HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2012-2013 AUS Regular Season Thread

Old
11-09-2012, 09:03 PM
FreddtFoyle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
UNB defeated STU 6-1 tonight at Grant-Harvey Ctr. Shots were 43-7 for UNB. STU had 1 shot heading into 3rd period. Tommies look slow and small. To make matters worse, Groenheyde limped off the ice early in the 3rd and didn't look to be in good shape at all....I believe he pulled a muscle on a pad save on the first shot of the 3rd period. He was the best player on the ice for either team tonight or it could have been even uglier. It's going to be a long year for STU.
Turns out Groenheyde was cramping up from dehydration, which is a positive for everyone who enjoyed his performance tonight.

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:08 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
Turns out Groenheyde was cramping up from dehydration, which is a positive for everyone who enjoyed his performance tonight.
I was behind the STU bench and after the trainer came back to the bench after looking at him the first time I seen him say 'cramps' to, I assume, the coaching staff....so shouldn't be anything too serious.

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Rob

UNB 6 STU 1 - Nice feel good win for the Vreds after last Satuday's debacle. Tommies should give Groenheyde Saturday night off.

Acadia 3 SMU 2 - Acadia solidifies first place.

STFX 5 DAL 4 (ot) - Tigers score with 5 seconds left to tie the game. X breaks their losing streat in ot.

UPEI 6 Moncton 3 - Panthers have surprised me this year. Managed to score 6 goals against a good Moncton squad.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 05:11 AM
Archie Jones

UNB Bruins Fan, I honestly feel the UNB players would feel better about a 5 goal winning margin at the end of the night than a 4 goal or less margin after a dominating performance. I don't think the coaches like to give up the last goal usually. No, I wasn't worried about the final outcome but about finishing on a positive note.

You are right about Braes playing the point previously but with someone else on the point it is still a different PP unit.

I could also see your point about rubbing it in with your 1st unit PP if it was the last 2-3 minutes of the game and the score was more lopsided. I have seen that done before by some coaches but Gardiner usually is very aware of the score and the time of the game and gives PP time to the 3rd and 4th lines. I've also seen the 1st units used very late after a dirty hit by the other team.

Archie Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 07:37 AM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Dominating performance by UNB tonight...for much of the game they had more goals than STU had shots. I can't remember the Tommies having anything resembling offensive zone pressure the entire game...the shots they did get were one and done. They just couldn't get the puck and when they did gain control all they could do was skate it up to centre and dump it in, since they were too tired from chasing UNB and had to change.

One gripe I have with UNB is that there was absolutely no reason to have guys like Culligan/Carroll, or 4 forwards/1 defenceman, out there on the power play in a 5-1 game with 6 or 7 minutes left. I can't imagine that going over well in the STU room.

Unrelated....just looking at the other boxscores from around the AUS one thing that stood out was the attendance at the games tonight....1200 for Acadia at SMU (which really surprises me), 972 for Dal at X, 1313 for UPEI at Moncton, and 1772 for UNB at STU. Very nice to see.
If you take away the first game of the season Culligan and Carroll were struggling. They needed the time to work on things

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Archie Jones

It certainly hasn't helped their chemistry with Culligan missing 2 games one weekend when he was too sick to even travel and then when he really only played a few shifts in the 2nd period after taking a blow to the head on the 1st shift against Dal. They've played basically 6 games together this year.

Old
11-10-2012, 05:33 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

St. FX sporting some pretty sweet new jerseys tonight...

Old
11-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Rob

UNB 3 UPEI 2 - Houde-Caron scored the game winner with about 8 minutes left in the third. VReds carried the play for most of the game but the Panthers put up a spirited effort.
They lost a lot of offence from last season but they are a team that you cannot take a night off against. I think that may be what happened to Moncton Friday.

Lacosta in nets for VReds. Parks for the Panthers.

My first time at McClughlan Arena. The place was packed. Nice to see they get great fan support in spite of having a major junior team.

Note: MacDougall went down early in the first and did not return. Denny was in the warm up but did not play.

Last edited by Rob: 11-10-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old
11-10-2012, 08:04 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
My first time at McClughlan Arena. The place was packed. Nice to see they get great fan support in spite of having a major junior team.
Attendance was 1349 according to the boxscore...they seem to be getting a lot more support in recent years.

Old
11-11-2012, 01:10 AM
gleanerguy

Quote:
Attendance was 1349 according to the boxscore...they seem to be getting a lot more support in recent years.
I liked the X jersey the way it was...like the Red Wings or the Canadiens jersey, it's kind of iconic. Haven't seen the new threads. Is there an image anywhere?

gleanerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 01:12 AM
gleanerguy

Oops. Obviously referring to the comment about X's sweet new jerseys...

gleanerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 05:58 AM
Archie Jones

UNB's 1st unit PP might not have changed except for the initial lining up for the faceoff. They use Braes for the faceoff with Culligan on the point. Sometimes they stay that way for a good while and other times the two players switch fairly quickly depending on the play.

After going 4 for 7 on Friday they were 0 for 3 on Saturday. However, so far this year they have been successful 24% of the time.

Old
11-11-2012, 06:46 AM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
I liked the X jersey the way it was...like the Red Wings or the Canadiens jersey, it's kind of iconic. Haven't seen the new threads. Is there an image anywhere?

https://twitter.com/StFXAthletics/st...96860027740161

STUTOMMIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 08:33 AM
AUS Fan

I was at X last night. 1st thing I noticed in warmup was the new throwback sweaters. I really like them.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 08:50 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
I'm assuming it will be a 3rd jersey/once in awhile thing. I can't see them becoming their permanent jerseys.

Old
11-11-2012, 09:02 AM
WilcoxHound

GeeGees Victims of Injury Bug

Ottawa has struggled through it's early season with serious injuries and last night at Western they played with 2 1/2 lines. Managed to keep the score even at 1-1 until the third when fatigue ultimately determined the outcome. Worst of all is that after this weekend there will be a new lineup on Monday at the Doc's office. It doesn't just rain, it pours.

WilcoxHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:55 PM
Rob

UNB 4 Acadia 2 - Vreds win this battle for first place. The game wasn't has intense as I thought it would be but still pretty good. Vreds got a couple of power play goals which was important for them. Culligan got a short handed goal to open the scoring. Carroll with a couple of goals. Not sure the Axemen brought their A game tonight.

Dal 4 UPEI 1 - This score suprised me a little. Panthers outshot Tigers 34-14. Vye was back in nets for the Tigers while Parks took the loss for the Panthers. Probably the biggest win of the year for Dal as they are charing UPEI for that last playoff spot.

STFX 4 Moncton 3 (ot) - Box Score shows that this was a penalty filled game. Bast scored the winner on the power play in overtime. Lemay (who faced over 50 shots against SMU) was in nets for Aigles Blues. Owsley for X. Both rookies have taken over the #1 jobs.

SMU 4 STU 0- Back to back shutouts by the Huskies against the Tommies.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:01 PM
thook

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoxHound View Post
Ottawa has struggled through it's early season with serious injuries and last night at Western they played with 2 1/2 lines. Managed to keep the score even at 1-1 until the third when fatigue ultimately determined the outcome. Worst of all is that after this weekend there will be a new lineup on Monday at the Doc's office. It doesn't just rain, it pours.
That's too bad, I got to see the geegees in Thunder Bay early in the year and they looked really good. I had them with an outside chance to get to the queens cup this year. Against Lakehead of course!

thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 10:26 PM
Rob

UNB 6 Moncton 2 - Vreds jumped out to a quick 4-0 lead in the first. Les Aigles made it interesting with two 5 on 3 power play goals in the second. Vreds scored a couple of power play goals in the thrid to secure the victory. Lemay was pulled in the first after a couple of questionable goals but came back in the second to play the rest of the game. Lacosta imporves to 8-0 on the season.

UPEI 4 STU 3 - Panthers put an end to their losing skid. From the boxscore it looks like the Tommies opened things up getting 35 shots on goal to 42 by the Panthers.

SMU 3 Acadia 2 (so) - Boxscore indicates this was a pretty entertaining game with both sides getting over 40 shots on goal. Huskies have come on strong lately and are now in third place.

STFX 5 Dalhousie 2 - X leapfrogs Les Aigles for fourth place in the AUS.

Old
11-25-2012, 07:33 AM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thook View Post
That's too bad, I got to see the geegees in Thunder Bay early in the year and they looked really good. I had them with an outside chance to get to the queens cup this year. Against Lakehead of course!

AUS Thread?

Old
11-25-2012, 07:37 AM
cishockeyfan

Lacosta Finally given the Chance to start Back to Back Games and well deserved, he has been by far the better Goalie this year, the stats aren't even close with him and Fully.

Very simular to the 2006-07 Season when 5th year veteran Reg Bourcier was splitting games with Mike Ouzas in his first year until late in the first half when the stats didnt lie, Ouzzas became the go to guy, and played most games for the rest of the season including all the playoffs.

Dan Lacostas season was very underrated last year, his numbers were respectable, but he was forced to play with a badly injured groin when Fullarton had emergency surgery and the Vreds were left in a bad goaltending situation. each Time Lacosta went in, he would further pull the groin.

Old
12-01-2012, 12:15 AM
Rob

UNB 5 Dalhousie 2 - Vreds badly outshot the Tigers 40-13. Brownell kept it close for the Tigers. Lacosta with another win for UNB. There was a fight between Chad Denny and Shea Kewin late in the second period. I am assuming they will automatically be suspended for one game unless there is an appear process?

Acadia 3 UPEI 1 - Boxscore shows this game was full of misconducts. Savage had another solid night in nets for the Panthers stopping 43 shots. DiSalvo in nets again for Acaida.

SMU 3 STU 2 (so) - Tommies get their first point on home ice but it is probably little consolation. Perugini with his first win in nets for the Huskies.

STFX 4 Moncton 3 (ot) - Both teams get over 40 shots on goal in the game. Owsley with the win in nets for X. Les Aigles have now lost 4 in a row.

Last games of the first half on Saturday night.

UNB vs Acadia: This is the game of the night. First place on the line.

SMU vs Moncton: Les Aigles try and snap a losing skid.

STFX vs STU: Tommies look for first home win of the season.

UPEI vs DAL: Important game for both teams. Panthers just three points up on the Tigers for the last playoff spot.

Old
12-01-2012, 10:22 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Any update on Owens?

Old
12-01-2012, 01:16 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Any update on Owens?
According to Acadia's official twitter account, he sounds okay.

Quote:
Acadia Athletics ‏@AcadiaAthletics
A shout out to Axemen hockey fans. Chris Owens is home & ok after being taken off of ice on a spinal board last night. Speedy recovery Owie!

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Rob

Acadia 3 UNB 2 - Tried watching this one online but the feed was terrible. Gave up by the second. UNB dressed only four Dmen. Acadia was missing Chris Owens (best Dman in the AUS). Surprised the Vreds started Fullerton. Mosher stopped 43-45 shots for the win.

STU 5 STFX 4 (so)- Tommies get first win on home ice! Tommies take 3 out of 4 points this weekend finishing the first half off strong. Groenheyde with 39 saves for the win. Perricone took the loss in what sounded like a rough night for him.

SMU 5 Moncton 2 - Huskies get their 5th win in a row while Les Aigles lose their 5th in a row. Peters with the win in nets.

Dal 3 UPEI 2 - Huges win for the Tigers as they sit just one point back of the Panthers for the last playoff spot. Vye stopped 35 shots for the win.