HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Lockout Thread #3: The Rollercoaster Continues...

View Poll Results: When will the lockout end?
December 15-31st,2012 6 19.35%
January 2013 13 41.94%
September 2013 6 19.35%
October 2013-December 2013 2 6.45%
January 2014 0 0%
September 2014 0 0%
October 2014-January 2015 0 0%
NHL is gone forever 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2012, 04:24 PM
#ualberta

vCash: 500
Lockout Thread #3: The Rollercoaster Continues...

Last thread is full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
If the owners and players really gave a damn about the fans they would agree to something like:

- Players come back and play for $500 per game plus insurance coverage;
- Owners charge $5 per person per game to cover player costs;
- all TV and advertising revenue going to a 3rd party to administer to cover arena overhead with anything left over going to charity.

At least the fans would be entertained while they settle their sandbox fight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
Not sure if serious...
Quote:
Why not? Set it up so both sides make no real money, but the fans are at least kept involved.

Perhaps the players would realize then, why they play this game in the first place; and the owners would realize they need the fans and players to make this league work.

This lock out is all about greedy owners and players 'taking' ... maybe for once they should consider 'giving'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
@aaronward_nhl: Source,Meeting involving NHl Owners and Players to take place Tuesday with 6 Owners and approximately same number of players. #TSN

Not saying anything will come out of this meeting but its worth a try I guess
It'll be interesting to see which players and which owners i heard nyr Pitt and mtl owners were interested in taking part
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
I can't tell if you are an idealist or delusional, though often they are synonymous. I see where you come from, and it's nice to think that players play because they love the game. The fact is that the world does not work that way. If no one made any money, then what is the point?

The owners and players do give us something: entertainment.

Time and time again, supply and demand will dictate the outcome. As long as fans are willing to show up the game will go on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
This should provide more laughs.
Quote:
Well, it's nice to think you believe I'm delusional. I'll keep them to myself from now on, so as not to affend you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Lockout thread on the main board has the meeting slated for Tuesday and there is a list of 6 owners. Jacobs is on that list.
Quote:
@KatieStrangESPN: #CBA Can confirm: players/owners-only meeting will take place. Six owners are Jacobs, Edwards, Chipman, Burkle, Tannenbaum and Vinik

Can someone figure out which teams these owners are from i'm not quite sure

@TSNBobMcKenzie: NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly will also be part of the meeting. I believe players to attend the meeting are being selected now.
Quote:
McKenzie just tweeted that the PA is in the process of selecting the players who will participate.

Horcoff - "Pick me! Pick me!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Graduate business major who was a player rep for years. Probably not out of the realm of possibility that he`s picked.
Quote:
Jacobs - Bruins
Edwards - One of the Flames owners
Chipman - Jets
Burkle - Penguins
Tannenbaum - Leafs
Vinik - Lightning

Even if Katz wanted to participate the NHL would probably tell him to bugger off. I know I would.

Last edited by 402: 12-06-2012 at 01:21 AM.
Old
12-02-2012, 04:29 PM
#ualberta

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Having "staff" member from each side present in meeting was NHLPA request. NHL opted for Daly, which means PA will counter with Steve Fehr.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: NHLPA has not yet chosen the players who will attend the meeting or confirmed which PA staff will be there.

I think it's stupid to have staff members from both sides defeats the purpose imo it was a pa' request i believe

Old
12-02-2012, 04:38 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
What are the odds they seal a deal from this 6 on 6 face to face meeting? 100-1 ... 1000-1?

Personally I think it should have been an owner (or owner rep) from every single team and same goes for a player rep from every team.

Pretty hard to see 6 players and 6 owners agreeing to a deal knowing they only represent a fraction on both sides.

Of course they could take some sort of compromise proposal back to the full set of owners/players and we could be seeing NHL hockey next week. Ya I'm delusional.

edit: Just read above that they are still going to have "staff" from each side there as well. I agree... defeats the whole purpose of the meeting... trying to get the ego and "tools" out of the way to get down to face to face views from the players and owners.

Odds of anything productive coming out of this are infinitely small.

Old
12-02-2012, 04:45 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

At this point they should settle it the old fashioned hockey way... Put Fehr on skates and have him skate in on Bettman in net for a penalty shot.

Fehr scores... the players get their deal... Bettman saves it... the owners get their proposal. Settle it on the ice... sounds fair to me.

Old
12-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
At this point they should settle it the old fashioned hockey way... Put Fehr on skates and have him skate in on Bettman in net for a penalty shot.

Fehr scores... the players get their deal... Bettman saves it... the owners get their proposal. Settle it on the ice... sounds fair to me.
If only life was like a Disney movie

Old
12-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Spector's Hockey ‏@SpectorsHockey
Owner-player meeting on Tuesday. NHL BoG meeting on Wednesday. Guess which meeting will have most impact upon direction of #NHLCBA talks?
Quote:
To sum up: Expect Tuesday's owner-player #NHL meeting to be mere window-dressing. Not expecting anything of consequence to emerge from it.
Yup. I hope that they officially cancel the season before the end of the week. It's time to end the BS.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Looks like Pronger's career is over.

Quote:
On a sadder note, as per @BroadStBull, Chris Pronger has moved to St. Louis with his family, his #NHL career likely over due to concussion.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

If there's not traction from this players/owners meeting, probably just best to cancel the season, because, it isn't going to get done, imo.

Old
12-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
If there's not traction from this players/owners meeting, probably just best to cancel the season, because, it isn't going to get done, imo.
Yeah no point in dragging it out until February like last time. Fehr has the players under his control.

Can't wait for the barrage of tweets from guys like Whitney, Cole, etc talking about how "we understand the fans are hurting too". Do they think that's buying them sympathy?

Old
12-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Except the joke's on them. The fans aren't hurting this time around. We're actually laughing at them.

Old
12-02-2012, 06:07 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
What are the odds they seal a deal from this 6 on 6 face to face meeting? 100-1 ... 1000-1?

Personally I think it should have been an owner (or owner rep) from every single team and same goes for a player rep from every team.

Pretty hard to see 6 players and 6 owners agreeing to a deal knowing they only represent a fraction on both sides.

Of course they could take some sort of compromise proposal back to the full set of owners/players and we could be seeing NHL hockey next week. Ya I'm delusional.

edit: Just read above that they are still going to have "staff" from each side there as well. I agree... defeats the whole purpose of the meeting... trying to get the ego and "tools" out of the way to get down to face to face views from the players and owners.

Odds of anything productive coming out of this are infinitely small.
30 owners and 30 players is a lot of people I think there's a better chance of having some traction or at least positive dialogue with a smaller group and I hope isn't that these 6 owners and players get together and sign a deal the hope is that some good discussion happens maybe ideas are passed around that lead to some traction then the sides could have internal discussion including a larger group and go from there

Old
12-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Shane Jones ‏@realshanejones
Asked Oiler Ryan Smyth if he'd be working at skate-sharpening shop he opened in Sherwood Park today. "We'll see how long the lockout lasts"
Poor Smytty.

Old
12-02-2012, 06:26 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Except the joke's on them. The fans aren't hurting this time around. We're actually laughing at them.
yeah, that's kind of it this time... i'll watch the oilers again whenever the NHL returns (as long as the NHLPA hasn't decertified and made everybody a UFA, cause i'm done with the league at that point).... but i'm finding i don't really miss it this time around, not like i did in 2004 anyhow... i'm a DIE-HARD oilers fan as well, i imagine the apathy in the states in about one hundred times as much as mine is

Old
12-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
yeah, that's kind of it this time... i'll watch the oilers again whenever the NHL returns (as long as the NHLPA hasn't decertified and made everybody a UFA, cause i'm done with the league at that point).... but i'm finding i don't really miss it this time around, not like i did in 2004 anyhow... i'm a DIE-HARD oilers fan as well, i imagine the apathy in the states in about one hundred times as much as mine is
Yeah that's the scary part, I haven't really been aching for hockey to come back like in 2004/2005. Actually, its kinda nice not wasting 3 hours of your night watching Cam Barker and Shawn Horcoff stink it up out there.

Old
12-02-2012, 06:33 PM
nullterm

Quote:
Kinda sad to see. Guy still had some seasons in the tank. I'll keep trading for that nasty old SOB as long as they have him in NHL 13/14/etc.

Old
12-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone
Well, it's nice to think you believe I'm delusional. I'll keep them to myself from now on, so as not to affend you.
Look, I'm not trying to be offensive, but thinking players would just play for fun (and not money), and that owners are not in it for the money is just crazy.

I love pizza. I think my pizza guy should just give away pizza at the cost of production (prob like 2 dollars) because he should like pizza too.

I love my internet. I think my ISP should share this same passion and sell me internet for 10 dollars a month because that corporation should like it too.

What industry do you work at? Would you like to work for no pay?

Then what happens? Okay, everything is really cheap and close to free (yay theoretical communism). However, now there's no incentive to do anything...precisely for that reason. Okay, now lets just sit on our ***** and let our society rot to hell.

Sorry, I am a passionate capitalist.

Old
12-02-2012, 06:39 PM
AK Dandyman

Here's the (my) players list for the players/owners meeting:

Paul bissonnette: "I'll meet with the owners. Dinner. On their tab. At Mastro's Ocean Club. I'm getting the bone in filet and 2 seafood towers for an appetizer "

Brandon Prust: "Gary bettman's autobiography is in stores now. It's titled 'how I destroyed a sport and a nation"

Ian White: "I got to be honest, I personally think he's an idiot'' Owners can ask him about if Bettman's an idiot, what does that say about the people that hired him?

Kris Versteeg: "...you've got to look for the cancers and you've got to cut out cancers. I think when you look at Bill Daly and Bettman, they've been polluting this game for far too long"

Coby Armstrong: "The NHLPA is uninterested in making the deal owners want. "

Shane Doan: on Bettman suggesting players/owners meeting, "Obviously the owner probably wouldn't come on to the ice to play us in a game..." Owners may check with Shane if the players don't know much about business and cba negotiations, how do the players know that Fehr does and if Fehr is doing the right thing for them?

Shawn Horcoff: "I deserved everything including big salary, long term contract, my captaincy and a practice Jersey!"

Special security force as to protect this meeting from hackers and impersonators:

Jeff O’Neill: "And Bettman stop talking to the media. I wanna 'make whole' in your fkn head." "My last tweet was inappropriate. Someone hacked my acct."

George Laraque: "The CHLPA has, and continues to deny that Randy Gumbley has any involvement with the CHLPA or that Derek Clarke is Randy Gumbley..."

Special Ambassador Translator (in case the players and owners don't speak the same language and having trouble understanding each others):

Mr. Esa Tikkanen

Let's get a deal done!

Old
12-02-2012, 06:40 PM
nullterm

I'm glad Katz isn't in the negotiations. Based on how he completely screwed up the whole arena thing, we'll see him scouting scab players in Europe/Russia and then the PA will explode. He'd take the lockout into the summer of 2014.

... and then ask the City to subsidize the lockout.

Old
12-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Home alone with Lauren one gotta think his lifes over as well...

Enjoyable life that is. Maybe he can take up an out of town hobby. Scouting puck bunnies and ice cheerleaders or something.

AS to the topic of this thread I'd like more info on the players side. If we're really getting any different view than the 6 players selected should NOT be team Reps and the owners selected should NOT be part of the ongoing deliberation. Get some different voices, opinions, gauge the take of those not in the usual proceedings.

If this is players reps its just garbage. I think in general the reps aren't all that representative. Usually just the died in the wool fervent NHLPA type. Get some moderates in there. Doubt the NHLPA would do that.

Old
12-02-2012, 06:44 PM
ejams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Home alone with Lauren one gotta think his lifes over as well...

Enjoyable life that is. Maybe he can take up an out of town hobby.
Very long fishing trips.

Old
12-02-2012, 07:05 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

AS to the topic of this thread I'd like more info on the players side. If we're really getting any different view than the 6 players selected should NOT be team Reps and the owners selected should NOT be part of the ongoing deliberation. Get some different voices, opinions, gauge the take of those not in the usual proceedings.

If this is players reps its just garbage. I think in general the reps aren't all that representative. Usually just the died in the wool fervent NHLPA type. Get some moderates in there. Doubt the NHLPA would do that.
Well the 6 owners selected have not all taken part in past talks so we are seeing new faces from the leagues side. I actually like the 6 owners there are a combination of struggling teams and the leagues most profitable. We'll have to wait and see what the pa offers up hopefully and combination of guys like Crosby and guys like Ryan jones

Here's D. Fehr statement on the talks

“The NHLPA has agreed to a meeting on Tuesday in New York that should facilitate dialogue between Players and Owners. Neither the Commissioner nor I will be present, although each side will have a limited number of staff or counsel present.
There will be Owners attending this meeting who have not previously done so, which is encouraging and which we welcome. We hope that this meeting will be constructive and lead to a dialogue that will help us find a way to reach an agreement.”

Last edited by 402: 12-02-2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Typos
Old
12-02-2012, 07:42 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

The two sides aren't apart by all that much. What is it now ~180 million?

I suggest (and of course everyone will listen )... that the "gap" amount be donated to charity on behalf of the owners and players.

Neither side is starving and both can live without that gap amount anyway. Plus you get goodwill from the fans and public for giving $180+ million yearly to a worthwhile charity or charities... cancer, heart, MS, etc.

That would immediately settle the dispute AND will likely get the fans back in the stands in maximum amounts instead of everyone viewing this battle as a war between two sides of spoiled, rich millionaires and billionaires (which it is).

Again... this proposal is way too logical and simple so it will never be accepted by either side.

Old
12-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
@TSNBobMcKenzie: Having "staff" member from each side present in meeting was NHLPA request. NHL opted for Daly, which means PA will counter with Steve Fehr.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: NHLPA has not yet chosen the players who will attend the meeting or confirmed which PA staff will be there.

I think it's stupid to have staff members from both sides defeats the purpose imo it was a pa' request i believe
Yup it completely defeats the purpose and does nothing but piss off the Fehr's when the owners start trashing them.

12-02-2012, 09:03 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

This entire lockout is stupid.

I've never seen so many intelligent men act like complete idiots.

I'm not going to side with the NHL or the NHLPA. I side with the fan that wants the game to return.

Figure it out Bettman and Fehr.

I don't have the patience for your ****.

Old
12-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
Quote:
I suggest (and of course everyone will listen )... that the "gap" amount be donated to charity on behalf of the owners and players.

Neither side is starving and both can live without that gap amount anyway. Plus you get goodwill from the fans and public for giving $180+ million yearly to a worthwhile charity or charities... cancer, heart, MS, etc.

That would immediately settle the dispute AND will likely get the fans back in the stands in maximum amounts instead of everyone viewing this battle as a war between two sides of spoiled, rich millionaires and billionaires (which it is).

Again... this proposal is way too logical and simple so it will never be accepted by either side.
Holy cow. This is logical?

I have a feeling the NHL and the NHLPA want stay within the boundaries of reality while they settle this.

Closed Thread