HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mika Zibanejad is the real deal.

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2012, 04:08 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
I think you can find a couple predictor qualities when looking at euro prospects...

How long do they hold onto the puck for? Do they seem slow to notice their options? Even if they are good at moving the puck, if they cannot deal with a player bearing down on them then they will make poor decisions.

How good is their skating? On smaller ice, you might not need a great top gear, but enough gears to separate you from other players is what can buy you some time.

A player like Zibby IMO, does a decent job at moving the puck relatively quickly. He isnt gunna be that creative offense star that threads the needle out of nowhere, and I dont think people expect that.

But he can move it efficiently, and set himself up to shoot pretty well because he has above average mobility (including a nice explosive stride). I think for Mika the key is learning his role on NA ice, especially around the net. Once he finds his positioning a bit more I think it will only be a matter of time before he can get his shot off with more consistency. He tends to make decent decisions, I think he is learning he must make them faster.
And because he has good size he is not afraid to take a hit to make a play & doesn't mind as much the more physical play in NA.

Old
12-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
I don't think Zibanejad will ever be as good as Couturier. We're going to look pretty stupid for passing on him, but we won't be alone.
If you tally up times teams have looked stupid in the draft, by your standard, you'd realize all teams are ****ing retarded and it's not easy to determine who the least dumb team is.

Old
12-02-2012, 04:34 PM
18Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
If you tally up times teams have looked stupid in the draft, by your standard, you'd realize all teams are ****ing retarded and it's not easy to determine who the least dumb team is.
We have had our fair share of retardation. Daigle over Pronger, Lee over Kopitar, Those were humangus s

Old
12-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hossa View Post
We have had our fair share of retardation. Daigle over Pronger, Lee over Kopitar, Those were humangus
You're going back 20 years, every teams had em. And that said, I'm not concerned at all with the decisions of previous regimes.

Old
12-02-2012, 04:39 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
We have had our fair share of retardation. Daigle over Pronger, Lee over Kopitar, Those were humangus s
Back then no team would have taken Pronger over Daigle. So I wouldn't call taking Daigle over Pronger a case of stupidity.

Old
12-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Icelevel
Best Players Play

Zibanejad could end up being the best player in the entire draft.

Yes, it is possible.

edit: Agree with "Capital O" below

Last edited by Icelevel: 12-02-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old
12-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

Love Zibanejad.

He needs to grow as a man. He has the body but not the mind. He needs to get meaner, a lot meaner.

Someone should screw his girlfriend, or kidnap his dog or something.

The only time that I want to see a smile is after he lays someone out, or after a fight, and thats it. Man I wish he'd get in a fight.

But seriously he's thinking to much....JUST GIVER MIKA and let your instincts take over and dont stop moving your feet!!

Old
12-02-2012, 05:01 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
I'm sure you're just unaware and too young to understand but the bolded is a ludicrous statement. Passing over Daigle at the time would have been like passing over a Stamkos, Hall or Tavares. These are things you are required to know to have a passable opinion.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
I'm sure you're just unaware and too young to understand but the bolded is a ludicrous statement. Passing over Daigle at the time would have been like passing over a Stamkos, Hall or Tavares. These are things you are required to know to have a passable opinion.
But he did highlight how easy Captain Hindsight can crawl out of his hole to point out any mistake (in hindsight) at the draft.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:05 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Hindsight says Pronger was the man

Old
12-02-2012, 05:10 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

You make a valid point. We should appoint captain hindsight as chief scout. That would work out quite nicely.

Old
12-02-2012, 06:52 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

It's not hindsight when the whole world is watching Couturier drop. It's not hindsight when Staal & Kopitar are available and your GM picks some high school kid nobody had ever heard of.

Pronger over Daigle, or looking at a draft 5 years later and seeing stars picked late and *****ing about your draft... THAT is hindsight.

Old
12-02-2012, 06:59 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
It's not hindsight when the whole world is watching Couturier drop. It's not hindsight when Staal & Kopitar are available and your GM picks some high school kid nobody had ever heard of.

Pronger over Daigle, or looking at a draft 5 years later and seeing stars picked late and *****ing about your draft... THAT is hindsight.
So you brought up an example of the 2011 draft, and were still in 2012. If Zibanejad develops well, it will be nothing to gripe about. Getting a good player at one spot and seeing a better player go after is something teams live with several times in every draft. Too many teams though, select players, sometimes with high priority picks, that don't play in the league.

So yes, the 2005 example is one of scouting travesty.

Old
12-02-2012, 07:04 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
I can't believe we picked Klepis in '02 when we could have had Duncan Keith.

Old
12-02-2012, 07:36 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
So you brought up an example of the 2011 draft, and were still in 2012. If Zibanejad develops well, it will be nothing to gripe about. Getting a good player at one spot and seeing a better player go after is something teams live with several times in every draft. Too many teams though, select players, sometimes with high priority picks, that don't play in the league.

So yes, the 2005 example is one of scouting travesty.
I like Zibanejad, but don't you think it was kind of stupid to pass on a big center that at one time was rated #1 for a guy that MIGHT put it all together one day, and if / when he scores his 6th goal it will be his career high?

The Sens passed on Couturier on purpose. They didn't think Zibanejad was the better player skill wise. He's not, he never has been, and projecting him to one day be the better player?

That is what I call "wishful thinking".

Old
12-02-2012, 07:49 PM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
Zibanejad could end up being the best player in the entire draft.

Yes, it is possible.

edit: Agree with "Capital O" below
I wanted Couturier but I don't watch junior hockey so what do I know. I went on the fact that he had mono during his draft year.

I don't mind Zbad either, he as all the tools. We should talk in 3, 4 years.

In Murray We Trust, is my saying.

Old
12-02-2012, 07:54 PM
Rals

The mistake was winning games and losing landeskog.

And picking zib over couturier.

Old
12-02-2012, 08:04 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rals View Post
The mistake was winning games and losing landeskog.

And picking zib over couturier.
The mistake was not firing Clouston (or not making him play McBackup more).

We would have lost more games and wouldn't be having this debate.

Old
12-02-2012, 10:41 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
Back then no team would have taken Pronger over Daigle. So I wouldn't call taking Daigle over Pronger a case of stupidity.
This needs to be stressed more, for the younger fans around here.

Imagine if Sidney Crosby was a total bust... That's how hyped Daigle was. He was on the front of every magazine. He was an absolute phenom. He was such a sought-after player that the league literally changed their entry draft rules and put in a lottery system so that no team could ever "throw games" in order to get a prospect as generationally talented as Daigle was, as the Sens were accused of doing in '93.

Can you realistically imagine Pittsburgh, after ALL the hype Crosby got, deciding instead to take Bobby Ryan? Or Jack Johnson? No. No you can't. That's how silly, at the time, the Sens would have looked by taking Pronger instead of Daigle. It's not even realistic to think about.

Make no mistake about it: Alexander Daigle was among the most naturally gifted, talented teenagers ever drafted. The kid had every tool you could want, plus some. The PROBLEM was that his toolbox was about the size of a thimble, and his work ethic was, at best, questionable. He never worked on his game after being drafted. That Alex Daigle was hyped so hard and fell so far was due mostly to teams at the time not paying attention to character & psychological issues. In fact, Daigle is a HUGE reason why it's such a major part of team's prospect assessment these days.

So yeah. Picking Pronger over Daigle was never, ever going to happen. Every other team would have taken Daigle without hesitation.

Old
12-02-2012, 10:46 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Hindsight is a *****

Old
12-02-2012, 10:58 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
I like Zibanejad, but don't you think it was kind of stupid to pass on a big center that at one time was rated #1 for a guy that MIGHT put it all together one day, and if / when he scores his 6th goal it will be his career high?

The Sens passed on Couturier on purpose. They didn't think Zibanejad was the better player skill wise. He's not, he never has been, and projecting him to one day be the better player?

That is what I call "wishful thinking".
Zibanejad was the better in their draft years, quite clearly. Couturier was seen in a negative light by many in his draft year and we saw a big center from Sweden, with a first line quality skill set.

Like I said earlier, scouting is a game of who can make the fewest mistakes. Because they all make em in every round.

Old
12-02-2012, 11:02 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
This needs to be stressed more, for the younger fans around here.

Imagine if Sidney Crosby was a total bust... That's how hyped Daigle was. He was on the front of every magazine. He was an absolute phenom. He was such a sought-after player that the league literally changed their entry draft rules and put in a lottery system so that no team could ever "throw games" in order to get a prospect as generationally talented as Daigle was, as the Sens were accused of doing in '93.

Can you realistically imagine Pittsburgh, after ALL the hype Crosby got, deciding instead to take Bobby Ryan? Or Jack Johnson? No. No you can't. That's how silly, at the time, the Sens would have looked by taking Pronger instead of Daigle. It's not even realistic to think about.

Make no mistake about it: Alexander Daigle was among the most naturally gifted, talented teenagers ever drafted. The kid had every tool you could want, plus some. The PROBLEM was that his toolbox was about the size of a thimble, and his work ethic was, at best, questionable. He never worked on his game after being drafted. That Alex Daigle was hyped so hard and fell so far was due mostly to teams at the time not paying attention to character & psychological issues. In fact, Daigle is a HUGE reason why it's such a major part of team's prospect assessment these days.

So yeah. Picking Pronger over Daigle was never, ever going to happen. Every other team would have taken Daigle without hesitation.
Ya ya yayayayaa, Phil Kessel goes 1st overall if 2006 draft was in 1993.

Old
12-02-2012, 11:06 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Remember when people were saying Cowen was a terrible pick?

You can't judge picks so early on, give it a few years

Old
12-03-2012, 12:38 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Remember when people were saying Cowen was a terrible pick?

You can't judge picks so early on, give it a few years
LOL OH YEA! Hahaha, well said!

Old
12-03-2012, 01:11 AM
R2010

People also forget couts is a 1992 while Zibby is a 1993... Which does make a difference growing up playing hockey and at the draft table.

Closed Thread