HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C/W Jonathan Drouin - Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL 2013 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2012, 09:58 AM
Mr Writer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leehh View Post
Trust me, Barkov won't slip TOP 3. I had good off the record chat with Button for 5 minutes, enough said.
I'm not saying Barkov will drop out of the Top 3 and Drouin rises to # 3, but take anything Button has to say with a grain of salt. The guy is an absolutely terrible evaluator of talent and his record as a NHL GM proves that, his record of drafting proves that.

Old
11-22-2012, 10:05 AM
clarkebr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I would for sure without a doubt if I were picking that team.... but HC has a different mindset and philosophy. In fact I'd go all out and take an entire kid line of 95 born players as my 3rd line that would include Drouin-Mackinnon and N Petan (95 born player currently 3rd in WHL scoring) That's 3rd line in the event of a lockout that includes RNH 1st line center and Scheifele 2nd line center.

just think, all 3 would be required to wear the cage, thus they'll be nicknamed the Kid line or the Cage line and every successful team seems to have a trio that catches the imagination of media and fans... i.e. the legion of doom.

The team would look something like this...

J HUBERDEAU R NUGENT-HOPKINS T RATTIE
S MONAHAN M SCHEIFELE R STROME
J DROUIN N MACKINNON N PETAN
C HUDON B JENNER B LEIPSIC

P DANAULT

D HAMILTON M RIELLY
G REINHART S HARRINGTON
X OUELLET D POULIOT
R PULLOCK

GOAL
M SUBBAN
L BROSSOIT
half of them would be eligible again next year. Nice dream team but the 93's must have their day with HC.

Old
11-22-2012, 10:09 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by secord92 View Post
I don't think he will knock off Jones,Barkov, or Mackinnon but I could see him going as high as 4. But like somebody above said he is better then Huberdeau at the same age just to put that in perspective.
I'd accept he could make a push for 4th. I still think it's going to be incredibly difficult for him to actually break top 5 but I can see it happening.

And offensively he may be as talented as Huberdeau (or more so) at the same age, but does that put him above some players that are better all around with slightly less of an offensive game? I'm mean Lindholm is better than Backstrom in the SEL at the same age and he has that better all around game.

Old
11-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkebr View Post
half of them would be eligible again next year. Nice dream team but the 93's must have their day with HC.
If I were HC I'd be quick to get rid of the 93s as there are very few stars in there aside from RNH and 1 or two others... The quicker we can get on to the 95s the better, a much more offensively gifted group reminiscent of the 1985 players.

The first two lines are 93s...there's your experienced leadership with skill + talent...

94s and 95s making up the rest of the list, less experienced but uber-skilled...

Old
11-22-2012, 11:04 AM
Leehh

Quote:
I'm not saying Barkov will drop out of the Top 3 and Drouin rises to # 3, but take anything Button has to say with a grain of salt. The guy is an absolutely terrible evaluator of talent and his record as a NHL GM proves that, his record of drafting proves that.
Well, it's not all about his ability to evaluate prospects. Them top notch scouts does share their lists with Button, so for now Button's list is like one of the most reliable public list there is out.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 250
Strengths:

Best hands in the 2013 draft
Elite vision and playmaking
Good skater; shifty along the boards
Excellent in breakaway/shootout situations

Needs to Improve:

Defensive zone awareness
Giving his defensemen an easy outlet on the break out

I would think Drouin will go anywhere from 4-7 in the draft.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leehh View Post
Well, it's not all about his ability to evaluate prospects. Them top notch scouts does share their lists with Button, so for now Button's list is like one of the most reliable public list there is out.
Again, I'm not making any predictions! I have yet to see Barkov play. But if Drouin continues on this pace all year, 2.23 PPG average, then he's in the conversation as a legitimate TOP 3 pick.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:43 AM
Leehh

Quote:
Again, I'm not making any predictions! I have yet to see Barkov play. But if Drouin continues on this pace all year, 2.23 PPG average, then he's in the conversation as a legitimate TOP 3 pick.
Hopefully we'll see how they match against in Ufa this dec, so you will also get some insight on Barkov.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:43 AM
TheBeastCoast

The fact that Drouin probably won't go top 3 really just tells you how deep this draft is, any other draft he is a lock for top 3. With this draft though looking at probably 5-6 players that have top 3 pick potential, just means there will be some incredibley lucky teams picking in the top 10 of this draft. Players like Linholm,Monahan, and Drouin would usually be top 3 picks in any given draft imo doesn't mean any less on there part.

Old
11-22-2012, 12:05 PM
NS Bluenoser

And to think 1 year ago, he was playing AAA at this time.

Old
11-23-2012, 07:09 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Already 2 assists tonight. 40 pts in 18 games. Just 3 shy from the Q leading scorers. MacKinnon now with 42 pts, 1 pt behind Josh Currie and Ben Duffy.

Old
11-23-2012, 07:11 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Yawn, just another day at the office with a multi point game.

Old
11-23-2012, 07:15 PM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Watching the game on TV now. Drouin is just crazy good with the puck. Making some ridiculous plays. I really think he'll contend for #1.

Old
11-23-2012, 07:27 PM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
Watching the game on TV now. Drouin is just crazy good with the puck. Making some ridiculous plays. I really think he'll contend for #1.
I agree 100%... but I think any GM takes Nate anyways due to the hype. Whether Jones, Barkov, Monahan, Drouin or anyone may turn out to be better.. Nathan is Nathan, the media has focused on him so much. The fans adore him and want him to play for their team and the GMs know this. I think you have to take Nate 1st regardless of the best player available, which he most likely is, or reeeeeaaaaallllly risk losing fans and possible sales. No doubt in my mind that MacKinnon jerseys are gonna sell out within a week of being put out. Not worth the risk.

Old
11-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post
I agree 100%... but I think any GM takes Nate anyways due to the hype. Whether Jones, Barkov, Monahan, Drouin or anyone may turn out to be better.. Nathan is Nathan, the media has focused on him so much. The fans adore him and want him to play for their team and the GMs know this. I think you have to take Nate 1st regardless of the best player available, which he most likely is, or reeeeeaaaaallllly risk losing fans and possible sales. No doubt in my mind that MacKinnon jerseys are gonna sell out within a week of being put out. Not worth the risk.
I agree to an extent. It's honestly only November, and Drouin is putting up ridiculous numbers. If he continues like this and into the playoffs his hype will grow too.

Side bar question. Is Mackinnon getting a lot of hype all around the country? I live in Halifax so it's normal to me, but is it all across Canada in general?

Old
11-23-2012, 07:45 PM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

vCash: 50
Quote:
I agree to an extent. It's honestly only November, and Drouin is putting up ridiculous numbers. If he continues like this and into the playoffs his hype will grow too.

Side bar question. Is Mackinnon getting a lot of hype all around the country? I live in Halifax so it's normal to me, but is it all across Canada in general?
Im not sure. I too am a Haligonian, so like you, I get use to seeing his face on the cover of the Metro and the CH. Its because of this team that I dont miss the NHL ONE BIT. Id assume he gets talked about in other places, but not like it is here.. Id imagine the cities with OHL teams talk most about McDavid, even if he isnt eligible until 15.. and out West theyd talk Jones. Heck, I had family just outside of Pittsburgh back when Crosby was drafted and they had NO IDEA who he was!!

While Drouins hype will most likely grow, I dont think it will pass the whole next Crosby. To me, thats a BIG factor as to why hes been slated to go #1 and why fans love him so much. I like Drouin more myself, as does the rest of my family. To me, MacKinnon tries to do a bit too much with the puck.. almost like Marchand did when he played here. Granted, Nate is already a better player than Brad is, but still.. he seems too showey for my liking. Many disagree, but I stand by my opinion.

Old
11-23-2012, 10:06 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
I really don't think he will. Lots of nice toe drags and dipsy-doodles on the Drouin highlight reel again tonight, but again, tonight, MacKinnon walks away as the 1st star of the game, and he really was. Like, not even close. Not to take away from Drouin, btw, as much as trying to explain (as an observer who doesn't have to rely on box scores) exactly how different two guys can look while putting up similar points in the same game.

Old
11-23-2012, 10:14 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post
To me, MacKinnon tries to do a bit too much with the puck.. almost like Marchand did when he played here. Granted, Nate is already a better player than Brad is, but still.. he seems too showey for my liking. Many disagree, but I stand by my opinion.
Totally valid observation and opinion, first off. But realize, this is the level where these guys get to test their limits with a bit of risky play before scrutiny and the weight of 100s of millions of dollars affects their in-game decision-making. Nate does go for a lot of 1-on-1 plays when maybe he doesn't have to, but even his unsuccessful attempts usually result in some kind of scramble or chaos (definitely pucks deep in the opponent end at the very least), because he is just that strong/good at fighting for the puck. If you watch him enough, you see that most of the time he just takes the open ice that opponents give him, and it's up to who can keep up through the neutral zone. If he's left in an isolated 1-on-1, he goes straight at the net almost every time, and I can't blame him.

I mean, it's not like he also isn't one of the best set-up men on the team. That tic-tac-toe play from Drouin to him to Frk was just classic MacKinnon split-second, puck on the stick - off the stick in a split second, right on the tape, no-look set up. Good set up on the earlier Fournier goal, too. Basically, when you see how many times he successfully dissects the defense to set up goals for teammates, it's hard to rag on him for going "outside the box" on a few 1-on-1s.

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 11-23-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old
12-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Reesor01

Drouin's hands vs Chicoutimi last night. 1st part of the highlight pack:

Made Asselin, Hudon and Sedlak look foolish.

Last edited by Reesor01: 12-01-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old
12-01-2012, 11:44 AM
SevenOfSpades
SkinnyOneOnTheRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesor01 View Post
Drouin's hands vs Chicoutimi last night. 1st part of the highlight pack:

Made Asselin, Hudon and Sedlak look foolish.
Just put the video code (A9EFSZ8lu78) between [YT] tags to embed.

Old
12-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Reesor01

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenOfSpades View Post
Just put the video code (A9EFSZ8lu78) between [YT] tags to embed.
Got it. Thanks!

Old
12-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Breakfast of Champs

Those are some pretty nice moves in the video, but aside from that his performance wasn't the best last night.

There have been multiple nights where he makes moves like that every shift.

Old
12-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Teamwork

Drouin would look so nice wearing "La Sainte Flanelle"

Old
12-01-2012, 04:10 PM
The Beyonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamwork View Post
Drouin would look so nice wearing "La Sainte Flanelle"
Coming from a leaf fans, I think Montreal would be a great fit for him. He'd look good with gally.

Old
12-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Alberta tough

It looks like he has been trained in Russia with those moves.Reminds me of Datsyuk.

Closed Thread