2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Petes96

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout97 View Post
If S.day doesent get Exceptional status who would be the #1 forward avaible. Konecny, korostelev,or stephans?. how does day compare to mcdavid and ekblad. Is he a better prospect then both of them ?
And is zach werenski planning for.the OHL.He should be a top 3 pick
looks like Day will be a Peterborough Pete

Old
11-26-2012, 04:04 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes96 View Post
looks like Day will be a Peterborough Pete
Looks like it, Maybe Erie can beat them in the battle of the basement though. We are the undisputed basement champs the last few years

Getting a potential two ES players would be unstoppable.

Old
11-26-2012, 07:26 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
Looks like it, Maybe Erie can beat them in the battle of the basement though. We are the undisputed basement champs the last few years

Erie or Hamilton Otters? Im kidding, I know U are one of the die hard fans. Isnt it true the Hamilton Bulldogs get 8-10k attendance each game? Pretty good numbers Id say. I hope Erie stays there for at least 3 years because if they move and reach glory its going to sting pretty bad for the real fans over there. Its all about Economics I guess.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:02 PM
Daneurism

Interesting. Maybe Day is a duel citizen? I thought he was considered an American prospect.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:32 PM
mapleleaf979

IF anyone is interested in watching some video of Sean Day here it is. October 6th 2012. U16 Flyers vs Compuware. Its the Full game with the stoppages edited out. Compuware is wearing White Jersey's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw_69...hannel&list=UL

Sean Day #4
Brent JR Gates #8
Brendan Warren #11
Gordie Green #9
Grant Gabriele #2
Nick Boka #10
Jake Gingell #5
Garrett Jenkins #35

Old
11-26-2012, 09:14 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneurism View Post
Interesting. Maybe Day is a duel citizen? I thought he was considered an American prospect.
Me too, the only thing that made me think otherwise was the poster I quoted and after researching it, it does indeed look like he has at least some sort of connection to Canada.
Anyone know if this is his dad?
That'd mean that his father would have been 20 at the time of his birth, but it's not that unheard of I guess.
There's also the Michigan connection.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:52 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout97 View Post
If S.day doesent get Exceptional status who would be the #1 forward avaible. Konecny, korostelev,or stephans?. how does day compare to mcdavid and ekblad. Is he a better prospect then both of them ?
And is zach werenski planning for.the OHL.He should be a top 3 pick
Sean Day is ahead of Ekblad at his age, but behind McDavid. Hopefully Day doesnt turn into another Bouwmeester?

#1 pick should be Korostolev, if he is granted eligibility? If not, then it may be Konecny. Stephens is a bit undersized and inconsistent, but when he is on, wow.

I think that between Elgin and Oakville, they might have 5 guys in the top 10 in the draft.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:07 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
http://westislandgazette.com/sports/...raft-prospect/

"Sprong resurfaced during the summer as an All-State all-Canadian, a mentorship program for the top bantam-age players in the country. But, Drolet said, Sprong is not a Canadian citizen, so he didnít meet citizenship requirements to play midget AAA."
Wow. Thanks for the link and info.

Old
11-27-2012, 12:06 PM
willy29

Quote:

I would rather be an Erie Otter fan than a Pete's fan...at least Erie has McDavid and some younger players, the Pete's have nothing....

Old
11-27-2012, 01:01 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy29 View Post
I would rather be an Erie Otter fan than a Pete's fan...at least Erie has McDavid and some younger players, the Pete's have nothing....
That is true, I agree fully and I am really hoping that the players they have now especially the younger ones can finally turn this franchise around. I know they have the talent and potential to do it.

Old
11-27-2012, 03:56 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
That is true, I agree fully and I am really hoping that the players they have now especially the younger ones can finally turn this franchise around. I know they have the talent and potential to do it.
Petes have some young talent on their roster, but they are going to have to blow it up completely if they want Day. That means trade Quine, Koekkok, Trojanovek, Ceresniak, Menard, Pierog, Mathers and Seymour. Keep all 95s and some OAs to protect youngsters.

They cant do a partial rebuild. It is either a complete or nothing.

Old
11-27-2012, 04:56 PM
mapleleaf979

Korostelev got his cast removed 4 days ago. Im wondering if he will suit up this Friday vs the Marlboros. If not, very soon I imagine. The play in which he got injured and broke his wrist was a one timer play and he jammed his wrist. This in my opinion is Korostelev's most dangerous tool that he has. This is what makes Korostelev so dangerous and will serve him incredibly well moving forward. He has phenomenal One-Timer, very rare in minor midget. A technique that is one of, if not the hardest technique in hockey. U dont see alot of kids his age with this ability. Especially one timing a bullet pass from a team-mate. If u look at Phil Kessel he still only relies on his wrist shot and can not one time the puck properly, consistently. By most accounts Dante Salituro was the best sniper in the OHL draft with his 47 goals in 33 games. If i had to guess Id say 35 of those goals were Wrist shots and the rest tap in's. U look at elite 60 goal scorers in the NHL in recent years STamkos and Ovechkin and those 2 possess one timing excellence. Stamkos and Ovie live on the dot on the PP, one timing the puck. As u move on through the hockey ranks, thats one thing u see more of is one timers. Most frequent in the NHL and becomes less and less as u move down the ranks. If Korostelev proves his shot is becoming more accurate he will elevate his rank in the draft. Korostelev usually needs 5-6 shots before scoring. He wont have that many chances in the O per game, his shot selection and accuracy are key for him from now on. He showed improved playmaking skills before he went down. Interesting to watch this kid at the Marlies Classic and see what the JR Canadiens can do will a full roster against Elgin, LJK, Marlies, Rebels, Oakville Rangers, YSE.

Old
11-28-2012, 08:50 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Living in Tbay im happy to see some impressive prospects, Grzelewski, Mckay as big forwards and Behse and possibly Kavanaugh on the point.. Going to catch as many games as I can this year..

Old
11-29-2012, 11:39 PM
KillerHockey

I have to agree with you about Grzelewski, McKay but Behse I watched him in Brantford and he really didn't standout or play well. I thought Stewart and Newhouse were there better two D but it's early still.

As for other notable forwards on the Kings to watch out for are Thrower, Kitt and Hamlin.

Last edited by KillerHockey: 11-30-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old
11-30-2012, 07:55 AM
puckaddict17

Nikita currently in Russia had his cast removed 7 days ago being that the fracture was in the wrist area it woukd be very unlikely that he woukd be back playing before January. He will need to rehab the wrist and regain strength not to mention regain muscle atrophy for the weeks in a cast. I have no doubt he can regain the strength and confidence but this will take some time.

Old
11-30-2012, 12:34 PM
EpicNeilTime

Quote:
IF anyone is interested in watching some video of Sean Day here it is. October 6th 2012. U16 Flyers vs Compuware. Its the Full game with the stoppages edited out. Compuware is wearing White Jersey's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw_69...hannel&list=UL

Sean Day #4
Brent JR Gates #8
Brendan Warren #11
Gordie Green #9
Grant Gabriele #2
Nick Boka #10
Jake Gingell #5
Garrett Jenkins #35
Wow is he ever good! Big kid, good hitter, good hands, great offensive awareness, and good skater.

Liked number 20 and 35 for Compuware. Both big kids that could skate.

Number 17 on flyers looked pretty good too. Seemed to get his shots from the point through and could walk the blue line very well.

Old
11-30-2012, 10:31 PM
KillerHockey

Watched the Thunder Bay Minor Midget Kings win 6-0 tonight and I have to say Mckitrick, Thrower and Hamlin were three of the best players on the ice tonight. Hamlin was using his great skating ability to make things happen he ended the night with a goal and assist and was bussing all over the ice tonight and got into a couple of tussle with two six footers. Also Thrower had a goal and assist to.

Old
11-30-2012, 10:46 PM
mapleleaf979

I watched the Bantam Marlboros vs Nats and minor midget MArlboros vs JR Canadiens.

MArlies won 9-1. The 98 Marlies have some really good players. They appear to have a nice system down which I credit Paul Coffey for that. Mikey Mcleod got injured tonight,I do not think its serious but he left the game and did not return. Mcleod looks like he has all the tools and is another powerful and wonderful and smooth skater, hands, visions, etc. Mcleod is well ahead of others. Could easily play Minor Midget and flourish. #98 Mizzi is another player who could play on the 97 team as well. Unreal skater, very explosive and constant work ethic. Mizzi will be high end pick next year. #57 Cairns is a big boy and played a nice game from the back end. Great passes. The young Coffey is another super smart, great skater, hopefully he grows a bit more. #44 Hunter hit everything in site, reminded me of Zac Rinaldo. Low end skill, but decent skater. Fantastic skaters on that team.

Minor Midget Game : Marlies vs Jr canadiens

MArlies won 4-1. Pretty boring game. So many turnovers the game lacked flow of any kind. Josh De Farius is the best skating defenseman on the Marlboros. He logs alot of minutes and uses his feet to skate himself out of trouble. Confident player. Excellent mobility in all directions. Does not Panic. Also is not physical. Alot of the remaining Marlboro defenseman panic when u press hard on the forecheck. Stephens always leaves me wanting more. Does not look focused at times. Stephens has Konecny like tools but doesnt seem to want to display them as often. This is what Konecny has over all the other top guys is hunger and consistency. Consistency is a mindset, its impossible to teach that to a player.

Will Lawrence played a good game. He is consistent and I always notice him out there. He doesnt have a ton of high end skill. He does have a nice work ethic and skates well.

Noah Jordan moves very, very well for a player his size. Does not hit as much as he should. Tends to keep his head down when moving at full speed.

Zach Wilkie had a very average game from others Ive seen him in. I like his physical game and he makes solid, hard outlet passes usually right on the tape. Skates well, good size. He has good shot. One of the best body checkers in MM.

TJ Fergus. Skates well but not top tier. Has a very good hockey IQ. He does not play physical but thats not his game. He moves the puck well. Works super hard on the PK. I saw him play 4 straight mins on the PK and kill it off last week.

My player of the game was a 98. Adam Mascherin #71. This kid has some moves, explosiveness and hands. Very creative. He was the most dangerous player on either team all game long. He turned the defenseman inside out and a few occasions, seems to want to challenge the Dmen on the Rush whenever he can. Fantastic puck skills. He will be a high first round pick next year thats for darn sure.

Old
12-01-2012, 11:57 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
I watched the Bantam Marlboros vs Nats and minor midget MArlboros vs JR Canadiens.

MArlies won 9-1. The 98 Marlies have some really good players. They appear to have a nice system down which I credit Paul Coffey for that. Mikey Mcleod got injured tonight,I do not think its serious but he left the game and did not return. Mcleod looks like he has all the tools and is another powerful and wonderful and smooth skater, hands, visions, etc. Mcleod is well ahead of others. Could easily play Minor Midget and flourish. #98 Mizzi is another player who could play on the 97 team as well. Unreal skater, very explosive and constant work ethic. Mizzi will be high end pick next year. #57 Cairns is a big boy and played a nice game from the back end. Great passes. The young Coffey is another super smart, great skater, hopefully he grows a bit more. #44 Hunter hit everything in site, reminded me of Zac Rinaldo. Low end skill, but decent skater. Fantastic skaters on that team.

Minor Midget Game : Marlies vs Jr canadiens

MArlies won 4-1. Pretty boring game. So many turnovers the game lacked flow of any kind. Josh De Farius is the best skating defenseman on the Marlboros. He logs alot of minutes and uses his feet to skate himself out of trouble. Confident player. Excellent mobility in all directions. Does not Panic. Also is not physical. Alot of the remaining Marlboro defenseman panic when u press hard on the forecheck. Stephens always leaves me wanting more. Does not look focused at times. Stephens has Konecny like tools but doesnt seem to want to display them as often. This is what Konecny has over all the other top guys is hunger and consistency. Consistency is a mindset, its impossible to teach that to a player.

Will Lawrence played a good game. He is consistent and I always notice him out there. He doesnt have a ton of high end skill. He does have a nice work ethic and skates well.

Noah Jordan moves very, very well for a player his size. Does not hit as much as he should. Tends to keep his head down when moving at full speed.

Zach Wilkie had a very average game from others Ive seen him in. I like his physical game and he makes solid, hard outlet passes usually right on the tape. Skates well, good size. He has good shot. One of the best body checkers in MM.

TJ Fergus. Skates well but not top tier. Has a very good hockey IQ. He does not play physical but thats not his game. He moves the puck well. Works super hard on the PK. I saw him play 4 straight mins on the PK and kill it off last week.

My player of the game was a 98. Adam Mascherin #71. This kid has some moves, explosiveness and hands. Very creative. He was the most dangerous player on either team all game long. He turned the defenseman inside out and a few occasions, seems to want to challenge the Dmen on the Rush whenever he can. Fantastic puck skills. He will be a high first round pick next year thats for darn sure.
DId Mete play for Jr Cdns? He can move the puck efficiently and can skate very well.

Maschering is great player for Underager, but he will lack size. He is like Pollisello and Cianfrone.

Old
12-02-2012, 03:02 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
DId Mete play for Jr Cdns? He can move the puck efficiently and can skate very well.

Maschering is great player for Underager, but he will lack size. He is like Pollisello and Cianfrone.
Victor Mete didnt play. Im pretty sure they had 5 D that game. Wilkie, Fergus, Cragg, Perlman, Scauzillo. Perlman and Cragg are big boys that have awkward feet. The 97's are alot smaller as a group. The 98's are going to be big/more skilled. The bantam game I watched was more entertaining. Joseph Mizzi is going to be a player. Jeremy Smith is another good player.

Old
12-02-2012, 11:21 PM
KillerHockey

Watched the Minor Midget AAA Kings take three games out of three against the Winnipeg Hawks this weekend.

A couple of really noticeable players

#9 HAMLIN had an excellent weekend with 3 goals and 3 assist using his speed, and great shot also finishing all his hit and battling hard in front of the net and in the corners.

#7 GRZELEWSKI also had an impressive weekend with a couple of goals and assist.

He battle really hard on the boards and in front of the net and used his big shot.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 50
Day to 67s.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:57 AM
wingman22

One player out of the equation is Lawson Crouse from EMC. He supports a strong player like Konecny. Stephens misses that and seems to have found his place as a two way shut down Centre with two punishing wingers. Strome counters with finesse and two wingers who support him offensively. It will be up to the teams to find the right fit and bring these strenghts out.
Just for fun, if the league finished now !
1. Petes - Sean Day (has met with Branch, only concern is psyc test)
2. Ottawa - Dylan Strome, replacement for Monahan. Need offense
3. Erie - Zach Wierenski - Best D available
4. Sudbury - Travis Konency - fits Sudbury styke, great fit
5. Saginaw - Mitchell Stephens - Need of a Centremen, next best.
6. Soo - Blake Speers - local kid
7. Kingston - Michael Davie - Centre to help with fwd depth
8. N.Bay - Matt Spencer D
9. Plymouth - Brett MacKenzie
10.Sarnia - Denis Yan - connection with Cicerelli and Galchynuk
11.Belleville - Kyle Capobianco - big ice service, great skating D
12.Missis - Troy Henley - D
13. Oshawa - Lawson Crouse - will compliment Delle Colle
14. Guelph - Cameron Lizotte D
15. Niagara - Sam Harding
16. Kitchener - Cole Mayo D
17. Barrie - tyler MacArthur - local D
18. Owen Sound - Haydon McCool
19. London - Luke Kirwin connection

Old
12-03-2012, 11:27 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman22 View Post
1. Petes - Sean Day (has met with Branch, only concern is psyc test)
2. Ottawa - Dylan Strome, replacement for Monahan. Need offense
3. Erie - Zach Wierenski - Best D available
4. Sudbury - Travis Konency - fits Sudbury styke, great fit
5. Saginaw - Mitchell Stephens - Need of a Centremen, next best.
6. Soo - Blake Speers - local kid
7. Kingston - Michael Davie - Centre to help with fwd depth
8. N.Bay - Matt Spencer D
9. Plymouth - Brett MacKenzie
10.Sarnia - Denis Yan - connection with Cicerelli and Galchynuk
11.Belleville - Kyle Capobianco - big ice service, great skating D
12.Missis - Troy Henley - D
13. Oshawa - Lawson Crouse - will compliment Delle Colle
14. Guelph - Cameron Lizotte D
15. Niagara - Sam Harding
16. Kitchener - Cole Mayo D
17. Barrie - tyler MacArthur - local D
18. Owen Sound - Haydon McCool
19. London - Luke Kirwin connection
Ive heard the same things. He has already set the wheels in motion for ES with the OHL. Ive also heard Korostelev is eligible now.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:32 PM
wingman22

Quote:
Ive heard the same things. He has already set the wheels in motion for ES with the OHL. Ive also heard Korostelev is eligible now.
With that eligibility it may change the Top 5. To me the Top 10 is somewhat a given, its just a matter of what order. Most top players know where they are going by playoffs.
Do you think OHL teams prefer local kids ? Speers to Soo, MacArthur to Barrie and Stephens to Petes. Maybe McCool to Oshawa. At least for the small market teams.

Closed Thread