HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

My shots keep getting blocked by D

Old
11-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

vCash: 500
My shots keep getting blocked by D

I'm a forward coming into the offensive zone, or I'm already in the slot...

1- The problem happens when there's a D between me and the goalie and I want to use the screen to score.
2- I play in a new league with no slap shots. My slaps that I've always used before in this situation would get through most of the time (maybe the Ds aren't as brave when it's a slap?).
3- I'm stuck using short snaps or wrist shots.
4-A majority of my shots get blocked before getting to the goal.

Are there tricks? Shoot between the Ds leg? On his stick side? On the other side? Past his stick? Under his stick? etc... Are there videos that show a "how to"?

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 02:44 PM
Ozz

I've always had success shooting through their legs, but you can't just assume they will be spread so you might have to work to open them up. Or you can always cut quickly one way or the other and create some space for yourself. If you have the hands you can put the puck through him and let off a quick shot when you pick it back up. Lots of times goalies will be thrown off by that even without a screen, though it probably won't do you any good if you haven't got a good shot to back it up.

As a forward who plays and blocks shots a lot in his own zone, I block more slapshots than wristers or snappers from defensemen. I never take any of my own when coming in the zone, and I rarely get blocked with my wristers

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 02:47 PM
wreckless

practice pull n draggin the puck to create a slight opening.. the screen will still be in effect.

also shoot low.

wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
I've always had success shooting through their legs, but you can't just assume they will be spread so you might have to work to open them up. Or you can always cut quickly one way or the other and create some space for yourself. If you have the hands you can put the puck through him and let off a quick shot when you pick it back up. Lots of times goalies will be thrown off by that even without a screen, though it probably won't do you any good if you haven't got a good shot to back it up.

As a forward who plays and blocks shots a lot in his own zone, I block more slapshots than wristers or snappers from defensemen. I never take any of my own when coming in the zone, and I rarely get blocked with my wristers
Maybe it's a question of tells on my part, crossing the blue line or in the high slot, maybe it's obvious I'm going to shoot when I wrist or snap? Taking a slap shot or half-slap has been my main weapon from these areas for years, (despite the bigger wind-up) there might be something unconscious that makes it more effective? I just tried to power it through the D without thinking.

Old
11-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Try to move the puck laterally a bit before shooting. Fake the shot and either toe drag pull or cut outside just a bit.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Try to move the puck laterally a bit before shooting. Fake the shot and either toe drag pull or cut outside just a bit.
I'm working on my toe-drag shot. It's a work in progress... For some reason Ds are still adjusting and picking it up more often than not. Maybe I don't have the proper distance from the D?

I'm also trying to shoot more from my off leg... Also a work in progress.

Old
11-16-2012, 03:07 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Are you faking a shot before you toe drag? That might help. It might freeze them like a goalie. Just a little shoulder dip, or head bob or something might work.

Old
11-16-2012, 03:07 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Also, how do you not have this as your avatar?

Old
11-16-2012, 03:12 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Also, how do you not have this as your avatar?

I have. Just changing things up a bit.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:13 PM
CanucksSayEh

Shoot high and hard once and they will not stand infront of you for the rest of the game.............. seriously though, plenty of pros are notorious for not getting shots through. If you're looking for a deflection or rebound, you don't have to hit the dead centre of the net, aim for the sides and even a little wide to open your range. If you're alone, well, time to learn that fancy stuff.

CanucksSayEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 10:01 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckless View Post
practice pull n draggin the puck to create a slight opening.. the screen will still be in effect.

also shoot low.
I agree with this. I also find having a short follow through also helps, not sure why that is...

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 04:53 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Lateral movement with your body and or the puck.

Lonny Bohonos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:36 AM
flyers10

Pull it in to change the angle and snap it off. This Easton video explains it.

http://youtu.be/sp3yNDYzshg

flyers10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:14 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers10 View Post
Pull it in to change the angle and snap it off. This Easton video explains it.

http://youtu.be/sp3yNDYzshg
Had never seen that video. Thanks alot.

Old
11-18-2012, 09:30 AM
Frankie Spankie

Heh, personally, in that situation, I just make sure I can get it through the defender. You may be trying to pick a corner on net but that won't be useful if you can't get it past the defender. You have a good idea of where the net is, just throw it on net but focus on getting it through the defender as a priority. I usually do that and there's still enough of a screen that even a shot that isn't that close to a corner still ends up going in just because of the quicker reaction time required by goalies.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 04:19 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Shoot it low just anything to get it past them. If anything it will deflect off their legs on net.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
1- The problem happens when there's a D between me and the goalie and I want to use the screen to score.
2- I play in a new league with no slap shots. My slaps that I've always used before in this situation would get through most of the time (maybe the Ds aren't as brave when it's a slap?).
3- I'm stuck using short snaps or wrist shots.
4-A majority of my shots get blocked before getting to the goal.
Ok, let me take a stab.

1) Ya, that's a problem indeed.

2) Well, that rule kinda sucks, but, slapshots are somewhat overrated unless you have a bomb, or have like the most amazing placement ever. They are also way easier to block than a wrister or snap because 99% of players telegraph the **** out of their shots. You're better off with the sick wrister.

3) This is a good thing, bare with me a sec. I know the big slapper gets the praise and the oooh's and ahh's when they go in, but the reality is, they don't nearly as much as the sweet wrister/snap. I'm probably the worst defenceman ever, but if I forward comes down on me and starts to wind up for a slapper, my eyes get wide and I go in and poke/deflect that stuff away. I think any goalie will also tell you, the wristers are much more of a problem than slappers.

4) Eh, that's tough to comment on without seeing you in action.

Anyway, my advice, take wristers, snapers, and crash. If the defenceman gives you a hole to shoot through, as in his legs, use that. Don't try to shoot through anybody, it'll never go through, but if he's skating backwards, and his legs are planted, he's not gonna be able to block most shots you take unless you are shooting it right into him. Getting it on net is worth more than trying for a perfect shot and having it blocked. So many goals come off garbage shots, it's always worth just putting it on net.

Last edited by Toonces: 12-02-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 06:25 PM
noobman

Any tips on how to aim the shot if you're using the D as the screen?

I've got the shot using the D as a screen down, but I can't figure out how to aim the shot. Every time I do it I put the puck right in the goalie's chest.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 06:27 PM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post

I've got the shot using the D as a screen down, but I can't figure out how to aim the shot. Every time I do it I put the puck right in the goalie's chest.
Goalies can't stop what they can't see (unless they get lucky), I try to just not shoot at the middle of the net and aim for a corner.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

vCash: 50
For beginners on breakaways, start with going backhand, and as you go, try going faster to your backhand, you'll find a lot more open net. After you can do that, start to try faking the shot before going backhand, and you'll find success. Watch these highlights of Alex Burrows going backhand and you'll see what I mean.

Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Thesensation19

Watch the pro level, see what they do. In all honesty this is not a hard problem. Go by yourself and set up obstacles. Move, dangle, stay stationary, shoot low, shoot high, work on touch and first touch and one timers and holding onto the puck.

Its practice/repetition... you need more poise. Look at guys like Karlsson, he destroyed the Rangers last year. So much poise and control on top of skating. Its not hard at all to not hit a defender every single time

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post

Technique and strategy brother. Different speed, power, location etc Garage practice

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:32 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Put the puck in a shooting position and hesitate for an extra second while skating/coasting. A lot of the time the D will unconsciously commit to the shot and the hesitation means that you'll move a bit off the lane they froze in, giving you the shot. That or drop the shoulder/snap the wrists a bit and actually sell the fake.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:15 AM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Put the puck in a shooting position and hesitate for an extra second while skating/coasting. A lot of the time the D will unconsciously commit to the shot and the hesitation means that you'll move a bit off the lane they froze in, giving you the shot. That or drop the shoulder/snap the wrists a bit and actually sell the fake.
Just did that last night (to the goalie) when shooting from the top of the circle. He bought the fake, committed to short side, and I sniped the far corner.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:37 AM
lilphill23

vCash: 390
you could check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmtTLZC__y8&feature=plcp

This channel also has other great tips and techniques on and off the ice.

lilphill23 is offline   Reply With Quote