HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Ryan Pulock vs Morgan Rielly

Old
12-02-2012, 04:16 PM
The Saurus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
[Pulock] is better in his own end
Highly, highly debatable. In fact, I'd say from what I've seen from both thus far, Morgan Rielly has been better in his own end.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 04:31 PM
R S

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by vad87 View Post
Shea Weber's kind of offense (great first pass with a booming shot) vs Niedermayer's puck rushing and QB game?
Essentially, yes.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 05:54 PM
The Nuge
Global Moderator
Some Say...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Not in terms of hitting, but his protection of the puck, his core strength and his shot power are well above his age which makes him so effective, when other players are at the same physical level he likely wont be as dominant, or atleast in my opinion.
Fair enough. Personally I don't see it as much of an issue though. He seems to have a frame that could support another 20 lbs or so, which would allow him to play that same game in the pros

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 06:02 PM
R S

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Highly, highly debatable. In fact, I'd say from what I've seen from both thus far, Morgan Rielly has been better in his own end.
I would disagree with you, and I've seen them both 15-20 times, both live and online.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Thundermare

Quote:
Originally Posted by vad87 View Post
Shea Weber's kind of offense (great first pass with a booming shot) vs Niedermayer's puck rushing and QB game?
Agree on the style...

Thundermare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 07:24 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I would disagree with you, and I've seen them both 15-20 times, both live and online.
I have a different opinion.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 07:45 PM
Beleafer4

Take my opinion with a grain of salt because Im a leafs fan, but I would rather have rielly. That being said, I am a strong supporter of pulock and I think anything outside top 10 for him is an absolute crime. I think he is highly underrated and if he slips to 15 (like so many lists seem to have him), burke better trade up to get him. I wont forgive him if he doesnt in that senario.

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 07:46 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
I've seen both of these guys live, and have seen them quite a few times on TV, I'm pretty confident in this opinion. I think Pulock is clearly better in his own end, better positioning and more physical. Rielly is truly spectacular to watch with the puck, but IMO he has a lot of work to do defensively. Positioning is "meh," doesn't really play the body, just not that good at disrupting the offence. Great on breakouts, when he does get the puck in his own end that's pretty much the end of the offensive pressure for the other team, but otherwise his defensive play needs plenty of work, while Pulock is actually quite solid defensively.

Overall I think I would still rather have Rielly, but it's a tough comparison, they're just very different players. As others have mentioned, I do think they'd make a great pairing (and I thought they looked good when they played together in game 1 of the Super Series).

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 09:10 PM
Fearless Leaf*

Too close for me but I personally went with Pulock because he is safely the more complete player of the two while being a year younger. The guy really has great tools and if he hits his highest ceiling, I can see a Shea Weber like d-man in him. He has a booming shot, great outlet pass, can produce offence, play good defensively and ain't shy from getting physical.

That's not to say Rielly isn't great in his own right, I think he is clearly the more complete and creative offensive player and will likely be going forward but Pulock is well polished overall. I prefer his type more.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:43 AM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post
Too close for me but I personally went with Pulock because he is safely the more complete player of the two while being a year younger. The guy really has great tools and if he hits his highest ceiling, I can see a Shea Weber like d-man in him. He has a booming shot, great outlet pass, can produce offence, play good defensively and ain't shy from getting physical.

That's not to say Rielly isn't great in his own right, I think he is clearly the more complete and creative offensive player and will likely be going forward but Pulock is well polished overall. I prefer his type more.
He's not close to as big an physical as Weber, though, which is a huge part of Weber's game. I can sort of see the comparison to Weber in terms of his offensive game, but not his all around game. Ultimately Pulock is just his own player. Sick, sick shot, produces offence well without pinching a tonne or taking an excess amount of risks, pretty good skater, average/decent size, decently physical, positionally sound and solid in his own end. I'd say his shot is the only thing that stands out as elite, but he's quite good at more or less everything. I don't know that there's a great comparison out there in terms of current NHLers.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:03 AM
Liminality

Pulock is a great prospect. I think they're both high end potential type players but in their own sort of way. We'll see which style sticks better in the NHL hopefully in the not too distant future.

Liminality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Future

Couldn't you have done a search. There was already a thread about this like a month ago

Future is offline   Reply With Quote