HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2012, 12:33 PM
RayzorIsDull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
Ho-Sang has a bunch of dead weight that cannot keep up with him. Domi is surrounded with speedsters who can finish. Put Domi with the line up Ho-Sang is stuck with and he'd be a none factor.
I understand what you're saying but the Spits have 3 NHL picks up at forward (Vail, Clarke, Johnson), a 1st round NHL pick in 2013 (Rychel), former 1st round OHL pick Marchese, Maletta. Say what you want but there should be more production from the foward core. All the guys I mentioned have some type of hype coming. If Ho-Sang is stuck with dead weight who's fault is that?

Old
12-02-2012, 12:35 PM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I wouldn't go that far with the praise of Ho-Sang. Domi is still top 10 in OHL points. Ho-Sang is 9th in rookie scoring and this isn't a knock on him but I can't criticize Domi when Ho-Sang isn't lighting it up for rookies. Ho-Sang has had a decent year so far I am sure the organization expected a bit more out of him but he's ok. It's ok to say he hangs onto the puck too long considering there have been many times dangling with the puck and puts guys offside. He's a high risk and high reward guy that hasn't changed. My only concern is that it might be tough to get Ho-Sang to buy in completely if the team struggles. Hall was very similar at 16 but he bought in quickly because the team was successful and he had no choice but to fall in line.
So you'd take Domi over Ho Sang? I sure wouldn't, points be damned. Fine he's 9th in rookie scoring but he's still in the running as top point scorer on our team regardless. I don't know how much more you might have expected from him as a 16 year old, aside from maybe a few more shootout goals. I wouldn't say he's as good as Hall at 16 because Hall was obviously a much more talented finisher at that point. Having said that, Hall was never half the playmaker that Ho Sang already is, they are absolutely different players. I'm happy with what we got out of him.

Old
12-02-2012, 12:53 PM
aresknights

Domi and HoSang are both talented young OHLers. Not sure you can compare whos better yet as they are in different situations.
Domi was a reg and contributor to an OHL championship team as a rookie and I think that says something. HoSang wont have that op this year.
Both can wow you with a dangle or pass here and there for sure.
One question I have (Ive only seen HoSang in 4 or 5 games, mostly the on the tube) Is he the type of kid thatll go to the dirty areas to score? (the blue ice) Does he have abit of jam to him (not take too much crap) Im not questioning him I just dont know, as I havent seen him enough. If he is willing to do that stuff and plays with the skill many said he has hell be a real good one and a treat to watch

Old
12-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Domi and HoSang are both talented young OHLers. Not sure you can compare whos better yet as they are in different situations.
Domi was a reg and contributor to an OHL championship team as a rookie and I think that says something. HoSang wont have that op this year.
Both can wow you with a dangle or pass here and there for sure.
One question I have (Ive only seen HoSang in 4 or 5 games, mostly the on the tube) Is he the type of kid thatll go to the dirty areas to score? (the blue ice) Does he have abit of jam to him (not take too much crap) Im not questioning him I just dont know, as I havent seen him enough. If he is willing to do that stuff and plays with the skill many said he has hell be a real good one and a treat to watch
I hope your not indicating that Domi does any of this. I mean he's not called Mom Jeans (Mom genes aka not like Daddy) without reason.

Old
12-02-2012, 01:10 PM
aresknights

Domi will stick up for himself at times, althou he doesnt scrap and Im ok with that. You want HoSang to scrap? I like talented guys thatll show some jam, try not to be intimidated, use a slash once in a while. Not condoning running guys guys from behind, head shots ect... but you gotta let em know your not too soft.
His last 3 goals have come froma total of about 12 ft. LAst 2 beating Pedan to the areas to score. He does certainly go to the blue ice, heavy traffic spots, isnt afarid of contact ect.. Seen him play live 50 or so times and on the tube just as much so I think its a big enough sample size.

SO by your answer ( slagging Domi) and non response to a ? about a kid Ive not seen much can I hazard to guess your answer is NO HoSang doesnt or did ya just leave that part out?

Id take Ma Jeans over Tie anyday lol but great nickname. Credit where its due, that is funny

Old
12-02-2012, 01:15 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
I hope your not indicating that Domi does any of this. I mean he's not called Mom Jeans (Mom genes aka not like Daddy) without reason.
That wasnt the point of my post, didnt say he did (at that point) I asked if HoSang did, but yes I think he does, see above

rock on Otto

Old
12-02-2012, 01:32 PM
KnightSpit

Jughead
Ho-Sang I think will be dominating the league next season, just needs some more seasoning, but the kid is dynamite.

Old
12-02-2012, 02:00 PM
punch1943

Ottawa with Depleted Line Up

Apparently the 67's are going with 15 skaters + 2 goaltenders today...so I think you'll probably see the 4th line out early in the game to do some bangin' to wear them down.
At least that's what generally happens when one team is so short handed..... expect some old fashioned pond hockey in this game....

Old
12-02-2012, 04:56 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
So you'd take Domi over Ho Sang? I sure wouldn't, points be damned. Fine he's 9th in rookie scoring but he's still in the running as top point scorer on our team regardless. I don't know how much more you might have expected from him as a 16 year old, aside from maybe a few more shootout goals. I wouldn't say he's as good as Hall at 16 because Hall was obviously a much more talented finisher at that point. Having said that, Hall was never half the playmaker that Ho Sang already is, they are absolutely different players. I'm happy with what we got out of him.
No I never said that. Overall I don't think it really matters. Ho Sang looks to be strictly a playmaker and that's fine. I don't think he has a terrific shot, he might get 10-13 goals this year that probably isn't what Rychel and Boughner expected. That being said he hasn't had a horrible year but as a playmaker if he doesn't have guys to put the puck in the net consistently it doesn't matter.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:19 PM
youngblood10

Quote:
I understand what you're saying but the Spits have 3 NHL picks up at forward (Vail, Clarke, Johnson), a 1st round NHL pick in 2013 (Rychel), former 1st round OHL pick Marchese, Maletta. Say what you want but there should be more production from the foward core. All the guys I mentioned have some type of hype coming. If Ho-Sang is stuck with dead weight who's fault is that?
They should in a perfect world be more productive than they are given their pedigrees but that isn't the way things have panned out. I don't think anyone is at fault it just hasn't worked out.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:37 PM
KyGuy9

Awesome game by the Spits! Dominated most of the game, got lots of shots on Blair. Nice to get the first shootout win! You can tell Pav and the team was relieved. Finally the shootout goals are coming! (All the goals they scored in shootout today was a shot in the 5-hole) Did anyone get a calender? Awesome teddy toss, too, lots of bears. On a side note, did anyone see the Missy-Knights game? Seth Griffith scored the winner and TWICE during the shootout! I think it was 18-19 rounds of shootout!

Old
12-02-2012, 06:13 PM
jughead42

Quote:
No I never said that. Overall I don't think it really matters. Ho Sang looks to be strictly a playmaker and that's fine. I don't think he has a terrific shot, he might get 10-13 goals this year that probably isn't what Rychel and Boughner expected. That being said he hasn't had a horrible year but as a playmaker if he doesn't have guys to put the puck in the net consistently it doesn't matter.
The Domi-Ho Sang comparison is something I threw out there because each are their teams supposed wonder kids, and I think we have the better of the two. You're right, it really doesn't matter but makes for fun discussion when you get the London fans into it too. There's not a huge amount of positives for the Spitfires this year, but Ho Sang showing up as advertised is one of the few. (along with Sieloff and Pavelka) I don't think he's as poor a shooter as you suggest, Hall's shot wasn't amazing in his rookie year - he scored the bulk of his goals with a combination of speed and fearless drive to the net. He'd never give up on a puck or an offensive chance, and that's something Ho Sang could admittedly improve on. Heck the whole team could. I don't think his shot is bad, even if it could improve. If anything Ho Sang is using his playmaking skills to fill our biggest need on this team for a playmaker. If we had some more guys around who could do that job you'd see him play as more of a finisher than disher perhaps. I think he's filling a role because he is one of the few with the skills to do it, and it means fewer goals because of it.

It's about time they win a shoot out. Boring game really.

Old
12-02-2012, 08:33 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
The Domi-Ho Sang comparison is something I threw out there because each are their teams supposed wonder kids, and I think we have the better of the two. You're right, it really doesn't matter but makes for fun discussion when you get the London fans into it too. There's not a huge amount of positives for the Spitfires this year, but Ho Sang showing up as advertised is one of the few. (along with Sieloff and Pavelka) I don't think he's as poor a shooter as you suggest, Hall's shot wasn't amazing in his rookie year - he scored the bulk of his goals with a combination of speed and fearless drive to the net. He'd never give up on a puck or an offensive chance, and that's something Ho Sang could admittedly improve on. Heck the whole team could. I don't think his shot is bad, even if it could improve. If anything Ho Sang is using his playmaking skills to fill our biggest need on this team for a playmaker. If we had some more guys around who could do that job you'd see him play as more of a finisher than disher perhaps. I think he's filling a role because he is one of the few with the skills to do it, and it means fewer goals because of it.

It's about time they win a shoot out. Boring game really.
I guess it boils down to if you want Ho-Sang to be your center if that's what you want him to be then put him there. I still thought Hall had a very good shot, he had so many chances by utilizing his speed he was never going to hit on all his chances.

Yes it was a pretty boring game at least they got the W, unfortunately they didn't gain ground on many teams this week. Last week it was Sarnia who was in shambles then they win 3 in 3. Probably shouldn't believe everything you hear about problems with a team, winning cures all.

Old
12-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Sec108

It was nice to get the shootout win finally.But give credit to the 67's they didnt quit and kept coming.Pav saved the day a few times and even though the spits outshot them, the quality of the shots were not always there.

I like the number of good hits put on the spits by Ottawa and they were stiring up Seiloff all day.

If WR was looking at these guys for a possible trade I would give up Bowen,Malletta,Studnicka and Bateman for a couple of their guys if offered.They looked much more poised than we did even though we came out victorious.Blair is a good up and coming goaler.

Were looking to much for the perfect PP goal.We need to get dirty more and dig.

Old
12-02-2012, 08:51 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyGuy9 View Post
Awesome game by the Spits! Dominated most of the game, got lots of shots on Blair. Nice to get the first shootout win! You can tell Pav and the team was relieved. Finally the shootout goals are coming! (All the goals they scored in shootout today was a shot in the 5-hole) Did anyone get a calender? Awesome teddy toss, too, lots of bears. On a side note, did anyone see the Missy-Knights game? Seth Griffith scored the winner and TWICE during the shootout! I think it was 18-19 rounds of shootout!
I wouldn't call it an "awesome" game, but a good one. Yes, they controlled the shot clock and the play for the most part. However, lots of mistakes on the PP, missed opportunities offensively, and a general "we should have this, so why bother?" mentality.

I'll take the win any day, but this win was rather underwhelming.

Old
12-02-2012, 09:41 PM
KyGuy9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I wouldn't call it an "awesome" game, but a good one. Yes, they controlled the shot clock and the play for the most part. However, lots of mistakes on the PP, missed opportunities offensively, and a general "we should have this, so why bother?" mentality.

I'll take the win any day, but this win was rather underwhelming.
My bad, must have been excited the Spits won. But way too many giveaways and plain sloppiness out there. They had to rely on their enemy for most the season the shootout to get them the W. If they had played with a little more heart they would have easily won.

Old
12-02-2012, 10:12 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyGuy9 View Post
My bad, must have been excited the Spits won. But way too many giveaways and plain sloppiness out there. They had to rely on their enemy for most the season the shootout to get them the W. If they had played with a little more heart they would have easily won.
I love the fact that we won, because it's a much needed two points. It's just how we won that bothers me. The little things were so evident today and, watching Boughner on the bench, you could tell he noticed them, too. If Ottawa wasn't so depleted, they'd have given us a good old beat down.

OH, while I'm at it...

Did anyone else catch Bilcke's beauty of a wrist-shot that almost picked the top shelf? Shades of Taylor Hall! The kid has a shot, just a matter of using it more.

Old
12-02-2012, 11:16 PM
hockeyboy4

Quote:
I love the fact that we won, because it's a much needed two points. It's just how we won that bothers me. The little things were so evident today and, watching Boughner on the bench, you could tell he noticed them, too. If Ottawa wasn't so depleted, they'd have given us a good old beat down.

OH, while I'm at it...

Did anyone else catch Bilcke's beauty of a wrist-shot that almost picked the top shelf? Shades of Taylor Hall! The kid has a shot, just a matter of using it more.
right off the bar! would of been a beauty

Old
12-03-2012, 07:29 AM
Windsor Chief

Bilcke has improved alot in the past year, still a bit surprised that he does not see third line minutes.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:12 AM
izzys

I was finally able to catch a spit games yesturday ....

man what i saw was bad, our first pass on our break out is bad, we have to many guys taking pointless shots and not enough players that want to get there nose dirty....

on our back end we have 2 players that can play a regular shift... ( murphy , sieloff)

our only real playermake is 16 and he is still wet behind the ears.....

i would say we have alot of 2nd and 3rd liners, our first line is prob the weakest first line in the O

i think WR needs to shake alot of things up and go get good players and not these washed up 19/20 year olds that no one else wants

Old
12-03-2012, 09:43 AM
spits2timechamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzys View Post
on our back end we have 2 players that can play a regular shift... ( murphy , sieloff)
I never thought I would say this but you forgot ebert lol

....Oh and Posa too

Old
12-03-2012, 10:28 AM
izzys

Quote:
Originally Posted by spits2timechamps View Post
I never thought I would say this but you forgot ebert lol

....Oh and Posa too
I used to be big on posa but ever since this year has started i have done nothing but shake my head at him .... yes he gives alot of heart but in hes own end hes weak and he loses alot of puck battles.....

on ebert he look lost out there at time..... he will have 1 good shift then 3 bad ones ...

ebert and posa are the 5th and 6th best d-man on any good team

Old
12-03-2012, 10:47 AM
OHLTG

Quote:
I used to be big on posa but ever since this year has started i have done nothing but shake my head at him .... yes he gives alot of heart but in hes own end hes weak and he loses alot of puck battles.....

on ebert he look lost out there at time..... he will have 1 good shift then 3 bad ones ...

ebert and posa are the 5th and 6th best d-man on any good team
I'd take Posa on my top pairing any day of the week, twice if it's a double-header.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:00 AM
izzys

Quote:
I'd take Posa on my top pairing any day of the week, twice if it's a double-header.
ur crazy .... i dont get what everyone see's in posa,

can you name me 3 parts of hes game he is better then good at ?

i dont even want u to name 5 which u could name 5 for any top pairing in the ohl

Old
12-03-2012, 11:02 AM
OHLTG

Quote:
ur crazy .... i dont get what everyone see's in posa,

can you name me 3 parts of hes game he is better then good at ?

i dont even want u to name 5 which u could name 5 for any top pairing in the ohl
I'm crazy? First I've heard of this

Three parts of his game? Leadership, first-pass, PK

Given how many games he's played, I'm thinking I'm not the only one who think he's pretty good.

Closed Thread