HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Are the Americans going to overtake hockey in our lifetime?

Old
12-01-2012, 12:32 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Now, a couple things. We've heard this for generations. 1980 was supposed to have kids play hockey by the hoards with the Miracle on Ice. Then Gretzky goes to L.A., then the USA wins the World Cup. I don't think we have really seen the fruits bear from 1996 yet but that 1996 World Cup team was littered with guys who watched the Olympics in 1980. So it takes a bit of time.
The thing is, isolated events don't push whole generations of kids to play the game. The inspiration helps, but it takes a lot more work to convert that short-term boost into something meaningful.

Likewise, it takes a lot more than just numbers to generate elite talent. 500 kids playing in a low-level league will someday be just be 500 teenagers playing in a low-level league. To take the next step in developing elite talent, there has to be an investment of resources at the grassroots level. Higher-end coaching, facilities, and competitions are a big part of it.

So far, we are just not at that stage yet. There needs to be at least another successful generation of growth before we get close to that point.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Tank For Reinhart
HFBoards Sponsor

Nope, Americans care more about college football and basketball then the NHL. These lockouts are certainly not helping.

Tank For Reinhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Renbarg

Probably not, but the increase has a lot to do with Southern Expansion.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 12:42 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Its possible. The USA have 10 times our population after all, its only logical they'd surpass Canada one day. Otherwise hockey has a bleak future.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 12:43 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Gotye View Post
I absolutely think so. More and more kids, families and communities are getting into hockey.

Take this story for instance:
http://www.edmontonsun.com/videos/2000767373001

DFW is very quickly becoming a hockey strong, hockey-hotbed believe it or not.

In my area(a 60 mile radius), I am surrounded by two minor league three minor league franchises, approximately some 10-12 rinks. Quite impressive from what was existing just 10 years ago. That doesn't include the travel teams, high school teams or Dallas Stars.

Although we have yet to see NHL College hockey in DFW.

Don't get me wrong though, the other major three sports will always triumph hockey here though. Still, the growth is very noticeable.
Pretty sure you meant NCAA. For the good the law has done, you can thank Title IX for that one. You'd probably have NCAA programs throughout Texas, the mid-Atlantic, the West Coast, Midwest, a few in Florida, and maybe even some of the SEC schools by now if the sport had been able to grow organically without having to dole out just as many new scholarships to womens sports to compensate.

ACHA is getting pretty big for playing though, but not overly well attended. I'd look up whatever ACHA program is closest to you and go to a few games here and there.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

All your ice are belong to U.S..

12-01-2012, 01:31 PM
MessierII

I don't think so. The gap will close a lot though. It is getting bigger no doubt.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 01:41 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
By pond you mean ice time in general right? Because I think the days of old where you saw players become stars by hitting the outdoor rink are over...the stars now come from the AAA clubs where they hit up the rink 5 times a week.
It's not the same. I know in Edmonton literally every single kid at some point in their childhood hits the outdoor rink to play and this isn't just kids that play hockey it's literally 99% of the population. No matter where you live in Edmonton your within walking distance from an outdoor rink. That's free accessibility you just can't get in most places in the states. When I was young my parents couldn't afford equipment I practiced on the outdoor rink with nothing but an old wood stick and some second hand skates. In the summer I'd play street hockey. Once I got older other kids parents would chip in and help out with sticks and equipment but if I didn't have that accessibility in my community no way I played in the AJHL.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:27 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Its possible. The USA have 10 times our population after all, its only logical they'd surpass Canada one day. Otherwise hockey has a bleak future.
Not really considering 95% of that population doesn't care about hockey.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:29 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie

vCash: 3000
No. We won't.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

NHL Standings Under Different Point Systems
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

Overtake? No.

Americans will become a lot more prevalent, however. I doubt they ever overtake Canada, but they probably will close the gap.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 03:08 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Gretzky, Howe and the Staal brothers would disagree.

