HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2012-2013 Official BST Discussion Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2012, 10:45 AM
NYI78

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post
In that limited time (3 games) he was much more focused than hamonic. Poised player...

Now i am not sold that donovan isnt outperforming hammer, who seems outta his element in the offensive zone.
my opinions i have on dehaan are based on the games he played last season..not the small sample size of this year...honestly..hammer looks bored..i think he'll be like this throughout the year and turn it up during the playoffs

Old
11-30-2012, 11:02 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
my opinions i have on dehaan are based on the games he played last season..not the small sample size of this year...honestly..hammer looks bored..i think he'll be like this throughout the year and turn it up during the playoffs
I know you see a lot of BPT games and I respect your opinion. I like deHaan and think he'll be an NHL player for a long time but let's not pretend that he's proven anything at the AHL level just yet. It's not like he's outgrown the league. He's till young and has a lot of NHL tools. Based solely on his skating, poise and hockey instincts, he'll be an NHL player.

Hammer's got nothing to prove. He should just stay healthy and not try and do too much, work on his offense, etc.

Same for players in Europe (Grabner, Nielsen, Tavares, Joensuu, MacDonald, Streit, Visnovsky, others I've missed)

Though Grabner should practice breakaways

Old
11-30-2012, 11:31 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I know you see a lot of BPT games and I respect your opinion. I like deHaan and think he'll be an NHL player for a long time but let's not pretend that he's proven anything at the AHL level just yet. It's not like he's outgrown the league. He's till young and has a lot of NHL tools. Based solely on his skating, poise and hockey instincts, he'll be an NHL player.

Hammer's got nothing to prove. He should just stay healthy and not try and do too much, work on his offense, etc.

Same for players in Europe (Grabner, Nielsen, Tavares, Joensuu, MacDonald, Streit, Visnovsky, others I've missed)

Though Grabner should practice breakaways
i'm not pretending anything..i'm just saying he was the most consistent dman on the team last season in his own end..thats all i'm saying

Old
11-30-2012, 11:51 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
i'm not pretending anything..i'm just saying he was the most consistent dman on the team last season in his own end..thats all i'm saying
sorry, quoted the wrong person, I meant this as a response to Isles Enforcer, not you.
----
Cizikas back in the lineup tonight for Bridgeport. Nilsson in net. Getting outshot badly but it's early.

Last edited by redbull: 11-30-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old
11-30-2012, 08:42 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Tonight's game is over and Bridgeport has lost their fourth game in a row losing in Hershey 5-2. The wheels came off in the third period allowing 3 goals and an empty netter to seal the deal.

-Nilsson was in net tonight making 27 saves on 32 shots.

-A lot of penalties tonight for B'port and not a lot of power play time. 8 penalties leading to 7 penalty kills while Hershey only committed 3 penalties leading to 2 power plays.

-First goal of the game came from Johan Sundstrom at 5:50 in the second period with assists from Persson and Donovan.

-B'ports only other tally came from Jordan Hill at 6:48 in the 3rd, with the lone assist going to Colin Macdonald.

-Aaron Ness, Jon Landry and Casey Cizikas were all -3.

-Travis Hamonic was a +2. Donovan and Sundstrom were the only others above 0 with +1.

I didn't watch or listen to the game I just followed closely on the Sound Tigers twitter feed. I just appears looking at the box score that this was just another sloppy game from the kids who have been really struggling lately. I guess the long bright spot from the game was Casey Cizikas finally returning to the lineup.

Old
12-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Jester9881

Last night was ugly.... some awful penalties, and a lot more turnovers that were even worse.

Cizikas was back, but he looked very rusty.... he had a back breaking giveaway from behind the BP net that ended up turning into a goal.

Ullstrom left the game in the 3rd, not sure of his status.

Nilsson was solid

Nelson and Nino continue to struggle a little, though I'm starting to think it might have something to do with Colin MacDonald. He's seemed to get in the way more than contribute to the offensive flow on that line the last few games. JMHO

Jordan Hill had a sweet goal, making a power move off the half boards and cutting to the middle, he made a nice snipe to tie the game.

Old
12-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Really? Pronman begs to differ.

