HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > IIHF World Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
IIHF World Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Game times to kill Canadian WJC buzz? (TSN's broadcast schedule)

Old
12-02-2012, 07:53 AM
Statsy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
For online streams?
Man, it must suck to be you guys! LOL. TSN showed just about every game in the tournament last year and it's unfortunate if you don't get that on TV.

As for those complaining about the late/early game times, it's all about your commitment level. My old place of work knew my level of devotion to this tournament. I would book it off for vacation every year or fix the work schedule around it. I once worked a split shift where I went home for three hours in the middle of the day to watch hockey. How cool is that?

Statsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 08:09 AM
JAS 39 Gripen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Heard a TSN employee speak. Things he said:

-Games will be re-played in prime time later That night
-Website will offer a "no spoiler" option that doesn't give away the score
-News on Facebook will still be posted.
-Realize ratings will be lower
-They're branding it as "only true Canadians watch that late/early"
I find that comment interesting

JAS 39 Gripen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 08:19 AM
Statsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS 39 Gripen View Post
I find that comment interesting
Just for the record, they mean only the true fans among the Canadians. They're not saying you have to be Canadian to be a true fan. Understand?

Old
12-02-2012, 08:26 AM
JAS 39 Gripen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statsy View Post
Just for the record, they mean only the true fans among the Canadians. They're not saying you have to be Canadian to be a true fan. Understand?
yup I can read, thx.

JAS 39 Gripen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 08:34 AM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
For online streams?
Hockeystreams.com.

Pretty sure the games are archived.

If you dont have a tv with a pvr, or access to one, and you dont have a credit card or access to one, then you deserve to have to get up in the middle of the night. Maybe tsn will archive the games online?

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 09:06 AM
EbencoyE

these are my favorite types of threads: when Canadians realize the hockey world doesn't revolve around them.

what, they're playing hockey in Russia?! THE HORROR

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 10:23 AM
BomaLightDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Yup, sure sucks they can't make the teams play in the middle of the night in Russia to please the Canadian tv audiences...
Good one...

BomaLightDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:24 AM
tourlord*

I have a feeling that this is all subject to change but I could be wrong.

tourlord* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:38 AM
joe89

I'm gonna miss the tournament being in NA. Nothing beats late night hockey on New Year's Eve. Russia also means a little more extreme times than the tournament being in Central Europe even for us, NA East cost is -6, Yekaterinburg is +5.. Sweden will play every group game at 1pm, and the earliest games are 8.30am. But no time slot is too extreme for this tournament IMO.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:46 AM
habsrule4eva3089

Don't think it will kill the buzz everyone still talks about it but it just won't be viewed by those who'll go to work and for the casual sports fan. I love boxing day during WJC time, it's packed with folks in the mall wearing their Team Canada sweaters, looks like a gathering to watch the game. But hey, it's preparation for Sochi as well since i'm guessing we'll have to get up to watch games around that time as well.

habsrule4eva3089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Or, you know, those who have work and/or school.

It's absolutely stupid to hold this tournament outside of North America when you consider revenues and who ultimately cares about the results.
That's the spirit! It shouldn't be about fair competition, just piling up cash money. Ideally, the tournament should be limited to two teams: Canada and the United States (based on the premise that if Canada is in the tournament, there would have to be at least one other team so that they could actually play games). That way there would be no time zone issues, and Canadian fans wouldn't have to stay up late or get up early to watch live action. Its downright criminal for the IIHF to allow European teams to enter the tournament, thereby interfering with Canadian sleep patterns and suppressing the cash flow. I've alway said that the best thing about hockey is the love of money.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Atas2000

Quote:

It's absolutely stupid to hold this tournament outside of North America when you consider revenues and who ultimately cares about the results.
That's the attitude that makes me want them to black out the games for you. Arrogance^3

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
Or just stay up become an owl
That's the plan.

Sartorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourlord View Post
I have a feeling that this is all subject to change but I could be wrong.
Yeah, first change to make. Never have these WJC tounaments in NA again. NA fans are not worth it if they start whining about time zones. Haven't read a single post from europeans like that in all past years.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 12:55 PM
tourlord*

Regardless of what time these games start I'll be watching. The WJC and March Madness are two tournaments I can't go without.

tourlord* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 01:56 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
I dont think it will kill the buzz.. Watching hockey at night is pretty epic actually, it's just a short tournament aswell.. not an entire season like during the NHL.. I think you will do fine =)

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Spinkis

Quote:

Quote:
JVM-finals Sweden-Russia attracted an average of 500,000 viewers, with a peak of 600,000 at the end of the broadcast. JVM finale broadcast on SVT1, starting at 2:00am the night of Friday, January 6.
-http://swehockey.se/Startsidesnyheter/2011/December2011/TVsJVM-tittarsiffror/

this is equal to 2266666 Canadian viewers

Spinkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Fulcrum

This will for sure reduce the number of drop-in casual hockey fans and band wagoners. True hockey fans will still get up early enough to watch their team during holidays, not like there's a lot of work, or even any school during these times.

I thought it was funny to hear last year from our receptionist at work about some fine hockey observations on how that Russian Captain guy was extremely rude young man and had no manners (Kuznetsov last year). Also had the pizza delivery guy tell me how Canada dominated because of their ' aggressive shooting style' the year before I was like HUH? Too much Pierre McGuire maybe?

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
This will for sure reduce the number of drop-in casual hockey fans and band wagoners. True hockey fans will still get up early enough to watch their team during holidays, not like there's a lot of work, or even any school during these times.

I thought it was funny to hear last year from our receptionist at work about some fine hockey observations on how that Russian Captain guy was extremely rude young man and had no manners (Kuznetsov last year). Also had the pizza delivery guy tell me how Canada dominated because of their ' aggressive shooting style' the year before I was like HUH? Too much Pierre McGuire maybe?
I recall that the crowds in Calgary took offense to Kuzya's post-goal celebrations, and thereafter booed him every time he stepped on the ice. Not as badly as the Vancouver fans booed Jack Johnson of the US in 2006, however.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
2:30 am for those of us in mountain time? Yayyy
That is just the best time! Love when the tournament is in NA then most of our games start at that time. There is something special to stay up at night to see! I'm still in school though so I'm on christmas break at that time, might () be different if you work

Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 05:39 PM
Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
That's the spirit! It shouldn't be about fair competition, just piling up cash money. Ideally, the tournament should be limited to two teams: Canada and the United States (based on the premise that if Canada is in the tournament, there would have to be at least one other team so that they could actually play games). That way there would be no time zone issues, and Canadian fans wouldn't have to stay up late or get up early to watch live action. Its downright criminal for the IIHF to allow European teams to enter the tournament, thereby interfering with Canadian sleep patterns and suppressing the cash flow. I've alway said that the best thing about hockey is the love of money.
Nah, what would be the fun in that? Every Canadian knows that the WJC is all about defeating Russia. Look how highly regarded Eberle is in Canada because of that goal in 2009.

Oh, and at least Spengler Cup is at a reasonable time for North American fans.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 07:38 PM
67sfan

For those of you not from Canada I'll break down the problem here for you.

You see in our country these days.....it's wrong to tell kids no and not give them everything they want/make them feel special. Because of this...our new generation of hockey fans are "appalled" that the games are not played at a time that is convenient for them because, as you can see, the world revolves around their wants/needs and nothing else.

Please do not let the above posters who are whining about games in Russia not being on primetime here reflect on the real hockey fans of this country.

I for one will be up at 4am every game day to support Canada as I've done in the past and will continue to do so in the future.

For those Canadians who only enjoy the tourney because it's the "cool thing to do" and don't want to wake up to watch....well I say good riddance and the team doesn't need you as a fan.

/rant off

67sfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Statsy

^Agreed! Time to weed out some bandwagonners.

Old
12-02-2012, 07:55 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
This is going to be fun for real. Just gonna have to wake up early and go pick up some Tim Hortons coffee and watch this tourney. Worth getting up for 4am.
I look forward to it. It will be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
Does anyone really think they won't replay the games at reasonable times? My guess is they replay the Canada games at like 6PM the same day the game was played. You have to think with no NHL they will probably replay each Canadian game a few times.

I can't speak for TSN, but NHLnetwork replayed the Subway series games like 5 times for each game because of no NHL. The game was at 6PM, then replayed at 9PM, then replayed at 2AM, then again at 11AM and again at 2 PM.

So I wouldn't worry too much about being able to see the games.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
Some of my fondest hockey memories were waking up at like 5am on school days and watching the '97 WJC games in Geneva and then heading to school (and falling asleep in class by noon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fregus View Post
Getting up in the middle of the night to watch hockey is awesome, it has kind of become a christmas/new year's tradition the recent years and I will sincerely miss it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
Stop complaining about having to deal with it once every four years or so.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 08:31 PM
The Bored Man
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
As a guy who liked this tournament BEFORE it was popular like it is today, I'm kind of glad. It'll weed out a lot of the WJC posers.
I had no idea that there was such a thing as hockey hipsters.

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote