HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Alex Galchenyuk - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2012 draft) (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2012, 11:33 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
Yeah, sometimes it's possible to diminish players' overall contributions to make another look better. Sarault is quite a good player, and gets dismissed because he's an overager. As for Boucher, I don't know. It's great that Galchenyuk can play with someone who is a goal scorer, but I wouldn't consider Boucher to be a 'great' player in his own right. I think he heavily depends on Galchenyuk who creates/sees opportunities and has the ability to get him the puck from pretty unlikely places.
Have you seen Boucher's goal scoring totals with USDP? The guy has a shot that probably ranks 70.

Old
12-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardish View Post
Pretty sure he would have gone first overall if he had put up the same numbers as this year (1,78PPG), as it would mean he would have put up better numbers than Yakupov, while easily being a better 2 way player.

I'm not saying it would have been possible though. Pretty sure Galchenyuk wouldn't have been able to do 1,78PPG last year. That's what I said. But of course you don't know that, since it seems like you can't read clearly.
Being a center I would absolutely take Galchenyuk first overall. Yukupov is electric and may sell more seats (doesn't mean anything in Montreal) but Galchenyuk has the potential to be a Hossa type impact player at center.

Old
12-01-2012, 11:59 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Galchenyuk is a steal at #3. I don't understand how Columbus can pass him up. They desperately need offensive power in front. At that time, Nash rumors were getting even more realistic and he did eventually got traded for absolutely nothing..now they have to rely on who? Dubinsky? Johansen? Brassard? Jenner?
Because Ryan Murray is a stud?

Old
12-02-2012, 12:23 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Yakupov dominated on his own. If Galyenchuk was his center he would have put up much higher numbers as a result .He was at about 2 ppg before injury, with was a CHL record, he could have been around 2.4-2.5 with Galyenchuk. Yakupov would have forsure benefited from Galy playing and his #1 draft pedigree would have been higher and people would be calling him the next crosby (they were call him the next big thing even without Galy)

Ofcourse Galyenchuk would have benefited from playing with Yakupov and probaly would have gaven him a run for his money. But you have to take into account what Yakupovs point totals would have increased by too.
Also if your back dating a players current point totals to the previous year then it can be held that you could take Yakupovs KHL production into account. Since he is putting up better numbers as a rookie then OVY or any russian he would have maintained his #1 spot

Galyenchuk is a special player tho
Not what I meant really.

I am just wondering if Galchenyuks 2012-13 campaign is as/more/less impressive than Yakupovs 2011-12. Pretty impossible to try and imagine what would have happened had they played together.

Old
12-02-2012, 02:13 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Not what I meant really.

I am just wondering if Galchenyuks 2012-13 campaign is as/more/less impressive than Yakupovs 2011-12. Pretty impossible to try and imagine what would have happened had they played together.
well he is a year older now, if your using 212/13 stats youd have to factor in Yaks khlstats too since hes a year older. Impressive none the less, not taking anything away from gally. Just saying its weird to compare different years, ofcourse the latter years stats will be better since they are progressing as players

Old
12-02-2012, 03:19 AM
Hynh

If we're playing the "no injury" card then Yakupov is still number 1 with a bullet.

Fact is, every player taken in the top 5 had an injury to deal with last year. The Oilers might have been more willing to trade down if Galchenyuk was healthy or taken him at #2 if they didn't win the lottery but I think Yakupov was and still is the better prospect.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:47 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
well he is a year older now, if your using 212/13 stats youd have to factor in Yaks khlstats too since hes a year older. Impressive none the less, not taking anything away from gally. Just saying its weird to compare different years, ofcourse the latter years stats will be better since they are progressing as players
Well They are roughly the same age during these years

Old
12-02-2012, 06:13 AM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
Yakupov is only 111 days older than Galchenyuk. Meanwhile, Galchenyuk is 182 days older than Forsberg.

Old
12-02-2012, 10:37 AM
philer Bozel
It's Playoff Time!

Oh man I remember crying and crying when Montreal took Gally. And then to top it off Burke picked a defense man and that's when I really lost my mind. Anyway Gally is going to be a freaking stud sucks Montreal took him. Rielly though now he's going to be freaking amazing.

Old
12-02-2012, 11:24 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
It took Joe Thornton 4 seasons to put up a PPG in the NHL. Is he a beast?
not sure if serious????

not calling Sarrault a scrub at all, but calling him a beast as a 20-21 year old in the OHL is a big big stretch is all I am saying...

Old
12-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hynh View Post
Yakupov is only 111 days older than Galchenyuk. Meanwhile, Galchenyuk is 182 days older than Forsberg.
Yakupov is a year older in ''hockey years'' though.

Old
12-02-2012, 11:37 AM
reffree

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
not sure if serious????

not calling Sarrault a scrub at all, but calling him a beast as a 20-21 year old in the OHL is a big big stretch is all I am saying...
He is a OHL beast no doubt, not sure if serious ?

Old
12-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Yakupov is a year older in ''hockey years'' though.
True, Yakupov had an extra off season compared to Galchenyuk but it's not as if we're comparing Yakupov and MacKinnon, players drafted 1 year apart but born 2 years apart.

Old
12-02-2012, 01:26 PM
SarcazemKadri

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
It took Joe Thornton 4 seasons to put up a PPG in the NHL. Is he a beast?
It actually took Joe Thornton two full seasons, and in his third broke out to over a ppg. However, leading up the the ppg season he had 69 in 82. Not to shabby.

Joe Thornton has ALWAYS been a beast.

Old
12-02-2012, 02:17 PM
reffree

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcazemKadri View Post
It actually took Joe Thornton two full seasons, and in his third broke out to over a ppg. However, leading up the the ppg season he had 69 in 82. Not to shabby.

Joe Thornton has ALWAYS been a beast.
1997-98 Boston Bruins NHL 55 3 4 7
1998-99 Boston Bruins NHL 81 16 25 41
1999-00 Boston Bruins NHL 81 23 37 60 |
2000-01 Boston Bruins NHL 72 37 34 71 |
2001-02 Boston Bruins [A] NHL 66 22 46 68

The guy said Thornton is an NHL beast even if it took him 4 years to be a pts per game player, in response to the guy who said Sarrault wasn't an OHL beast because it took him 4 season to be an elite player in the league.

Old
12-02-2012, 03:13 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
Same hockey years in the OHL and overall. Again not trying to put Gally down, just trying to make comparsions equal. And like the link posted above, Yakupov had injuries in his draft year that slowed down his amazing ppg. I think it would have been interesting if both played full healthy seasons last year

Old
12-02-2012, 04:32 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
YOu only have to take it into consideration if you want to. I am just curious what kind of season Galchenyuk would have needed to be taken first. He didn't play at all an still ended up 3rd so what would he have needed to be 1st?

Old
12-02-2012, 05:24 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
YOu only have to take it into consideration if you want to. I am just curious what kind of season Galchenyuk would have needed to be taken first. He didn't play at all an still ended up 3rd so what would he have needed to be 1st?
I honestly think their production would have been almost similar, with a slight edge to Yakupov. They would play on the same line and feed off of eachother for sure. Yakupov had one more point in the playoffs where Gally came back (granted 0 for 2 in the regular season) after missing all year and I've heard rumbling about him being the best forward on the ice for the Sting in that series.

The answer is in your question, really. He got picked third overall and missed the entire year. Would he have to do a lot to be in consideration for first overall? Probably not. If he had, say, a 1.5 ppg average to Yak's 1.64, I think the Oilers would have given him a serious look.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:33 PM
poetryinmotion

The tear continues, goal nbr. 20 in the early minutes of the first.

http://telly.com/8GDQ8 (credit to Pine in our thread)

Last edited by poetryinmotion: 12-02-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old
12-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Sidnei Crosbov

They weren't kidding when they said that Galchenyuk is a Hossa type of player.

Not only do they look similar in terms of frame, but the way they move on the ice as well as their style is similar.
That steal and move on the first goal

That pass on the first play... That shot on the second one What a release.

I miss NHL hockey

Old
12-02-2012, 09:45 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Nice offensive skill on each goal, but that "steal" was more a case of the opponent screwing up.

Old
12-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Yeah this kid looks like he's going to be real solid.

A shame the Habs drafted him...

Old
12-02-2012, 10:39 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
I hope so.
Hossa sucked against us in the playoffs.

Old
12-02-2012, 10:45 PM
JackFr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
I hope so.
Hossa sucked against us in the playoffs.
Luckily that issue probably won't come up for Galchenyuk

Anyway, I hope this guy can be the star forward Montreal really needs... they haven't had one since Koivu and even that's a stretch. When was the last time a Habs forward was in the top 5-10 players in the league? Might even go back to Lafleur...

Old
12-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Love the chemistry between him and Boucher, and no MTL , you cant have Boucher

Closed Thread