HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OKC Barons @ Houston Aeros:Friday 11/30 6:05PM MDT No Granlund,No Brodin,No Problem!

Old
12-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
IMO we have 3 guys that think the game at an elite level, RNH, Eberle, and Schultz. I haven't seen enough of Nail to know whether he'll be included in the list or not. RNH's and Schultz' vision are nothing short of amazing. While I wouldn't say that Schultz' vision = RNH's, IMO he has the second best vision on the club and it's quite amazing to see that vision from the blueline. Eberle is just an amazing stickhandler, tremendously smart, has a great set of hands, and is both shifty and strong on his skates. Hall will take things into his own hands and uses his speed to open up odd man situations and to retrieve 50/50 pucks. Hall IMO is our least skilled of the big 5, but his leadership and his willingness to put himself in harms way to win makes him a special player in his own rite.

12-01-2012, 01:54 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
Still can't beat Minnesota or Calgary... Oh wait a second... we can't even beat their farm teams...with our 4 best players
Sometimes you just don't have puck luck. I like the Barons chances in a 7 game series.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 01:54 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
IMO we have 3 guys that think the game at an elite level, RNH, Eberle, and Schultz. I haven't seen enough of Nail to know whether he'll be included in the list or not. RNH's and Schultz' vision are nothing short of amazing. While I wouldn't say that Schultz' vision = RNH's, IMO he has the second best vision on the club and it's quite amazing to see that vision from the blueline. Eberle is just an amazing stickhandler, tremendously smart, has a great set of hands, and is both shifty and strong on his skates. Hall will take things into his own hands and uses his speed to open up odd man situations and to retrieve 50/50 pucks. Hall IMO is our least skilled of the big 5, but his leadership and his willingness to put himself in harms way to win makes him a special player in his own rite.
For all the talk of Hall not having the skill he is producing as much as any of them. He's also two years younger than Eberle and Schultz. Oh, and he is coming off a major shoulder surgery which saw him sidelined for 7 months. I'm a little bit surprised at the lack of respect of Hall's skill. He has done nothing but be a top level scorer in his career. Taylor Hall might have a different skill set then RNH and Eberle but his is of an equal level in my eye, more unique and perhaps more difficult to defend against.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

The goal Hall scored last night should show that he does indeed possess some elite skill.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Qrispy

I think it's wrong when people say Hall has low hockey IQ or whatever. He's not as slick as RNH or Eberle but he just knows where to be on the ice to get goals. I'd say his offensive instinct is top notch even though he doesn't have the hands or shot to compliment it.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:08 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
I think it's wrong when people say Hall has low hockey IQ or whatever. He's not as slick as RNH or Eberle but he just knows where to be on the ice to get goals. I'd say his offensive instinct is top notch even though he doesn't have the hands or shot to compliment it.
The thing is I would say he has the hands and shot to compliment it. His shot might not be as accurate as Eberle's but it can beat a goalie from further out because of its velocity, and while he might not be able to dangle in a phone booth like RNH he can pull off quick dekes at high speeds that see him blow by defenders.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:13 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
For all the talk of Hall not having the skill he is producing as much as any of them. He's also two years younger than Eberle and Schultz. Oh, and he is coming off a major shoulder surgery which saw him sidelined for 7 months. I'm a little bit surprised at the lack of respect of Hall's skill. He has done nothing but be a top level scorer in his career. Taylor Hall might have a different skill set then RNH and Eberle but his is of an equal level in my eye, more unique and perhaps more difficult to defend against.
Well depends how you define skill. I agree with BBO, but what I think he means is that Hall is the most physically skilled but sees the ice the worse. Hall has incredible skating ability. At some point in his career he will be the hardest player in the NHL to defend against on a one on one. His goal the other night will be something he will do many times in his career.

Any way, differnt skill set. I don't think Hall is less skilled, but he isn't as good of a passer as ebs, shultz, and nuge. His raw physical skill is the highest of the group though.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:18 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
The thing is I would say he has the hands and shot to compliment it. His shot might not be as accurate as Eberle's but it can beat a goalie from further out because of its velocity, and while he might not be able to dangle in a phone booth like RNH he can pull off quick dekes at high speeds that see him blow by defenders.
I agree. I think we're just so spoiled by the skill level of the others that it makes Hall's weaker parts of his game seem like flaws.

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:47 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
His hands, passing, and shot accuracy are nowhere near as good as the other 4. What he does have on the other kids in the AHL is his explosive acceleration and top end speed as well as the velocity on his shot. As for him being as productive as the others, IMO a lot of that had to do with how hot Eberle and Schultz were instead of how good his play was.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 03:23 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I agree. I think we're just so spoiled by the skill level of the others that it makes Hall's weaker parts of his game seem like flaws.
Yeah, the funny thing is that Hall has made some pretty great passes in the last year, it's just compared to the top-level vision of the others that he somehow seems "deficient".

Ironically he finishes so well last night and on the other recent goal where he just outwaits the goalie, but he's not great on breakaways & shootout moves.

That's to me the only flaw in his offensive game. Just do a Sakic and use that wrist shot.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 03:32 PM
RipsADrive
Maybe next year?

Quote:
Unfortunately that never seems to translates to when he's actually 1 on 1 with the goalie.

RipsADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 03:38 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Yeah, the funny thing is that Hall has made some pretty great passes in the last year, it's just compared to the top-level vision of the others that he somehow seems "deficient".

Ironically he finishes so well last night and on the other recent goal where he just outwaits the goalie, but he's not great on breakaways & shootout moves.

That's to me the only flaw in his offensive game. Just do a Sakic and use that wrist shot.
Couldn't agree more. I still don't understand why coaches haven't gone over it. He's not as deceptive as Eberle, so his dekes don't work as well on goalies. Just do a little shoulder fake, and rip it wherever you see an opening

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 04:49 PM
spOiler

Hall also probably has the second best release speed after Yak... and his passes are pretty solid remember that perfect drop pass vs NYR early in the season last year that nuge sniped. That pass could not have been smoother.

spOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 04:53 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuswald View Post
Hopefully not with the oilers.
Congratulations! You just won the stupid comment of the day contest!!

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 07:09 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Personally I think if Hall is indeed the #5 best talent on the Oilers... that's a pretty damn good position for the team to be in... and knowing that Hall is probably the most competitive/hungry/driven player on the team that #5 position on the talent totem pole won't sit well with him and he'll constantly be trying to improve and play better... which is great for internal competition on the team to push each other and excel as a group.

Throw in players like Hemsky and Hartikainen and even Gagner and you have the makings of a VERY good roster.

The blueline short-term will still be a team weakness but with Klefbom/Marincin/Musil/Gernat/LaLeggia coming up I think it's looking very promising there as well.

Only place I'm not super optimistic is in net but one of Bunz/Roy could certainly turn into a #1 goaltender as well.

I'd definitely be super-pissed if the great basket of prospects the Oilers have accumulated were all split up in some type of moronic "de-certification scheme" because of this stupid lockout which is being fought over a few percent of a large pie. All the pieces are finally starting to fall into place and now it just might be all ripped apart before it really has a chance to begin.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 12:00 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Hall is most certainly the most dynamic physical talent. Eberle is the most efficient with the puck as his hands give him tremendous execution. Hopkins is the most cerebral seeing the game on another level. Schultz is like a little bit of all three (great skater with tremendous execution who sees the ice very well.), but obviously much different due to being a dman. Yakupov is probably going to be the best pure shooter. It's a tremendous group with each player seemingly having their own trait that sets them over the top.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 05:19 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
I love how we're arguing over whose meaner/better/bigger/stronger/faster/cuter between Hopkins, Hall, Eberle, Schultz, and Yakupov...wouldve been an absolute dream to do five years ago...lol

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 06:02 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Breakaway and shootout stuff tends to get really overrated when it comes to goalscoring ability. Some of the best NHL goalscorers in the league have typically been average, if not below average in that aspect of the game.

Hall is not a low IQ player either, he's just a different type of player. He does play a very impulsive and bull'ish game which has probably contributed to that undeserved label, it's an idea that should die out as he gets older and gains experience and becomes more effective in the league.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 06:08 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Breakaway and shootout stuff tends to get really overrated when it comes to goalscoring ability. Some of the best NHL goalscorers in the league have typically been average, if not below average in that aspect of the game.

Hall is not a low IQ player either, he's just a different type of player. He does play a very impulsive and bull'ish game which has probably contributed to that undeserved label, it's an idea that should die out as he gets older and gains experience and becomes more effective in the league.
This is fair. He's actually a very smart player without the puck. He knows where to go, where to put his body to create space for his linemates, etc. At that part of the game he's near-elite (seriously), and a lot of his production comes off of it - perhaps his best non-physical attribute.

When people say he's got low IQ it's what happens when he's got the puck on his stick. I don't think anyone outside of Hemsky gives the puck away as much as him on the PP (and at least Hemsky's trying to pass when he does it). He also has questionable decision-making when entering the zone on the rush with the puck on his stick. This tendency to go outside rather than push in, which has resulted in big hit after big hit, not to mention low-percentage shots. With Hall, the less time the puck is on his stick, the better. It's not a bad trait either, there are very successful players that have that quality eg) Smyth, Kesler, Heatley, Lupul, etc.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Oi'll say!

I can't believe the Oilers managed to pick up a young ufa d-man with talent on the same level as Eberle, RNH et al.

It was cool when Schultz grabbed the league lead in scoring after a few games but I never thought it would hold up for long and I was still ecstatic with that. He's actually pulling away from everyone right now, including Jordan Eberle who was almost 1 ppg last year in the nhl.

There's no doubt that the Oilers have, by far, their best young crop of players since the early '80's. It's almost an exciting time to be an Oiler fan, if I can just give a crap about hockey when it finally comes back.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Oi'll say!

I was a Seguin backer at the draft but I don't rank Hall 5th here.

The speed at which he attacks the opposition blueline and his desire to get the puck to the net brings a dimension to the Oilers which can't be underestimated. Teams are a bit more back on their heels with Hall in the lineup.

Come playoff time when it's harder to gain the zone we have a guy who's a threat to take the puck right to the net who also has the speed, strength and intensity to retrieve the puck on the dump-in, and the skill to be dangerous with it when he gets it. He's like a combo of Hemsky and Georges Laraque from back in the days when the Oilers played against the Dallas Stars ever year.

Hall will gain lots of fans when the real show begins.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:39 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

One thing I've noticed change over Hall's two seasons and watching him play is the amount of respect the opposing Dmen play him with now. He won a lot of foot races to the puck up the wing in his rookie season.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 12:09 PM
AK Dandyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
I was a Seguin backer at the draft but I don't rank Hall 5th here.

The speed at which he attacks the opposition blueline and his desire to get the puck to the net brings a dimension to the Oilers which can't be underestimated. Teams are a bit more back on their heels with Hall in the lineup.

Come playoff time when it's harder to gain the zone we have a guy who's a threat to take the puck right to the net who also has the speed, strength and intensity to retrieve the puck on the dump-in, and the skill to be dangerous with it when he gets it. He's like a combo of Hemsky and Georges Laraque from back in the days when the Oilers played against the Dallas Stars ever year.

Hall will gain lots of fans when the real show begins.
I share your view as well. Hall is the kind of offensive player that can be a catalyst for the playoff with his speed, relentless and determination.

Sometimes, the difference in a playoff game is your team ability to break through the tight checking a couple more times than your opponent.

AK Dandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 12:15 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Dandyman View Post
I share your view as well. Hall is the kind of offensive player that can be a catalyst for the playoff with his speed, relentless and determination.

Sometimes, the difference in a playoff game is your team ability to break through the tight checking a couple more times than your opponent.
Indeed and Hall will take a big hit if that's what's needed. As long as he just gets bumps/bruises when that time comes his style of play will win us games. Besides if he gets hit hard Nuge will take that players # and drill them the next chance that he gets!

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 02:01 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
Nuge has Crosbys temper without all the whining after..

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote