HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2012, 12:37 AM
Dada

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
Agreed. If Mantha is on you draft list, Gauthier and Carrier should be in the same range, or at least in the 25-40 range.
Wonder how Gauthier will perform in his second LHJMQ season, compared to the 2 others

Old
12-01-2012, 12:02 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dada View Post
Wonder how Gauthier will perform in his second LHJMQ season, compared to the 2 others
I'm hoping that knowing he was drafted by the Habs will improve his game immensely.

Old
12-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
Guys I was wondering if you'd consider using a lpick on Marcoux. He's putting some pretty good stats as a 19 year old and he's pretty much the best goalie in the Q right now. Delmas and Mayer aren't working out and if Desjardins is playing good enough he'll probably take Budaj's place in Montreal and Marcoux will have it easy in the AHL in the beginning.

Edit: He also one of 3 goalies in the CHL that has a GAA less than 2 and out of those 3 goalies, he's the one with the most starts. He also has the best SV% in the Q.
I don't think I'd use a pick, but consider signing him if he goes unpicked. Wasn't he in the summer camp? The team will have an opinion, at least.

Old
12-01-2012, 04:01 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Wasn't he in the summer camp? The team will have an opinion, at least.
Yes he was. And did not stand out.

BLB is a very strong team, I think Marcoux's numbers have a lot to do with the quality of the team.

And I'll a few times if we move Galchenyuk fulltime on the wing to play with Barkov. When you have a chance to build a ridiculous 1-2 punch down the middle, you let it happen.

Last edited by Marc the Habs Fan: 12-01-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old
12-01-2012, 07:41 PM
MaxLacoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

BLB is a very strong team, I think Marcoux's numbers have a lot to do with the quality of the team.

And I'll a few times if we move Galchenyuk fulltime on the wing to play with Barkov. When you have a chance to build a ridiculous 1-2 punch down the middle, you let it happen.
Yeah, but the coach will always have the option to play them together. Marian Hossa was draft as a center but played wing most of his NHL career. And his coaches always had the option to put him at center when needed. Anyway, before dreaming about Barkov and Galchenyuk on the same line/team, let's see where we draft and what kind of player we can get.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:56 PM
NateTheGr8

vCash: 291
Gets second overall pick, who do you get? Jones or Barkov.

I was asked this question by a friend, and i didn't know how to answer him.

Jones is just by far the best D in the draft, love to see Jones-Subban.

and Barkov is such a talented forward, love to have this guy on the team. Few years you might see Gally and Barkov on a line.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallyisabeaut View Post
Gets second overall pick, who do you get? Jones or Barkov.

I was asked this question by a friend, and i didn't know how to answer him.

Jones is just by far the best D in the draft, love to see Jones-Subban.

and Barkov is such a talented forward, love to have this guy on the team. Few years you might see Gally and Barkov on a line.
IMO, Jones is the undisputed #2 player of the draft, but for the Habs, we need a guy like Barkov more than a guy like Jones. Can't go wrong with either of them.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Et le But

I would both love and hate to have that decision.

Old
12-01-2012, 09:22 PM
RJQuack

Quote:

I don't think his stats are fully a product of the team that's in front of him.... BLB didn't have as good as they did last year and his Sv% was still one of the best in the league and his GAA was alright too.

His GAA is great this year, but his SV% is something he has to control more than the team in front of him... That being said it's #1 in the Q.

Old
12-01-2012, 10:09 PM
JAVO16

Barkov, without a doubt. What he's doing at a pro level in Finland is unheard of for player that is only days away from being in the 2014 draft. He's huge. He has incredible hands. His hockey sense is off the chart which enables him to also be very good defensively since he seems to care about winning (not a stats ***** to use gamer terms). Haven't been this excited about a prospect ever. We need that guy. I'll be really disappointed when don't manage to draft him though...

Old
12-02-2012, 12:54 AM
DAChampion

Assuming the most likely scenario, that the Habs get the ~20th overall pick, I believe that the following is a realistic package for the 2nd or 3rd overall pick:

To Montreal:
2nd overall or 3rd overall

Away from Montreal
20th overall, or whatever the 2013 1st rounder is within that range
All 3 2nd rounders
2014 1st rounder
David Desharnais

or

Tomas Plekanec

or

PK Subban
Any two 2nd rounders

or

Nathan Beaulieu or Jarrod Tinordi or Louis Leblanc
Any two 2nd rounders

That's probably not enough? But I'd like input.

Old
12-02-2012, 01:42 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
Barkov, without a doubt. What he's doing at a pro level in Finland is unheard of for player that is only days away from being in the 2014 draft. He's huge. He has incredible hands. His hockey sense is off the chart which enables him to also be very good defensively since he seems to care about winning (not a stats ***** to use gamer terms). Haven't been this excited about a prospect ever. We need that guy. I'll be really disappointed when don't manage to draft him though...
Barkov is the better player between MacKinnon and him at Center,Jones the best defenceman handily,Drouin the best LW and Shinkaruk the best RW.IMO the top spot is between Jones/Barkov for 1A/1B then between MacKinnon/Drouin for 2A/2B with Drouin still rising,whether he can join the talk for #1 overall is still an open book.The WJHC's should really be the telling factor,I just hope they all are given the opportunity for the fans to watch them all in competition against each other.It will make the WJHC's the biggest & best ever for the fans around the world,I have to remember Lindholm may open everyone's eyes and Sweden could win.Finland has quite a few players vying for the first round of the draft also and Barkov could lead their team to Gold!

Old
12-02-2012, 04:44 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
I don't think his stats are fully a product of the team that's in front of him.... BLB didn't have as good as they did last year and his Sv% was still one of the best in the league and his GAA was alright too.

His GAA is great this year, but his SV% is something he has to control more than the team in front of him... That being said it's #1 in the Q.
He's a good goalie, but to me Fucale is the best goaltender in the league.

Old
12-02-2012, 06:29 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Assuming the most likely scenario, that the Habs get the ~20th overall pick, I believe that the following is a realistic package for the 2nd or 3rd overall pick:

To Montreal:
2nd overall or 3rd overall

Away from Montreal
All 3 2nd rounders
2014 1st rounder
David Desharnais

or

Tomas Plekanec

or

PK Subban
Any two 2nd rounders

or

Nathan Beaulieu or Jarrod Tinordi or Louis Leblanc
Any two 2nd rounders

That's probably not enough? But I'd like input.
Please stop.

Old
12-02-2012, 06:49 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Please stop.
This.

On another note, saw Mantha, Dunn and Murphy play in Sherbrooke last night.

It wasn't the best night for the Foreurs to say the least, but even in defeat I thought Mantha fared pretty good. His reach coupled with his mitts make him a hard player to check, and when he's on the ice there's most of the time something happening. Definitely a shooter first, but he has a pretty darn good vision too. Could have scored at least a couple of times yesterday, and were it not for the poor showing of the Foreurs goalies, it could've been a different game(that's how bad the Phoenix is ).

Dunn could be a sleeper pick as he has decent wheels and a good upside offensively.

Liked Murphy, love the fact that he tries things offensively, big kid I wouldn't mind the habs snag at the draft. 3rd round option?

My biggest surprise last night was definitely 2014 draft prospect Aubé-Kubel, very good hands, good hockey sense, decent size and lots of confidence with the puck for a 16 year old.

Oh and I couldn't say enough good things about Neill, but I don't want to sound homer haha

Last edited by QuebecPride: 12-02-2012 at 06:56 AM.
Old
12-02-2012, 07:16 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

A couple of vague questions.

If we keep all our 2nd rounders, there isn't a lockout and we draft somewhere between 15-20; what are the chances that we can draft better forwards than we did this past draft? Keeping in mind that I'm sure other teams are targeting forwards since a lot of first rounders were D men.

Also does the high end talent run far enough into the 2nd round that would make it worthwhile enough to keep our 2nd rounders as opposed to dealing them for a Barkov, if a deal such as that was on the table?

Old
12-02-2012, 07:35 AM
Fozz

According to all experts, this is an exceptionally deep draft with first round material going deep into the 2nd round. I'd keep all those 2nd rounders.

Old
12-02-2012, 08:48 AM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by makbowles View Post
A couple of vague questions.

If we keep all our 2nd rounders, there isn't a lockout and we draft somewhere between 15-20; what are the chances that we can draft better forwards than we did this past draft? Keeping in mind that I'm sure other teams are targeting forwards since a lot of first rounders were D men.

Also does the high end talent run far enough into the 2nd round that would make it worthwhile enough to keep our 2nd rounders as opposed to dealing them for a Barkov, if a deal such as that was on the table?
A 15th-20th pick can get us Mantha, Erne, Burakovsky, Dickinson or Nichushkin. Trading to get Barkov, Monahan, Drouin or Lindholm would probably have to be top 6 and the team in that spot would need to be overpayed to let them go. The only player that I would be wiling to trade to is Shinkaruk. For some reason he is dropping. MacKinnon, Jones, Barkov, Monahan, Drouin, Lindholm, Risto and maybe Pulock will go before him. Maybe Lazar can pass him too. A 15th-20th pick, a 2nd and decent prospect(Ellis?) for a 8th pick to the right team might make sense.

Other than that, I dont think trading 2nds in a deep draft makes much sense. In the 2nd, forwards like Hartman, Duclair, Compher, Camarata, Sorenson, Carrier and Petan are available. On D, Subban, McCoshen and Roy and in nets, Comrie and Martin. I think that would be a great draft.

Imagine getting Erne, Carrier, Roy and Comrie/Martin in the first 2 rounds.

Old
12-02-2012, 09:02 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Keep the 3 2nd rounders..

Timmins is magic in the 2nd round.

Old
12-02-2012, 09:43 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
The Barkov hype is getting a bit out of control around here. Several of you seem certain he's better than MacKinnon. Really?

It's not unheard for a draft eligible player to put up good numbers in the SM-liiga. Grandlund, Armia, Teravainen, etc all did it in the last 3 draft classes. The teams in that league seem to trust their kids a lot more than SEL teams do.

Now Barkov is an extremely young player for his draft and he's doing it in a lockout year with several NHLers in that league, which is an excellent sign, but there has to be a reason why the majority of the scouting world sees him as the 3rd-6th pick while MacKinnon is 1st or 2nd.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd be ecstatic to get Barkov. But I'd be even happier to get MacKinnon. Heh.

Old
12-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Et le But

Quote:
The Barkov hype is getting a bit out of control around here. Several of you seem certain he's better than MacKinnon. Really?

It's not unheard for a draft eligible player to put up good numbers in the SM-liiga. Grandlund, Armia, Teravainen, etc all did it in the last 3 draft classes. The teams in that league seem to trust their kids a lot more than SEL teams do.

Now Barkov is an extremely young player for his draft and he's doing it in a lockout year with several NHLers in that league, which is an excellent sign, but there has to be a reason why the majority of the scouting world sees him as the 3rd-6th pick while MacKinnon is 1st or 2nd.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd be ecstatic to get Barkov. But I'd be even happier to get MacKinnon. Heh.
The thing is, Barkov is doing better than the three examples you gave. Players have come close, but none have held on to a PPG pace for this long. The closest I think was Granlund, someone who I think is going to be great in the NHL too.

Not to mention Granlund, Armia and Teravainen are (or at least was, Granlund worked on his defense after being drafted) one way players who aren't physical at all. None of them came close to regular PK time.

I'm not saying Barkov is a better prospect than Mackinnon. Mackinnon will probably go 1st overall. But what Barkov is doing impresses me more than the numbers Mackinnon and Drouin put up in the Q. If some of us are overrating him for that, you are underrating him for being Finnish. Armia was a guy whose draft pedigree slipped, Teravainen only got serious hype after a great playoff performance, and Granlund, while very hyped by Finnish fans, was if anything underrated by North Americans for being undersized. He had 12 points in 8 games in the AHL before going down.

Old
12-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Oan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
The thing is, Barkov is doing better than the three examples you gave. Players have come close, but none have held on to a PPG pace for this long. The closest I think was Granlund, someone who I think is going to be great in the NHL too.

Not to mention Granlund, Armia and Teravainen are (or at least was, Granlund worked on his defense after being drafted) one way players who aren't physical at all. None of them came close to regular PK time.
This. Barkov is much, much more complete player than Granlund, Armia, Teravainen or any finnish prospect before at the age of 17. And add to that his ppg numbers, no one has ever before been able to keep up such a pace this long before draft either.

Old
12-02-2012, 10:42 AM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Keep the 3 2nd rounders..

Timmins is magic in the 2nd round.
This.

Old
12-02-2012, 10:54 AM
MaxLacoste

I think too we should keep all our 2nd rounders. As said before, there's a lot of talent in this draft and there will be a lot of players with Top 6 foward/Top 4 defenseman potential. With three 2nd round pick, we can make 2 safe pick and one long shot pick. The pick from Calgary have a good chance to be between 31 and 40, giving us the opportunity to pick a guy forgot in the first round (Like we did with Collberg). Guys like Duclair, Sorensen, Mantha, Carrier, Subban and Gauthier have a chance to go to 2nd round. Timmins has a good touch in the second round, so I'll let have the chance to play with those pick. We could get a much needed depth in our system. The 2013 second round will provide 1st line upside, good 2nd-3rd line two-way fowards and intriguing defensemen. I know it's a good idea to let Timmins fish in that kind of water.

Old
12-02-2012, 10:57 AM
JAVO16

Quote:

There's a difference between good numbers (Armia-0.6ppg and Teravainen-0.45ppg) and great numbers( Grandlund-0.93ppg and Barkov-1ppgg). Now, a lot of people believe Granlund is in the discussion for best player out of the NHL and Barkov is doing better than Granlund was doing in his draft year while being younger,bigger, better defensively and, as you said, in a better league juiced up with NHLers.

Also, the majority of the scouting world isn't a very good argument in november because a lot of scout form an opinion at the WJC or later on in the year on euro prospects (all you need to think of is the rise of Teravainen last year).

Anyways, from my point of view,all you need to do is reverse the names in your last sentence so it's not like it would hard to come to terms with picking MacKinnon, Jones, Lindholm, Drouin or Monahan.

Closed Thread