HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

2012 CBA/Lockout talk, Part the Fifth

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-01-2012, 02:14 PM
  #51
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 94,958
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
If revenue actually drops off next year from 3.3, this whole thing is going to look even more pathetic that it already does

I understand certain teams were going to lose money anyways, but both sides have got to realize how much they are going to lose if this thing goes past December 25th and or the season is cancelled. It's amazing how they can't see it
NHL IMO has put forth reasonable financial specifics in there proposals

The NHLPA has yet to do that ,, Until the NHLPA accepts the NHL framework for financial aspect the NHL wont budge or talk about the contract issues (Since the economics are what is important to NHL owners)

The NHLPA will not win this fight ,, No matter how long it drags on

And the simple reality is the longer this goes the worse the offers the NHL owners lay out will be (They will have to start taking into consideration additional $$$ lost , etc)

NHLPA needs to get its act together and have Fehr stop the nonsense (Showing up late every meeting , etc) and also to stop pretending to be offering the same economic framework as owners (They have yet to make a proposal based off Owners)

Blackhawkswincup is offline  
Old
12-01-2012, 05:37 PM
  #52
scythe
Registered User
 
scythe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Consensus from players: They don't care if Bettman is around or not. They do care if Jacobs and same old owners are present at next meeting.
"Why are they chasing Jacobs away from the CBA talks?"

"Because he's the hero the NHL deserves, but not the one it needs right now...and so we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector...a dark knight."

scythe is offline  
Old
12-01-2012, 06:25 PM
  #53
Boston BROin
Marchand makes u mad
 
Boston BROin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 5,231
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Boston BROin Send a message via Yahoo to Boston BROin
Quote:
Originally Posted by scythe View Post
"Why are they chasing Jacobs away from the CBA talks?"

"Because he's the hero the NHL deserves, but not the one it needs right now...and so we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector...a dark knight."
and a ****

Boston BROin is offline  
Old
12-01-2012, 07:11 PM
  #54
smithformeragent
Moderator
 
smithformeragent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Manchester NH
Country: United States
Posts: 7,670
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Quote:
Originally Posted by scythe View Post
"why are they chasing jacobs away from the cba talks?"

"because he's the hero the nhl deserves, but not the one it needs right now...and so we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector...a dark knight."
lmfao

smithformeragent is offline  
Old
12-01-2012, 09:26 PM
  #55
Lordstanley
Playoffs!
 
Lordstanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Loge - 4 + Sec -316
Country: United States
Posts: 2,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
If revenue actually drops off next year from 3.3, this whole thing is going to look even more pathetic that it already does

I understand certain teams were going to lose money anyways, but both sides have got to realize how much they are going to lose if this thing goes past December 25th and or the season is cancelled. It's amazing how they can't see it
Odds are if there is no games this season , revenue will be dropping for sure . I think both sides are underestimating the fall out from this pathetic circus showing they have created

Lordstanley is offline  
Old
12-01-2012, 09:51 PM
  #56
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 16,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
NHL IMO has put forth reasonable financial specifics in there proposals

The NHLPA has yet to do that ,, Until the NHLPA accepts the NHL framework for financial aspect the NHL wont budge or talk about the contract issues (Since the economics are what is important to NHL owners)

The NHLPA will not win this fight ,, No matter how long it drags on

And the simple reality is the longer this goes the worse the offers the NHL owners lay out will be (They will have to start taking into consideration additional $$$ lost , etc)

NHLPA needs to get its act together and have Fehr stop the nonsense (Showing up late every meeting , etc) and also to stop pretending to be offering the same economic framework as owners (They have yet to make a proposal based off Owners)
Just curious - do you visit every team's lockout thread to for the owners?