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1352

July 19, 2012
The Good: De Haan started off the year with some struggles adjusting to the pro level, but by the end of the season he regularly looked like Bridgeport's best defenseman. He has high-end hockey sense on offense and defense and really stands out with his poise and reads on and off the puck. De Haan is a very effective outlet passer who moves the puck around fine on the power play, and a player scout said this year that he "got a lot of third assists." De Haan shows the ability to excel as a tough minutes shutdown defenseman who can also put up a fair amount of points.
Well that's his opinion and I have mine. I mean as a STH I watched him play every game (that he actually played in) and Donovan was still better than he was. And seriously, are we rating a guy who played THREE games this year? Really?

Again, Im not saying he wont develop into something special but right now I'm not seeing it...

Old
12-01-2012, 11:41 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Enforcer View Post
Well that's his opinion and I have mine. I mean as a STH I watched him play every game (that he actually played in) and Donovan was still better than he was. And seriously, are we rating a guy who played THREE games this year? Really?

Again, Im not saying he wont develop into something special but right now I'm not seeing it...
Pronman is not making his De Haan report based on the 2012-2013 season. He is talking about how De Haan played during the 2011-2012 AHL season.

In the Sound Tigers 2012-2013 game thread, I have a few early season posts, praising De Haan's steady play and asking what's wrong with Donovan. In one game, I had to ask if Donovan was playing( he was, but was basically such a nonfactor, he might as well have been a healthy scratch).

Old
12-01-2012, 11:43 AM
StrongIslanders90

Jordan Hill? his stats early are impressive offensivly. Whats up does he look like a gamer or what?

Old
12-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Jordan Hill is an able body and that's it.

Landry just scored on a bomb of a slapper.

Old
12-01-2012, 06:39 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Nate McIver throwing bombs as usual. Love this guy. No chance in the NHL but man does he lay it down for his teammates.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

McDonald with a nice pass to Nino who one-times it in the slot while on the move.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:20 PM
JKP

From Elliotte Friedman's 30 things blog on HNIC:

24. NHL teams would love the option of sending junior-aged players to the AHL, a battle they have lost to the CHL so far. Ryan Johansen and Nino Niederreiter are the latest examples. Both are taking big steps this season.

25. Another New York Islander getting good reviews is Travis Hamonic. "A beast," said one scout. I mentioned this last year, but a couple of teammates said he just had to understand how good he is. Sounds like he's figuring it out.

Old
12-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
The losing streak continues tonight with the boys losing in a shootout at home against Worcester Sharks.

-Poulin made 30 saves on 33 shots and gave up 2 of three on the shootout.

- Landry (4th of the season) put B'port on the board first with an assist from Cizikas.

- Nino got back on the scoring sheet today with a goal (10-10-20 in 19gp) assisted by Mcdonald and Hamonic. Nino was tonights second star of the game and is 9th in scoring overall.

- Brock Nelson also got back on the board tonight tying the game up late in the third period on a power play goal assisted by Nino. Nelson is now 9th in scoring for AHL rookies with a 8-7-15 line.

Apparently there was a pretty nice brawl that went down in the second period involving Brennan and Livingston of Worcester and Gallant, Riley and Persson of Bridgeport. I'm thinking about making the trip up to B'port tomorrow for their game against Norfolk hopefully the kids can break the streak.

Old
12-01-2012, 09:36 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

I'm going tomorrow. My hockey withdrawl is getting worse so I figured I'd make the trip. Hopefully my bad luck will negate Bridgeport's bad luck and they can get a DUBYA.

Old
12-02-2012, 09:31 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
From Elliotte Friedman's 30 things blog on HNIC:

25. Another New York Islander getting good reviews is Travis Hamonic. "A beast," said one scout. I mentioned this last year, but a couple of teammates said he just had to understand how good he is. Sounds like he's figuring it out.[/I]
Great to see Hamonic getting props from that scout.
Habs fans have gotten pissy a few times when debating Subban and Hamonic's value,impact and next contracts

Old
12-02-2012, 10:30 PM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

vCash: 50
BST are starting to remind me of the Islanders.

What happened (or didn't happen) today?

Old
12-03-2012, 06:28 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulin 0n My St1ck View Post
BST are starting to remind me of the Islanders.

