HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Kovalchuk most underated player in NHL?

Old
12-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Cheddabombs
Status Quo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalsrock View Post
Kovalchuk is not even captain of his own team. Anybody with decent leadership could be a captain on the devils considering the lack of competition for the captain position. Elias didn't even want the Captain and Kovalchuk was beat to it by Parise who hadn't been in the NHL for too long and who abandoned his team after being named captain the year before and making it too the stanley cup finals. So basically Kovalchuk has bad leadership qualities or he would be captain by now.
Im not sure if this was meant to be an insult... Parise being given the captaincy last year was not a snuff to Kovalchuk, Parise was just seen as a bigger leader. Rightfully so as well, he is a great leader and pours his heart out every game. The season isnt even on right now so how could you tell if Kovalchuk wont be the next captain? Parise was named captain right before the season started and just because he left doesnt mean there is a rush to name a new captain, especially with no season to play. Terrible argument against Kovalchuk...

Everyone knows how good he is, I have never seen him be underrated on these boards.

Cheddabombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 07:02 PM
Crabovski*

-Not as good a shooter as AO, but better puckhandler, skater, and smarter
-Not as good a puckhandler as Datsyuk, but better shooter (and nothing else cause Datsyuk is the best Russian)
-Not as smart as Malkin but a better shooter and skater
ba da boom
ba da bing

Crabovski* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Kensu

He isn't underrated, but him having a better shot then Ovechkin can be argued.

Kensu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 07:25 PM
NjDevsRR

I would say IK has the overall better shot arsenal due to his deadly accurate slapper but AO has the better wrister. So its a wash.

NjDevsRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 07:41 PM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipops View Post
he handles the puck better than Datysuk
I stopped reading after this line.in no universe is he a better puck handler then Datsyuk

Rangers4Life74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 07:48 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevsRR View Post
I would say IK has the overall better shot arsenal due to his deadly accurate slapper but AO has the better wrister. So its a wash.
I like Kovy's release a little better. I don't think it is a hard, but it is really quick and accurate. Harder to block in my opinion, he hides the puck well.

I actually think Semin has the best wrister of the Russians anyway.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 07:55 PM
TedenbysFrontTeeth
INFP

Kovalchuk is generally rated just fine. He's just been in two small markets that he doesn't get as much attention as other stars. Everyone knows he's elite though.

TedenbysFrontTeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 07:58 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiTzLaMia View Post
I still stick be Elias as being the most underrated.
Probably true. Elias is a star but gets very, very little recognition. Czech players (outside Jagr) usually get little hype for some reason.

As for Kovalchuk, well he's not underrated by any means imho. Not on HFboards at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCantHandleMyRiddumE
Kovalchuk is clearly the second best Russian player in the World and a current top 10 player.
Let me guess... ''Posts controversial statement in order to derail topic into another debate on wether Ovechkin is on a decline or not''?

No, Kovalchuk is not better (and especially not CLEARLY, ) than Ovechkin or Malkin, and hence is the 3rd best Russian player. Lets remember since Ovechkin has been in the NHL, he's been outscored by Kovalchuk only once, last year, and he still scored more goals.

Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 12-01-2012 at 08:06 PM.
FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Kovalchuk's wrister/snapper/slapper combo is probably the best shooting skillset in the league with Stamkos.

On the other hand, the main reason why Kovalchuk didn't score +40 goals last season seems obvious to me. His one-timer lost in accuracy compared to Atlanta.With 310 shots on net last season, IK was an offensive force.
Usually +300 shots on net mean easy 40 goal seasons for those elite shooters, but like I pointed out above, his S% regressed.

Once he'll make adjustment to his one-timer, I'm sure he'll hit the 40 goals/season mark again.

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 08:55 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Probably true. Elias is a star but gets very, very little recognition. Czech players (outside Jagr) usually get little hype for some reason.
Hasek got a lot of love. Of course with both Jagr and Hasek it would have been hard not to show them as stars.

Krejci and Elias are two of the most underrated guys in the league. So it is interesting that they are both Czech players.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:57 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashintangibles View Post
Kovalchuk's wrister/snapper/slapper combo is probably the best shooting skillset in the league with Stamkos.

On the other hand, the main reason why Kovalchuk didn't score +40 goals last season seems obvious to me. His one-timer lost in accuracy compared to Atlanta.With 310 shots on net last season, IK was an offensive force.
Usually +300 shots on net mean easy 40 goal seasons for those elite shooters, but like I pointed out above, his S% regressed.

Once he'll make adjustment to his one-timer, I'm sure he'll hit the 40 goals/season mark again.
I think that is switching wings more than anything, I expect that number to come back up.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I consider Kovalchuk to be a Russian version of Iginla. Judging from his salary, can anyone really proclaim him to be underrated? He's widely considered among the best wingers in the NHL. How is he underrated?

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 08:59 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

I think Kovalchuk is accurately rated - he's a supremely talented player, who midway through his career "got it" and realized skill alone wasn't getting it done, so he evolved his game for the good of his team.

Whether or not he gets the praise and hype he deserves is another conversation, but he's not the first NJ Devil to fly under the radar, and frankly, we kind of like it that way.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 09:04 PM
MrFunnyWobbl
"inside mad"

vCash: 966
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
Quote:
People always blah blah all he can do is shoot, can't skate or do anything else.

But he is very good defensively and at skating so I don't know what they're talking about. His shot is better than Ovechkin, he handles the puck better than Datysuk and is smarter than Malkin. Basically, he is better than the other russian players and is an overall very good player.

On a personal level, he's very smart and kind, and also very good looking? Why isn't he on the cover of every sports magazine??? He doesn't whine either like the other players, he just plays harder. Which makes him a great leader and could be captain on any team in the nhl.

My point is, Kovalchuk is very good and very underrated by the "experts" on the board. I think its very likely he will be the best in the NHL next season, anyone who says otherwise is underrating him and is the reason for topics like this. He is just destroying the KHL right now, the nhl gms must have trade deals for him together already.
false

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
I think that is switching wings more than anything, I expect that number to come back up.
I forgot to mean specifically his one-timer when he plays the point on PP. Otherwise he doesn't really use his one-timer that much at even strength, right or left wing.

Old
12-01-2012, 09:16 PM
HatTricK09

Loui Eriksson.

HatTricK09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTricK09 View Post
Loui Eriksson.
We heard this for years. We shouldn't confuse being underrated and playing for Dallas. I think Eriksson is close to correctly rated.
We've got to find someone else now...

someone make a poll

Old
12-01-2012, 09:34 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

And your job is to make him the most overrated?

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 10:13 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFunnyWobbl View Post
false
Kovalchuk has better speed and strength and more reach than Datsyuk.

Datsyuk dangles once in a while and people claim he's the best stickhandler of all-time.

It's much easier to stickhandle when you're 5'11, 195 lbs and not a fast skater than it is when you're 6'2, 230 lbs and as fast a skater as they come.

I think Kovalchuk is a more efficient stickhandler. He's almost like Jagr and Lemieux in that sense.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 10:17 PM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post

Datsyuk dangles once in a while and people claim he's the best stickhandler of all-time.

It's much easier to stickhandle when you're 5'11, 195 lbs and not a fast skater than it is when you're 6'2, 230 lbs and as fast a skater as they come.

I think Kovalchuk is a more efficient stickhandler. He's almost like Jagr and Lemieux in that sense.
Just wow all around. Great job.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 10:18 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post

They should have an award for longest reach among Russian forwards. Lock it up for Kovi.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 10:42 PM
NjDevsRR

This thread makes me very sad.

NjDevsRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Acallabeth
Seriously coach?

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
People always blah blah all he can do is shoot, can't skate or do anything else.
it's like saying that Chara is tiny.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
The OP is clearly Kovalchuk's wife or something. Only explanation I can think of.

He doesn't always get credit for the little things he does right, but he certainly isn't underrated. Not by Devils fans nor by anyone else.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 11:28 PM
FrozenJagrt

People rip on his skating? WHAT? Go check the best skater threads and come back. Actually, don't come back, your post was bad and you should feel bad too.

FrozenJagrt is online now   Reply With Quote