tigre View Post
I am in the construction industry at the moment and while this makes for a sensational news story, the most likely situation is that he was/is dissatisfied with the work and witholding his payment.
This is probably the most likely scenario.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 05:30 PM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

This is way overblown, who cares.

canadiensnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 06:02 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Scott Gomez to the rescue.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post

I was gunna post the same thing.

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Habs

Its not how much you make, it's how much you spend... I know guys who make a lot of money, (I'm sure a lot of you do as well) and they can't afford **** in their life....

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 06:38 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
''Hey Max! Didn't remember the exact amount you needed so I made a cheque for 100k$ Keep the change!''

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 07:00 PM
HabbyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiensnation View Post
This is way overblown, who cares.
I care.

HabbyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 08:38 PM
bearcountry17

vCash: 873
Hey nobody said Dr. Recchi was cheap..

bearcountry17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 08:55 PM
Habs

Quote:
That is a pretty big holdback... usually the HB is 15%

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 10:20 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
I thought he made 4.5M last year ?
He's scheduled to make that a year from now.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabbyGuy View Post
I care.

I care, more than you think.

See just like luongo on his last picture.

Im send my application now. This dud should do one for the nhl owners who are making the money and most likely those who are refusing to negotiate.

Montreal Impact FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 10:58 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Quote:
This is the most likely cause. It seems to be a legal hypothec taken out by the construction company. Usually they only have 30 days to take out a legal hypothec after the completion of the works to safeguard their rights on the property for the work done (articles 2724(2), 2726 and 2727 Civil Code of Quebec). It's not uncommon for this to happen since the company has such a small window of opportunity to safeguard their rights in the property. Thereafter, they have 6 months to publish the hypothec in order to give it effect. Like you said, the likely cause is Patches, or Mrs. Patches, is dissatisfied with the work. Patches himself is legally allowed to a holdback until the repairs or corrections to the work are made to the apparent defects or poor workmanship (2111 CCQ). So I doubt it's a question of money. He could easily resolve this by getting a loan if he wanted to.

Last edited by The Gal Pals: 11-30-2012 at 11:11 PM.
The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 11:00 PM

From what I can see, spending a lot of time between NHL and AHL and minus taxes and agent he's made about $2M in net salary in his career.

Now that's over 4 seasons so it isnt that all much if, like another poster said, he is spending the big bucks on restaurants, cars, etc

He might be unhappy and withholding the payments, but I'm still gonna go out on a limb and say he probably doesn't have that $65,000 in his bank account anyway right now.

But, he could probably sell some of his stuff and easily come up with it. I doubt that is the point here. I doubt he can't afford to pay rent.

#57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Craig71

This sounds like TMZ.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 01:23 AM
Bobby G

He is from one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the USA and he went to a ridiculously expensive boarding school. He made over a million dollars last year and made decent money in the AHL. He is also still making money, playing in Switzerland

He is married to a professional tennis player and just signed a 27 million dollar contract.

Some of these off season threads are horrendous

Bobby G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:10 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:

From my experience, it doesn't matter if you're making $30,000, or $3 million , most people have a tendency to live above their means. I think every class in society needs to take a look in the mirror when it comes to overspending, not just the higher income folks.

Last edited by Hackett: 12-01-2012 at 02:15 AM.
Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 04:31 AM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
750k went to taxes.

Probably paid 400k+ up front for the house.

10% to the agent, another 150k.

Probably set his family up nicely, another 150k.

Doesn't exactly last very long.
I'm pretty sure he's not paying 50% in taxes even in Quebec. I believe NHL players get taxed on where they play, so he's only paying Quebec tax (which isn't 50%, though it's close) on home games. Those guys must REALLY love those Florida road trips....

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 07:36 AM
SAKS AVENUE

Probably the first of many Liens to be out on Max's house, by many different contractors who haven't been paid by the main contstruction company hired to do the work. Why? Because even though Max paid the main company they themselves didn't pay the sub contractors and have now gone bankrupt.

Montreal media and Hf Habs fans are such drama queens.

SAKS AVENUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 08:49 AM
TheCanasianfrasian

Send a message via MSN to TheCanasianfrasian
A legal mortgage means that if Max ever sells that house, then the owed company has rights to refund themselves with part, or all of the money made from the sale.

as long as he keeps the house, the legal mortgage is just background noise.

TheCanasianfrasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 10:46 AM
vokiel
I hate blind passes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanasianfrasian View Post
A legal mortgage means that if Max ever sells that house, then the owed company has rights to refund themselves with part, or all of the money made from the sale.

as long as he keeps the house, the legal mortgage is just background noise.
Ah stop breaking the party! It was much more entertaining imagining Max as a bum on the street with a charity to finance his secret house building addiction.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 11:04 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
I'm pretty sure he's not paying 50% in taxes even in Quebec. I believe NHL players get taxed on where they play, so he's only paying Quebec tax (which isn't 50%, though it's close) on home games. Those guys must REALLY love those Florida road trips....
In Canada you are taxed based on residency, regardless of where you earn the income. Technically he's paying taxes in Canada AND in the USA when he plays there, but the USA and Canada have a tax treaty so anything he pays in taxes here covers the tax he pays in the USA.

Any Canadian resident will pay Canadian taxes on all income earned worldwide.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote