HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Max Pacioretty can't pay bills, apparently

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-01-2012, 10:59 AM
  #51
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
He is from one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the USA and he went to a ridiculously expensive boarding school. He made over a million dollars last year and made decent money in the AHL. He is also still making money, playing in Switzerland

He is married to a professional tennis player and just signed a 27 million dollar contract.

Some of these off season threads are horrendous
He signed a contract he isn't getting money for yet, and I don't think Katia Afinogenova can pay many bills. I agree he probably has some cash, but I doubt he's got a big cushion to fall on until his new contract kicks in.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 12:02 PM
  #52
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,479
vCash: 500
I tried calling him to ask whats going on about this however looks like he did not make his payment for his phone bill as the line is cut

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:52 PM
  #53
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,288
vCash: 500
Watch the Espn doc called "Broke" if you think this can't be possible.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 03:33 PM
  #54
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
In Canada you are taxed based on residency, regardless of where you earn the income. Technically he's paying taxes in Canada AND in the USA when he plays there, but the USA and Canada have a tax treaty so anything he pays in taxes here covers the tax he pays in the USA.

Any Canadian resident will pay Canadian taxes on all income earned worldwide.
What if you don't reside in Canada?

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 04:52 PM
  #55
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 10,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
What if you don't reside in Canada?
Everybody panic?

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 08:55 PM
  #56
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1
 
HarlemsFinest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
hanging with darren mccarty too much

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 02:05 AM
  #57
S Bah
Registered User
 
S Bah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: victoria bc
Country: Wales
Posts: 5,156
vCash: 500
Everybody calm down I'm starting a Max Pac Charity for the Needy Construction Company's that are out of work at Christmas and can't afford gifts for their children.

S Bah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 08:38 AM
  #58
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Everybody calm down I'm starting a Max Pac Charity for the Needy Construction Company's that are out of work at Christmas and can't afford gifts for their children.
I can probably afford to spare that change on my desk. Theres 2.13$ but I'll keep the 1$ piece and two 25cent (for coffee tommorow, a higher purpose), so make that 63 cents! I can throw it 10 american cents as well.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 12:51 PM
  #59
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
What if you don't reside in Canada?
If you are physically in Canada for more than 182 days a year, you count as a resident.

If you do not reside in Canada you pay Canadian taxes on all income earned in Canada, as well as taxes of your country of residency on all income earned worldwide (including income from Canada).

__________________
Yours in Christ,

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 05:41 PM
  #60
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
If you are physically in Canada for more than 182 days a year, you count as a resident.

If you do not reside in Canada you pay Canadian taxes on all income earned in Canada, as well as taxes of your country of residency on all income earned worldwide (including income from Canada).
It's important to highlight that if you're no longer a Canadian resident (but are still a citizen), then you don't pay taxes to the Canadian gov't at all (unless, of course, you've made some income in Canada).

(this doesn't contradict what you said at all, waffledave. I just wanted to highlight that you're not 'trapped' as a Canadian!)

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 06:10 PM
  #61
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
(this doesn't contradict what you said at all, waffledave. I just wanted to highlight that you're not 'trapped' as a Canadian!)
Say that to to some Quebecers and they might disagree with you on that one...

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 10:37 PM
  #62
VL55
Registered User
 
VL55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanasianfrasian View Post
A legal mortgage means that if Max ever sells that house, then the owed company has rights to refund themselves with part, or all of the money made from the sale.

as long as he keeps the house, the legal mortgage is just background noise.
It's not just noise. I heard of no legal proceedings, so it means Max and the contractor are still negotiating. But if the negotiations are deadlocked, sonner or later this goes to court.

Max is still young, so overspending to the point where he can't make payment after missing 4 paycheck is not outlandish. Even if he saved money, it's likely tied down. But it's at least as likely he ain't happy with the work done and is playing hardball with the contractor. More like 70/30 in favor of the dispute, I'd say.

VL55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:51 AM
  #63
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best
 
Aspirine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
ah stop breaking the party! It was much more entertaining imagining max as a bum on the street with a charity to finance his secret house building addiction.
lmao!

Aspirine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:44 AM
  #64
Uber Coca
Registered User
 
Uber Coca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
In Canada you are taxed based on residency, regardless of where you earn the income. Technically he's paying taxes in Canada AND in the USA when he plays there, but the USA and Canada have a tax treaty so anything he pays in taxes here covers the tax he pays in the USA.

Any Canadian resident will pay Canadian taxes on all income earned worldwide.
Right.

I'm pretty sure he's not paying 50% of his income in taxes because of his charity, unless he doesn't have an accountant, which is doubtful.

Also, you really can't rely on the media to give you the whole story.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:55 AM
  #65
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab
 
The Gal Pals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VL55 View Post
It's not just noise. I heard of no legal proceedings, so it means Max and the contractor are still negotiating. But if the negotiations are deadlocked, sonner or later this goes to court.

Max is still young, so overspending to the point where he can't make payment after missing 4 paycheck is not outlandish. Even if he saved money, it's likely tied down. But it's at least as likely he ain't happy with the work done and is playing hardball with the contractor. More like 70/30 in favor of the dispute, I'd say.
Is there any proof this has anything to do with Patches not be able to pay? The more likely scenario is that Patches and his wife are withholding payment or making a deduction from the amount owed because of apparent defects or poor workmanship (art. 2111 Civil Code of Quebec).

And there are no legal proceedings because it is likely that the construction company has not even published the legal hypothec yet. Usually they only have 30 days to take out a legal hypothec after the completion of the works to safeguard their rights on the property for the work done (articles 2724(2), 2726 and 2727 Civil Code of Quebec). It's not uncommon for this to happen since the company has such a small window of opportunity to safeguard their rights in the property. Thereafter, they have 6 months to publish the hypothec in order to give it effect. Once it is published, Patches will have to go to court to have it removed or pay the amount owing. If the construction company was in the wrong they'll have to pay damages and cover Patches legal fees.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.