HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Alex Galchenyuk - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2012 draft) (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2012, 08:31 PM
topchowda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I wonder, if Galchenyuk had this season last year instead of being injured would he have gone 1st overall?
Yakupov dominated on his own. If Galyenchuk was his center he would have put up much higher numbers as a result .He was at about 2 ppg before injury, with was a CHL record, he could have been around 2.4-2.5 with Galyenchuk. Yakupov would have forsure benefited from Galy playing and his #1 draft pedigree would have been higher and people would be calling him the next crosby (they were call him the next big thing even without Galy)

Ofcourse Galyenchuk would have benefited from playing with Yakupov and probaly would have gaven him a run for his money. But you have to take into account what Yakupovs point totals would have increased by too.
Also if your back dating a players current point totals to the previous year then it can be held that you could take Yakupovs KHL production into account. Since he is putting up better numbers as a rookie then OVY or any russian he would have maintained his #1 spot

Galyenchuk is a special player tho

Last edited by topchowda: 12-01-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old
12-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Oilin Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardish View Post
IMO, 100% sure Galchenyuk goes first overall with those numbers. No question about it. But would it have been possible for Galchenyuk to put up those kind of numbers last year? Hard to tell, probably not.
IMO, I'm a 100% sure you are in HOMER land if you think he would have gone 1st overall!!!!

Old
12-01-2012, 08:37 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Yakupov dominated on his own. If Galyenchuk was his center he would have put up much higher numbers as a result .He was at about 2 ppg before injury, with was a CHL record, he could have been around 2.4-2.5 with Galyenchuk. Yakupov would have forsure benefited from Galy playing and his #1 draft pedigree would have been higher and people would be calling him the next crosby (they were call him the next big thing even without Galy)

Ofcourse Galyenchuk would have benefited from playing with Yakupov and probaly would have gaven him a run for his money. But you have to take into account what Yakupovs point totals would have increased by too.

I'm also inclined to think that Yakupov would have even greater totals than last year, and that he still would have been considered #1 overall. Gally might then have been considered the de facto #2 pick.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:40 PM
sharks9

4 points tonight! He's tearing it up right now!

I'm going to be so conflicted when I watch Canada vs. USA in the WJC

Old
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
I'm also inclined to think that Yakupov would have even greater totals than last year, and that he still would have been considered #1 overall. Gally might then have been considered the de facto #2 pick.
But yakupov was almost a 2011 elligible player does anyone take this in consideration?

Old
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
I think it might have been like a Hall/Sequin debate where Gally gets considered for #1 because hes a center but Yakupov remains the better player (this is all speculation, well never know, to bad tho)

Old
12-01-2012, 08:42 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Impact FC View Post
But yakupov was almost a 2011 elligible player does anyone take this in consideration?
same development years, birthdate doesnt really have an impact unless it affects development years

Old
12-01-2012, 08:42 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post

Easy choice. Country over club

Old
12-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:

You shouldn't be. Because RNH and Huberdeau are going to have fun dangling through every team.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:55 PM
reffree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
We're talking about major junior..not NHL.
We're talking about two major junior who are on fire on the same line. Nobody said Sarrault was a better NHL prospect so people should calm down.

Old
12-01-2012, 09:11 PM
WolfgangAmadeusEller*

Thank you Columbus, thank you Edmonton.

Old
12-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mind View Post
Thank you Columbus, thank you Edmonton.
Galchenyuk is a steal at #3. I don't understand how Columbus can pass him up. They desperately need offensive power in front. At that time, Nash rumors were getting even more realistic and he did eventually got traded for absolutely nothing..now they have to rely on who? Dubinsky? Johansen? Brassard? Jenner?

Old
12-01-2012, 09:20 PM
theboss*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilin Toronto View Post
IMO, I'm a 100% sure you are in HOMER land if you think he would have gone 1st overall!!!!
Yet if gally was a laugh you probably would say the same thing

Old
12-01-2012, 09:25 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post

Also if your back dating a players current point totals to the previous year then it can be held that you could take Yakupovs KHL production into account. Since he is putting up better numbers as a rookie then OVY or any russian he would have maintained his #1 spot

Similarly, you have to wonder what Galy's numbers would have been like had he had Yakupov to feed the puck to. Galy is almost singlehandedly creating offense for Sarnia and is turning average players into point-producers (Sarrault / Boucher etc.).

We will never know how the draft rankings would have changed (if any) had Galy been healthy last season. But there is no mistaking that he is a special player.

Old
12-01-2012, 09:33 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
Similarly, you have to wonder what Galy's numbers would have been like had he had Yakupov to feed the puck to. Galy is almost singlehandedly creating offense for Sarnia and is turning average players into point-producers (Sarrault / Boucher etc.).

We will never know how the draft rankings would have changed (if any) had Galy been healthy last season. But there is no mistaking that he is a special player.
I referenced that scenerio to, they both would have benefited. The argument then would have been who makes who better. And last year it was apparent Yakupov can produce on his own, and this year its the same for Galy. So it benefited the Oilers to get a clear picture of what Yakupov can do individually, and its doing the same for MTL fans

Old
12-01-2012, 09:33 PM
reffree

Quote:

That's where I have problem with habs fan.

Sarrault and Boucher are not average CHLer. Boucher is in almost every virtual lineup for the US at the WJC and Sarrault finish 7th in the OHL scoring race last year ... Doesn't means Gally isn't the best pro prospect of the three, because he is and by far, but he isn't doing it all by himself like some are saying.

Old
12-01-2012, 09:39 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reffree View Post

Sarrault and Boucher are not average CHLer. Boucher is in almost every virtual lineup for the US at the WJC and Sarrault finish 7th in the OHL scoring race last year ... Doesn't means Gally isn't the best pro prospect of the three, because he is and by far, but he isn't doing it all by himself like some are saying.
If you watch the Sting play you can clearly see that Galy is the motor behind the entire team. He is the reason why Sarrault / Boucher are in the OHL top-30. Sarrault in particular feeds off Galy. Boucher i have been impressed with over the past month and a half as he has been creating offense.

Old
12-01-2012, 09:43 PM
That

Quote:

I don't mean to nitpick, but Sarault and Boucher are NOT average players.

Sarault is one of the best playmakers in the OHL and he has a solid two-way game. Boucher is a solid sniper who has a great nose for the net and protects the puck well. He has a legitimate chance of being a good goal scorer in the NHL.

If you're just looking at tonight's game though you'd never know it. Even though Sarault and Boucher combined for 6 points, they were invisible for the most part.

Galchenyuk is certainly the motor behind the team, but Sarnia really isn't as bad as most Habs fans think they are.

Last edited by That: 12-01-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old
12-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:

He's not taking a couple of Zach Stortinies and turning them into top OHL players. He's helping to elevate good players to be better players.

The fact that Sarault and Boucher actually have talent to finish helps Galchenyuk, too.

Old
12-01-2012, 09:48 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:

Yeah, sometimes it's possible to diminish players' overall contributions to make another look better. Sarault is quite a good player, and gets dismissed because he's an overager. As for Boucher, I don't know. It's great that Galchenyuk can play with someone who is a goal scorer, but I wouldn't consider Boucher to be a 'great' player in his own right. I think he heavily depends on Galchenyuk who creates/sees opportunities and has the ability to get him the puck from pretty unlikely places.

Old
12-01-2012, 09:51 PM
reffree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
He's not taking a couple of Zach Stortinies and turning them into top OHL players. He's helping to elevate good players to be better players.

The fact that Sarault and Boucher actually have talent to finish helps Galchenyuk, too.
I agree with that

Old
12-01-2012, 10:18 PM
Boardish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilin Toronto View Post
Pretty sure he would have gone first overall if he had put up the same numbers as this year (1,78PPG), as it would mean he would have put up better numbers than Yakupov, while easily being a better 2 way player.

I'm not saying it would have been possible though. Pretty sure Galchenyuk wouldn't have been able to do 1,78PPG last year. That's what I said. But of course you don't know that, since it seems like you can't read clearly.

Old
12-01-2012, 10:21 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
Easy choice. Country over club
I guess I'll have to hope for Canada over US in the finals with Gally getting the tournament MVP.

Old
12-01-2012, 10:30 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
I guess I'll have to hope for Canada over US in the finals with Gally getting the tournament MVP.
Definitely country over NHL club. On a slightl tangent, I find it unfortunate that sometimes it appears players become more loyal to their club than to their native country (as a Canadian, I guess I'm referring to some Canadian players).

Old
12-01-2012, 11:22 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Galchenyuk is a steal at #3. I don't understand how Columbus can pass him up. They desperately need offensive power in front. At that time, Nash rumors were getting even more realistic and he did eventually got traded for absolutely nothing..now they have to rely on who? Dubinsky? Johansen? Brassard? Jenner?
Don't underestimate them and I am absolutely a HUGE fan of Galchenyuk. They need a solid defensemen more than anything as Moore hasn't moved as quickly as they wanted.