HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > EA Sports NHL
EA Sports NHL Discussion forum for EA Sports NHL video games.

The Sitwell Enterprises Lineup-Trade Block

Old
11-30-2012, 07:41 PM
HaroldDruken

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Some of those guys have been subject to trade rumors for years (Vinny, Kane) or are old enough where they can't really be considered franchise cornerstones anymore, no?

Age, contract status, positional depth all have to be factors, honestly.

To me, the list is much shorter than you're implying.

Anaheim: None. (Getzlaf and Perry are UFA)
Boston: Chara (and only for this year, maybe 2, because of age).
Buffalo: Miller
Calgary: None
Carolina: E. Staal I guess?
Chicago: Toews, Keith (Kane has been subject to rumors, true or not, and is stuck behind Toews).
Colorado: None.
Columbus: None
Dallas: Benn.
Detroit: Datsyuk / Zetterberg (I'm not even sure which?)
Edmonton: You tell me.
Florida: None
LA: Doughty, Quick I guess. The three Cs sort of cancel each other out.
Minnesota: Parise and / or Suter (but they just signed?)
Montreal: Price
Nashville: Weber
New Jersey: Kovalchuk
Islanders: Tavares
Rangers: Lundqvist (maybe Gaborik?)
Ottawa: Karlsson
Phladelphia: Giroux
Phoenix: None.
Pittsburgh: Crosby, Malkin
San Jose: ?
St. Louis: Pietrangelo
Tampa: Stamkos
Vancouver: Sedins?
Washington: Ovechkin, maybe Backstrom

There's a whole generation of "budding" superstars--e.g., Hall, Eberle, and RNH, just on Edmonton alone, but because of the nature of online progression, I'm not sure you can call them "franchise" players right now. There's also guys like Seguin, E. Kane, T. Myers, P. K. Subban, and many others who are just a notch below because of OV and age.

With a few exceptions, you're talking about young or prime-aged 87+ talent (with a few older guys in the 90s). That's really a "franchise" asset, isn't it. It isn't a question of who has been the best / most identifiable player in the past 10 years; its which player, if you were forced to choose just one off that team, would you want going forward?

GMs should be able to move aging stars (Thornton, Iginla) if they are interested in rebuilding. Unlike real life, we don't have to sell tickets.

EDIT: Apparently I had more to say on the matter than I thought.

Don't take this the wrong way. I love how you are running the league. It just seems to me that this is the last loose thread that needs to be tied up.
I feel very left out

HaroldDruken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 07:42 PM
matt1396

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldDruken View Post
I feel very left out

you have Kessel, and maybe Phaneuf.

matt1396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 07:46 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldDruken View Post
I feel very left out

HAH. Crap.

Well, this is why no one has attempted to make a list. It is virtually impossible. For instance, in my case, I had just started a GM mode with TOR, so when I cycled through to put the teams in order, I skipped myself.

I guess my point is basically this: determing the franchise's direction, and thus its most valuable assets, shoudl be left basically to the discretion of the GMs. As long as trades generally provide good value to both clubs, they shoudl be allowed. Obviously the bar for "good value" going is determined by the player or players going out, but I just think we should leave all trades conducted in good faith and with some degree of wisdom () to the GMs.

The two-trade limit will keep people from blowing up their teams. Might the Penguins decide they only need 1 world-class center and thus decide to move Malkin for a star winger, a star-caliber prospect, and a pick? Maybe, but what's wrong with that? It's a video game. That's the entire point.

Ok, anyway, thread sufficiently derailed.

still open for business.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 07:51 PM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoxx View Post
I personally would consider players with franchise potential as "franchise players" too. The players that either already are the face of the franchise or are well on their way.

Examples: Larsson on NJ, Landeskog on Colorado. They may not be clear "franchise" players like Stamkos, but it's clear they will be (in real life).

Edit: Though I agree they are few and far between, and not every team has to have one.
Exactly, Rnh Yakupov Eberle hall Murray, galchenyuk, those highly touted players don't go anywhere without overpayment because of their potential. A teams not gonna draft somebody 2nd overall and then turn around and trade Em for fair value.

slightlystewpid420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
Exactly, Rnh Yakupov Eberle hall Murray, galchenyuk, those highly touted players don't go anywhere without overpayment because of their potential. A teams not gonna draft somebody 2nd overall and then turn around and trade Em for fair value.
In real life? Of course.

But in this game? Galchenyuk is still in mid-60s four years from now.

What about someone like R. Strome or Grigorenko? Top prosects who got 3.0 POT ratings, and thus never get higher than mid-70s.

Oilers are particularly tricky. In real life, RNH is probably the most valuable, all things considered. In this game, it is Hall, Eberle, RNH, then Yakupov, who takes quite a few years to get above 75 ov.

Old
11-30-2012, 08:10 PM
Firefoxx

Quote:
In real life? Of course.

But in this game? Galchenyuk is still in mid-60s four years from now.

What about someone like R. Strome or Grigorenko? Top prosects who got 3.0 POT ratings, and thus never get higher than mid-70s.

Oilers are particularly tricky. In real life, RNH is probably the most valuable, all things considered. In this game, it is Hall, Eberle, RNH, then Yakupov, who takes quite a few years to get above 75 ov.
Obviously being a video game there will be discrepencies like those obviously off potential ratings. Its not that someone like ovechkin is untradeable, its that because of his value beyond what he brings on the ice, his ties to the capitals as a franchise that make trading for him so much more complicated (and costly).

Imagine playing in a league with ovechkin on toronto, crosby on pheonix, stamkos on vancouver, etc. There are just some players that have a value that can't be quantified. They can get traded, it just shouldn't be easy (value should make you cringe if you really want them)

Firefoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 08:21 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Obviously being a video game there will be discrepencies like those obviously off potential ratings. Its not that someone like ovechkin is untradeable, its that because of his value beyond what he brings on the ice, his ties to the capitals as a franchise that make trading for him so much more complicated (and costly).

Imagine playing in a league with ovechkin on toronto, crosby on pheonix, stamkos on vancouver, etc. There are just some players that have a value that can't be quantified. They can get traded, it just shouldn't be easy (value should make you cringe if you really want them)
That's fine.

All I'm saying is we need to know what "cringe" means, right?

Either that, or basically just make a list of players who simply can't be traded until they hit some age or are UFAs-to-be. My objection really isn't to the true superstar players you've mentioned--its to guys like Patrick Kane, who I don't think are as unmovable.

Who knows, maybe someone will be kind enough to provide us with a test-case soon. (E. Kane wasn't really a good one, not compared to the names you've mentioned).

Old
11-30-2012, 08:24 PM
matt1396

Carter
Richards
Bernier

Kovalchuk
2013 NJ 1st round pick
Severson

Since this league doesn't appear to do articles I guess I won't do one. anyways im expecting tons of reaction to this trade. I get the top 3 winger I've needed to play with Kopitar for a long time. Kovalchuk is the league's leading scorer and I intend to keep it that way and will do everything in my power to do so. Before someone blasts me for trading both Richards and Carter, keep in mind I didn't want to move Carter and this move was tough to make, but one I knew was necessary. I still have a really good top 6, but I will be looking for a top 6 C, but I won't trade anyone in my top 6 for it. So think prospects/picks/high end bottom 6 players for a 2nd line C.

Old
11-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1396 View Post

Carter
Richards
Bernier

Kovalchuk
2013 NJ 1st round pick
Severson

Since this league doesn't appear to do articles I guess I won't do one. anyways im expecting tons of reaction to this trade. I get the top 3 winger I've needed to play with Kopitar for a long time. Kovalchuk is the league's leading scorer and I intend to keep it that way and will do everything in my power to do so. Before someone blasts me for trading both Richards and Carter, keep in mind I didn't want to move Carter and this move was tough to make, but one I knew was necessary. I still have a really good top 6, but I will be looking for a top 6 C, but I won't trade anyone in my top 6 for it. So think prospects/picks/high end bottom 6 players for a 2nd line C.
I'd like to see an article. It is a nice touch.

Old
11-30-2012, 08:29 PM
wilco5886
Come On You Spurs

Quote:
I'd like to see an article. It is a nice touch.
I agree, I'd like to read a write-up. Devils confirm. Roster will be updated soon.

wilco5886 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 08:30 PM
matt1396

Alright an article will be typed up soon.

Old
11-30-2012, 08:46 PM
TheFadedLine

woah massive trade. Good. Get that beast Kovy out of the east.

TheFadedLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 10:17 PM
slightlystewpid420

Ya know i think ill approve that. It'll be interesting to see what kovy does in the west. And I'm pretty sure it'll make things easier for stamkos. :p

slightlystewpid420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 11:00 PM
CBJ All The Way
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1396 View Post

Carter
Richards
Bernier

Kovalchuk
2013 NJ 1st round pick
Severson

Great Trade for both teams

Well Done Boys!!!

CBJ All The Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 11:12 PM
matt1396

In a blockbuster deal the Los Angeles Kings have acquired Superstar winger Ilya Kovalchuk from the New Jersey Devils. The players headed the other way are Mike Richards, Jeff Carter and Jonathan Bernier. "I'd like to thank Mike, Jeff and Jonathan for all they have done for us on and off the ice, and for helping us win the Stanley Cup last season. But we haven't been off to the greatest start this season and we feel like change is needed. Ilya is definitely the answer to our problems. He is an eltie sniper who can get it done whenever called upon. He plays great end to end hockey and is truly one of the best players in the game today. We strongly believe that he will play excellently along side Kopitar and Brown on our top line. But now we have some holes to fill especially on the 2nd line. we will 1st look within the organization to see if we can fix those problems, if not we will have to look elsewhere. Severson is a guy who we believe will develop into an excellent top 4 d-man and we can't wait to see what he can do for us down the road. All in all i'd say it's a good day to be a Kings fan"

Old
11-30-2012, 11:18 PM
dbridge

God damn it, I was going so hard after Kovy. 26 goals in 19 games in another league with him, I really wanted to get him with the Sedins.

dbridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 11:26 PM
dbridge

Now, with no Kovalchuk talks holding me back anymore, I'm looking to possibly move a top 6 forward (Burrows or Booth) and Cory Schneider. I would package both for a 1st line winger, or they could be moved separately if the deal entices me enough.

Old
12-01-2012, 12:09 AM
wilco5886
Come On You Spurs

Kovalchuk Heading West

Friday night a massive deal was struck between the two teams who met in the Stanley Cup Finals last Spring. The Devils sent their superstar winger Ilya Kovalchuk to Los Angeles (along with prospect Damon Severson and their 2013 1st round pick) in exchange for Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, and Jonathan Bernier. The trade, along with the loss of former captain Zach Parise to the Minnesota Wild through free agency, is the culmination of a massive upheaval and retooling by the Devils' franchise. "We thank Ilya for his time in New Jersey and the consistent effort he put forth nightly while wearing a Devils uniform," said the Devils new GM. "It was certainly not an easy decision for us, because, at the time he was signed, we envisioned him being in New Jersey for a very long time. But circumstances change, as is the nature of our business, and we got an offer we couldn't refuse."

In exchange, the Devils receive 2 major components in the Kings run to win the Stanley Cup last year. Mike Richards, who had 15 pts in 20 playoff games, had been in LA just over a year, having been traded there by Philadelphia. "I'm excited about returning to the Eastern Conference," said Richards, "I feel I grew a lot as a player and person over the last year and I'm ready to step up and be a leader for my new team and hopefully bring them back to the Finals." Also joining Richards is his longtime friend Jeff Carter, who also played with him for the Flyers. "Mike and Jeff are tremendous players. They are the type of players that championship teams are built around and we are ecstatic to have them in New Jersey." Carter, who will be on his 4th team in 2 years, is a former 40+ goal scorer and is hoping to match those numbers in a Devils uniform.

Finally, the Devils also acquired Jonathan Bernier, one of the most highly touted young goaltenders of the last couple of years. Acquiring Bernier will ease many Devils fans minds who have been worrying about the inevitable day that legendary goalie Martin Brodeur retires. "Martin still has plenty of games in him and he will continue to be our starting goaltender, but it is no mystery that he is no longer a spring chicken. Jonathan will have the benefit of working with one of the very best goaltenders that has ever played the game and it will help prepare him for when it is time for him to take the reigns." Will this blockbuster trade pay off for the Devils this and the coming years? Only time will tell. But one things is for certain, the Devils' new GM certainly is not afraid to gamble big (and in a state with Atlantic City, he fits right in).

Last edited by wilco5886: 12-01-2012 at 12:25 AM.
wilco5886 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 12:35 AM
CBJ All The Way
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco5886 View Post
Friday night a massive deal was struck between the two teams who met in the Stanley Cup Finals last Spring. The Devils sent their superstar winger Ilya Kovalchuk to Los Angeles (along with prospect Damon Severson and their 2013 1st round pick) in exchange for Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, and Jonathan Bernier. The trade, along with the loss of former captain Zach Parise to the Minnesota Wild through free agency, is the culmination of a massive upheaval and retooling by the Devils' franchise. "We thank Ilya for his time in New Jersey and the consistent effort he put forth nightly while wearing a Devils uniform," said the Devils new GM. "It was certainly not an easy decision for us, because, at the time he was signed, we envisioned him being in New Jersey for a very long time. But circumstances change, as is the nature of our business, and we got an offer we couldn't refuse."

In exchange, the Devils receive 2 major components in the Kings run to win the Stanley Cup last year. Mike Richards, who had 15 pts in 20 playoff games, had been in LA just over a year, having been traded there by Philadelphia. "I'm excited about returning to the Eastern Conference," said Richards, "I feel I grew a lot as a player and person over the last year and I'm ready to step up and be a leader for my new team and hopefully bring them back to the Finals." Also joining Richards is his longtime friend Jeff Carter, who also played with him for the Flyers. "Mike and Jeff are tremendous players. They are the type of players that championship teams are built around and we are ecstatic to have them in New Jersey." Carter, who will be on his 4th team in 2 years, is a former 40+ goal scorer and is hoping to match those numbers in a Devils uniform.

Finally, the Devils also acquired Jonathan Bernier, one of the most highly touted young goaltenders of the last couple of years. Acquiring Bernier will ease many Devils fans minds who have been worrying about the inevitable day that legendary goalie Martin Brodeur retires. "Martin still has plenty of games in him and he will continue to be our starting goaltender, but it is no mystery that he is no longer a spring chicken. Jonathan will have the benefit of working with one of the very best goaltenders that has ever played the game and it will help prepare him for when it is time for him to take the reigns." Will this blockbuster trade pay off for the Devils this and the coming years? Only time will tell. But one things is for certain, the Devils' new GM certainly is not afraid to gamble big (and in a state with Atlantic City, he fits right in).
Dude you scored BIG time WELL DONE!

CBJ All The Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 01:29 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Big trade. Glad to see Kovy gone from the east, for sure.

ArGarBarGar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 08:38 AM
Firefoxx

When do trades get replenished? At the beginning of the offseason (draft) or at the beginning of the next season?

Firefoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 09:06 AM
HaroldDruken

vCash: 769
Fair trade. Still not sure why anyone would trade kovalchuk.

HaroldDruken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
When do trades get replenished? At the beginning of the offseason (draft) or at the beginning of the next season?
Draft, I would assume.

Old
12-01-2012, 11:03 AM
dbridge

After falling short in the Kovalchuk sweepstakes, the Canucks have turned elsewhere for their top line winger.
To
Corey Perry
Dan Ellis
Jordan Hendry (only included to balance out contracts)

To
Cory Schneider
David Booth
Nicklas Jensen
Van 2013 1st round pick

Vancouver is willing to take on Perry's expiring contract for a decent return to see what havoc can be wrecked with a Sedin/Sedin/Perry line; at the same time there should be enough opening up cap space for an extension in the off-season.

Old
12-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbridge92 View Post
After falling short in the Kovalchuk sweepstakes, the Canucks have turned elsewhere for their top line winger.
To
Corey Perry
Dan Ellis
Jordan Hendry (only included to balance out contracts)

To
Cory Schneider
David Booth
Nicklas Jensen
Van 2013 1st round pick

Vancouver is willing to take on Perry's expiring contract for a decent return to see what havoc can be wrecked with a Sedin/Sedin/Perry line; at the same time there should be enough opening up cap space for an extension in the off-season.
Good trade. Jensen takes a bit to progress, but he's a usable piece. Booth gives Anaheim a top-line LW option (particularly when the CPU reorganizes lines during simulations). Schneider is an upgrade on Hiller, and the 1st is a first.

Vancouver, of course, gets the best player in the deal. Perry's a bit slow, but playing with the Sedins might actually help with that.