HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Jagr said his biggest NHL goal was PIT-NJD game 6 OT goal

Old
12-01-2012, 07:21 AM
Mirinho

vCash: 500
Jagr said his biggest NHL goal was PIT-NJD game 6 OT goal

Jagr posted on his http://www.facebook.com/68Jagr his most important NHL goal ... (check for video)

he's explaining why it is this goal ...

it was May 2, 1999 and it was the biggest he's scored in his entire career. It tied the series and may have saved the franchise.

Pens were losing, 3-2, in the series and if they would lose in the first round the team would move to Kansas City because they had no money. Pens had to make the second round to get the (money for) the payments.

Mirinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 07:23 AM
Mirinho

time 5:10

what a game .. do you remember it?

Mirinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 07:30 AM
JWells16

He was a a boss that entire game.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 07:44 AM
P U L L H A R D
#shewenttoharvard

vCash: 420
I vividly remember watching that game. Amazing.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 09:49 AM
Big Phil

This was Jagr at his peak, unreal. He had just seperated himself from the rest of the pack in a way that we hadn't seen since Mario/Gretzky. This was one of those games that we as Canadians call "gutsy" because Jagr was suffering from a groin problem (or ribs, I can't remember) but either way it was a game he shouldn't have played. He ties the game, wins it in overtime against Brodeur (who has a surprisingly poor playoff overtime record) and then got 3 points for the win in Game 7. He was such a dominating force out there and in all honesty we haven't seen a player do that on the ice like Jagr since..............Jagr. That includes Ovechkin and Crosby. I'm sorry but neither had a year like 1999 Jagr.

I know the Pens had a lot of financial troubles but I really don't remember anything about the team moving to Kansas City if they lost this round. Mario still had to come and save the day in 1999 with part ownership either way so I don't think it would have mattered. The Penguins were broke at that time.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
It is a travesty that some Penguins fans aren't even considering him as a jersey retirement.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 10:43 AM
gretzkyoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
This was Jagr at his peak, unreal. He had just seperated himself from the rest of the pack in a way that we hadn't seen since Mario/Gretzky. This was one of those games that we as Canadians call "gutsy" because Jagr was suffering from a groin problem (or ribs, I can't remember) but either way it was a game he shouldn't have played. He ties the game, wins it in overtime against Brodeur (who has a surprisingly poor playoff overtime record) and then got 3 points for the win in Game 7. He was such a dominating force out there and in all honesty we haven't seen a player do that on the ice like Jagr since..............Jagr. That includes Ovechkin and Crosby. I'm sorry but neither had a year like 1999 Jagr.

I know the Pens had a lot of financial troubles but I really don't remember anything about the team moving to Kansas City if they lost this round. Mario still had to come and save the day in 1999 with part ownership either way so I don't think it would have mattered. The Penguins were broke at that time.
100% agree. This will silence anyone who thinks Jagr never played his heart out. He was the best player on the ice even though he was injured and had not skated in a while.

As a side note, that was tremendous hockey. Straka is totally underrated. Jagr's 1 on 1 play on Stevens was great (~3:40).

gretzkyoilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 10:59 AM
NjDevsRR

I recorded game 7 when I was a little kid since my parents made me go to be early. I waited until after school the next day to be heartbroken

NjDevsRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 12:47 PM
gretzkyoilers

To give some perspective on the seriousness of Jagr's injury:

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/05/03/sp...-his-pain.html

Quote:
On the brink of capturing their opening-round Stanley Cup playoff series, the Devils were victimized by the Penguin star Jaromir Jagr today. Making an electrifying return from a groin injury that had kept him out of four previous games, Jagr tied the score with a goal late in the third period and sent the Devils to a 3-2 defeat with another goal in overtime.

Jagr took advantage of the Devils' conservative play after they had a one-goal lead and enabled the Penguins to force a seventh and deciding game in New Jersey Tuesday night. The loss was the sixth overtime setback in a row in playoff action for the Devils.

''We were a little stunned and shocked,'' Devils defenseman Brad Bombardir said, ''but this is playoff hockey and things like this happen when you have the best player in the league playing. We can take the blame, though, because we became a little conservative.''

Jagr was hobbled so badly that he could barely stand up on skates before the Devils' 4-3 victory Friday in Game 5. He talked pessimistically Saturday of playing in today's game, but became more encouraged after being fitted with some scuba-diver's pants that provided more support and partly eased the pain.

''I felt pretty good,'' Jagr said. ''The new pants held my leg a little tighter and I felt much better when I skated. That's when I decided to play.''
Wow. You rarely hear of stories like that anymore.

gretzkyoilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 01:19 PM
Human
cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
It is a travesty that some Penguins fans aren't even considering him as a jersey retirement.
(mod)I haven't met any Pens fans that actually believe this. #68 will go to the rafters automatically sooner or later.

it will be a travesty the day the Rangers will retire his number.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 12-01-2012 at 02:33 PM. Reason: no it isn't
Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Martyros

Quote:
The guy would have to retire before having his jersey retired, no?

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 01:30 PM
TheRollingPuck
Free fallin'

Quote:
Well, Ranger fans have only positive memories of Jagr. So I guess your opinion is to be expected.

TheRollingPuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 01:47 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human View Post
I haven't met any Pens fans that actually believe this. #68 will go to the rafters automatically sooner or later.

it will be a travesty the day the Rangers will retire his number.
Jagr helped the Rangers a lot post '05 lockout but I wouldn't bet on them retiring his number.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 12-01-2012 at 02:33 PM. Reason: QEP
KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 01:54 PM
TheStroker

I was so lucky to have been at that game. The atmosphese was unlike anything I've ever seen before. Glad to see Jagr recognizes the importance of that game!

TheStroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirinho View Post
what a game .. do you remember it?
It was a great game and a great series.

That Penguins team had to be the most Euro-flavored team in recent memory.

Sven Butenschon, Jan Hrdina, Jaromir Jagr, Darius Kasparaitis, Alex Kovalev, Robert Lang, Aleksey Morozov, Martin Skrbek, Peter Skudra, Martin Sonnenberg, Martin Straka, German Titov, and Jiri Slegr.

Konk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:08 PM
SomeDude

That game and that goal was the highlight of my childhood fandom.

Quote:
Putting aside how he left, I think a team should only consider jersey retirements for players who spend their whole careers with a team, and thus far it would appear the team agrees with me. Hows that a travesty?

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:23 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post
That game and that goal was the highlight of my childhood fandom.

Putting aside how he left, I think a team should only consider jersey retirements for players who spend their whole careers with a team, and thus far it would appear the team agrees with me. Hows that a travesty?
Do you realize that in today's NHL, it is extremely rare that a player plays his entire career for one single franchise.

For every Lemieux, Sakic, Yzerman, Brodeur and Lidstrom, there is a Jagr, Bure, Sundin, Gretzky, Chelios, Bourque, Leetch and Roy.

Jagr should have his jersey retired by Pittsburgh no questions asked. He will always be the second greatest Penguins player and that says a lot when that franchise has seen the likes of Coffey, Francis, Kehoe, Lemieux, Crosby and Malkin don the Black and Gold/Yellow.

His PPG as a Penguin is second to only Lemieux, he's second in goals, assists and points in both the regular season and playoffs and he kept that franchise alive during the Lemieux retirement years and for all those reasons he should have his jersey hanging next to his idol and mentor # 66.

#66 anhd # 68 should be side by side.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Burgs

There is more to jersey retirement than stats. I'm a die hard Pens fan and I hope Jagr NEVER gets this honor here.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:51 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
There is more to jersey retirement than stats. I'm a die hard Pens fan and I hope Jagr NEVER gets this honor here.
If Bure had his jersey retired in Vancouver and Roy his in Montreal then it's only fair Jagr has his retired in Pittsburgh.

It's not only stats, it's the fact that he brought fans to the arena and out of their seats on consistent basis, he was as exciting a player as they came and outside of his one season (2000-01) where he still won the Art Ross mind you, he was a great player who gave his all for the city.

1 bad year (where he was still a dynamite player) should not spoil 10 great years he had in Pittsburgh.

Some upset Penguins fans act like he killed their mothers or something. The NHL is a business and Jagr made a business decision when he left Pittsburgh.

The Penguins felt that if they were going to resign Jagr for a minimum of 10 million, there was no way they could have kept Lang, Straka and Kovalev.

If Penguins fans were expecting Jagr to sign for less than he deserved then they should also expect the same from Crosby.

He won 5 Art Ross trophies, 1 Hart, 2 Pearsons, 2 Stanley Cups and scored numerous "Big" goals for the Penguins. That team wouldn't even be in Pittsburgh if not for Jagr. He kept them competitive and exciting enough for Lemieux to come in and save them financially.

Old
12-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Apparently keeping the franchise alive isn't good enough.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Burgs

I don't care who else retires somebody's jersey. The Pens should have more sense than trying to honor a former star who has made it abundantly clear that he doesn't give a **** about the organization since he left them. He'd probably no show his own jersey retirement anyway.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 03:51 PM
livewell68

Quote:
I don't care who else retires somebody's jersey. The Pens should have more sense than trying to honor a former star who has made it abundantly clear that he doesn't give a **** about the organization since he left them. He'd probably no show his own jersey retirement anyway.
It's not Jagr who doesn't care about Pittsbrugh, it's the other way around, and quite frankly I would feel the same way about a team that basically **** on you and boos you everytime you touch the puck when you basically gave it your all for that same team for a decade.

Old
12-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Wrath

Jagr did say that every time he came back to Pittsburgh fans openly booed him (this is before the signing with the flyers thing).

I think I recall that he's still on good terms with Mario, so he should have a good chance of getting his jersey retired.

Wrath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 04:58 PM
RoninNYR

The most upsetting thing for me in this whole lockout is I probably will never see Jagr live again. I went to the thanksgiving weekend game @msg last year but he was hurt

RoninNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 05:13 PM
JWells16

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post

If Penguins fans were expecting Jagr to sign for less than he deserved then they should also expect the same from Crosby.
He did.

Jagr is also not a shoe-in to be the second best Penguin player ever. Some already put Crosby ahead of him (which I disagree with). Jagr left on bad terms, stayed on bad terms, attempted to come back, and then essentially said "no" to the Penguins on bad terms.

He'll probably have his number retired here eventually, but it won't be for awhile. The Penguins can show as much respect to him as he has to them. At this point, that's very little.

I was hoping not to sidetrack this thread, but it was/is clearly headed in that direction.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote