HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Chicago Wolves Discussion - Part VI

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2012, 07:35 PM
orcatown

vCash: 500
And now announcers agree with me

Old
12-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Moore Money

foligno just pumled a Marlie

Old
12-01-2012, 07:58 PM
orcatown

Too bad for Archibald- just after the whistle. Again Archibald looks great in front of the net. Second more and it's two goals in two games. His line with Gordon and Longpre have been by more the best.

If Archibald can learn to pivot harder and quicker might really have a player. Straight ahead he looks fine. Goers the body better than anyone else on this team.

Assume changes the line up are obviously designed to shake up the team. Thought Schroeder looked banged up at the end of last game when he got taken into the corner - so maybe hurt. Also Schroeder was a little weak on the tieing goal last night Connauton is another who may be laboring with some injury.

Sauve out is no surprise but having Kassian out is a little worrying. You wonder if Arneil is sending a message about consistency here. Haydar should just flat out be cut.

Climie had a great first period. Having both Friesen and Mallet as your centers is producing problems in the Wolves end.

Liked the way Rodin played but again no real results.

Joslin continues to be the best defenseman in spite of one bobbled puck that messed up a good chance on the PP.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Tiranis

Rodin needs to capitalize on chances like that.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:23 PM
orcatown

Good hustle by DesBiens

Old
12-01-2012, 08:31 PM
orcatown

Starting to really like Joslin. Moving the puck with authority.

Blain is already a lot better than Sauve.

Team is showing better cohesion than it has for awhile

Old
12-01-2012, 08:36 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbows of Bure View Post
This crossed my mind. The only good explanation that I can think of is that maybe Arniel is saying to the 12 forwards playing: "you guys have been garbage; these guys who have been carrying the team get the night off so you 18 can show me how to really play." I loathe to speculate that Kassian and Schroeder have behind the scenes issues.
Yeah, this is the only good reason I can think of for scratching those two... but still, I`d much rather they sent the others to the press box. But if JS is banged up then I am all for that.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:47 PM
14s incisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post

Haven't really noticed him lately, but I guess that's a good thing. He could really only get better, though, considering his absolutely abysmal start.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:59 PM
orcatown

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14s incisor View Post
Haven't really noticed him lately, but I guess that's a good thing. He could really only get better, though, considering his absolutely abysmal start.
Keep things tidy in his own end and using the body well. There are lots of bad thing happening in the Wolves zone and he is the one player (along with Tanev) that is working efficiently to get things sorted out. Steady and if he can be this then he might help the Canucks in a 7th man role.

Old
12-01-2012, 09:04 PM
14s incisor

Quote:
Keep things tidy in his own end and using the body well. There are lots of bad thing happening in the Wolves zone and he is the one player (along with Tanev) that is working efficiently to get things sorted out. Steady and if he can be this then he might help the Canucks in a 7th man role.
I'm not watching tonight, so I can't comment on his play in this game, but from what I've seen of him so far this season, I don't want him anywhere near the Canucks roster. He certainly hasn't been making as many mistakes lately, but he hasn't done enough to sway my opinion of him in the other direction either.

Hopefully it was just him adjusting to a new team and system.

Old
12-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Elbows of Bure

Quote:

I've only done a cursory amount of research on Blain. He's 20, right-handed shot, was suspended for a racist comment, and wasn't signed by the Oilers.

Does anyone think that Gillis & Co have their eyes on this guy, or was he a purely Chicago pickup?

Old
12-01-2012, 09:14 PM
orcatown

Joslin was poor at the beginning of season but has steadily improved. Have to figure Tanev starts with the Canucks and right now Joslin would be first call up.

Friesen having a great night in the face off circle. Could have used him at the end of last game and that's maybe shy he is in. Getting all the time and Mallet getting little

Old
12-01-2012, 09:19 PM
orcatown

Rodin on a 3 on 1 and he just blow it over the net . He has to start showing some offensive intelligence.

Old
12-01-2012, 09:21 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

It seems like his issue`s execution, isn`t it? I thought he had at least decent offensive instincts.

Old
12-01-2012, 09:27 PM
14s incisor

Quote:
Joslin was poor at the beginning of season but has steadily improved. Have to figure Tanev starts with the Canucks and right now Joslin would be first call up.

Friesen having a great night in the face off circle. Could have used him at the end of last game and that's maybe shy he is in. Getting all the time and Mallet getting little
I hope they address that. I'd feel more comfortable with Sauve, tbh, and he's had a pretty mediocre season, as well.

Old
12-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14s incisor View Post
I hope they address that. I'd feel more comfortable with Sauve, tbh, and he's had a pretty mediocre season, as well.
I don't see why. Sauve has been significantly worse than Joslin. Nothing more than a #5/#6 at the AHL level currently.

Old
12-01-2012, 09:30 PM
orcatown

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
It seems like his issue`s execution, isn`t it? I thought he had at least decent offensive instincts.
Not sure he has shown enough instincts - not really working intelligently to get into space and not relaxed enough to take the good option

Still showing a lot better in this game and doing some good stuff - but very individualistic

Old
12-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Tiranis

Nice goal, Archibald!

Old
12-01-2012, 09:31 PM
orcatown

Archibald looked great there - great shot I'm a little bit excited here

Old
12-01-2012, 09:33 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Archibald looked great there - great shot I'm a little bit excited here
He certainly looks more like the player I saw in the OHL rather than the one that I saw in the AHL last season. I hope he can stay consistent, even ignoring his production, and this isn't a blip like Longpre's hot start was.

Old
12-01-2012, 09:38 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Not sure he has shown enough instincts - not really working intelligently to get into space and not relaxed enough to take the good option

Still showing a lot better in this game and doing some good stuff - but very individualistic
Sounds like a little bit of everything then, for him... Maybe confidence, timing too.

Nice to hear that Archibald`s scored. If he could improve his skating it sounds like we might have something to work with here.

Old
12-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Nice to hear that Archibald`s scored. If he could improve his skating it sounds like we might have something to work with here.
I think his skating can be good enough if he keeps his feet moving and stays in the game. Did a good job of that today, I thought. Last night's game was a good one too on the whole, but the skating issues were definitely more evident.

I like that he's shooting more this season. Last year he was barely averaging 1 shot per game, whereas this year he's already up to almost half as many shots as last year but in 17 less games. Needs to keep that up and keep crashing the net.

Old
12-01-2012, 09:42 PM
14s incisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I don't see why. Sauve has been significantly worse than Joslin. Nothing more than a #5/#6 at the AHL level currently.
I haven't really noticed Sauve much this year. I've noticed Joslin more—he's been terrible.

I'm not really comfortable with Sauve either, which is why I said I hope they address that and add some more depth...if the CBA ever gets ironed out.

It was a while ago, but Sauve kept his head above water during his 5 game stint a few years back.

Last edited by 14s incisor: 12-01-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old
12-01-2012, 09:54 PM
orcatown

Changes in this game worked well. Maybe a wake up call for some players.

Far as I concerned Sauve needs to be gone now. Blain is better, Anyone might be better. Sauve has been looking Ellington II. Every game Sauve screws up much of the cohesion and the team was clearly better in its own end with him out. Did not see them missing Connauton tonite and that is really sad to say.

Thought both Tanev and Joslin were very good and Climie was excellent.

Can start the "what have we got in Archibald" thread. Played intelligently and again strong along the boards. Gives you the size you need and showed some nice hands again. There are some skating issues here but getting there and being big when he does. Could easily have had two goals tonite if he has a second longer in the first.

Like DesBiens in this game. Very good in his end in getting the puck out and strong forecheck. Showed leadership in this game. Ebbet also better but needed to score on those breakaways.

Rodin was a ton better despite not making some good choices with the puck. Game like this shows his talent and tenacity but he needs to get himself into a situation where he can better exploit what he does have.

One thing you have to wonder is how a player like Kassian will reacts to the situation. He has more talent than Archibald but he needs to watch how Archibald is playing within a team concept and to be more consistent in his effort.

Friesen had a good game and looks more reliable than Mallet. Mallet seems to have more game but Friesen looks a little safer. Way Arneil played them certainly seems his opinion anyways. Long term I like Mallet better but right now for the Wolves, Friesen might be the better way to go.

Old
12-01-2012, 09:57 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I think his skating can be good enough if he keeps his feet moving and stays in the game. Did a good job of that today, I thought. Last night's game was a good one too on the whole, but the skating issues were definitely more evident.

I like that he's shooting more this season. Last year he was barely averaging 1 shot per game, whereas this year he's already up to almost half as many shots as last year but in 17 less games. Needs to keep that up and keep crashing the net.
Depends on his conditioning level, I think. If it`s good enough that he can keep his feet moving constantly, then good for him. I didn`t get to see much of him last year but it`d be interesting to see how much his skating`s improved anyway.

Agreed though - Wolves need size up front, they give him a well-earned chance to show his stuff this year and it looks like he has taken the opportunity and run with it. We saw earlier this season in Kalamazoo where he averaged pretty much 3 shots/game and led the team in that category. Good to see - the rest of the team could learn from that; there`s an obvious hunger to score there.

We`ve also needed a LW prospect in the system to step up this year. Hopefully this is the beginning of it.

Closed Thread