HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks 2011 Cup Run

Old
12-01-2012, 01:30 AM
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
OT, but you were there at the signing too?!
For Mase, or Guy's Night Out? Actually, this can be shortened: no.

I don't do signings, just not my cup of tea.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 01:32 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
For Mase, or Guy's Night Out? Actually, this can be shortened: no.

I don't do signings, just not my cup of tea.
Guy's Night. Thought you went judging by your profile pic.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 01:39 AM
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me

Quote:
Guy's Night. Thought you went judging by your profile pic.
Ah. No, I found this on Twitter, I follow Ryan and Trevor on there. Thought it was a great picture of my two Vancouver hockey role-models.

Old
12-01-2012, 03:47 AM
Bougieman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Why do you guys purposely put yourself through this?
Because I usually have a cold, dead soul, and I like to feel things.

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 12:27 PM
canuckster19
Former CDC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bougieman View Post
Because I usually have a cold, dead soul, and I like to feel things.
I equate it to having an abusive spouse and willingly asking for a second round of blows, I don't know why I do it, I just do, I will say one thing however, 1994 was far less bittersweet than 2011, at least in 94 they looked like they wanted to win game 7.

canuckster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Bo Knows

So glad I got to experience the parties downtown since we'll probably never get them again.

Huntershin Karuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:34 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckster19 View Post
I equate it to having an abusive spouse and willingly asking for a second round of blows, I don't know why I do it, I just do, I will say one thing however, 1994 was far less bittersweet than 2011, at least in 94 they looked like they wanted to win game 7.
Rihanna and Chris Brown?

12-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Henrik To Daniel

I sat through for an hour+ of highlights from that SCF and I think I have come to the conclusion that we can't use injuries as an excuse to not win the Cup that year.

Yes, we had several injuries to our key players (Kesler, Henrik, Hamhuis), but the fact of the matter is, the Canucks STILL generated a ton of offense that series.

We had shot totals of: 34, 33, 41, 38, 25, 38, and 37. That is an average of 35 shots which is really good considering we didn't have any long OT games that series.

I know shot totals don't always matter because you have to look at the quality of shots you're taking. But from the highlights I watched (and from my own live memory), it seemed as if the Canucks were throwing everything on net and getting some amazing opportunities to score including a number of breakaways and odd man rushes. But we just could not bury ANYTHING.

Thomas played (in my opinion) the best a goaltender can play. He was just downright dominant and I think his performance is the best ever for any goaltender in any series.

There were so many times where all we needed was that first goal and the entire result of the game would be different.

Fact: In the 8-1 shelling by the Bruins in Game 3, the game was tied 0-0 after the first period! The B's scored 8 goals in two periods, 3 of which came in the final couple of minutes of the game!

If we had got a goal at the end of the first period, do you think we still lose 8-1? I don't think so.

To sum it up, Thomas was playing out of his mind and he is the primary reason why we lost. We can't keep coming up with the injury excuse. We got outplayed by one player, but that one player just so happened to define his Hall of Fame status in that 7 game series.

Henrik To Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 03:46 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 869
Injuries really did hamper our play though and if you think otherwise you're insane IMO.

PG Canuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 03:46 PM
OmniscientOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post
I sat through for an hour+ of highlights from that SCF and I think I have come to the conclusion that we can't use injuries as an excuse to not win the Cup that year.

Yes, we had several injuries to our key players (Kesler, Henrik, Hamhuis), but the fact of the matter is, the Canucks STILL generated a ton of offense that series.

We had shot totals of: 34, 33, 41, 38, 25, 38, and 37. That is an average of 35 shots which is really good considering we didn't have any long OT games that series.

I know shot totals don't always matter because you have to look at the quality of shots you're taking. But from the highlights I watched (and from my own live memory), it seemed as if the Canucks were throwing everything on net and getting some amazing opportunities to score including a number of breakaways and odd man rushes. But we just could not bury ANYTHING.

Thomas played (in my opinion) the best a goaltender can play. He was just downright dominant and I think his performance is the best ever for any goaltender in any series.

There were so many times where all we needed was that first goal and the entire result of the game would be different.

Fact: In the 8-1 shelling by the Bruins in Game 3, the game was tied 0-0 after the first period! The B's scored 8 goals in two periods, 3 of which came in the final couple of minutes of the game!

If we had got a goal at the end of the first period, do you think we still lose 8-1? I don't think so.

To sum it up, Thomas was playing out of his mind and he is the primary reason why we lost. We can't keep coming up with the injury excuse. We got outplayed by one player, but that one player just so happened to define his Hall of Fame status in that 7 game series.
And to think how beatable Thomas looked coming out of the Tampa series...

OmniscientOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 03:49 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Rihanna and Chris Brown?

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 06:25 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniscientOne View Post
And to think how beatable Thomas looked coming out of the Tampa series...
Tampa had guys who could pick corners. We did not have those guys.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Sure could score better during the regular season though.

Old
12-01-2012, 11:57 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckster19 View Post
It makes a ton of sense, if that's what you're arguing against. I equate it to feeling attached to and supportive to a friend even when they become difficult to get along with. I personally feel bad for someone who walks out on everything that doesn't make them feel positive 100% of the time. Otherwise it means that you don't actually care and aren't attached to the team itself or caring about the outcome, in which case, why not do something else more worthwhile with your time rather than watch hockey?

Why would anyone want to follow competitive sports if they aren't accepting and appreciative of both the peaks and pitfalls?

You can bet that the fans who take the bitter defeats personally (I'm becoming less and less of one, personally) and let it get to them are equally going to get more out of victory (and more out of the sport, period, obviously) than the average fan as well.

That's always sort of been my own personal take on the term "bandwagoning"

Last edited by Shareefruck: 12-02-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 12:44 AM
ahmon

Quote:
And we still don't sadly....

ahmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 04:26 AM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post
And we still don't sadly....
No, we do not. Whereas guys like Marchand and Ryder were scoring with ease with a well placed shot.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 07:33 AM
Patchy

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. It was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness. It was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of individuality. It was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair.
We had everything before us, we had nothing before us. We were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way!

Patchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 01:47 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 869
Quote:
No, we do not. Whereas guys like Marchand and Ryder were scoring with ease with a well placed shot.
Only if Boston had Luongo in goal it would be Kesler and Daniel instead of Marchand and Ryder.

PG Canuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 07:26 PM
Canucker

They're replaying Game 6 on the NHL Network in the US...Pretty depressing game. Even worse than the Canucks, and the refs were the duo of McGuire and Olczyk. Those guys are an embarrassment to broadcasting, zero respect for either of em.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
They're replaying Game 6 on the NHL Network in the US...Pretty depressing game. Even worse than the Canucks, and the refs were the duo of McGuire and Olczyk. Those guys are an embarrassment to broadcasting, zero respect for either of em.
That game doesn't exist.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:07 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Only if Boston had Luongo in goal it would be Kesler and Daniel instead of Marchand and Ryder.
Nah, if Boston had Luongo in goal then he'd be hands down the number 1 goalie in people's rankings. People wouldn't be calling him a choke as he would have been the goalie to only allow 8 goals in 7 games. Although, I think people still might question Luongo for giving up untimely goals in games 1 and 5 costing the Bruins those games. In fact, Boston didn't have to win 2 1-0 games, so people would say he got outplayed by the other goalie who did.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Remembering the SCF is like purposely poking yourself in the eye. No idea why you people decide to do it. The only thing I'd like to remember forever is game 7 against Chicago.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 04:44 AM
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me

Quote:
Remembering the SCF is like purposely poking yourself in the eye. No idea why you people decide to do it. The only thing I'd like to remember forever is game 7 against Chicago.
I remember all days up until June 12, 2011 except for when I'm boozing. On those days, I remember up until today. Fuuuuuuuuuuuck. END LOCKOUT. END