HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

OKC Barons - Month of November

Old
12-01-2012, 09:33 PM
franfrey*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Barron's defense including Schultz has been brutal . The others on his team have just out sucked him.
Danis IMO has been the best Baron even after taking the contribution of our 'big 4' into the mix.
This is pretty much the core of the Oilers future. Long way to go before we become a contender.
I'd say Marincin's actually been the Barons' best D-man defensively. He covers up for a few of Schultz' mistakes and has a great stick.

franfrey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 10:27 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
Here's how the big 4 did...

Eberle - 10 G + 11 A = 21 Pts.
Schultz - 5 G + 14 A = 19 Pts.
Hall - 5 G + 11 A = 16 Pts.
RNH - 6 G + 6 A = 12 Pts.

So, player of the month will probably go to either Ebs or Schultz, both had huge months. Rookie of the month better go to Schultz, and it shouldn't even be close. Thank goodness for the Barons, or I'd have nothing to follow, to get my Oiler fix. The scary thing is, I think they're just getting warmed up.
thought it was MOVember

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 10:30 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Barron's defense including Schultz has been brutal . The others on his team have just out sucked him.
Danis IMO has been the best Baron even after taking the contribution of our 'big 4' into the mix.
This is pretty much the core of the Oilers future. Long way to go before we become a contender.
Barons have 28.8 shots for per game and 31.1 shots against per game so far through 20 games played. They are being outshot by ~2.3 shots per game. I don't think that's horrendous but obviously it would be better if they could turn that stat around.

I agree though that Danis likely doesn't get enough credit. He's a very good goalie and imo would be a solid backup and honestly even a solid option for the starting job to push Dubnyk on the Oilers.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 11:11 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
How?
Horcoff and Belanger got all of the hard minutes. Even Gagner got more of the hard minutes. It came down to the ability to win face-offs... but even at the end of the game Gagner wasn't getting many of the face-offs. It was always Belanger or Horcoff.

In the AHL they're depended on more. We had more AHL vets on the club last year to learn on. They've gotta learn to swim. If they don't then we can't depend on them to win the games for us in all situations in the NHL.

I've read about Hopkins trying to improve his face-offs this year. That's probably the important thing that he needs to do. That and fill out a little more.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 12:57 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Horcoff and Belanger got all of the hard minutes. Even Gagner got more of the hard minutes. It came down to the ability to win face-offs... but even at the end of the game Gagner wasn't getting many of the face-offs. It was always Belanger or Horcoff.

In the AHL they're depended on more. We had more AHL vets on the club last year to learn on. They've gotta learn to swim. If they don't then we can't depend on them to win the games for us in all situations in the NHL.

I've read about Hopkins trying to improve his face-offs this year. That's probably the important thing that he needs to do. That and fill out a little more.
Not how were they sheltered, how is it showing in your opinion? because they've been by far the best players on the ice

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 01:11 AM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
RNH has a Landeskog rating of -7.85. Savvy hockey fans know that the LR is a measure of shots blocked, hits thrown, and Swedishness exuded per skating stride. Unacceptable.

Like I said before, Jordan Eberle doesn't exist on the physical plane. He's just the temporary manifestation of a high shooting percentage.

Justin Schultz is the spawn of Satan. Good thing he's just using the Oilers to score a big UFA contract in two years.

Only four of Hall's points were hockey IQ points. The rest don't count because he didn't contemplate the metaphysical consequences of a goal after scoring one. Instead, he'd go high-five his team mates. What a doofus.

As the math clearly demonstrates, the rebuild is a disaster so far.

No such thing as secondary scoring, obviously. We only have 5 prospects.

nofool6110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 02:04 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
RNH has a Landeskog rating of -7.85. Savvy hockey fans know that the LR is a measure of shots blocked, hits thrown, and Swedishness exuded per skating stride. Unacceptable.

Like I said before, Jordan Eberle doesn't exist on the physical plane. He's just the temporary manifestation of a high shooting percentage.

Justin Schultz is the spawn of Satan. Good thing he's just using the Oilers to score a big UFA contract in two years.

Only four of Hall's points were hockey IQ points. The rest don't count because he didn't contemplate the metaphysical consequences of a goal after scoring one. Instead, he'd go high-five his team mates. What a doofus.

As the math clearly demonstrates, the rebuild is a disaster so far.
This is one of the best posts ever

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 03:08 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
That is a laughable comment, his defense has been far from brutal for the most part.

12-02-2012, 08:28 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
This is one of the best posts ever
+1. Very well done.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 09:10 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
That is a laughable comment, his defense has been far from brutal for the most part.
People will always find evidence to support their preconceived notions.

Before he suited up for the Barons, I didn't know much about Schultz's game on either side of the puck; I've been pleasantly surprised at how well he plays in his own zone.

He has quick feet, is solid positionally, and has a very good stick. More importantly than any of that: when he gains possession in his own zone the puck is moving in the opposite direction quickly. This is a precious gift with forwards like ours and is the number one thing the Oilers have been missing.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 09:39 AM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
This is a precious gift with forwards like ours and is the number one thing the Oilers have been missing.
Yep. Last year Gilbert, Petry and Whitney were the puck movers but Gilbert was hurt/traded and Whitney was immobile so Petry had to carry the weight for most of the year. And the best part is that playing with a puck mover like Petry made a guy like Smid more able/confident to move the puck out on his own. If Justin can have that effect on Nick then the Oilers can have two decent pairings, perhaps even a third if Whitney can move more effectively.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 10:53 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Schultz's defense has been fine. Average defense to compliment all-world offense. It's kind of how like Brian Campbell manages to look so good all the time. Puck seems to constantly be going the other way when he's on the ice.

The Barons' problems arise from the same issues the Oilers are having. Piss-poor depth. They actually have a decent 3rd/4th line, but the offensive production hasn't been there from them to compliment their solid checking play.

But that bottom-4 defense has been atrocious. Besides Schultz-Marincin, the other pairings have been an accident waiting to happen. Teubert, Plante, Ringwald, Henry, and Zahn are basically average ECHL players that are struggling to keep it together. Fedun's been average, I have no complaints from him given his pedigree and development thus far. But that bottom 3-4 defense needs to improve.

Goaltending's kind of been an issue too. Danis is no longer the stud he was last year, and Roy's been underwhelming in his AHL debut. I'd like to see what Bunz could do up here.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

To be fair to Roy, he was hung out to dry in that last game against Houston. Two goals he definitely had no chance on, especially that game winning goal. Henry coughed up the puck into the slot to Zucker who was basically all by himself.
He has made some pretty spectacular saves though. He needs some help clearing out rebounds and the front of the net.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:43 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
To be fair to Roy, he was hung out to dry in that last game against Houston. Two goals he definitely had no chance on, especially that game winning goal. Henry coughed up the puck into the slot to Zucker who was basically all by himself.
He has made some pretty spectacular saves though. He needs some help clearing out rebounds and the front of the net.
I thought Roy was very good Friday night.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Hockey Fan #751

I'm loving how the kids are progressing and playing so well together, building chemistry, etc. If there does end up being a season the Oilers are going to be at a great advantage with all their top players having played in North America as a unit. They should be able to step right in and have a good start and that's all that they might really need to make the playoffs in, say, a 48-game season.

It blows my mind that Jeff Skinner and Landeskog were both AHL eligible but both aren't playing anywhere right now. I don't know why Carolina and Colorado would do this.

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
I'm loving how the kids are progressing and playing so well together, building chemistry, etc. If there does end up being a season the Oilers are going to be at a great advantage with all their top players having played in North America as a unit. They should be able to step right in and have a good start and that's all that they might really need to make the playoffs in, say, a 48-game season.

It blows my mind that Jeff Skinner and Landeskog were both AHL eligible but both aren't playing anywhere right now. I don't know why Carolina and Colorado would do this.
Landeskog is playing in the SEL right now. Skinner I believe isn't playing anywhere.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
Landeskog is playing in the SEL right now. Skinner I believe isn't playing anywhere.
Is he? I checked hockeydb and he didn't have any stats for this season (while other Elite Leaguers like Nicklas Jensen did). Which team is he on? I was curious to see how he's doing.

Old
12-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Is he? I checked hockeydb and he didn't have any stats for this season (while other Elite Leaguers like Nicklas Jensen did). Which team is he on? I was curious to see how he's doing.
Yeah I found that puzzling as well. Here you go: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=10393

Old
12-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
Yeah I found that puzzling as well. Here you go: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=10393
Thanks, that would it explain it. Djurgarden is in the second division.

You'd think the AHL would have been better for him than the second division but it's good for the Avs that he's at least playing.

Old
12-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Thanks, that would it explain it. Djurgarden is in the second division.

You'd think the AHL would have been better for him than the second division but it's good for the Avs that he's at least playing.
Maybe the appeal of playing close to home was too much for him to turn down in this unique circumstance? That said I agree that he'd be better off in Lake Erie.

Old
12-02-2012, 01:47 PM
LaGu

Quote:
Maybe the appeal of playing close to home was too much for him to turn down in this unique circumstance? That said I agree that he'd be better off in Lake Erie.
I was looking around for the reference but couldn't find it... Anyway, apparently the Avs didn't think it proper that their captain went to play in the AHL, I think they even brought up somekind of club-policy... Reported in Aftonbladet or Expressen for sure, maybe one of the other Swedes in here can help me out with the reference?

edit: I also think he'd be better off in the ahl...

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Barons have 28.8 shots for per game and 31.1 shots against per game so far through 20 games played. They are being outshot by ~2.3 shots per game. I don't think that's horrendous but obviously it would be better if they could turn that stat around.

I agree though that Danis likely doesn't get enough credit. He's a very good goalie and imo would be a solid backup and honestly even a solid option for the starting job to push Dubnyk on the Oilers.
shots for says nothing towards our D.. with the forwards we have we shuld be +5 on shots.. All i know is that Danis is keeping this team from getting blown out most games. With all ur fire power he shouldnt be facing 25+ shots.

Quote:
i talked about team D and that he is no exception when it comes to bad reads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
People will always find evidence to support their preconceived notions.
Before he suited up for the Barons, I didn't know much about Schultz's game on either side of the puck; I've been pleasantly surprised at how well he plays in his own zone.
He has quick feet, is solid positionally, and has a very good stick. More importantly than any of that: when he gains possession in his own zone the puck is moving in the opposite direction quickly. This is a precious gift with forwards like ours and is the number one thing the Oilers have been missing.
nothing preconceived here... Schultz has all the tools and will eventually round out his game but for now he plays like a 4th forward and is average in his own zone.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 05:24 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

I think you have to cut Danis a little slack as well... last season he had a 92.4% save pct but faced only 27.5 shots per game. This season he has a lower save pct of 91.6% (still good) but he's facing more rubber as well @ 31.1 shots per game. The defense on this year's OKC squad still isn't up to last year's level.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 04:08 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

Yes but what I really want to know is who had the best 'stache?

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Fourier

Quote:
It seems his contract is up in the SEL. Something about him having to play Swedish taxes on his NHL salary if he plays much longer and theseason is not cancelled.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote