HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mika Zibanejad is the real deal.

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2012, 05:45 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 500
I'm still curious as to why the Sens had such a hate on for Couturier.

Looks like a few teams are going to regret passing on him.

Old
12-01-2012, 05:46 PM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Klefbom is a real argument I imagine. I wouldn't say Scheifele at this point.

It gets pretty tough to do this accurately when not only evaluating across leagues but evaluating across pro/amateur. Benefit of the doubt should go to the higher pick. This type of analysis is gonna be pretty volatile over the next several years.
This is true, and different players are at different stages in their development which will confuse us and most, but surely that's the case in draft years as well. However, it's safe to say that the Sens wouldn't have taken Ziba again if they could re-do it. Not because he isn't a good prospect, but because some others simply are better ones.

Old
12-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
Some one posted that BM would not trade Zbad, so I just was reminding him / her that he already tried to.
I have said Murray wouldn't trade Lehner, Stone, Zib or Silf because he was disappointed in their respective development curve.

I also believe the business model is about to change significantly since the Nash trade rumors. With the decrease in cap coupled with the damage to league revenues, the value of good young prospects is about to take a significant jump.

Teams will be even more reluctant to offer solid prospects for the potential of winning now that older established players might provide.

Old
12-01-2012, 06:55 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
This is true, and different players are at different stages in their development which will confuse us and most, but surely that's the case in draft years as well. However, it's safe to say that the Sens wouldn't have taken Ziba again if they could re-do it. Not because he isn't a good prospect, but because some others simply are better ones.
You really don't know this to be the case.

While GMs may hope a first round pick makes the jump to the NHL immediately, I doubt they are discouraged or sour on a player that doesn't.

GMs don't base their decisions on one season.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:00 PM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
You really don't know this to be the case.

While GMs may hope a first round pick makes the jump to the NHL immediately, I doubt they are discouraged or sour on a player that doesn't.

GMs don't base their decisions on one season.
I don't know what individual teams would do, that's why I said "some kind of guess of a general consensus" in the first post on the subject.

Sure, Ottawa may still like Zibanejad over some of the better-looking prospects. You are right on that.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:03 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Zibanejad was our "worst case scenario" pick. We got bumped to 6th and all the guys we wanted were gone.

How does nobody remember this?

Old
12-01-2012, 07:04 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Far from it. Ottawa liked Zibanejad due to his raw potential. He still has that raw potential and has shown glimpses of even more. With his tools and skillset, he has the tools to be the best player chosen from pick 6 onward.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:06 PM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Far from it. Ottawa liked Zibanejad due to his raw potential. He still has that raw potential and has shown glimpses of even more. With his tools and skillset, he has the tools to be the best player chosen from pick 6 onward.
There's no reason this is false even if they'd like Bärtschi, Couturier, Brodin, Klefbom, Scheifele, Hamilton or someone else in hindsight.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Quote:
There's no reason this is false even if they'd like Bärtschi, Couturier, Brodin, Klefbom, Scheifele, Hamilton or someone else in hindsight.
Agreed. From what we know now I think we would have gone another direction.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Ski
Calder Cup Champs

PSBSens ‏@PSBSens
At practice right now, zibanejad out last night and today due to upper body injury, will miss tomorrow's game as well #BSENS

Old
12-01-2012, 07:20 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
True. If I had to chose anyone besides Zibanejad I'd select Hamilton or Bartschi.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Zibanejad was our "worst case scenario" pick. We got bumped to 6th and all the guys we wanted were gone.

All the guys we wanted more than Zibanejad were gone. Yes.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:

The Sens could have picked first, but I doubt Murray was counting on it.

Since NJ displaced the Sens by one position by winning the lottery, the only players they might have drafted instead of Zib were Larsson or Strome.

I have no idea what the Isles would have done had Larsson been available, but my guess is they would have taken him leaving the Sens with Strome or Zib.

Again I have no idea who the Sens would have selected between these two guys, however I would give the edge to Zib.

So while you believe Zib was the worst case, I'm not sure the Murrays or Dorion agree with you.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:36 PM
jiggy35

Would you trade Zibanejad + Anderson for Reimer and Kadri? I'm a goalie and Anderson is my favorite goalie.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:37 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski View Post
PSBSens ‏@PSBSens
At practice right now, zibanejad out last night and today due to upper body injury, will miss tomorrow's game as well #BSENS
Upper body injury, meaning wisdom teeth extracted??

Old
12-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggy35 View Post
Would you trade Zibanejad + Anderson for Reimer and Kadri? I'm a goalie and Anderson is my favorite goalie.
I wouldn't, but thanks for offering

Old
12-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Upper body injury, meaning wisdom teeth extracted??
Headache, swelling. Y'know, upper body injury.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:46 PM
jiggy35

Quote:
I wouldn't, but thanks for offering
What about Reilly instead of Kadri then? I don't think Reilly will be that good.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Here is the official page from when we drafted Mika.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...tawa+zibanejad

Old
12-01-2012, 08:32 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggy35 View Post
You seem like a good kid and you're not trying to troll but that's absolutely horrific for the Senators. We are not moving both of those guys for anything on the Leafs. We'll obviously I'm over exaggerating but you get what I mean.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:59 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Quote:
The Sens could have picked first, but I doubt Murray was counting on it.

Since NJ displaced the Sens by one position by winning the lottery, the only players they might have drafted instead of Zib were Larsson or Strome.

I have no idea what the Isles would have done had Larsson been available, but my guess is they would have taken him leaving the Sens with Strome or Zib.

Again I have no idea who the Sens would have selected between these two guys, however I would give the edge to Zib.

So while you believe Zib was the worst case, I'm not sure the Murrays or Dorion agree with you.
It was Strome.

I think it was bdp that said they wanted him, and I do remember reading about the "worst case scenario" which is what happened.

I think people are projecting quite a bit here. All that is missing is the "We are surprised he was still available" comments.

Old
12-01-2012, 09:07 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
You seem like a good kid and you're not trying to troll but that's absolutely horrific for the Senators. We are not moving both of those guys for anything on the Leafs. We'll obviously I'm over exaggerating but you get what I mean.
A Leafs fan that doesn't think Rielly is going to be that good???

Of course he's trolling.

Old
12-01-2012, 10:05 PM
R2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
All the guys we wanted more than Zibanejad were gone. Yes.
I'm willing to bet that we had Hamilton higher than Zibanejad on our board - based on comments by Murray/Dorion last year. They implied they went with forwards instead of BPA and I wouldn't be surprised if they meant Zibanejad over Hamilton.

Old
12-01-2012, 10:07 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
It was Strome.

I think it was bdp that said they wanted him, and I do remember reading about the "worst case scenario" which is what happened.

I think people are projecting quite a bit here. All that is missing is the "We are surprised he was still available" comments.
If it was Strome then the Sens got lucky he was gone, I like Zib's game much better than Strome's.

Old
12-01-2012, 10:09 PM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

Quote:
I'm still curious as to why the Sens had such a hate on for Couturier.

Looks like a few teams are going to regret passing on him.
I was delighted to see Couturier available when we were going up to pick and thought for sure he'd be our guy. I don't mind Mika, though

Closed Thread