*OFFICIAL* Erie Otters 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2012, 09:02 AM
Otters Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BramptonFan09 View Post
Yes the defense may not be coached properly but the fact that the blame of the outrageous number of shots against lies soley on the defense is a joke. Watch the number of turnovers the forwards give up off the rush, watch how poor they are at getting pucks out on the half wall, watch how often they get caught with three guys deep creating odd man rushes, watch how many point shots they give up from poor coverage, watch the laziness on the back checks, watch them time after time try to beat a guy on a 1 on 2 or 2 on 3, the list goes on. They have enough talent on defense and none of thier prospects would do close to as good a job, this group has potential.They need to improve defensivley as a team. Theres nothing defenseman can do when time after time they have no back pressure from the forwards, or odd man rushes or having point shots blasted at the net time after time. Heres how I break it down on the back end:

1- Pelech and McDowell
Pelech is the most underrated defensive players in the league he is a top 2 defenseman on any OHL team. McDowell has size and is good with the puck he is a good fit for pelech and has a bomb of a shot.
2- Abraham and Donnay
Spencer Abraham will not improve the Otters defensively yet he has improved drastically in that regard he is there to move the puck and in my opinion is the best on the team at getting pucks to the net, his seeing eye wrist shot would do lots of damage if they got more traffic in front of the net. Donnay is big, defensive and has a big reach, if he played meaner he would be a tough guy to play against.
3- Kuleshov and Glass/
Im not a Nathan Glass Fan and although has the best plus minus I believe that it the worst stat in all of hockey. Kuleshov is improving and I think has showed some potential if he stops trying to be offensive and focuses on being big, mean, and simple simple simple.
By far the best post ive seen in a week or two in this thread.
+1
100% Agree about Donnay,he could be such a force if he would just play meaner.
I also agree about Glass,i dont think hes very good no matter what his +/- is.

Old
12-02-2012, 10:06 AM
prowatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters Fan View Post
By far the best post ive seen in a week or two in this thread.
+1
100% Agree about Donnay,he could be such a force if he would just play meaner.
I also agree about Glass,i dont think hes very good no matter what his +/- is.
I disagree with pelech he could be a real forces out there as a D man when he was drafted as a stay at home player then the coaches has let him run wild and he now is not putting defences first.and if you really watch the game you will see he is trying to do to much and gets traped with the puck in the zone, I hope for Pelech that he get back to what made him great, and that is a stay at home D,
I Agree with half of what you said abut Abraham he is weak on Defences but does make some nice playes he would be a much better forward becuase he has good vision and can make playes down low.
I disagree on Glass he in not flashey but get the job done he will never be a scorer but is a real stay at home Defences man.

Last edited by prowatcher: 12-02-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old
12-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Styx and Stones

How can +/- be the most useless stat in hockey? If you're on the ice for more goals than you give up, you win the game!! Not one player an overall plus for the season.

Old
12-02-2012, 01:25 PM
KnightSpit

Plus Minus Does Matter !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx and Stones View Post
How can +/- be the most useless stat in hockey? If you're on the ice for more goals than you give up, you win the game!! Not one player an overall plus for the season.
Styx and stones, you are right on the money. It is not a useless stat, in fact it is used by many clubs in the show when negotiating contracts. If a D, is double digit in the minus category how can one say that does not matter ?

Anyhow, if the Otters give up another 50 or more shots. not much has or will change until they change D personnel.

Old
12-02-2012, 01:30 PM
KnightSpit

McDavid Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
I would not jump to such conclusions already about McDavid wanting a trade if they continue to lose. People who say these things do not know much about him other than that he is a phenom and they like to stereotype him because of other players. He is the most mature and humble 15 year old I have ever seen. He believes team first and does not think of himself first like a lot of other players do. He gladly accepted Erie when he was drafted and did not think he was "to good" for other teams in the league like Domi or Mackinnon. I think McDavid is going through the first big step in his hockey career right now which is being the center piece or franchise player on a rebuilding team and he could not be doing a better job. It is not like he isn't producing or developing, his talent is showing and everyone can see that. When he is drafted into the NHL he will be on another bad team because they had the first overall pick, that is a part of being an elite level player.
OHL Fan
Yeah no dispute that McDavid is a class act and a phenom, but he would be the first to tell you, he still needs to develop. Tavares would tell you the same thing, you have to be on at least a decent team. All we are saying is that if this continues, it will effect the kids development and he has the type of clout, that if Erie continues this downward cycle, of course he would consider it. The thing is, with this group of players they should at least make the playoffs !

Old
12-02-2012, 05:09 PM
prowatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
OHL Fan
Yeah no dispute that McDavid is a class act and a phenom, but he would be the first to tell you, he still needs to develop. Tavares would tell you the same thing, you have to be on at least a decent team. All we are saying is that if this continues, it will effect the kids development and he has the type of clout, that if Erie continues this downward cycle, of course he would consider it. The thing is, with this group of players they should at least make the playoffs !
I agree 100% OHL fan MacDavid need to develop.I think this player is the next great one.I do think we need to give this new coach sometime I have a feeling this coach will turn the otter around.

Old
12-02-2012, 07:49 PM
Otters Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowatcher View Post
I disagree with pelech he could be a real forces out there as a D man when he was drafted as a stay at home player then the coaches has let him run wild and he now is not putting defences first.and if you really watch the game you will see he is trying to do to much and gets traped with the puck in the zone, I hope for Pelech that he get back to what made him great, and that is a stay at home D,
I Agree with half of what you said abut Abraham he is weak on Defences but does make some nice playes he would be a much better forward becuase he has good vision and can make playes down low.
I disagree on Glass he in not flashey but get the job done he will never be a scorer but is a real stay at home Defences man.
I think you need to watch the games if you think Pelech isnt putting defense first. I have been to every home game this season and listened to almost every road game. Pelech is a force and if he wasnt back on defense for us we would be in some big trouble.
Because the coaches have asked him to shoot the puck more from the point has nothing to do with him playing defense. He has a great shot and should use it.

Really pay attention sometime and please tell me who has more turn overs in the defense of zone Pelech or Glass.

And no i dont think +/- is worthless but i dont think it is everything.

Old
12-02-2012, 08:20 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
OHL Fan
I agree he does need to develop but as of now I would say that he is. I do not see any signs out there of him not developing, he has been scoring more goals than he did to start the year and is also making better passes as opposed to some games he would get caught holding onto it a bit to long. I think he is developing and I know that if rumors of him wanting out of Erie start spreading they are inaccurate and also would irritate McDavid. There are interviews from the past where he stated the rumors of him not reporting to Erie angered him because that is not how he thinks or acts.

I know that if they continue to lose things may change but I still have a hard time thinking he will sit until he is traded. The team has potential and I think will improve over time.

Old
12-02-2012, 08:22 PM
prowatcher

Quote:
I think you need to watch the games if you think Pelech isnt putting defense first. I have been to every home game this season and listened to almost every road game. Pelech is a force and if he wasnt back on defense for us we would be in some big trouble.
Because the coaches have asked him to shoot the puck more from the point has nothing to do with him playing defense. He has a great shot and should use it.

Really pay attention sometime and please tell me who has more turn overs in the defense of zone Pelech or Glass.

And no i dont think +/- is worthless but i dont think it is everything.
I watch very carefully and Pelech has alot of forces on the ice but he gambles to much , for Pelech it is getting ready to move on to the next level. This is only a pit stop for him but at the next level it is very unforegiving.
I didn't compare Pelech to Glass they are diferant type of player. But they do play very well together. For a defences man plus minus means a lot when they look at film, it is a big deal.

Last edited by prowatcher: 12-02-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old
12-03-2012, 01:52 AM
BramptonFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx and Stones View Post
I didnt mean +/- was useless i just came out that way, obviously it means something. But I meant to say that it is overrated and many things dictate who has a good and bad +/-. What team you play on, how much ice time you get, what line you play against the list goes on. For example Nathan Glass is -2 Adam Pelech is what -9? who is a better defensive player? Adam Pelech. Adam also has the 2nd worst +/- among the Otters defenseman does that make him the 2nd worst defensive defenseman no, he plays in all situations and half the game thats why his +/- isnt very good. Troy Donnay was a plus player with the london knights and came to the otters and is now -10 or something. +/- is all about the team you play for, and the situations you play in. I could be one the ice with 4 others guys and take the puck back and shoot it into my own net and those other 4 guys would get punished with a minus, thus it isnt indicative of what happens to cause the goal which is also why it is an over used stat.

Old
12-03-2012, 07:02 AM
Otters Fan

Quote:
I agree he does need to develop but as of now I would say that he is. I do not see any signs out there of him not developing, he has been scoring more goals than he did to start the year and is also making better passes as opposed to some games he would get caught holding onto it a bit to long. I think he is developing and I know that if rumors of him wanting out of Erie start spreading they are inaccurate and also would irritate McDavid. There are interviews from the past where he stated the rumors of him not reporting to Erie angered him because that is not how he thinks or acts.

I know that if they continue to lose things may change but I still have a hard time thinking he will sit until he is traded. The team has potential and I think will improve over time.
I have a buddy who is a teacher at the school he goes too which most of the Otters do and have since the team has been in Erie.
He was just telling last night that in all the years the Otters have been in Erie Conor is the first kid to come into the office and want to meet everyone and introduce himself. He also told his teachers he wants to do everything he can to be the best student in the class.
So it seems to me hes been raised right. Hes not like alot of the kids of his talent that are me first and could careless about everyone else.

Old
12-03-2012, 07:09 AM
Otters Fan

Quote:
I watch very carefully and Pelech has alot of forces on the ice but he gambles to much , for Pelech it is getting ready to move on to the next level. This is only a pit stop for him but at the next level it is very unforegiving.
I didn't compare Pelech to Glass they are diferant type of player. But they do play very well together. For a defences man plus minus means a lot when they look at film, it is a big deal.
How does he gamble to much? And if you do watch the games you wouldnt be saying he gets trapped in the zone to much. Its just a false statement. He handles the puck as good or better than any defenseman they have period.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:20 AM
prowatcher

Quote:
How does he gamble to much? And if you do watch the games you wouldnt be saying he gets trapped in the zone to much. Its just a false statement. He handles the puck as good or better than any defenseman they have period.
watch when he is in the D zone he turns to the strong side most of the time which causes him to get trape down low. the last game was this first time in a long time he look and moved the puck to the weak side to excape the D zome.When you are play defences it is about time and space and the puck moves faster then any player the D is to set the play up not just skate is up. I think the new coach from that last game was making a big diffrents. if you watched the D used each other to open up the ice something that has been done all year.and that lets the forward get open. causing less turn overs and better because the foward have space to skate, that the Defence created.these are the finer point that get you to the next level. and out of all the defences man Pelech can really make it to the NHL. it is the little think a defences man does that will keep him there.

Old
12-03-2012, 05:37 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
watch when he is in the D zone he turns to the strong side most of the time which causes him to get trape down low. the last game was this first time in a long time he look and moved the puck to the weak side to excape the D zome.When you are play defences it is about time and space and the puck moves faster then any player the D is to set the play up not just skate is up. I think the new coach from that last game was making a big diffrents. if you watched the D used each other to open up the ice something that has been done all year.and that lets the forward get open. causing less turn overs and better because the foward have space to skate, that the Defence created.these are the finer point that get you to the next level. and out of all the defences man Pelech can really make it to the NHL. it is the little think a defences man does that will keep him there.
I agree that Pelech has turned the puck over a few times recently but I do not think that it is really a big deal in comparison to the other players. I can only think of one or two games where he had a bad turn over and a turn over now and then is bound to happen. I think the real problem with turnovers are with Donnay, Abraham, and Kuleshov. Last home game Donnay had a horrible turn over in their own zone and Plymouth then scored to get the OT win. Abraham can really bring the puck out but at times he holds onto it for to long, or panics and just throws it off his stick. Kuleshov has been better but he struggles with holding on to the puck to long and poor puck control I think.

Old
12-03-2012, 07:33 PM
prowatcher

Quote:
I agree that Pelech has turned the puck over a few times recently but I do not think that it is really a big deal in comparison to the other players. I can only think of one or two games where he had a bad turn over and a turn over now and then is bound to happen. I think the real problem with turnovers are with Donnay, Abraham, and Kuleshov. Last home game Donnay had a horrible turn over in their own zone and Plymouth then scored to get the OT win. Abraham can really bring the puck out but at times he holds onto it for to long, or panics and just throws it off his stick. Kuleshov has been better but he struggles with holding on to the puck to long and poor puck control I think.
I agree with everything you said,and the new coach is just what the otters need right now.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:58 AM
Otters Fan

Quote:
Thank you for getting him to agree with me

McDowell does a pretty decent job getting the puck out of the zone also. But other than those two you hold your breath most passes in the defensive zone.

It will be interesting to see the changes come friday and saturday after they have had a week to learn the new system

Old
12-04-2012, 02:18 PM
prowatcher

Quote:
Thank you for getting him to agree with me

McDowell does a pretty decent job getting the puck out of the zone also. But other than those two you hold your breath most passes in the defensive zone.

It will be interesting to see the changes come friday and saturday after they have had a week to learn the new system
Well the game at the soo was a mess, it was the first time this year the soo took more then 47 shots in a game. when you turn to the strong side you get trapped with the puck down low even if you get the puck out of the D zone, you have given up all time and space which allows the other team to control neutral ice.
The Sud Wolves game the Defences opened up the ice to the weak side and then the forwards were able to controlled neutral and allowd the team time if there was a turn over to control there own D zone.thats one of the main reason the Otter only gave up 25 shots.I think we need to give this coach sometime there is alot on his plate.I really hope the otters make the play offs this year, Still alot of time left.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:51 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Well the game at the soo was a mess, it was the first time this year the soo took more then 47 shots in a game. when you turn to the strong side you get trapped with the puck down low even if you get the puck out of the D zone, you have given up all time and space which allows the other team to control neutral ice.
The Sud Wolves game the Defences opened up the ice to the weak side and then the forwards were able to controlled neutral and allowd the team time if there was a turn over to control there own D zone.thats one of the main reason the Otter only gave up 25 shots.I think we need to give this coach sometime there is alot on his plate.I really hope the otters make the play offs this year, Still alot of time left.
I did not get to hear or see anything in regards to the Soo game so I have no comment about what went wrong but I listened to Sundays game on the radio but that is really know way of knowing the details mentioned. It is great that only 25 shots were given up even though Sudbury does not have exactly a potent offense. Roper also said that the officiating was seemingly favoring the Wolves and I will take his word for it.
I am also really looking forward to this weekends games to see if the coaching change is a noticeable difference as Sunday was at least a good start. Also, I hope the change can spark a few players that have been disappointing this year (I wont name anyone specific but there are three that come to mind). I also am hearing Dane Fox could be making his season debut which should lift the team offensively for sure. Last I am interested to see what Knoblauch does with Kyle Pettit. I really like his game as he is so strong on the forecheck for just being 16, I hope he starts to see more time on the PK.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:07 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Last I am interested to see what Knoblauch does with Kyle Pettit. I really like his game as he is so strong on the forecheck for just being 16, I hope he starts to see more time on the PK.
Did Erie miss what Pettit was doing on the London Knights Gold PK? They need to wake up.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:21 PM
prowatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Did Erie miss what Pettit was doing on the London Knights Gold PK? They need to wake up.
Pettit by far is the best at winning faces off and I agree with you he need more PK time.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:55 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
I know they really do, he played a shift or two on the PK in a recent game at home (I am not sure which one exactly) but he did a great job. In the 5 v 5 shifts that he got he forced a few turnovers because of great relentless pressure on the forecheck. This kid has a lot of potential and I am hoping he gets some more ice time as the season goes on.
While I am talking rookies Hodgson has impressed me as well, he seems to get the chances but so far has been unable to convert. I am hoping in time he learns to finish because honestly he could easily have 10-15 goals this season already if he had a better finishing touch. He is young though so we all just need to be patient.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Otters Fan

Quote:
I know they really do, he played a shift or two on the PK in a recent game at home (I am not sure which one exactly) but he did a great job. In the 5 v 5 shifts that he got he forced a few turnovers because of great relentless pressure on the forecheck. This kid has a lot of potential and I am hoping he gets some more ice time as the season goes on.
While I am talking rookies Hodgson has impressed me as well, he seems to get the chances but so far has been unable to convert. I am hoping in time he learns to finish because honestly he could easily have 10-15 goals this season already if he had a better finishing touch. He is young though so we all just need to be patient.
On top of those two i hope to see Felker get more playing time.
I could never understand why Ftorek gave Petit such little playing time. I hope he will get more playing time now with the new coach.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Nothing Else Maattas

Victor Fernandes@GoErieHockey
. @ErieOtters have traded D Nathan Glass (@glasser20) to Saginaw for a 7th-round pick in 2014. #erielive

Your guess is as good as mine

Old
12-05-2012, 06:05 PM
hockeylegend11

Noticed that the Otters have dealt much maligned d-man Nathan Glass to Erie for a draft pick 7th rder I believe
Strange considering they will lose Adam Pelech to Team Canada jr tryouts after this weekend,though they will move Wood back to defence with the return of Dane Fox to the lineup
Perhaps they will bring up Patrick Murphy currently playing for Port Colbourne ,scoring 9 goals and 11 assists 60 Pims in 22 games,pretty impressive stats including 8 pts in his last 5 games
One rumour is Murphy to Windsor for Adam Bateman,cant confirm however

Old
12-05-2012, 06:31 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor McJesus View Post
Victor Fernandes@GoErieHockey
. @ErieOtters have traded D Nathan Glass (@glasser20) to Saginaw for a 7th-round pick in 2014. #erielive

Your guess is as good as mine
Either Steven Strong is more hurt than people think or another deal is coming to move a D man (maybe Ringuette). I'll bet on the second secnario.

What kind of player are the Spirit getting here?

Closed Thread