HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mika Zibanejad is the real deal.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-02-2012, 04:08 PM
  #801
aragorn
YES WE CAN
 
aragorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Azores
Posts: 11,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
I think you can find a couple predictor qualities when looking at euro prospects...

How long do they hold onto the puck for? Do they seem slow to notice their options? Even if they are good at moving the puck, if they cannot deal with a player bearing down on them then they will make poor decisions.

How good is their skating? On smaller ice, you might not need a great top gear, but enough gears to separate you from other players is what can buy you some time.

A player like Zibby IMO, does a decent job at moving the puck relatively quickly. He isnt gunna be that creative offense star that threads the needle out of nowhere, and I dont think people expect that.

But he can move it efficiently, and set himself up to shoot pretty well because he has above average mobility (including a nice explosive stride). I think for Mika the key is learning his role on NA ice, especially around the net. Once he finds his positioning a bit more I think it will only be a matter of time before he can get his shot off with more consistency. He tends to make decent decisions, I think he is learning he must make them faster.
And because he has good size he is not afraid to take a hit to make a play & doesn't mind as much the more physical play in NA.

aragorn is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 04:30 PM
  #802
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
I don't think Zibanejad will ever be as good as Couturier. We're going to look pretty stupid for passing on him, but we won't be alone.
If you tally up times teams have looked stupid in the draft, by your standard, you'd realize all teams are ****ing retarded and it's not easy to determine who the least dumb team is.

Minister of Offence is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 04:34 PM
  #803
18Hossa
Registered User
 
18Hossa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
If you tally up times teams have looked stupid in the draft, by your standard, you'd realize all teams are ****ing retarded and it's not easy to determine who the least dumb team is.
We have had our fair share of retardation. Daigle over Pronger, Lee over Kopitar, Those were humangus s

18Hossa is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 04:36 PM
  #804
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hossa View Post
We have had our fair share of retardation. Daigle over Pronger, Lee over Kopitar, Those were humangus
You're going back 20 years, every teams had em. And that said, I'm not concerned at all with the decisions of previous regimes.

Minister of Offence is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 04:39 PM
  #805
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it
 
WasTeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: in your head
Country: Equatorial Guinea
Posts: 14,572
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hossa View Post
We have had our fair share of retardation. Daigle over Pronger, Lee over Kopitar, Those were humangus s
Back then no team would have taken Pronger over Daigle. So I wouldn't call taking Daigle over Pronger a case of stupidity.

WasTeD is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 04:41 PM
  #806
Icelevel
Best Players Play
 
Icelevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,782
vCash: 500
Zibanejad could end up being the best player in the entire draft.

Yes, it is possible.

edit: Agree with "Capital O" below


Last edited by Icelevel: 12-02-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Icelevel is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 04:54 PM
  #807
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,846
vCash: 500
Love Zibanejad.

He needs to grow as a man. He has the body but not the mind. He needs to get meaner, a lot meaner.

Someone should screw his girlfriend, or kidnap his dog or something.

The only time that I want to see a smile is after he lays someone out, or after a fight, and thats it. Man I wish he'd get in a fight.

But seriously he's thinking to much....JUST GIVER MIKA and let your instincts take over and dont stop moving your feet!!

Dysentery is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 05:01 PM
  #808
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup
 
FolignoQuantumLeap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: A Blue Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hossa View Post
We have had our fair share of retardation. Daigle over Pronger, Lee over Kopitar, Those were humangus s
I'm sure you're just unaware and too young to understand but the bolded is a ludicrous statement. Passing over Daigle at the time would have been like passing over a Stamkos, Hall or Tavares. These are things you are required to know to have a passable opinion.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 05:04 PM
  #809
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
I'm sure you're just unaware and too young to understand but the bolded is a ludicrous statement. Passing over Daigle at the time would have been like passing over a Stamkos, Hall or Tavares. These are things you are required to know to have a passable opinion.
But he did highlight how easy Captain Hindsight can crawl out of his hole to point out any mistake (in hindsight) at the draft.

Minister of Offence is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 05:05 PM
  #810
Holdurbreathe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
I'm sure you're just unaware and too young to understand but the bolded is a ludicrous statement. Passing over Daigle at the time would have been like passing over a Stamkos, Hall or Tavares. These are things you are required to know to have a passable opinion.
Hindsight says Pronger was the man

Holdurbreathe is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 05:10 PM
  #811
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup
 
FolignoQuantumLeap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: A Blue Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,724
vCash: 500
You make a valid point. We should appoint captain hindsight as chief scout. That would work out quite nicely.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 06:52 PM
  #812
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,211
vCash: 500
It's not hindsight when the whole world is watching Couturier drop. It's not hindsight when Staal & Kopitar are available and your GM picks some high school kid nobody had ever heard of.

Pronger over Daigle, or looking at a draft 5 years later and seeing stars picked late and *****ing about your draft... THAT is hindsight.

John Holmes* is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 06:59 PM
  #813
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
It's not hindsight when the whole world is watching Couturier drop. It's not hindsight when Staal & Kopitar are available and your GM picks some high school kid nobody had ever heard of.

Pronger over Daigle, or looking at a draft 5 years later and seeing stars picked late and *****ing about your draft... THAT is hindsight.
So you brought up an example of the 2011 draft, and were still in 2012. If Zibanejad develops well, it will be nothing to gripe about. Getting a good player at one spot and seeing a better player go after is something teams live with several times in every draft. Too many teams though, select players, sometimes with high priority picks, that don't play in the league.

So yes, the 2005 example is one of scouting travesty.

Minister of Offence is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 07:04 PM
  #814
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it
 
WasTeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: in your head
Country: Equatorial Guinea
Posts: 14,572
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
I can't believe we picked Klepis in '02 when we could have had Duncan Keith.

WasTeD is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 07:36 PM
  #815
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
So you brought up an example of the 2011 draft, and were still in 2012. If Zibanejad develops well, it will be nothing to gripe about. Getting a good player at one spot and seeing a better player go after is something teams live with several times in every draft. Too many teams though, select players, sometimes with high priority picks, that don't play in the league.

So yes, the 2005 example is one of scouting travesty.
I like Zibanejad, but don't you think it was kind of stupid to pass on a big center that at one time was rated #1 for a guy that MIGHT put it all together one day, and if / when he scores his 6th goal it will be his career high?

The Sens passed on Couturier on purpose. They didn't think Zibanejad was the better player skill wise. He's not, he never has been, and projecting him to one day be the better player?

That is what I call "wishful thinking".

John Holmes* is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 07:49 PM
  #816
guyzeur
Registered User
 
guyzeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
Zibanejad could end up being the best player in the entire draft.

Yes, it is possible.

edit: Agree with "Capital O" below
I wanted Couturier but I don't watch junior hockey so what do I know. I went on the fact that he had mono during his draft year.

I don't mind Zbad either, he as all the tools. We should talk in 3, 4 years.

In Murray We Trust, is my saying.

guyzeur is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 07:54 PM
  #817
Rals
Registered User
 
Rals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 902
vCash: 500
The mistake was winning games and losing landeskog.




And picking zib over couturier.

Rals is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 08:04 PM
  #818
PatrickEaves
We Lost
 
PatrickEaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rals View Post
The mistake was winning games and losing landeskog.




And picking zib over couturier.
The mistake was not firing Clouston (or not making him play McBackup more).

We would have lost more games and wouldn't be having this debate.

__________________
No, I'm not a girl. Stop asking!
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBlQ4ybRWH8
PatrickEaves is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 10:41 PM
  #819
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jakarta, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
Back then no team would have taken Pronger over Daigle. So I wouldn't call taking Daigle over Pronger a case of stupidity.
This needs to be stressed more, for the younger fans around here.

Imagine if Sidney Crosby was a total bust... That's how hyped Daigle was. He was on the front of every magazine. He was an absolute phenom. He was such a sought-after player that the league literally changed their entry draft rules and put in a lottery system so that no team could ever "throw games" in order to get a prospect as generationally talented as Daigle was, as the Sens were accused of doing in '93.

Can you realistically imagine Pittsburgh, after ALL the hype Crosby got, deciding instead to take Bobby Ryan? Or Jack Johnson? No. No you can't. That's how silly, at the time, the Sens would have looked by taking Pronger instead of Daigle. It's not even realistic to think about.

Make no mistake about it: Alexander Daigle was among the most naturally gifted, talented teenagers ever drafted. The kid had every tool you could want, plus some. The PROBLEM was that his toolbox was about the size of a thimble, and his work ethic was, at best, questionable. He never worked on his game after being drafted. That Alex Daigle was hyped so hard and fell so far was due mostly to teams at the time not paying attention to character & psychological issues. In fact, Daigle is a HUGE reason why it's such a major part of team's prospect assessment these days.

So yeah. Picking Pronger over Daigle was never, ever going to happen. Every other team would have taken Daigle without hesitation.

BonkTastic is online now  
Old
12-02-2012, 10:46 PM
  #820
Qward
Moderator
Because! That's why!
 
Qward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Behind you, look out
Posts: 14,024
vCash: 500
Hindsight is a *****

Qward is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 10:58 PM
  #821
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
I like Zibanejad, but don't you think it was kind of stupid to pass on a big center that at one time was rated #1 for a guy that MIGHT put it all together one day, and if / when he scores his 6th goal it will be his career high?

The Sens passed on Couturier on purpose. They didn't think Zibanejad was the better player skill wise. He's not, he never has been, and projecting him to one day be the better player?

That is what I call "wishful thinking".
Zibanejad was the better in their draft years, quite clearly. Couturier was seen in a negative light by many in his draft year and we saw a big center from Sweden, with a first line quality skill set.

Like I said earlier, scouting is a game of who can make the fewest mistakes. Because they all make em in every round.

Minister of Offence is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 11:02 PM
  #822
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
This needs to be stressed more, for the younger fans around here.

Imagine if Sidney Crosby was a total bust... That's how hyped Daigle was. He was on the front of every magazine. He was an absolute phenom. He was such a sought-after player that the league literally changed their entry draft rules and put in a lottery system so that no team could ever "throw games" in order to get a prospect as generationally talented as Daigle was, as the Sens were accused of doing in '93.

Can you realistically imagine Pittsburgh, after ALL the hype Crosby got, deciding instead to take Bobby Ryan? Or Jack Johnson? No. No you can't. That's how silly, at the time, the Sens would have looked by taking Pronger instead of Daigle. It's not even realistic to think about.

Make no mistake about it: Alexander Daigle was among the most naturally gifted, talented teenagers ever drafted. The kid had every tool you could want, plus some. The PROBLEM was that his toolbox was about the size of a thimble, and his work ethic was, at best, questionable. He never worked on his game after being drafted. That Alex Daigle was hyped so hard and fell so far was due mostly to teams at the time not paying attention to character & psychological issues. In fact, Daigle is a HUGE reason why it's such a major part of team's prospect assessment these days.

So yeah. Picking Pronger over Daigle was never, ever going to happen. Every other team would have taken Daigle without hesitation.
Ya ya yayayayaa, Phil Kessel goes 1st overall if 2006 draft was in 1993.

Minister of Offence is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 11:06 PM
  #823
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan
 
saskriders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,062
vCash: 500
Remember when people were saying Cowen was a terrible pick?


You can't judge picks so early on, give it a few years

saskriders is online now  
Old
12-03-2012, 12:38 AM
  #824
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek
 
ReginKarlssonLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 22,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Remember when people were saying Cowen was a terrible pick?


You can't judge picks so early on, give it a few years
LOL OH YEA! Hahaha, well said!

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now  
Old
12-03-2012, 01:11 AM
  #825
R2010
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 641
vCash: 500
People also forget couts is a 1992 while Zibby is a 1993... Which does make a difference growing up playing hockey and at the draft table.

R2010 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.