HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NYI & Barclays Center To Make Major Announcement (mod edit: NYI to Brooklyn in 2015)

Old
11-30-2012, 06:39 PM
Dado

vCash:
On my way home from a week working in/around Midtown, while camping out in a Jersey City flat @ Avalon Cove. That's an amazing transformation for Hoboken, JC, etc, from where they were not so many years ago.

Old
11-30-2012, 07:00 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
The lower bowl cavity is too small to hold an NHL ice surface with full seaing. They have to retract seating at one end, which eliminates some seats and obstructs the views of others - similar to the configuration of the United Airways center / America West Arena when the 'Yotes played there.

Seating chart from this years cancelled pre-season game at the Barclays Center:

Comparing that preseason seating chart to the new 3-D seating chart, we can see where Yormark wants the extra seats on the west side..adding sections 1, 3, 4, 6, 26,28, 29, 31, 102, 104, 105,201, 202, 230 and 231.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 01:30 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

I wonder if they're going to make the lower bowl at the east end of the arena into retractable seats similar to the way the west end is now. I've been to Barclays already and the east end is all permanent seats. If they were to do construction and fix that, it would solve the capacity issue IMO. Lowe bowl seats would stay the same capacity as you're taking away some east end seats but adding west end seats but you open up the 100's and 200's to be sold. Maybe that's where they're getting those extra seat figures from because I have no clue where else it's coming from. Arena fits just under 18,000 for basketball and having been there, I didn't know how it even fit that many. Very small arena.

12-01-2012, 01:38 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander102 View Post
Land costs, labor costs, and the fact that like MSG, TD Garden, etc, the building was being built on top of a massive underground transit hub/rail yard. When you do that, you have to worry about building the building in such a way where nothing underneath it will bear the brunt of the weight of the building, so construction is a lot more complicated. It's a lot more expensive than building a building on a giant block of empty land.

Plus the locations aren't really that comparable. Barclays Center is in a ridiculously populated area a stone's throw from Manhattan, a 5 minute walk from absurdly upscale neighborhoods, an 8 minute train ride from lower manhattan. The Prudential Center is much further from manhattan, in a much less populated area, in a neighborhood that was generally viewed as awful until the arena was built. A NYC comparable for where Prudential Center is built would be more like Willets Point than downtown Brooklyn. An NJ comparison for where Barclays is would be more like the Jersey City or Hoboken waterfront, where the building would have likely cost a lot more than 375 mil.
That makes sense, especially the part about building on top of a transit hub. Thanks

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:16 PM
CREW99AW

Nino and Anders Nilson caught the recent Nets/Knicks game at Barclays Center. Nilson and his girlfriend sat in section 104, Nino in section 118.

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|NYI|home
Niederreiter & Nilsson Ready For Barclays Center
Tuesday, 11.27.2012 / 4:39 PM / News
By Nino Niederreiter and Anders Nilsson

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Nino and Anders Nilson caught the recent Nets/Knicks game at Barclays Center. Nilson and his girlfriend sat in section 104, Nino in section 118.

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|NYI|home
Niederreiter & Nilsson Ready For Barclays Center
Tuesday, 11.27.2012 / 4:39 PM / News
By Nino Niederreiter and Anders Nilsson
Quote:
It was really easy getting there. We got off the highway and we were able to park without a problem.
I call ******** on this. Parking is not a problem. But easy to get there off the BQE? At 5-6:30 pm, you can hardly move on that darn highway (I know, I have to take it quite often). His other option would have been to go through the city and the Battery Tunnel, which can't be fun at that time either.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote