HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ralph Krueger

Old
12-01-2012, 12:13 PM
4040tee

vCash: 500
Ralph Krueger

Last Krueger thread got wayyy off topic.

Does anyone know what we can expect from Krueger based on his history?
From what I remember from the swiss olympic team, we can expect a great defensive system.

4040tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

I think we'll see a more defensively responsible team.
I think we'll see more players "buying in" and actually busting ass. He has said he sent his two best players home from the Olympics in 02 (or 06?) because they weren't taking anything seriously and were detracting from the team effort. If that's the case I think we can expect ice time to be earned and not grandfathered out.
Kreuger ran a good PP but he had a great set of tools to work with. It's TOO BAD WE'RE EFFING LOCKED OUT though, so we don't get to find out.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 12:23 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
I think we'll see a committed team that plays responsibly in their own zone (eventually) and a strong puck possession game in the opposition's zone (eventually).

It will take some time though and a little more talent on the blue line. The addition of Schultz will help speed things along.

Krueger was the right hire.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 12:33 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

I think we will see a better defensive system but with the weapons Krueger has at his disposal we will not be a defensive team.
There will be more accountability from everyone on the team and I would expect Krueger to name Taylor Hall as captain sooner rather than later.
I expect Krueger to attach more importance to the BOA games than we saw under Renney, for me the game Ralph coached against Calgary last year was a glimpse of the future.

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Qrispy

Defensive? Did no one see the contrast in systems when Krueger took over for Renney? It was a lot more offensive. Hell, we saw Smid and Schultz pinch and jump up in the rush a lot more under Krueger.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:21 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
Defensive? Did no one see the contrast in systems when Krueger took over for Renney? It was a lot more offensive. Hell, we saw Smid and Schultz pinch and jump up in the rush a lot more under Krueger.
Ya I agree. The thing that stands out the most for me, is his ability to adapt. He doesn't just try and stay with a set system, he tweaks things to suit the team's strengths

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:40 PM
MessierII

Players used properly

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 03:45 PM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Players used properly
What a novel concept to see from a coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
I think Krueger looks at his roster and sees all the young talent dripping with offence and will build a game plan based on that. Contrast to his time with the Swiss team lacking talent, he really relied on solid defensive structure to stifle even the mighty Team Canada.

Whenever this dumb lockout is resolved, we could be in for some exciting hockey using our players correctly... finally!

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 04:00 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

I think we'll see a lot of the same crap that we saw over the last two years with Renney.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Oilception

Everyone saying we should expect a defensive system because of what we saw from him and the Swiss, I would dis agree. He used that system because he needed to with that team, not a ton o offensive talent. He uses te system that suits the team, which for us in my opinion will be offensive. Not saying he won't make people accountable on defense just that he will use the system that's best for the team

Oilception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 04:28 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
I think we'll see a lot of the same crap that we saw over the last two years with Renney.
Genuinely interested as to why this you think this. I found the games that Krueger coached very encouraging.

I'm expecting the leashes for Hordi and Eager to be much longer too.

Old
12-01-2012, 04:38 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
It definatley doesn't just magically disappear when a team changes the coach but the big thing will be who gets held accountable and how the accountability transpires.

I think if the coach wants the team to play big boy hockey he should not handle them with kids gloves any longer.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
Genuinely interested as to why this you think this. I found the games that Krueger coached very encouraging.

I'm expecting the leashes for Hordi and Eager to be much longer too.
Eager still for some reason getting benefit of doubt I see.

Really have no idea why anybody would specifically blame this sack of **** on coaching.

Eager has always been inconsistent, hard to manage, indifferent and the only time he does anything physical is when HE is pissed off.

I like Krueger, but nobody is going to get much different out of Eager. Ben wouldn't last 10games on a Scotty Bowman coached club. Get rid of the tool.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Don't get how you can love Torres but hate Eager.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 06:09 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Eager still for some reason getting benefit of doubt I see.

Really have no idea why anybody would specifically blame this sack of **** on coaching.

Eager has always been inconsistent, hard to manage, indifferent and the only time he does anything physical is when HE is pissed off.

I like Krueger, but nobody is going to get much different out of Eager. Ben wouldn't last 10games on a Scotty Bowman coached club. Get rid of the tool.
Let's not turn this into another Eager bashing thread. Your views on Eager are noted.
In my post you could substitute the names of any enforcer/tough guy that the Oilers may replace Eager and Hordi with. My point still stands however, Renney's coaching style just limits the effectiveness of that type of player. I'm hoping that Krueger will hold opponents accountable for their actions and I think he will.
It is my belief that Krueger will turn some heads around the league when it comes to getting the best out of players. I am not giving Eager a pass here but giving krueger the chance to turn Eager around.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Bergeron47

Would it be fair to say Krueger has a Hitchcock style of coaching? If so, I'd be smitten.

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 07:15 PM
smokersarejokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
It definatley doesn't just magically disappear when a team changes the coach but the big thing will be who gets held accountable and how the accountability transpires.

I think if the coach wants the team to play big boy hockey he should not handle them with kids gloves any longer.
Yeah, accountability is key with Krueger. If you're not producing, you're going to hear about it. It doesn't matter if you're Smyth, Hemsky, Eberle, Petrell, Eager, etc. No free passes.

It's already been mentioned, but he's said numerous times that he's OK with guys like Eager and Hordichuk taking a penalty if it reins in the other team's turkeys.

I remember reading a story where he kicked a bunch of Switzerland's best players off the team because they weren't buying into his program.

He's also said that he coached defensively for the Swiss team because that was the only way they'd beat Canada, Sweden, Russia, USA, etc. He's also coached very offensive minded teams in Europe in the past. I'm pretty sure he said that he'll coach to his players' strengths, and he realizes that the Oilers strengths going forward will be speed and skill.

I'm pretty excited to see him lead this team. Steve Smith too. Still not sold on Buchburger though.

smokersarejokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

It's good to read about Krueger sending back his two best players because they weren't taking it seriously. My only concern with Krueger was that he might be a little bit too nice. Simply because he is so well-spoken and really seems like a very nice person, but it looks like he knows when to lay down the law. Very good to see.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
It's ok to be a coke head who tries to end careers.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 09:11 PM
ejams

Quote:
Originally Posted by President Van Buren View Post
Yes Eager sucks in this regard. He is a LOSER!

ejams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 09:14 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by President Van Buren View Post
As long as its not junior hockey fighting.

That's just disgusting.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 09:32 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Eager played 8.5 minutes a game with crappy linemates and was basically lost at sea out there as to what role he was supposed to be playing. He still put up decent 4th line numbers considering all that... 8 goals in 63 games and a -1 rating... not bad on a crappy team.

Basically I don't think he could have been used less productively by the coach as he was last season and out of all the 3rd/4th liners on the Oilers I'm actually expecting him to have a large improvement over his performance last year.

I think 15 goals while being a **** disturber that's very hard to play against is within his reach... it's just up to coach Krueger to get that out of him and I'm betting he does it.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
One player is a useful open ice hitter that causes opponents trepidation whenever he's on the ice. I'd far rather have him on my team. He can also knock in 20goals without primo minutes.

The other is a completely useless **** without any contribution whatsoever.

Eager hardly hits, rarely fights, and isn't particularly talented. Whats he here for?

Ben Eager has been a useless waste of space his entire career. Not sure why people think another coach is going to resurrect some kind of game in him.

Torres, twice as many goals, twice as many hits. Yeah I have no idea why I prefer one over the other..

Last edited by Replacement: 12-01-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old
12-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
Let's not turn this into another Eager bashing thread. Your views on Eager are noted.
In my post you could substitute the names of any enforcer/tough guy that the Oilers may replace Eager and Hordi with. My point still stands however, Renney's coaching style just limits the effectiveness of that type of player. I'm hoping that Krueger will hold opponents accountable for their actions and I think he will.
It is my belief that Krueger will turn some heads around the league when it comes to getting the best out of players. I am not giving Eager a pass here but giving krueger the chance to turn Eager around.
The point is clear, and it seems as if you missed it, that Eager is completely useless. No coach is going to change that.

Note that Hordichuk, with a fraction of the minutes Eager got had more hits, fights, and impacted meaningfully during his toi. Eager did next to nothing with his.

Old
12-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Bergeron47

Wow, didn't realize until looking him up in hockeydb, his career high is 17 points in his 7 seasons. For some reason I thought he was a 25-30 point guy.

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote