HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins Named Captain for Team Canada (WJC)

View Poll Results: Should the Oilers allow RNH to play in the WJHCs this year?
Yes 214 86.29%
No 34 13.71%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-19-2012, 08:41 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
Well then the Oiler loaned him to OKC so they have the say on what they do with him.
Maybe, but I believe the Oilers are paying his salary, not OKC. OKC runs the business side of operations down there, they really have no say over the roster.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:40 PM
Everest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Maybe, but I believe the Oilers are paying his salary, not OKC. OKC runs the business side of operations down there, they really have no say over the roster.
Im gonna disagree.

RNH is being paid an AHL salary by an AHL team right now. His NHL contract was only relevant for the purpose of placing him in the AHL. The only way the Oilers would (technically) have any say on the matter would be for them to recall him from the AHL and then (officially) "loan" him to the World JR Team.

Now...with all that being said... K-Lo and/or Tambo will certainly make some sort of recommendation to the player as well as the AHL team on the matter.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:40 AM
jebs

Mark Spector Sports ‏@SportsnetSpec

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins will be named to Team Canada's selection camp roster for WJHC tmw. Dearly wants to play in tournament… (more)

RNH on way to EDM today. WIll have left shoulder checked over. If it's OK, he'll play for Canada in Ufa, Russia, w/ Oilers support (more)

Shoulder exam "purely precautionary" agent R.Valette says. RNH has 20 pts in 19 OKC games, told agent, "I want to play for my country."

jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Great One

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebs View Post

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins will be named to Team Canada's selection camp roster for WJHC tmw. Dearly wants to play in tournament… (more)

RNH on way to EDM today. WIll have left shoulder checked over. If it's OK, he'll play for Canada in Ufa, Russia, w/ Oilers support (more)

Shoulder exam "purely precautionary" agent R.Valette says. RNH has 20 pts in 19 OKC games, told agent, "I want to play for my country."

Awesome news!!! A line of Huberdeau-RNH-Scheifele would be sick.

Great One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

At first I was all for Nuge playing in the WJC. Then my mind changed, MC79 made some good points about the AHL basically being a bunch of guys who played in the WJC already.

But if he wants to play, let him play I guess. He should have been there as a 17 year old IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great One View Post
Awesome news!!! A line of Huberdeau-RNH-Scheifele would be sick.
RNH and Huberdeau play too similar. I want to see Nuge lined up with a pure scorer (Mackinnon).

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebs View Post

I would rather he stay in OKC, but I wouldn't tell the kid no in this instance. Hopefully his shoulder is doing great and he can go out and try to win Canada gold!

12-02-2012, 11:56 AM
jebs

Im pretty happy with him going to the WJC, never really had any doubt he would choose to play. Trying to win WJC gold for Canada is way more appealing than the AHL.

IMO it has nothing to do with his development, hes not going to be ruined by missing 3 weeks of AHL hockey..

Old
12-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Great One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I would rather he stay in OKC, but I wouldn't tell the kid no in this instance. Hopefully his shoulder is doing great and he can go out and try to win Canada gold!
I just like the thoughts of him playing in a playoff atmosphere and playing on a very good team where every game counts. Obviously OKC are a very good team and all but if the lockout don't last all season and the Oilers finish where just about every expert expects them to finish then it could be at least another year or two before Nuge sees any playoff games. Even if the lockout do last all year, the WJC would be a great experience in preparing him for a playoff run with the Barons at the end of the year.

Great One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 12:22 PM
shogun99

Team Canada should put RNH on a line with Mackinnon so that they can build some chemistry for next years regular season.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
At first I was all for Nuge playing in the WJC. Then my mind changed, MC79 made some good points about the AHL basically being a bunch of guys who played in the WJC already.

But if he wants to play, let him play I guess. He should have been there as a 17 year old IMO.

RNH and Huberdeau play too similar. I want to see Nuge lined up with a pure scorer (Mackinnon).
Not even half of the AHL has played in the WJT.

But lets try and look at a bigger picture here...

The WJT basically boils down to playing a few, all out, guts-spilling, heart attack inducing games after about 10 days of somewhat easy games.

And its those climactic games where RNH has a huge demand on himself to rise to the occasion and build up his character as a player/person and leader.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

It's a damn shame that we won't get to see Klefa at the WJC's as well. Still RNH and Nail will be a nice consolation prize. Musil and Rieder will also be under 20 years of age for the duration of the tournament although not by much in Rieder's case.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 01:09 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

RNH shoulder still hurt? Kill me now.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins' shoulder isn't "injured" per se but hasn't felt quite right this season in AHL. So he's back in EDM for evaluation.

Old
12-02-2012, 01:44 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins' shoulder isn't "injured" per se but hasn't felt quite right this season in AHL. So he's back in EDM for evaluation.

Sounds like it isn't serious but between this breaking, Smid's injury, and Klefboms lost season now seems like as good a time to panic as any.

Last edited by worraps: 12-02-2012 at 01:52 PM.
worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I don't care if he and the Oilers say that his shoulder isn't injured. When a player says that they don't feel "quite right" then it's cause for concern.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 02:16 PM
BlueChip01

Sounded so dumb to me. So they are checking his shoulder to make sure it is fit to play for Canada? WTF has he been doing playing in the AHL if it needs checking?

BlueChip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 02:18 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post

Sounds like it isn't serious but between this breaking, Smid's injury, and Klefboms lost season now seems like as good a time to panic as any.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I don't care if he and the Oilers say that his shoulder isn't injured. When a player says that they don't feel "quite right" then it's cause for concern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
Sounded so dumb to me. So they are checking his shoulder to make sure it is fit to play for Canada? WTF has he been doing playing in the AHL if it needs checking?
Agreed all the way around, I mean this is probably the single most important player going forward for our team we need to make sure that his career is a long and healthy one because our future as a team depends on him being healthy and the best that he can be.

Old
12-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Spawn

Cue season ending shoulder surgery in 3...2...1

But in all seriousness. I realize that players probably have all sorts of aches and pains that are nothing. But how many times does this organization need to go through a player having a shoulder that just doesn't feel quite right only to have major shoulder surgery.

Horcoff, Hemsky, Hall.... hopefully not Hopkins.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 02:40 PM
BlueChip01

That is one thing this org has been brutal at. Assessing the health of a player. It ALWAYS ends up being 10x worse than reported.

BlueChip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 02:48 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor
Many won't agree, but I don't see huge benefit for RNH playing in Russia, with juniors, on big ice. I wonder if Canada is pressuring him?
Quote:
Robin Brownlee ‏@Robin_Brownlee
@JasonGregor Don't see ANY benefit compared to staying in good situation in OKC, but if he really wants to go it's his call.
Quote:
Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor
@Robin_Brownlee Hearing it isn't just his call...Feeling some pressure to go play...
Quote:
Bruce McCurdy ‏@BruceMcCurdy
@JasonGregor @Robin_Brownlee For sure it's not a cut-n-dried decision,even if he's healthy. Ottawa went different way with Zibanejad.
Hm....

Old
12-02-2012, 03:03 PM
jebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Hm....
Just like how Gregor heard that Schultz's parents were Canuck season ticket holders...

I'll believe RNH's agent over Gregor.

Old
12-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

You have to admire Gregor's tenacity. I would have hidden under a rock and stayed there after the Heatley thing.

Old
12-02-2012, 03:14 PM
jmoss45

Hope to god the doctor says he's good to go. With our luck we'll hear back next week that he needs surgery, and will miss WJCs and 6 months.

As a side note, how about that depth down the middle once he leaves OKC? The Oil desperately need some centers at all levels.

jmoss45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

With no Nuge maybe give Hall a look at C?

Hall
Lander
VV/Green/Martindale
Stockton call up ?

Maybe Pitlick slots in (haha) once he's healthy again?

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote