Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Russia

2013 WJC Russian Roster

Old
11-30-2012, 09:42 AM
Yakushev72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
Zlobin is an outstanding player and should be there. Much, much better than Kapustin.

I'd like to see a QMJHL line with Z, Grigs and Kucherov.
Kapustin sometimes has trouble handling the puck in high speed combinational plays, but he has some other values. He's good size, a great skater, very physical and he works really hard all the time. He might be the best defensive forward.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 10:41 AM
tourlord*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourlord View Post
This thread is in the wrong forum

tourlord* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post

cska is right, Kucherov maybe just a pr move, hopefully he'll go all out and change Varnakov's mind.
Why would it be a PR move? He was injured and that's it. Of course he has to prove he belongs there after the injury.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:51 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
Why would it be a PR move? He was injured and that's it. Of course he has to prove he belongs there after the injury.
Because of what Varnakov has said recently.

I hope he proves himself and everything, if that's the case its fine. But if Varnakov didn't call him- it would be a big deal. His concerns are legit though.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:53 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dares View Post
Hopefully Yakimov doesnt make it. Theres better guys than him. It has been mentioned a lot of times the guy cant skate.
Bragin was getting it right to the last man but i expect Varnakov to have 1-2 forwards/defencemen with ?
Prokhorkin found himself in same situation Kabanov was last year. Bragin said in an interview that he doesnt know what Kabanov is up to-moving to Sweden (rumors), to me it sounded more like an excuse, he just didnt want him in the team. Prokhorkin is not playing, same as Kabanov he would be an improvement over 1-2 4th line guys but the difference is minimal, a hot, top shape Prokhorkin would be a diff story but hes nowhere close.
Overall i see a lot of depth in this team, defence looks unreal.
I think Prokhorkin knew that by going to AHL he was pretty much not going to make the WJC (few AHLers ever end up going). This is an example of a stupid move to NA, add it to the list. He could've waited it out like Gusev- play some VHL then loaned to a weaker KHL team and get experience. But Not good enough for him- impatient youth...

Old
11-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
I know that he is probably a lock to make the team, but Nesterov did not play very well during the SSS imo. He made a number of mistakes.

Overall, there is a lot of talent on this team. Goaltending and Offense should certainly be considered strengths of this team.

There are no D-men of Orlov's caliber, but overall there is more depth on the blueline then in most years.
His down side is that he seems to have a talent for making dumb mistakes. His upside is that he has a lot of offensive skills.

Old
11-30-2012, 07:39 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
Kapustin sometimes has trouble handling the puck in high speed combinational plays, but he has some other values. He's good size, a great skater, very physical and he works really hard all the time. He might be the best defensive forward.
Should be room for both he and Zlobin, I hope.

Fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 03:31 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Zlobin is an outstanding player and should be there.
Zlobin is an outstanding player now?
aside from a very good shot for junior level, what exactly makes him outstanding?

for the larger surface there probably were several better options. Not saying he can't succeed especially if he plays with Grigo, but calling him an outstanding player sounds odd to me.

helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 03:44 AM
Fantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter View Post
Zlobin is an outstanding player now?
aside from a very good shot for junior level, what exactly makes him outstanding?

for the larger surface there probably were several better options. Not saying he can't succeed especially if he plays with Grigo, but calling him an outstanding player sounds odd to me.
Not odd at all. Zlobin has played fantastic this year and was clutch at the Memorial Cup last spring. He would be one the better players on the team.

Old
12-01-2012, 04:16 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
I don't see any logic behind having Kosov on the 4th line. He is one of the most effective players on the team at bringing the puck into the zone and physical play, why limit him to the 4th.

My guess for lines would be

Slepyshev-Sigarev-Yakupov
Zlobin-Grigorenko-Kucherov
Kosov-Khokhlochev-Shalunov *Shalunov plays a lot better at his natural RW
Kapustin-Tkachev-Nichushkin
i'd rather have Prokhorkin and Zhafyarov, but since it's not possible anymore, that lineup makes sense and at the WJC the first 2 lines may look just like that.

I'd be fine with this:
Slepyshev-Sigarev-Yakupov
Zlobin-Grigorenko-Kucherov
Kosov-Khokhlochev-Nichushkin
Shenfeld-Tkachev-Shalunov

or

Slepyshev-Grigorenko-Kucherov
Kosov-Sigarev-Yakupov
Shenfeld-Khokhlochev-Nichushkin
Kapustin-Tkachev-Shalunov

Hopefully Slepyshev is close to 100% by then, cause he seems like a kind of player this team would miss otherwise.

Old
12-01-2012, 04:33 AM
Zine

Quote:
Not odd at all. Zlobin has played fantastic this year and was clutch at the Memorial Cup last spring. He would be one the better players on the team.
Huh?

Apart from role player Kapustin, Zlobin is arguably the least talented winger likely to make the roster. Yakupov, Kosov, Kucherov, Slepyshev, Shalunov, and Nichushkin are better than he is.

Saying that, I think Zlobin would do quite well on a Grigorenko-Kucherov line. Varnakov has shown a tendency to even out lines and roll them.

Last edited by Zine: 12-01-2012 at 04:38 AM.
Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 07:17 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Ye, its good that he is doing well in a junior league, but his competition are some serious KHLers for their age. He is actually one of the weaker wingers on this team. Still a good player though. It just shows how deep the offensive core is on this team.

Old
12-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Fantomas

You guys are seriously biased against CHLers. And this doesn't surprise me.

Zlobin would be one the this team's leaders, assuming Varnakov lets him. He has a seriously great pair of hands.

Agreed that this is a deep team.

Old
12-01-2012, 02:39 PM
Fantomas

Also suggesting that someone is better because they play in a senior league is pretty funny logic.

A lot of mediocre youngsters get playing time in the KHL. That doesn't make them better than a CHLer.

As an example, Kuvaev has played in 3 KHL games this year and was run out of the WHL last year.

Old
12-02-2012, 12:03 AM
Yakushev72

I really like the depth of talent on both offense and defense this year. We still have to see how Varnakov will coach when everything is on the line (Ufa), but I like the team he has put together, and I really like the improvements on defense.

Old
12-02-2012, 03:28 AM
coursy17

Quote:
You guys are seriously biased against CHLers. And this doesn't surprise me.

Zlobin would be one the this team's leaders, assuming Varnakov lets him. He has a seriously great pair of hands.

Agreed that this is a deep team.
agreed this thread is seriously biased against CHLers. Zlobin was impressive in sss when he played and in summer series and in memorial cup hes good. just because someone played 25 games and has 2 points in the KHL doesnt make them better.

KHL numbers

Kosov- 2 goals 1 assist
shalunov-not in the K
sigarev 0 goals 0 assists
slepyshev 3 goals 0 assists
Khokhlachev 2 goals 3 assists
nichushkin 1 game 0 g 0 a
tkachev 0 goals 0 assists
kapustin-no in the K

like theres some examples of zlobins "serious khl competition" you cant honestly tell me zlobin wouldnt be able to put up those "numbers" in the K right now. if anything hes better off in the Q actually playing actually finding his scoring touch.

coursy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 05:33 AM
YashinWorksHard

Anton Slepyshev is playing right now his first game with MNK after two months injured, great great news.

YashinWorksHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 06:11 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by coursy17 View Post
agreed this thread is seriously biased against CHLers. Zlobin was impressive in sss when he played and in summer series and in memorial cup hes good. just because someone played 25 games and has 2 points in the KHL doesnt make them better.

KHL numbers

Kosov- 2 goals 1 assist
shalunov-not in the K
kapustin-no in the K

like theres some examples of zlobins "serious khl competition" you cant honestly tell me zlobin wouldnt be able to put up those "numbers" in the K right now. if anything hes better off in the Q actually playing actually finding his scoring touch.
you're right, coaching staff must be idiots by giving preference to players who practice and play with professionals like Malkin day in and out and who went through intense Pre-season training with the main team. These are the same guys who have much higher expectations and are used to playing in a much harder league than the CHL. (Or do you think CHL is better than KHL?? LOL) Maybe they should favor guys who played great in some Junior league, like Khokhlochev with his amazing CHL career who couldn't even get a point for like 20 games in KHL.

It's a valid statement to say that Zlobin is a good player who deserves to be on a good team, but you can't compare CHL and KHL experience, the gap between the leagues and expectations for the players is huge.

Kosov might not have great numbers in KHL be he looked like man among boys if you watched the SSS. Same goes for a lot of other guys on the team. Shalunov, Sigarev and Kapustin among others played A LOT in VHL, which is also a pro league btw. Their stats there are quiet respectable there actually, and its again, a much tougher league to play in than jrs - they are playing against men and professionals.

Btw, the 2010-11 Russian WJC team was full of 'limited experience' KHL players who won the gold. Enough said.

Last edited by Fulcrum: 12-02-2012 at 06:19 AM.
Old
12-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Zine

Who cares where Zlobin plays, despite some really nice skills he's a lower level talent on this team.

And there is no anti-CHL bias. Everybody here has players like Grigorenko, Kucherov, Sergeev, Zadorov, Makarov, and Zlobin himself penciled into their potential lineups.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 01:40 PM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coursy17 View Post

KHL numbers

Kosov- 2 goals 1 assist
shalunov-not in the K
kapustin-no in the K

for what it's worth:

- iirc, Zlobin was actually bad in the 2 Summer Series games played in Russia, which coincidentally were the only games played on the larger surface (the one used at the WJC) among the ones you mentioned.

- Nichushkin has 2 KHL assists so far.

Generally speaking, those stats are heavily afftected by the little icetime these guys get in the KHL. I don't think Zlobin would be playing KHL hockey if he were in Russia right now, probably MHL, or VHL maybe.
Anyway, agree that those stats don't make the guys from KHL automatically better, just like Zlobin's CHL numbers don't make him better.
People are probably looking more at the level of play they showcased.

Old
12-02-2012, 11:46 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
Btw, the 2010-11 Russian WJC team was full of 'limited experience' KHL players who won the gold. Enough said.
What about all the other teams that didn't? I guess they don't count.

Old
12-02-2012, 11:48 PM
Fantomas

Not crazy about Nichuskin's tunnel vision, but he does intrigue me. And he has improved this year. I'd be all right with him on the team.

Regardless he is a big, raw project and this will show if he's placed anywhere but the fourth line.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:15 AM
coursy17

Quote:
you're right, coaching staff must be idiots by giving preference to players who practice and play with professionals like Malkin day in and out and who went through intense Pre-season training with the main team. These are the same guys who have much higher expectations and are used to playing in a much harder league than the CHL. (Or do you think CHL is better than KHL?? LOL) Maybe they should favor guys who played great in some Junior league, like Khokhlochev with his amazing CHL career who couldn't even get a point for like 20 games in KHL.

It's a valid statement to say that Zlobin is a good player who deserves to be on a good team, but you can't compare CHL and KHL experience, the gap between the leagues and expectations for the players is huge.

Kosov might not have great numbers in KHL be he looked like man among boys if you watched the SSS. Same goes for a lot of other guys on the team. Shalunov, Sigarev and Kapustin among others played A LOT in VHL, which is also a pro league btw. Their stats there are quiet respectable there actually, and its again, a much tougher league to play in than jrs - they are playing against men and professionals.

i watched summer series and sss i like kosovs game i dont want to sit here and put hi down but between the summer series and sss kosov played 9 games 1 goal 2 assists, zlobin played 6 and had 3 goals. its tough to say kosov was a man against boys. i know the vhl and khl are much higher competition then the chl but if your not playing or getting minutes practice can only get you so far. look at prokhorkin playing in the ahl he gets minimal games and minimal ice therefore he is irrelevant. imho zlobin should be on the team so should kosov shalunov nichuskin slepyshev sigarev etc. i just dont think the gap in talents is so far that people are putting zlobin down like he cant make a difference because he can. all in all its a deep offense should make for good competition.

coursy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 04:32 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
What about all the other teams that didn't? I guess they don't count.
Well that's just it, Russia's and USSR strength in prior years has always been players who matured early and played in RSL/2nd teams (also vs professionals). I'm talking about Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Afinogenov, Mogilny, Bure and even Bragin year teams (late 70's). If you know the history of these teams, you will know that there was no junior league in Russia before, and nearly all youths played with professionals (for the 2nd teams). And we know that Russians have historically won A LOT of WJC tournaments this way.

The drop came after the 05, which as we know was a disastrous production year for Russian hockey and the severe negligence of the 90's was at fault.

There are a ton of interviews from WJC coaches stating that preference is always given to KHL players for obvious reasons.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:50 AM
YashinWorksHard

I miss Zhafyarov in that list.

YashinWorksHard is offline   Reply With Quote