HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Can't believe it took me this long to watch...

Old
01-02-2009, 05:43 AM
El_Loco_Avs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
Well one is a cable show with more than a season and the other is a series that usually lasts about a season or under 12 episodes. I'd knock out the Band of Brothers first.

I am going to give it a try again. I keep hearing good things about this series so I might as well give it more than a 2 episode try.

The Wire is a great show though, it's not quick paced so you better sit tight and let the character development unfold.
The early BoB episodes aren't as good as later ones in terms of being gripping I think.

El_Loco_Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 05:48 AM
El_Loco_Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobey View Post
I think David Schwimmer was perfectly cast. He played the role well, and with the casting, the audience hated him much like the paratroopers did as well.

Fallon, eh, he was only in it for seconds so oh well. I'd like him to disappear as you all would as well.
At first you're not sure if you hate it b ecause it's ROSS or because the actual character.

Looking back it makes more sense.

El_Loco_Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374463/...nest/126496534

Apparently there is a trailer out for "The Pacific" but that link doesn't work anymore..

"Due to a request by the Seven Network, the promo showcasing what will be on offer for 2009 has been removed along with another post talking about the HBO series The Pacific.
Also HBO has requested the same promos be removed from You Tube which has been done. Sorry for the inconvenience."

Have My Baby Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Prairie Habs

Anyone else watch this over Remembrance/Veterans Day? I've seen it before, but man, is it ever powerful.

Prairie Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:09 PM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
Anyone else watch this over Remembrance/Veterans Day? I've seen it before, but man, is it ever powerful.
Watching it right now on Spike even though I have the DVD set. It seems that Spike or the History channel runs it every year on Veterans Day and the 4th of July.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Mr Fahrenheit
Valar Morghulis

vCash: 50
Lot of BoB actors doing well now

Damien Lewis
Stephen Graham
Michael Fassbender
James McAvoy
Tom Hardy

Mr Fahrenheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

Don't forget to read the book too

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 06:23 PM
SugarSherm
The One and Only

Watched it again about 3 months ago. It's still my favorite war movie/series/show to this day. I usually find myself watching it every year or so.

SugarSherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 10:53 PM
Astoria
KESLERKESLERKESLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldiermedic View Post
Watched it again about 3 months ago. It's still my favorite war movie/series/show to this day. I usually find myself watching it every year or so.
LOVE LOVE LOVE Band of Brothers! Got it on DVD when it was first released (much cheaper now and I think you can purchase it along with The Pacific at a pretty reduced rate).

I'm actually watching it again (BoB). I'm on the 3rd episode, Carentian right now. I'd have to say Why We Fight and Points are my favourite episodes, but like others have stated, every episode is excellent.

As for The Pacific, which I also own....it's good, but just not as good as BoB in my opinion. I think BoB does a better job at character development...you get to really "know" the characters in BoB; I found there to be a sense of understanding and emotional involvement with the men of Easy Company that just wasn't there, at least for me, in The Pacific.

And if you haven't read Stephen Ambrose's book Band of Brothers I highly recommend it. There's a lot in there that isn't in the series.

Richard Winters also wrote an excellent book, Beyond Band of Brothers which I also recommend. But then again, I'm pretty much a WWII nerd and tend to read/watch just about anything related.

Astoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:21 AM
snowden
Man is matter

Currahee!!

snowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 03:40 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

As someone who loves WW2 movies this is easily the greatest, when I was in highschool I used to VHS record every episode as they came out so I could watch them.

Now winters is a terrorist...

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Astoria
KESLERKESLERKESLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Macklin View Post

Now winters is a terrorist...
I know! I keep expecting Nix to show up with some Vat 69. ; )

Love Homeland!

Astoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 11:41 AM
awfulwaffle

This was one of the few shows I was actually looking forward to the next episode when it would air and I would watch the premiere episodes every week. My mom and I would sit there and we couldn't get enough of it. The "Why We Fight" episode, I believe is the one with the concentration camp, brings me to tears every single time. I couldn't imagine being a soldier at that time finding one of those, and going into it and trying to help those people.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 01:04 PM
XX
... Waiting

The Pacific is much, much better in my opinion. Maybe because it focuses on only a few guys rather than an entire company. It's like they took everything they learned from Band of Brothers and applied it.

intense scene: NSFW
http://youtu.be/_uKuX0d6ofs

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Bocephus86

vCash: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
The Pacific is much, much better in my opinion. Maybe because it focuses on only a few guys rather than an entire company. It's like they took everything they learned from Band of Brothers and applied it.

intense scene: NSFW
http://youtu.be/_uKuX0d6ofs
I actually greatly prefer Band of Brothers to the Pacific although it is very good as well. I didn't like a lot of the slower episodes away from the war, too much focus on that stuff (love story in Australia mostly).

Bocephus86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Shareefruck

I'll be honest, I've been permanently stuck on the first few episodes as well. Serious war movies/series' that dedicate a ton of screentime to gritty war/death/battle scenes have always annoyed me, so I was extra impatient with this.

I'm going to try it again now. Hope the rest of them aren't similar to episode 2.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 12-01-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor

The Pacific was really good but I'll still take Band of Brothers over it easily.

I'd also highly recommend Generation Kill if you're into war mini-series. It is excellent.

Bruins4Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

A long time ago, someone uploaded them to Youtube

Was able to sneak a watch of the first few episodes before they all got taken down

Other than that, caught a few glimpses back when I had cable in college.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:34 AM
Shareefruck

So I thoroughly loved the 3rd episode about "Blithe"... I still don't think the first two episodes were particularly good, though-- Anyone who's on the same boat with me and had struggles starting out should get to episode 3 before jumping to any conclusions

Going to plow through the rest of the series now

I also still kind of find war battles scenes to be exhausting to watch.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:53 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
So I thoroughly loved the 3rd episode about "Blithe"... I still don't think the first two episodes were particularly good, though-- Anyone who's on the same boat with me and had struggles starting out should get to episode 3 before jumping to any conclusions

Going to plow through the rest of the series now

I also still kind of find war battles scenes to be exhausting to watch.
one thing that I appreciated about the first few episodes was how well they portrayed the abject confusion that takes place in combat situations. "What town is that?" "I don't know." "Are there any Nazis there?" "I don't know." "Where's the rendezvous point?" "I don't know." etc. Much more realistic than other war movies that have a very linear "here we are, here are the Nazis, go kill them".

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:42 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I'll be honest, I've been permanently stuck on the first few episodes as well. Serious war movies/series' that dedicate a ton of screentime to gritty war/death/battle scenes have always annoyed me, so I was extra impatient with this.

I'm going to try it again now. Hope the rest of them aren't similar to episode 2.
Serious war movies/series that dedicate a ton of screentime to war scenes annoy you?

I don't understand.

FootKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:58 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
Serious war movies/series that dedicate a ton of screentime to war scenes annoy you?

I don't understand.
It's inherently part of what makes a war movie/series a war movie/series, but yeah, I struggle with that element of them. Is it really hard to understand why someone might find them a bit tedious?

Band of Brothers is a bit different for me because it looks really beautiful (I loved that moment when Blithe started shooting), but long drawn out killing/shooting/explosion scenes in general (something like in Saving Private Ryan for example, which I didn't care for) aren't something that I'm always completely on board with. Should I just be appreciating the chaos, should I be emotionally invested in all the nameless faces dropping like flies, should I be excited and full of andrenaline as if I'm watching an action movie? It's just not something that consistently clicks with me.

But again, I loved episode 3

Old
12-06-2012, 02:13 PM
Mr Fahrenheit
Valar Morghulis

For me "The Breaking Point" is easily my favorite episode

Mr Fahrenheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 03:44 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

As someone that watches a lot of WWII movies, it's easily one of the best if not the best. I didn't think The Pacific was any where near as good, but it's hard to top something like B.O.B which imo has it all.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 04:16 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

BoB was phenomenal. So many actors in it are in Oz, Sopranos , Boardwalk Empire etc .

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote