HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Chicago Wolves Discussion - Part VI

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Friesen had a good game and looks more reliable than Mallet. Mallet seems to have more game but Friesen looks a little safer. Way Arneil played them certainly seems his opinion anyways. Long term I like Mallet better but right now for the Wolves, Friesen might be the better way to go.
Question is whether Friesen can keep this up. Before he got scratched, Friesen was playing quite a bit worse than Mallet and was constantly making mistakes defensively. Was this a game where he felt like he needed to prove himself after being a healthy scratch for so long and so he left it all out there? Can he do that every night?

Old
12-01-2012, 10:02 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Changes in this game worked well. Maybe a wake up call for some players.

Far as I concerned Sauve needs to be gone now. Blain is better, Anyone might be better. Sauve has been looking Ellington II. Every game Sauve screws up much of the cohesion and the team was clearly better in its own end with him out. Did not see them missing Connauton tonite and that is really sad to say.

Thought both Tanev and Joslin were very good and Climie was excellent.

Can start the "what have we got in Archibald" thread. Played intelligently and again strong along the boards. Gives you the size you need and showed some nice hands again. There are some skating issues here but getting there and being big when he does. Could easily have had two goals tonite if he has a second longer in the first.

Like DesBiens in this game. Very good in his end in getting the puck out and strong forecheck. Showed leadership in this game. Ebbet also better but needed to score on those breakaways.

Rodin was a ton better despite not making some good choices with the puck. Game like this shows his talent and tenacity but he needs to get himself into a situation where he can better exploit what he does have.

One thing you have to wonder is how a player like Kassian will reacts to the situation. He has more talent than Archibald but he needs to watch how Archibald is playing within a team concept and to be more consistent in his effort.

Friesen had a good game and looks more reliable than Mallet. Mallet seems to have more game but Friesen looks a little safer. Way Arneil played them certainly seems his opinion anyways. Long term I like Mallet better but right now for the Wolves, Friesen might be the better way to go.
It`s interesting to see the way they played after the coach shook up the team like that. Maybe there was some truth to what Ted Gruber was saying about the team not responding to Arneil?

Old
12-01-2012, 10:07 PM
orcatown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Question is whether Friesen can keep this up. Before he got scratched, Friesen was playing quite a bit worse than Mallet and was constantly making mistakes defensively. Was this a game where he felt like he needed to prove himself after being a healthy scratch for so long and so he left it all out there? Can he do that every night?
Frankly I don't think so. Friesen has to work his butt off jut to stay in the play. Pretty hard to sustain that kind of effort. Right now he is strictly a defensive player and might be helpful in that role at the AHL level. However, most of the time with him out, the Wolves are scrambling in their own zone. However, tonite at least Friesen did a good job in that role and in winning the face-offs. Mallet coverage isn't as good and Mallett is more prone to bad turnovers. Both are hanging on by there finger nails at this level.

Old
12-01-2012, 10:09 PM
roach9

Why wasn't Kassian playing?

Old
12-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Wisp

Well, I don't agree with the decision of scratching them, but I bet they come out fired up next time. Bet it's good for them.

Old
12-01-2012, 11:04 PM
orcatown

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post
Just seems like straight forward benching

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,2551261.story

Interesting that captain Haydar was included. Played bad all season and thoroughly deserved but a major statement here.

To me, Kassian needs to get a wake-up call now and then. Far too much indiscipline play. Needs to stick to his knitting and get in sync with his team mates. Too much of his play are one-offs. He does something (and maybe does it well) but then goes into coast mode. Too much posturing instead of just hard nosed hockey. See him dinking around with the puck and trying to make too many cute plays. What we are seeing from Archibald is a player who wants to get the puck in deep and then work the the opponent in their own end. That should be Kassian bread and butter.

Old
12-01-2012, 11:08 PM
tedgruber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
Wolves were a bad choice for an affiliate team. They don't care about the Canuck prospects developing at all.
This is a whole topic I can devote my time to (which I won't).

Was a good win against a worse off team full of defenseman.

I still don't have my trust back in to Arniel.

A lot of people are wondering if Wendell goes but I don't think he does because of his loyalty to the team.

But 4 years and haven't seen anything close to a comparison of Chevy.

Old
12-02-2012, 02:24 AM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post
Because Arniel is a chump. He is coaching like AV during 2007-08 season. Arniel don't give a crap about our prospects at all. Favouring chumps like Ebbet, Longpre, Haydar everytime. CBJ fired this prospect killer for a reason I see..

Old
12-02-2012, 02:35 AM
Wisp

I'm not a fan of Arniel's, but assuming our prospects are always blameless annoys me to no end.

Old
12-02-2012, 03:36 AM
Canuckee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbows of Bure View Post
I've only done a cursory amount of research on Blain. He's 20, right-handed shot, was suspended for a racist comment, and wasn't signed by the Oilers.

Does anyone think that Gillis & Co have their eyes on this guy, or was he a purely Chicago pickup?
He was invited to our camp in the summer and stood out from what I remember.

Old
12-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Orca Smash

vCash: 50
Article by ben kuzma, def sounds like they got benched due to there play?

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/12...atch-top-guns/

Old
12-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
Article by ben kuzma, def sounds like they got benched due to there play?

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/12...atch-top-guns/
Doesn't seem to have any quotes and sounds like speculation to me.

I mean: "The continuous knock on the diminutive centre is that he needs to get to scoring areas, stay there and finish." — what does that have to do with anything when he's leading the Wolves in goals? I suppose Arniel might be holding them to a higher standard, but that still doesn't explain the top treatment that Ebbett, Longpre, etc. have received this season despite their poor play.

Anyway, hopefully this makes them work even harder.

Old
12-02-2012, 10:51 AM
valkyrie42ca

Maybe it's preparing them for the next level cause u know they will get benched after one misplay.

Old
12-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Nuck This

Quote:
Doesn't seem to have any quotes and sounds like speculation to me.

I mean: "The continuous knock on the diminutive centre is that he needs to get to scoring areas, stay there and finish." what does that have to do with anything when he's leading the Wolves in goals? I suppose Arniel might be holding them to a higher standard, but that still doesn't explain the top treatment that Ebbett, Longpre, etc. have received this season despite their poor play.

Anyway, hopefully this makes them work even harder.
I don't like Kuzma that much.

Old
12-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
What happened to Darren Haydar anyway? The guy used to be a surefire PPG player in the AHL and he hasn't got a goal all year.

Old
12-02-2012, 01:56 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
Because Arniel is a chump. He is coaching like AV during 2007-08 season. Arniel don't give a crap about our prospects at all. Favouring chumps like Ebbet, Longpre, Haydar everytime. CBJ fired this prospect killer for a reason I see..
Please, show your maturity and age more...

May I present:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=784126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub View Post
Noooooooooooo.......It's great for Arniel, but bad for the Canucks. I wanted Alain Vignault fired and replaced by Arniel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforhockey View Post
Good for Arniel,good for CBJ........ too bad for Van organization,he was a good coach for our young guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
The best coach available, he is gonna be great
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet* View Post
I enjoyed seeing him as our coach, amazing coach, especially to Cory Schneider, made underdogs good such as Desbien, Rosa, Jaffray, Moran, Edler, Hansen and Such. Also lead the Moose to the Calder Cup finals last year. But great fit for Columbus, sad to see him go but good for him.

I know Thomas Steen wanted to be head coach of the Moose, that was a rumor I heard, other than that I don't know who will replace him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Yeah, I was definitely leaning in that direction myself.

GL, Scott. You did a great job with our young'uns in Winterpeg. And now you're off to another organization.

Dammit.
Consensus seems to have been that he was great with youngsters and was considered as best coach available a couple years ago. What's your excuse now? He benched our two "star" prospects and it made you upset?

Want more?

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1213557

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I agree. Some of our prospects took their games to a new level under him before. He is welcome back with open arms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Great hire if true. Always liked Arniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
Arniel works with young kids better. I'd rather he be the guy to bring up our prospects than a guy like MacT.

Old
12-02-2012, 01:58 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 1512
I liked the hiring but the way he's been handling some situations it sure seems like a mistake each game.

Old
12-02-2012, 02:31 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stovepipe Cup View Post
Consensus seems to have been that he was great with youngsters and was considered as best coach available a couple years ago. What's your excuse now? He benched our two "star" prospects and it made you upset?
He has been criticized since game 4 or 5 of this season. Him benching Kassian and Schroeder has nothing to do with it. I'm pretty sure you're not even a Canucks fan, what do you want here?

Old
12-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Wisp

People want to absolve the prospects, blame the Coach.

Still don't like the coach but that's what people here are doing.

Old
12-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Kadri got sat, and he has been on a tear since.

Old
12-02-2012, 03:59 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
I liked the hiring but the way he's been handling some situations it sure seems like a mistake each game.
Pretty much this.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:57 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:
He has been criticized since game 4 or 5 of this season. Him benching Kassian and Schroeder has nothing to do with it. I'm pretty sure you're not even a Canucks fan, what do you want here?
I've been on this site and in the Canucks section 5 years longer than you have. I'm here to provide the devils advocate instead of blind sensationalism that it's always the coaches fault. It's a faulty argument that fans enjoy latching on to when in actuality, is very rarely the truth.

Old
12-02-2012, 06:25 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Maybe Arniel changed his approach? I dunno. While CBJ is a known cluster**** young guys didn't make much headway with him in charge.

Old
12-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
On D, the prospects other than Tanev are weak and there's no continuity among the vets. this affects the forwards' productivity.

Mallet - doesn't look like a center to me, more like a power forward. Also, going from the Q to AHL is a big step in terms of hockey systems and overall quality.

Old
12-02-2012, 07:18 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
On D, the prospects other than Tanev are weak and there's no continuity among the vets. this affects the forwards' productivity.

Mallet - doesn't look like a center to me, more like a power forward. Also, going from the Q to AHL is a big step in terms of hockey systems and overall quality.
He reminds me a little of a guy like Lapierre, I like him a lot, but have no thought at this point of him being much more than a quality fourth line center, maybe third line on a bad team.

Closed Thread