Artemis is offline  
Old
12-01-2012, 10:20 PM
  #57
KnightofBoston
MVP
 
KnightofBoston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Amherst, Ma
Country: United States
Posts: 12,224
vCash: 500
I wonder if players would accept this deal

Owners get what they want for latest proposal for three years so they can rebuild loss in profits, after three years a new cba will automatically go into place that will complete make whole guaranteeing all players money on contracts signed during the last CBA. This way they can continue to grow the league while the economy slowly progresses by not killing the whole season. If they have hockey back by Christmas I guarantee most people won't care

KnightofBoston is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 06:17 AM
  #58
Spooner st
Registered User
 
Spooner st's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Just curious - do you visit every team's lockout thread to for the owners?
No worries...
No one will dethrone you, the players are safe.
Even Haggs is helping you.

Spooner st is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 06:39 AM
  #59
DaveFromNB
Registered User
 
DaveFromNB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Quispamsis, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstanley View Post
Odds are if there is no games this season , revenue will be dropping for sure . I think both sides are underestimating the fall out from this pathetic circus showing they have created
I think a lot of the damage is already done. A common theme out there seems to be that the die-hard fans will be back to watch, but with their wallets closed (as much as possible). Both sides have shown they couldn't care less about the other people who make a living off the NHL (arena staff, bar staff, etc), the alumni, or the fans, and personally I couldn't care less if player salaries were reduced by 75% and franchise values slashed. I'll watch the Bruins on a free stream instead of Center Ice, certainly am not going to pay $100+ per ticket for a local exhibition game, and it's doubtful I'll plan a trip to Boston around a Bruins game for some time. And there sure won't be Bruins gear under the tree this year, settle or not.

DaveFromNB is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 06:53 AM
  #60
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Just curious - do you visit every team's lockout thread to for the owners?
Hey, when you can't attack the legitimacy of a posters point you may as well just try and attack the poster themselves right.

Next good point he makes, lets question whether or not he's a real fan!

Kaoz is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 07:03 AM
  #61
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFromNB View Post
I think a lot of the damage is already done. A common theme out there seems to be that the die-hard fans will be back to watch, but with their wallets closed (as much as possible). Both sides have shown they couldn't care less about the other people who make a living off the NHL (arena staff, bar staff, etc), the alumni, or the fans, and personally I couldn't care less if player salaries were reduced by 75% and franchise values slashed. I'll watch the Bruins on a free stream instead of Center Ice, certainly am not going to pay $100+ per ticket for a local exhibition game, and it's doubtful I'll plan a trip to Boston around a Bruins game for some time. And there sure won't be Bruins gear under the tree this year, settle or not.
Me too, in fact, did the free stream thing last year and in spite of some inconsistencies with the quality of the stream, felt nice receiving something "free" (I do pay for my internet Dave)

My friend works at Bert`s, which is in Scotiabank Place, has 2 kids, when the season is on, with hockey and other events, he makes a pretty solid living, with this season all but rendered history (IMO), he had to look for employment to subsidize that income, truth is, hard to find a spot to work that can compete with the level of business a Restaurant/Bar produces when there`s 17,000 potential fans coming through the door.

To he** with the owners, to he** with the players, Fehr and Bettman can kiss me where the sun don`t shine, and Twitter???? Wish it exploded, just what the world needed, another social media outlet to "communicate" our thoughts/feelings and emotions, I guess good ole face to face interaction with intelligent thought is out of the rhealm of possibility these days.........of course, Twitter aside, there`s been so many players comments that have had me asking "does this guy even have a clue what`s transpiring here"?

I have absolutely no interest in a 50 game sched, totally abuses the legitimacy that a regular season produces and truth is, neither side deserves to play this great game this year.

ODAAT is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 07:31 AM
  #62
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975
 
Alberta_OReilly_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Edmonton Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,433
vCash: 500
I wonder if the solution to this cba came to me as i was drifting off to sleep last night?

Would an option to allow each team to designate one player for 'SPECIAL STATUS' be the answer to everyones issues?

The way I see this working is... a team has the ability to exempt one player from the system. This player doesnt get paid from HRR or the players share of the pot. They dont count against the cap either for the team. They dont have limits on how much a team can pay them.

I think only the very richest teams would exercise this option... but suppose 8 teams decided to do it... and 8 players averaging around 7-8 million dollars each in salary got taken out of the player's side of the pot. Suddenly the players would be getting an extra 50 million dollars or more to help with their 'make whole' concerns. And this money would continue to be available to the players long after the 'make whole' concerns are dealt with. The remaining players would always be benefitting from having the top 7-8 superstars in the game being paid directly out of the owners pockets and NOT from the player's pot.

Meanwhile the owners benefit from my suggestion too. at 50% the cap goes down so much, that alot of teams will be forced to canibalize themselves to get under the new limits. By allowing their most expensive player to be exempt from the cap... teams will be able to afford to keep their current clubs. In the future, when things settle down... the biggest spending teams will have a HUGE advantage in getting people like Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin to join their teams instead of staying in smaller/middle markets.

This will also be good for the health of the league. Crosby/Ovechkin dont win you a cup by themselves... but they do sell tickets/tv buyrates/merchanidise. By putting your very best names into your very biggest/richest markets it is going to be good for the game.

I think what im proposing is a very small adjustment for the league. It is a variation of what other leagues already do with exempt players in basketball and franchise player desination in football. The only possible victims i see... are teams like Pittsburgh/Washington that might possibly lose a Crosby/Ovechkin type in the future but getting the players to sign off on the 50/50 split means more to these teams in the long run anyhow. And a rich owner on a vanity trip could still choose to sign one of these type of players anyhow if they really wanted too.

if all 30 teams exercised this option... then the players would get like an extra 200 million dollars or more... so i dont think they should just dismiss my solution out of hand.

I want hockey... hope something like this dawns on the brains in charge and they do come up with a way to save this season

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 10:49 AM
  #63
Strafer
Registered User
 
Strafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: da Hub
Country: United States
Posts: 4,544
vCash: 500
Thank God that I have the Patriot's... They've kept me entertained so far this winter. The NHL is a disgrace, they are doing irreparable damage to their name and the fanbase will always have these lockouts in the back of our minds. I have no plans on spending a single buck on NHL games or products in the foreseeable future.

Strafer is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 02:36 PM
  #64
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 16,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Hey, when you can't attack the legitimacy of a posters point you may as well just try and attack the poster themselves right.

Next good point he makes, lets question whether or not he's a real fan!
Just asking. I've seen him constantly shilling for the owners on the main board; looks like he's decided to expand his horizons. I suppose I could check other boards but I really don't care that much.

Carry on. Go JJ! Go Bettman! Break that union!

Artemis is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 04:06 PM
  #65
WBC8
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Da Wood, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 34,476
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Just asking. I've seen him constantly shilling for the owners on the main board; looks like he's decided to expand his horizons. I suppose I could check other boards but I really don't care that much.

Carry on. Go JJ! Go Bettman! Break that union!
He/she is here often about many things hockey....no reason to look foolish by trying to mock him/her.

WBC8 is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 04:09 PM
  #66
WBC8
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Da Wood, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 34,476
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...fix-for-day-78


One thing that has happened quite a bit during this lockout has been the attacks on either side's lead representation; Bettman and Donald Fehr. Bettman has been hit every which way from players while Fehr has taken shots that seemed designed to reduce his influence/trust with the players. Again from Larry Brooks, here's another recent attempt at the latter.

Everyone by now is familiar with the league's back-channel assertion Fehr doesn't accurately relay information from the NHL to the rank-and-file; that he withholds information to suit his own anti-salary cap agenda.

The latest, though, Slap Shots has learned, is this rumor circulating through the Board that Fehr has a clause in his contract under which he would receive an $8 million payment should the PA vote to accept a CBA against his recommendation.

WBC8 is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 04:20 PM
  #67
Gee Wally
Retired
 
Gee Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: HF retirement home
Country: United States
Posts: 32,822
vCash: 500
Awards:
If the players gave him that clause! They are dumber than I thought.

__________________

BOSTON STRONG !!!

Go Team Hoyt !
Gee Wally is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 04:22 PM
  #68
thegodfather
Registered User
 
thegodfather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Stratford, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
If the players gave him that clause! They are dumber than I thought.
Agree Wally, 100%.

thegodfather is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 04:24 PM
  #69
sooshii
Believe in Boston
 
sooshii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Philly burbs
Country: United States
Posts: 9,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...fix-for-day-78


• One thing that has happened quite a bit during this lockout has been the attacks on either side's lead representation; Bettman and Donald Fehr. Bettman has been hit every which way from players while Fehr has taken shots that seemed designed to reduce his influence/trust with the players. Again from Larry Brooks, here's another recent attempt at the latter.

Everyone by now is familiar with the league's back-channel assertion Fehr doesn't accurately relay information from the NHL to the rank-and-file; that he withholds information to suit his own anti-salary cap agenda.

The latest, though, Slap Shots has learned, is this rumor circulating through the Board that Fehr has a clause in his contract under which he would receive an $8 million payment should the PA vote to accept a CBA against his recommendation.
Wait, what??

ETA: Fehr denies... NY Post says "It all appears to be part of a strategy to paint Fehr as unethical in order to undermine his influence with the players."


Players/owners (+ Daly) meeting Tues w/

@drosennhl: NHL expects these owners to be in meeting: Ron Burkle, Mark Chipman, Murray Edwards, Jeremy Jacobs, Larry Tanenbaum and Jeff Vinik.


Last edited by sooshii: 12-02-2012 at 04:39 PM.
sooshii is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 05:09 PM
  #70
Shaun
Registered User
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Italy
Posts: 20,626
vCash: 500
How great would it be if they came to an agreement without Fehr

Shaun is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 05:11 PM
  #71
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 25,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooshii View Post
Wait, what??

ETA: Fehr denies... NY Post says "It all appears to be part of a strategy to paint Fehr as unethical in order to undermine his influence with the players."


Players/owners (+ Daly) meeting Tues w/

@drosennhl: NHL expects these owners to be in meeting: Ron Burkle, Mark Chipman, Murray Edwards, Jeremy Jacobs, Larry Tanenbaum and Jeff Vinik.
Jeff Vinik and Ron Burkle (add Chipman as well)....the first two I have heard only great things about; Chipman has a pretty good rep as well.

I know people who are friends with Vinik and they love him, they joke if the Red Sox sell, he is a minority owner it would be outstanding if he stepped up.

The Calgary guy I'm not so sure about but he I believe is one of the if not the richest owner of them all. Not sure about the Leafs guy other than his team has been horrible under his watch

JJ is probably there to make sure these guys don't do a deal

This entire thing is such a pathetic joke- wake me when its over.

DKH is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 05:39 PM
  #72
patty59
***************
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Just asking. I've seen him constantly shilling for the owners on the main board; looks like he's decided to expand his horizons. I suppose I could check other boards but I really don't care that much.

Carry on. Go JJ! Go Bettman! Break that union!
I don't know, kinda sounds like you do care.


Or are at least a little upset that his opinions don't align with yours.

patty59 is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 06:30 PM
  #73
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong
 
Topshelf8188's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: RI
Country: United States
Posts: 4,709
vCash: 500
So pissed my plan to win powerball and contribute to the make whole proposal failed.

Topshelf8188 is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 06:44 PM
  #74
Bruwinz37
Registered User
 
Bruwinz37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 26,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Just curious - do you visit every team's lockout thread to for the owners?
You are completely obnoxious on every level.

Bruwinz37 is online now  
Old
12-02-2012, 06:49 PM
  #75
JMiller
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Watertown
Posts: 12,331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
If the players gave him that clause! They are dumber than I thought.
Maybe that's why owners want to meet with them directly.

JMiller is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.