HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Prospect Thread XIII

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2012, 03:16 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Wasn't directed at me, but I don't know that anyone can pinpoint why Rodin isn't succeeding. He looks like he should be putting up points and making things happen but he just isn't. He certainly doesn't shoot enough, that's for sure *22 shots in 14 games with 7 of those coming in 1 game. He's basically averaging 1 shot per game outside of that one fluke game. What's hurting him further is that he's not particularly good defensively so far. Pretty inconsistent game-to-game too.

There's been quite a few Swedes recently that have had trouble adjusting though. Zibanejad looks less than impressive for where he was picked and MPS has been extremely disappointing too. Silfverberg hasn't exactly lit it up either so far.
He definitely doesn't shoot the puck enough for sure, but I also suspect he isn't getting to the right areas enough either. I can't really recall for certain but to me it doesn't seem like he's always getting chances to score and then fanning on or just not burying them.

There's been 3 separate occasions where he should have had a goal, really - the 1st was waived off due to Desbien's silly goalie interuption but he was making a beeline to the goal; the 2nd he could've jammed into an open net if he'd just charged in and whacked away, and the 3rd one that actually did register on the scoresheet was him backhanding a rebound in. Again, all 3 chances were right in front of the crease and I think he needs to get there more somehow, either with or without the puck.

Old
11-30-2012, 05:39 PM
BerSTUzzi

vCash: 500
I am a little lost to think about the Wolves players right now. The system they are playing and the quality the "Vets" are playing at is quite poor. I hope things shake themselves out by the 40 game mark and they find themselves playing far more consistently.

Old
11-30-2012, 05:48 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post

and I still think Mallet could be one of those intense Burrows Rypien type guys whos really annoying to play against, protects his teammates and still manages to get 20-25 = 45 pts.
I have a good feeling about him too.

Love to see the Wolves play him on a line with Kassian, just for fun.

Old
11-30-2012, 05:58 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post
Good to hear positive about Hutton. Where do you listen to his games?
I just click the link listed in the schedule: http://www.goblackbears.com/sports/m...12-13/schedule
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
@feebster What's up with Rodin in your opinion and why isn't he scoring more? Does he play too much on the perimeter as well?
Not moving his feet or winning the puck battles enough. Too passive, needs to be more assertive with the puck (not even when he shooting, but passing/cycling the puck, too many intercepted). Can be invisible through large portions (periods even) of the game. After a fairly good 2nd half last season plus his first truly healthy off season of training, it is a bit baffling how his play has regressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I don't disagree that given the same production, Kassian is a more attractive prospect but that's expected given his draft position. But it's not as if the margin between the two of them is as big as to say one is a promising prospect and the other is a total worthless piece of crap, which a lot of people seem to be doing. Besides, they both have things they're better at than the other guy it's not as if Kassian is just flat out better at everything.

I've said before, Schroeder is #5 on my list (Kassian, Lack, Jensen, Corrado... Tanev doesn't count, otherwise he would be behind Kassian, probably), so it's not as if I'm totally crazy even though the way I defend Schroeder is might seem like it.
Hopefully that does not include me! Because that is not my intent as i've largely defended him against the "bust" comments. I still think he is a good prospect with the skill and talent to make it to the NHL, but 60-70 pt projection is definitely more than i'd envision. Not many players reach that level and i don't think Schroeder's shown that he's capable of that. But i agree with your rankings.

Old
11-30-2012, 06:07 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Hopefully that does not include me!
Definitely doesn't, haha. I think it's mostly been those who don't watch the games and just go by stats (or otherwise seem to be determined to prove that all our prospects suck, which is a weird obsession for a Canucks fan).

Old
11-30-2012, 08:07 PM
Shareefruck

I think the 70-80 point predictions for Kassian/Jensen are really overly optimistic, personally. I think if we're lucky they top out at around 60-65

Old
11-30-2012, 08:35 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I think the 70-80 point predictions for Kassian/Jensen are really overly optimistic, personally. I think if we're lucky they top out at around 60-65
Even if they are consistent 50 point players they are absolutely worth it.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:28 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Even if they are consistent 50 point players they are absolutely worth it.
Absolutely.

Also, the Tanev stuff is absolutely ridiculous, IMO. Even if he doesn't have potential to be a #1/2 guy, people are picking #5/6 as his ceiling as if he wasn't that already.

Old
12-01-2012, 06:04 AM
ahmon

yah 70+ more like ceiling.

If kassian turns into a 25 g 25 a forward that is consistently physical and is not a liability in the d-zone. Thats pretty valuable.

I would be shocked if schroeder can become a 70 pt player in the nhl.

Old
12-01-2012, 10:13 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:

If kassian turns into a 25 g 25 a forward that is consistently physical and is not a liability in the d-zone. Thats pretty valuable.

The year we fell in love with Bertuzzi he put up 25 g 25 a and was the force we needed. That year finally brought me out of the "we traded Linden?" depression.

Old
12-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:

I'd be kind of shocked if he ever hits 50 personally.

Old
12-01-2012, 03:50 PM
Scurr

Quote:
I'd be kind of shocked if he ever hits 50 personally.
I'm a little surprised at that. Hansen hit 40... Raymond hit 50... it'll be pretty disappointing if Kassian, with all that talent, doesn't get there. Ryan Clowe has done it 3 times and Kassian is a much better skater and more talented imo.

Now that I read that again, you may have been talking about Schroeder... I tend to agree with that.

Last edited by Scurr: 12-01-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old
12-01-2012, 06:44 PM
blendini

Quote:
Absolutely.

Also, the Tanev stuff is absolutely ridiculous, IMO. Even if he doesn't have potential to be a #1/2 guy, people are picking #5/6 as his ceiling as if he wasn't that already.
'Nuck fans - if a dman isn't a goal scorer, he has no value. Forget that he has already become an NHLr before most dmen his age.

Old
12-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I'm a little surprised at that. Hansen hit 40... Raymond hit 50... it'll be pretty disappointing if Kassian, with all that talent, doesn't get there. Ryan Clowe has done it 3 times and Kassian is a much better skater and more talented imo.

Now that I read that again, you may have been talking about Schroeder... I tend to agree with that.
Definitely Schroeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by blendini View Post
'Nuck fans - if a dman isn't a goal scorer, he has no value. Forget that he has already become an NHLr before most dmen his age.
By all accounts, Ballard is better than a #6 defenseman. I think most people would at least consider him a #5.

Tanev has matched or outplayed him (and hasn't been outclassed) like 90% of the times they've played together.

So how is he not already a #5 guy? You'd rather have him out there than Rome or Alberts.

Old
12-02-2012, 12:23 AM
ahmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
I just click the link listed in the schedule: http://www.goblackbears.com/sports/m...12-13/schedule

Thanks. Pretty excited about this prospect.

Size is there. Skating is good. Has a good breakout pass.

6 pts in 14 gms for a dman as a freshman at the college level is not bad at all. When you consider the top point getter on the team has 7 as a forward, his numbers look even better.

Picked in the 5th round too.

Old
12-02-2012, 04:29 AM
timw33

Quote:
Thanks. Pretty excited about this prospect.

Size is there. Skating is good. Has a good breakout pass.

6 pts in 14 gms for a dman as a freshman at the college level is not bad at all. When you consider the top point getter on the team has 7 as a forward, his numbers look even better.

Picked in the 5th round too.
6 points in 14 games on a team that is 2-10-2. Very good for the team he's on.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:34 AM
FAMOUSfin

Jensen -- Top 6 Impact Scorer -- Enough talent to play consistently on the first line but not one to carry that line. 60 to 70 pts.

Kassian -- 2nd line/Tweener -- Enough talent to provide satisfactory scoring on the second line while establishing an imposing physical presence. 40 to 50+ pts.

Schroeder -- Tweener -- Lacks the size and skill necessary to be a consistent top 6 forward, likely sees spot duty in the NHL? ~30 pts. Andrew Ebbett comparable.

Tanev -- 4th/5th -- Reliable defensive defenseman.

Connauton -- 4th/5th -- 2 Way defenseman, PPQB option.

Hopeful that at least one of these surpasses these expectations.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAMOUSfin View Post
Jensen -- Top 6 Impact Scorer -- Enough talent to play consistently on the first line but not one to carry that line. 60 to 70 pts.

Kassian -- 2nd line/Tweener -- Enough talent to provide satisfactory scoring on the second line while establishing an imposing physical presence. 40 to 50+ pts.

Schroeder -- Tweener -- Lacks the size and skill necessary to be a consistent top 6 forward, likely sees spot duty in the NHL? ~30 pts. Andrew Ebbett comparable.

Schroeders a tricky one gauge. I wanna see him play in the NHL before giving him a potential. He has the skill level to be in the top 6 without a doubt. Let's see how he plays with better players. I have a feeling he'll elevate once he's there. Also, Corrado has a chance to be a number 3/4 defeneseman.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:46 AM
14s incisor

Quote:

Only if his passing vastly improves. He's more of a trigger man than a QB.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:43 PM
blendini

Quote:

You forgot:
Corrado 2/3 (2-wayD),
Mallet 3/4 line,
Gaunce 2/3 line C,
Rodin 3 line,
Lack 1/1a goalie
and some of the younger guys are starting to develop nicely.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:51 AM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
I think our top 3 prospects we'll look back on in the future and rank as the best are:

1) Kassian - our future Milan Lucic/Todd Bertuzzi. Can create space and make good passes to our skilled players, also can provide big hits when we need them.

2) Jensen - Think Sedin-like, can take a huge hit and get right back to it, but rarely makes a big hit. Does make a big hit when needed, unlike the Sedins though, very Cooke-like in that regard but clean.

3) Corrado - I think this guy surpasses Tanev, I think they'll be about the same defensively but Corrado becomes much superiorly offensively, but that doesn't mean Tanev will be much to write home about in the offensive zone. I predict Tanev becomes very Mitchell-like in his approach to the thinking game that flourishes under Lemaire, but Corrado is more Hamhuis-like in his first-pass skills, vision and defensive awareness.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:10 AM
lawrence

Gauge our prospects? It's pretty sad.

A kind poster has been posting all of our prospects stats. It looks downright sad. Canucks fan here, not afraid to admit it.

Only bright spots right now, is Jensen leading his pro team in goal scoring.

Corrado at team Canada tryout camp.

Other then that... not much....

Mcnally getting kicked out of school....

Old
12-12-2012, 02:51 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post

A kind poster has been posting all of our prospects stats. It looks downright sad. Canucks fan here, not afraid to admit it.

A lot of them are playing on some really low-scoring teams this year for whatever reason... the large majority from the Chicago Wolves, plus the Bellville Bulls, U of Wisconsin, U of Maine, Harvard too.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:29 PM
billvanseattle

Quote:

Hmmm thats pretty pessimistic. I really think a line of Jensen Schroeder Kassian could be great in a few years. It reminds me a lot of the WCE ... i mean those guys have the potential to be interchangeable with the original pieces. Kassian is exactly what someone like Schroeder needs, a big tough body to allow a smaller player space to set up someone like Jensen, who is starting to look like a steal. We will see if his game translates to the NHL, but I don't understand why people are not stoked about how well he is doing this year.

And it sounds like we have a ton of college talent on the D line that could make it. Good things being said about Corrado Price and McNally too ... we could have a D corps that is 10 deep going into the playoffs in a few years. I hope McN goes to the Wolves ... I mean cheating on a crap course ... and its says plagiarized his paper... who knows what that means ...

Then we have Gaunce and Mallet from this years class. Neither is doing much right now, but we could end up with a steal in Mallet, a real annoying guy to play against. Maybe neither makes it, who knows.

Old
12-12-2012, 08:35 PM
14s incisor

Quote:

There are other bright spots....unless you're stat scouting...

Closed Thread