Ponds and backyard rinks play a major role in development.
Howe and Gretzky came up in a different time. And you're really out there if you believe that the Staal brothers wouldn't have become NHL players without a pond. Sure, it provided cheap and entertaining hockey and a chance to learn some stick handling and have fun, but the VAST majority of their skilled were honed through playing years of AAA hockey.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 03:11 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Howe and Gretzky came up in a different time. And you're really out there if you believe that the Staal brothers wouldn't have become NHL players without a pond. Sure, it provided cheap and entertaining hockey and a chance to learn some stick handling and have fun, but the VAST majority of their skilled were honed through playing years of AAA hockey.
Yea, but the passion that drove them in AAA hockey came from the ponds and the backyards.

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Jacob8hockey*
Maple Leaf Fan

Actually its always the NHLers who say that they were the ones who would spend hours on the ponds and backyard rinks.

Its what seperates the good and the very good AAA kids. It's also what gets them to AAA to start with. Competitive hockey doesn't start till what age? 9?

Jacob8hockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 03:40 PM
Fire Dumboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
In a country where hockey is the #6 sport, I really don't think so.
No it isn't Baseball, Football, Basketball are definitely higher but what other sport.

Fire Dumboer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 04:09 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
I think the next big American players probably on the way. Really like Jones a lot but we need another Modano type. I think the development program in Ann Arbor has really helped, the US has arrived at the WJC level here lately, last year was disappointing. I do think the standards are going up for US hockey and that is important. Plus if you look at some of the places guys are coming from in California, Texas, heck Zucker is from Las Vegas. It is at least starting to get away from the big three M's and New York. Another common place you see is New Jersey where the Devils success has paid off.

What they searching for is still the big offensive talent down the middle. The D isn't quite as good as the mid 90's but the young guys there are coming. The depth on the wings is probably as good as it ever has been. And while I like Richter, I don't think it can be argued the US has never been better in goal. What they need is the high scoring centerman, Stastny's failure to continue developing has hurt there.

But then again his name or the OP's point on Pominville that points to another thing, even if the US produces this stud. What are the chances Canadian fans don't claim his grandpas Canadian or he isn't really American? Not great and tiring. Canada has never produced a great basketball player because Steve Nash is South African. See isn't that annoying.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 04:12 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiTzLaMia View Post
No it isn't Baseball, Football, Basketball are definitely higher but what other sport.
Soccer is absolutely bigger on a youth level.

Old
12-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Fire Dumboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Ok what is the other one, that puts it at 5

Fire Dumboer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 04:17 PM
NickyMaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Sure, but not many people are playing/watching it when they grow up.

NickyMaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Bizarro Bandwagoner

No. If there's any sport the US might get better at in a generation or two, it's soccer. People have probably been saying that for years but the more Hispanic America gets, the more popular soccer will be.

Bizarro Bandwagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 04:22 PM
sunnyvale420

Quote:
College basketball, college football, nascar

sunnyvale420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
NASCAR and MLS. You could even throw in NCAA as its own category if you want.

Hockey in many American markets is like lacrosse in Edmonton. Would I like to see the Edmonton Rush play? Sure. Would I buy a ticket to for a Rush game ahead of the Oilers and Oil Kings? nope. Thus, I never go see lacrosse.

In many US cities, you have the NBA, MLB, NFL, NCAA, MLS - why would someone buy a hockey ticket when they prefer all of the above?

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Riddum

I think that an American Crosby or Ovechkin (Generational Talent/Superstar) would be a terrific boost for the overall growth of the game in the U.S

Riddum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 04:25 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Last I heard Lacrosse had passed as well, of course at least half the people I know that played hockey also played lacrosse. It is kind of a cross market. I am not going to claim they are really the sports we should be talking about but but distance running and track would have higher participation. And once you open that door swimming, wrestling are all going to have higher numbers in development age brakets and high school participation.

Now certainly on a major league level it gets harder to determine. My guess MMA has passed the NHL, Soccer can be argued on a MLS/Europe following together. Baseball, Football and Basketball are a given. But even a sport like golf far outpaces the NHL in terms of tv figures.

I don't know that I myself believe all that but I love hockey and the NHL. However, I am sure the argument is there to be made.

Old
12-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Scurr

I think they will. Americans invest in sports, they already have a very good hockey program. To play football or basketball you have to be a genetic freak nowadays, I think there is room for hockey to continue to grow.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote