HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12'/13' Marlies Part I|24-14-2-2|Colborne and Ashton stepping up?

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2012, 05:56 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Par for the course on the Leaf board. Quick to bring players up to the Leafs when they play well and have potential, quick to discard players when they are struggling. Joe has NHL talent, and should find his way eventually. A little patience can go a long way.
Agreed. Look what it did (is doing?) for Matt Frattin.

Old
11-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

We shouldn't NEED him, and should have the resources to be able to let prospects develop. Up your game Burkie. Get us that 1C.

Old
12-01-2012, 10:32 PM
TmlHockeyFan

He was absolutely invisible today.

Well there's no rush.

Old
12-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Didn't notice him at all tbh.

Old
12-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
We shouldn't NEED him, and should have the resources to be able to let prospects flounder. Up your game Burkie. Get us that 1C.
Colborne hasn't done anything but regress and flounder since last fall.

Old
12-01-2012, 10:59 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

He'll get there guys, everyone takes their sweet time. Relax.

12-01-2012, 11:04 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
He'll get there guys, everyone takes their sweet time. Relax.
I agree, I'm pretty high on him, you don't see many guys his size with his skill and vision.

I'm pretty confident he'll put it all together and be a good 2nd liner. I mean getting used to his size and body takes much longer then the average player. A lot of people disagree, but I see him as a 20G 40A guy

Old
12-01-2012, 11:09 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post
I agree, I'm pretty high on him, you don't see many guys his size with his skill and vision.

I'm pretty confident he'll put it all together and be a good 2nd liner. I mean getting used to his size and body takes much longer then the average player. A lot of people disagree, but I see him as a 20G 40A guy
Ideally thats where I envision him as well, he might not be there for us immediately like we want. However he'll get there, he has too much skill to pass up on.

Old
12-01-2012, 11:29 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Colborne hasn't done anything but regress and flounder since last fall.
Well I certainly agree. Tonight was probably the most invisible I've seen him all season.

Old
12-02-2012, 11:47 AM
Sterling31
YNWA

Went to the last 2 games. and dear god is Joe not into it at all.

Plenty of times he could have used his size to run over some guys , but he takes the easy route on every play it seems.

Good to see Eakins behind the bench making the right calls with his players ice time. I hope Joe is in the pressbox tonight. Mckegg didn't look too bad in Rochester.

Old
12-02-2012, 12:23 PM
RtooDtu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
Went to the last 2 games. and dear god is Joe not into it at all.

Plenty of times he could have used his size to run over some guys , but he takes the easy route on every play it seems.

Good to see Eakins behind the bench making the right calls with his players ice time. I hope Joe is in the pressbox tonight. Mckegg didn't look too bad in Rochester.
Press box helped out Kadri...big time.

I am not so hopeful with this kid. He is massive but doesn't use it.

Old
12-02-2012, 12:26 PM
darrylsittler27

The problem is we aren't behind the scenes.

He hid those injuries pretty well from us last year and we aren't Eakins.Bottom line is we weren't expecting him to make the bigs this year anyway.Kadri and Frattin seem to be the the next in line and I don't see any room for big Joe right now.I'm sure Eakins will speak up when the heat gets a bit heavy on him.Loss of confidence maybe?

Old
12-02-2012, 01:26 PM
S2S
Come at me bros

The difference between Colborne and Kadri is engagement and hard work. Kadri has many days where once the puck is by him, he slows down or turns away. But there are times when Kadri is right in the play as well.

Even when Colborne is putting up points, I don't see him engaging enough. Too soft on the puck and the man and very perimeter. He has the size and the skill, but the feet and hard work aren't there. If you could combine the two players, then wow!

If this were the old NHL, Colborne would still make it despite his downfalls, on his size alone, while Kadri, if not putting up points, likely wouldn't. Now that the game's emphasis is more on speed and skill, Kadri is more likely to make it despite his weakneses, while Colborne will be an AHL lifer if this continues. No team has time anymore for a player of his size who uses none of it.

Old
12-02-2012, 02:20 PM
ponder

My opinion on Colborne hasn't changed much this year, but I wasn't high on him last year either. Actually watching him play in the NHL and AHL last year, I really didn't get why people were pencilling him in as a future 2nd line or even 1st line centre for us. There were people talking about how they couldn't wait to "upgrade" our #2C spot from Grabo to Colborne, which was just insane. Colborne has size and skill, but he's slow and soft, and most of all he just has trouble keeping up with the play. Great players are always one step ahead of the opposition, pressuring them quickly and cutting off passing lanes pre-emptively, while Colborne always looks one step behind the opposition, just chasing the puck.

Last year I said numerous times that I wasn't convinced he'd ever be a full time NHLer, and I feel the same way now. I'm sure he'll get over his current slump, and return to being a fairly solid and productive AHLer, but I don't really see him becoming an NHLer. I don't see top 6 talent, and I don't see bottom 6 toughness/hustle/2-way play. He could maybe be a decent 3rd liner if we go with 3 offensive lines, but even that I see as a bit of a stretch. The only time he's looked really impressive in the AHL is October of last year, when him and Crabb were tearing it up together, but I think a lot of that was Colborne feeding off Crabb.

Last edited by ponder: 12-02-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old
12-02-2012, 02:26 PM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post

20/40 in the NHL would be surprising in my opining. He never performed to this level so far in his career and his production has gone down this year. He'll probably flop, that's why Boston gave up on him.

Old
12-02-2012, 04:00 PM
rdawg1234

Not high on him at all anymore. When we first got him I was excited, and then he had a great start to last year.

Then he wavered and the play dropped and now he continues to do very little at the AHL level.

he's 22, very close to being a flop guys.

Difference between him and Kadri, I 've seen Kadri's potential showing at the NHL level, he has that NHL skill, and can actually put alot of energy in his game. Colborne tends to float around and doesn't hit hard at all, which isn't good for a 6'5 player.

I personally wouldn't care if we traded him for a later pick, but I can understand keeping him around for the marlies. he's slowly turning into a career AHLer IMO or at best a 3rd line/depth forward.

Old
12-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Cool Beans Man

I know it's not everything, but doesn't he have like 2G in his last 50 games or something? Injury aside, that's not very promising at the moment.

Old
12-02-2012, 06:37 PM
leftwinghockey

The argument that "he is young, give him a break" does have much merit. If it did, what would the point of watching and analyzing prospects be?

I watch Joe Colborne and if I were a scout I simply would not grade him highly. He would not be on any priority list of players I'd recommend to acquire and it's pretty boring and useless to say "he's young give him a break".

I've watched Kadri struggle but due to the amount of talent and ability he shows, I'll give him a break because he is young but you cannot just say that for every prospect.

If Joe Colborne were moved I wouldnt be upset at all.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:10 AM
InterceptSchenn
Good Evening MrFrost

Colborne is just slow......and his hands have disappeared. No time to waste with this guy. Trade him.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:17 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 10-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterceptSchenn View Post
Colborne is just slow......and his hands have disappeared. No time to waste with this guy. Trade him.
Trade him for what?

Old
12-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Trade him for what?
Maybe something like:

Colborne + Blacker
For
Stransky + Oleskiak

Old
12-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Zeroknowledge*

Unfortunately I think his upside is a Chad Kilger type of player.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:25 AM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
Unfortunately I think his upside is a Chad Kilger type of player.
I don't really see the resemblance, but to each his own.

I'm just not high on him at all - I don't see anything more than a decent 3rd liner... would not be disappointed if we moved him.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Joey Hoser

I just don't see anything in this guy at this point. I'm not usually quick to give up on prospects, and I wouldn't say I have with Colbrone yet either, largly due to his injury last year, but man, the guy just doesn't give you anything to go on.

His offensive skill is decent but not enough to carry him to the NHL. His skating is average, his physical game is lacking, and he doesn't use his size effectively enough to make being 6'6 an attribute. He doesn't excel at face-offs, along the boards or in front of the net.

Unless he puts it all together in a hurry, it looks like he may need to start working on developing a niche role for himself, because it doesn't look like he's going to evolve into the NHL as the top-six center he was on the path to becoming when he arrived here.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Beleafer4

Meh I called him a fringe player back when we acquired him 2years ago.

However, that being said, he is still young. Who knows, maybe one day he sees his nhl dreams fading and he decides to elevate his energy and grit? If he does, he can make the nhl based on his size alone.

Closed Thread