What happened (or didn't happen) today?
I was at the game. It was definitely ugly.

I don't know if it's been mentioned anywhere on this board but Hamonic left in the early 2nd period after being checked into the boards by _____ Mitchell of Norfolk. I didn't see the hit, I heard it, but when I looked over it appeared as if Hamonic was unconcious for a few seconds. He slowly got up and was helped to the locker room. Not sure just how serious it is, but I imagine it can't be too good.

As far as the rest of the game, it was just sloppy overall. I thought Nino actually looked really good. Was creating a lot of offense. Nelson was OK I thought. He had the goal but other than that I just rarely noticed him. Donovan looked pretty good. I honestly thought Ness was Bridgeport's best defenseman last night. Kid was calm and poised with the puck. Rarely made a mistake. Doesn't get pushed around as much as you'd think a kid with his size would.

Landry was terrible. I forgot who it was on here that was trashing him, but he/she was right. He got beat a lot defensively, but they used him on the PP as well where he looked like a liability. Maybe he took Hamonic's spot as an emergency fill-in? I'm not sure. Either way, he looked pretty bad. Then again, most of the team looked pretty bad as well.

Any update on Hamonic though would be appreciated.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:27 AM
Islanderfan17

Sheesh, Bridgeport is falling apart. Let's hope that turns around and turns around fast.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:29 AM
StumpNYI

November/December is not kind to this organization.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:22 AM
warrior60

They had nelson centering cizikas and mcdonald in the second and third period, and they looked very good together, they were by far the best line on the ice, like to see them together and see if they can get some of the scoring back that they had at the first month of the season.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:54 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I was at the game. It was definitely ugly.

I don't know if it's been mentioned anywhere on this board but Hamonic left in the early 2nd period after being checked into the boards by _____ Mitchell of Norfolk. I didn't see the hit, I heard it, but when I looked over it appeared as if Hamonic was unconcious for a few seconds. He slowly got up and was helped to the locker room. Not sure just how serious it is, but I imagine it can't be too good.

As far as the rest of the game, it was just sloppy overall. I thought Nino actually looked really good. Was creating a lot of offense. Nelson was OK I thought. He had the goal but other than that I just rarely noticed him. Donovan looked pretty good. I honestly thought Ness was Bridgeport's best defenseman last night. Kid was calm and poised with the puck. Rarely made a mistake. Doesn't get pushed around as much as you'd think a kid with his size would.

Landry was terrible. I forgot who it was on here that was trashing him, but he/she was right. He got beat a lot defensively, but they used him on the PP as well where he looked like a liability. Maybe he took Hamonic's spot as an emergency fill-in? I'm not sure. Either way, he looked pretty bad. Then again, most of the team looked pretty bad as well.

Any update on Hamonic though would be appreciated.
the hit on hammer was clean..i don't like the fact that he got run and nino was being harrassed and no body did anything about it. they looked lost on defense and on the pk. landry is beyond bad and i respectively disagree with your opinion on ness. he is constantly out of postiion and is on the pk but can not move any one because of his size. they is good on offensive but landry and ness are huge liabilites

Old
12-03-2012, 11:34 AM
scott99

I'm actually pleased with Nelson, Nino and the Swede line. I'm a little worried about our goaltending. I was hoping Poulin/Nilsson (Nilsson/Poulin ?) would be our starting goalies on the Isle for 2013-14. I figured Nabakov would start 2012/2013 as our starter and get traded at the deadline. Now if there is no season, he'll be gone in 2013 anyway. They haven't been as good as last season.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I'm actually pleased with Nelson, Nino and the Swede line. I'm a little worried about our goaltending. I was hoping Poulin/Nilsson (Nilsson/Poulin ?) would be our starting goalies on the Isle for 2013-14. I figured Nabakov would start 2012/2013 as our starter and get traded at the deadline. Now if there is no season, he'll be gone in 2013 anyway. They haven't been as good as last season.
I agree, I'm very disappointed with the goalies so far, especially Poulin.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:58 PM
seafoam

vCash: 70
They seem very adamant on keeping Nelson as a center. They even moved Cizikas, who I always thought was a true center, to the wing of Nelson.

Closed Thread