HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In the System Part III (All Preds minor league and prospect talk)

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
im no prospect guru by any means but doesnt it seem that Puustinen and Salomaki are underperforming from where we thought they would be? werent we thinking they would both be scorers? or am I misremembering?

Just looking at that list I dont see a whole lot of hope for eventually replacing guys like Erat or SK in three years or so...
Puustinen is coming off of a season-ending knee injury from last season (fractured knee cap), so I'm going to give him a bit of a pass for a slow start. Salomaki is coming off of a ruptured spleen and is playing as a 19 yo against men. I think judging his performance off of stats alone is a bit misleading.

Old
11-26-2012, 06:17 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Think the Admirals playoff streak is going to be broken this year. This team just isn't that good relative to the rest of the league.
I think you are jumping off the bandwagon prematurely!

The Ads offense started slowly. They have had some key players injured. They have played 78% of their games on the road. With 5 out of 6 points on the road this weekend, they are at .500.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:45 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

follow up on earlier conversation about Cam Reid:

He is currently on a PTO with the Ads(as of yesterday,) but IS a free agent. The NCAA rule applies to a player as of the date he leaves college. Since he didn't finish his career at SCSU, choosing to leave for Portland of the WHL, we had 30 days from the time he left school to sign him. We did not, so he can sign with whomever he pleases at this point. We do not hold his rights, as of now.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:38 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
follow up on earlier conversation about Cam Reid:

He is currently on a PTO with the Ads(as of yesterday,) but IS a free agent. The NCAA rule applies to a player as of the date he leaves college. Since he didn't finish his career at SCSU, choosing to leave for Portland of the WHL, we had 30 days from the time he left school to sign him. We did not, so he can sign with whomever he pleases at this point. We do not hold his rights, as of now.
Yeah, I saw your conversation with Aaron and others on Twitter this weekend. Makes sense. I thought they had until June 30th of his senior year to sign him, but guess that wasn't the case. Reid picked up an assist this weekend for his first point in the AHL...

Old
11-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Hetenyi and Hellberg switch spots. Probably to get more playing time for Hellberg, if I had to guess. Excited to see what Hetenyi does in the AHL. Still think the guy is awesome.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:31 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Hetenyi and Hellberg switch spots. Probably to get more playing time for Hellberg, if I had to guess. Excited to see what Hetenyi does in the AHL. Still think the guy is awesome.
I think Zoltan is going to open and close a bench door. I see Smith playing. But Hetenyi will get to practice against real AHL/NHL players. It will prepare him for his eventual debut in the AHL.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:38 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
I think Zoltan is going to open and close a bench door. I see Smith playing. But Hetenyi will get to practice against real AHL/NHL players. It will prepare him for his eventual debut in the AHL.
Agreed, Smith is the clear No. 1 in Milwaukee. Hellberg and Hetenyi will interchange between the two levels all season long with one getting starts in Cincinnati (split affiliate) and the other mainly getting quality practice time and the occasional start at the AHL level.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:11 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
He gave up 19 goals in 7 games in the ECHL and was the worse of the 'Clones two goalies on performance by a lot, so I don't really see him getting much time between the sticks for Milwaukee. Smith hasn't been good, but he hasn't been so bad as to be supplanted by a guy with an .878 save percentage in the ECHL...

Old
11-29-2012, 11:41 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
He gave up 19 goals in 7 games in the ECHL and was the worse of the 'Clones two goalies on performance by a lot, so I don't really see him getting much time between the sticks for Milwaukee. Smith hasn't been good, but he hasn't been so bad as to be supplanted by a guy with an .878 save percentage in the ECHL...
sounds like the move is all about Hellberg getting starts in the ECHL not Hetenyi at all...

Old
11-30-2012, 01:35 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
yes, but he really impressed TSS in prospect camp...

Old
11-30-2012, 02:37 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
yes, but he really impressed TSS in prospect camp...

I like the guy's style, ok?

Old
11-30-2012, 04:30 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
sounds like the move is all about Hellberg getting starts in the ECHL not Hetenyi at all...
In various forums, I've heard Mitch Korn mention weaknesses in each goalie's game that he's working to address. Both goalies are prospects they are working with, with Hetenyi really having more to prove than Hellberg due to being undrafted.

The one thing that is common among both is that neither played baseball growing up, Rinne played a version of baseball in Finland growing up that is called Pesäpallo and aided in his development of a great glove hand. The glove is definitely something they are working on with each goalie. FWIW, Lindback couldn't do anything with the puck in terms of stickhandling when he arrived, but when he was traded, it was one of the skills that Tampa Bay was looking for and felt he excelled at. Just because a player lacks a skill at present doesn't mean he won't be able to develop that skill if he's committed to working at it.

I'm working with a goalie right now that coming into the season had no prior goaltending experience outside of street hockey. He's a great listener and very open to every piece of instruction you give him so much so that you have to watch how you say something because he will do it exactly as you describe. If Hellberg and Hetenyi have anywhere close to the same willingness to learn, they are in great hands working with Korn and Vanderklok this season...

Old
11-30-2012, 11:34 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

any of you prospect hounds know anything about Seth Jones?

I was just browsing info on some former NBA players with KY ties and found out this kid is the son of former Murray State star (and current Brooklyn Nets assistant coach) Popeye Jones..

Popeye is originally from Dresden, TN

would be pretty awesome if his kid ended up a Pred....

edit: if I'm reading this right he was Captain of Team USA in the U18 WJC...

Old
12-01-2012, 01:10 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
any of you prospect hounds know anything about Seth Jones?

I was just browsing info on some former NBA players with KY ties and found out this kid is the son of former Murray State star (and current Brooklyn Nets assistant coach) Popeye Jones..

Popeye is originally from Dresden, TN

would be pretty awesome if his kid ended up a Pred....

edit: if I'm reading this right he was Captain of Team USA in the U18 WJC...
The best chance we have to get him is likely if the season is cancelled and we win the lottery. He is a top 3 pick.

Old
12-01-2012, 05:12 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
The best chance we have to get him is likely if the season is cancelled and we win the lottery. He is a top 3 pick.
That sucks, well good for him, but for us. With all the forwards we took this past summer, I'm envisioning some Dmen being selected early on for us.

Old
12-01-2012, 10:24 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Jones will likely go 2nd overall. As of right now, Mackinnon is #1, Jones #2, Barkov #3.

Old
12-01-2012, 10:52 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Jones will likely go 2nd overall. As of right now, Mackinnon is #1, Jones #2, Barkov #3.
Barlow is rising up the charts too. This might become a 4 horse race. But the draft year says Poile picks a d-man

Old
12-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Barlow is rising up the charts too. This might become a 4 horse race. But the draft year says Poile picks a d-man
I think we need to pick a Dman first, to be honest. We just picked up Sissons and Aberg with our first two picks last year, and with Josi, Blum, Ellis, and Ekholm all nearing graduation, the pool of Rousell, Bitetto, Noonan, and Jarvinen isn't exactly top notch. Watson, Latta, Beck, Cehlin, Sissons, Aberg, Salomaki, Budish, and Leipsic are a much better group IMO. Goalies shouldnt be a concern with Smith, Hellberg, and personal-man-crush Hetenyi. Maybe a late rounder, but no need to spend a 1st or 2nd.

If the season is cancelled, it will be very interesting to see what happens. We only have one ball in the lottery, but anything can happen. If we could land a top 3 pick, it would just be unreal.

Fun fact: Columbus has 5 of the 50 balls this year, since they have 3 firsts (3 balls for theirs, 1 for LAs, 1 for NYRs). It is possible (HIGHLY unlikely, but possible), they could pick #1, #2, and #3.

Old
12-01-2012, 11:07 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Fun fact: Columbus has 5 of the 50 balls this year, since they have 3 firsts (3 balls for theirs, 1 for LAs, 1 for NYRs). It is possible (HIGHLY unlikely, but possible), they could pick #1, #2, and #3.
Yeah I know. I posted a thread on that a few months ago [/hipster]

But you ask Bj's fans they will twitch, ball up into a fetal position and cry they will get 28,29,30

What could be fun and bring levels of comedy to a new level is NJ has to forfeit this year's pick imagine. They win #1 and poof! All gone.

Old
12-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Yeah I know. I posted a thread on that a few months ago [/hipster]

But you ask Bj's fans they will twitch, ball up into a fetal position and cry they will get 28,29,30

What could be fun and bring levels of comedy to a new level is NJ has to forfeit this year's pick imagine. They win #1 and poof! All gone.
They do have to forfeit the pick, don't they? It was either last year or this year, and they picked last year.

This whole "anyone can win" deal is really going to be interesting. Can you imagine LA/NYR/PHI/PIT adding MacKinnon or Jones?

Old
12-01-2012, 08:12 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Quote:
wow... hows that for progress.. an african-american son of an NBA player from Tennessee is a top 3 NHL draft pick....

Old
12-01-2012, 09:00 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
wow... hows that for progress.. an african-american son of an NBA player from Tennessee is a top 3 NHL draft pick....
Southern expansion is a failure. Contract Phoenix and Florida and move Nashville and Carolina to Toronto and Quebec City!

Old
12-01-2012, 09:27 PM
adsfan

Quote:
I think we need to pick a Dman first, to be honest. We just picked up Sissons and Aberg with our first two picks last year, and with Josi, Blum, Ellis, and Ekholm all nearing graduation, the pool of Rousell, Bitetto, Noonan, and Jarvinen isn't exactly top notch. Watson, Latta, Beck, Cehlin, Sissons, Aberg, Salomaki, Budish, and Leipsic are a much better group IMO. Goalies shouldnt be a concern with Smith, Hellberg, and personal-man-crush Hetenyi. Maybe a late rounder, but no need to spend a 1st or 2nd.

If the season is cancelled, it will be very interesting to see what happens. We only have one ball in the lottery, but anything can happen. If we could land a top 3 pick, it would just be unreal.

Jarvinen is a keeper. He has only 2 points in 18 games, but he is a steady D-man, a big hitter in the defensive zone at 230 lbs. He has caught on to the NA style quickly.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:11 PM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

A big suprise and a bit of a shock. But Pontus Åberg has been snubbed by coach Roger Rönnberg for the WJC. He feels like there are 13 better forwards out there.

I'm very curious to see who they are.. I can maybe think of 6-7 forwards who are better than Åberg. Not more than that. No way.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
Jarvinen is a keeper. He has only 2 points in 18 games, but he is a steady D-man, a big hitter in the defensive zone at 230 lbs. He has caught on to the NA style quickly.
Do you see an NHL future in him? And I don't doubt some of those guys can be bottom pairing players, but I'm seeing a lot more Sulzers than Kleins.

Closed Thread