Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
If revenue actually drops off next year from 3.3, this whole thing is going to look even more pathetic that it already does

I understand certain teams were going to lose money anyways, but both sides have got to realize how much they are going to lose if this thing goes past December 25th and or the season is cancelled. It's amazing how they can't see it
NHL IMO has put forth reasonable financial specifics in there proposals

The NHLPA has yet to do that ,, Until the NHLPA accepts the NHL framework for financial aspect the NHL wont budge or talk about the contract issues (Since the economics are what is important to NHL owners)

The NHLPA will not win this fight ,, No matter how long it drags on

And the simple reality is the longer this goes the worse the offers the NHL owners lay out will be (They will have to start taking into consideration additional $$$ lost , etc)

NHLPA needs to get its act together and have Fehr stop the nonsense (Showing up late every meeting , etc) and also to stop pretending to be offering the same economic framework as owners (They have yet to make a proposal based off Owners)

Old
12-01-2012, 05:37 PM
scythe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Consensus from players: They don't care if Bettman is around or not. They do care if Jacobs and same old owners are present at next meeting.
"Why are they chasing Jacobs away from the CBA talks?"

"Because he's the hero the NHL deserves, but not the one it needs right now...and so we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector...a dark knight."

Old
12-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Boston BROin
Marchand makes u mad

Send a message via AIM to Boston BROin Send a message via Yahoo to Boston BROin
Quote:
Originally Posted by scythe View Post
"Why are they chasing Jacobs away from the CBA talks?"

"Because he's the hero the NHL deserves, but not the one it needs right now...and so we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector...a dark knight."
and a ****

Old
12-01-2012, 07:11 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Quote:
Originally Posted by scythe View Post
"why are they chasing jacobs away from the cba talks?"

"because he's the hero the nhl deserves, but not the one it needs right now...and so we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector...a dark knight."
lmfao

Old
12-01-2012, 09:26 PM
Lordstanley
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
If revenue actually drops off next year from 3.3, this whole thing is going to look even more pathetic that it already does

I understand certain teams were going to lose money anyways, but both sides have got to realize how much they are going to lose if this thing goes past December 25th and or the season is cancelled. It's amazing how they can't see it
Odds are if there is no games this season , revenue will be dropping for sure . I think both sides are underestimating the fall out from this pathetic circus showing they have created

Old
12-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
NHL IMO has put forth reasonable financial specifics in there proposals

The NHLPA has yet to do that ,, Until the NHLPA accepts the NHL framework for financial aspect the NHL wont budge or talk about the contract issues (Since the economics are what is important to NHL owners)

The NHLPA will not win this fight ,, No matter how long it drags on

And the simple reality is the longer this goes the worse the offers the NHL owners lay out will be (They will have to start taking into consideration additional $$$ lost , etc)

NHLPA needs to get its act together and have Fehr stop the nonsense (Showing up late every meeting , etc) and also to stop pretending to be offering the same economic framework as owners (They have yet to make a proposal based off Owners)
Just curious - do you visit every team's lockout thread to for the owners?

Old
12-01-2012, 10:20 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

I wonder if players would accept this deal

Owners get what they want for latest proposal for three years so they can rebuild loss in profits, after three years a new cba will automatically go into place that will complete make whole guaranteeing all players money on contracts signed during the last CBA. This way they can continue to grow the league while the economy slowly progresses by not killing the whole season. If they have hockey back by Christmas I guarantee most people won't care

Old
12-02-2012, 06:17 AM
Spooner st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
No worries...
No one will dethrone you, the players are safe.
Even Haggs is helping you.

Old
12-02-2012, 06:39 AM
DaveFromNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstanley View Post
Odds are if there is no games this season , revenue will be dropping for sure . I think both sides are underestimating the fall out from this pathetic circus showing they have created
I think a lot of the damage is already done. A common theme out there seems to be that the die-hard fans will be back to watch, but with their wallets closed (as much as possible). Both sides have shown they couldn't care less about the other people who make a living off the NHL (arena staff, bar staff, etc), the alumni, or the fans, and personally I couldn't care less if player salaries were reduced by 75% and franchise values slashed. I'll watch the Bruins on a free stream instead of Center Ice, certainly am not going to pay $100+ per ticket for a local exhibition game, and it's doubtful I'll plan a trip to Boston around a Bruins game for some time. And there sure won't be Bruins gear under the tree this year, settle or not.

Old
12-02-2012, 06:53 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Hey, when you can't attack the legitimacy of a posters point you may as well just try and attack the poster themselves right.

Next good point he makes, lets question whether or not he's a real fan!

Old
12-02-2012, 07:03 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFromNB View Post
I think a lot of the damage is already done. A common theme out there seems to be that the die-hard fans will be back to watch, but with their wallets closed (as much as possible). Both sides have shown they couldn't care less about the other people who make a living off the NHL (arena staff, bar staff, etc), the alumni, or the fans, and personally I couldn't care less if player salaries were reduced by 75% and franchise values slashed. I'll watch the Bruins on a free stream instead of Center Ice, certainly am not going to pay $100+ per ticket for a local exhibition game, and it's doubtful I'll plan a trip to Boston around a Bruins game for some time. And there sure won't be Bruins gear under the tree this year, settle or not.
Me too, in fact, did the free stream thing last year and in spite of some inconsistencies with the quality of the stream, felt nice receiving something "free" (I do pay for my internet Dave)

My friend works at Bert`s, which is in Scotiabank Place, has 2 kids, when the season is on, with hockey and other events, he makes a pretty solid living, with this season all but rendered history (IMO), he had to look for employment to subsidize that income, truth is, hard to find a spot to work that can compete with the level of business a Restaurant/Bar produces when there`s 17,000 potential fans coming through the door.

To he** with the owners, to he** with the players, Fehr and Bettman can kiss me where the sun don`t shine, and Twitter???? Wish it exploded, just what the world needed, another social media outlet to "communicate" our thoughts/feelings and emotions, I guess good ole face to face interaction with intelligent thought is out of the rhealm of possibility these days.........of course, Twitter aside, there`s been so many players comments that have had me asking "does this guy even have a clue what`s transpiring here"?

I have absolutely no interest in a 50 game sched, totally abuses the legitimacy that a regular season produces and truth is, neither side deserves to play this great game this year.

Old
12-02-2012, 07:31 AM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

I wonder if the solution to this cba came to me as i was drifting off to sleep last night?

Would an option to allow each team to designate one player for 'SPECIAL STATUS' be the answer to everyones issues?

The way I see this working is... a team has the ability to exempt one player from the system. This player doesnt get paid from HRR or the players share of the pot. They dont count against the cap either for the team. They dont have limits on how much a team can pay them.

I think only the very richest teams would exercise this option... but suppose 8 teams decided to do it... and 8 players averaging around 7-8 million dollars each in salary got taken out of the player's side of the pot. Suddenly the players would be getting an extra 50 million dollars or more to help with their 'make whole' concerns. And this money would continue to be available to the players long after the 'make whole' concerns are dealt with. The remaining players would always be benefitting from having the top 7-8 superstars in the game being paid directly out of the owners pockets and NOT from the player's pot.

Meanwhile the owners benefit from my suggestion too. at 50% the cap goes down so much, that alot of teams will be forced to canibalize themselves to get under the new limits. By allowing their most expensive player to be exempt from the cap... teams will be able to afford to keep their current clubs. In the future, when things settle down... the biggest spending teams will have a HUGE advantage in getting people like Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin to join their teams instead of staying in smaller/middle markets.

This will also be good for the health of the league. Crosby/Ovechkin dont win you a cup by themselves... but they do sell tickets/tv buyrates/merchanidise. By putting your very best names into your very biggest/richest markets it is going to be good for the game.

I think what im proposing is a very small adjustment for the league. It is a variation of what other leagues already do with exempt players in basketball and franchise player desination in football. The only possible victims i see... are teams like Pittsburgh/Washington that might possibly lose a Crosby/Ovechkin type in the future but getting the players to sign off on the 50/50 split means more to these teams in the long run anyhow. And a rich owner on a vanity trip could still choose to sign one of these type of players anyhow if they really wanted too.

if all 30 teams exercised this option... then the players would get like an extra 200 million dollars or more... so i dont think they should just dismiss my solution out of hand.

I want hockey... hope something like this dawns on the brains in charge and they do come up with a way to save this season

Old
12-02-2012, 10:49 AM
Strafer

Thank God that I have the Patriot's... They've kept me entertained so far this winter. The NHL is a disgrace, they are doing irreparable damage to their name and the fanbase will always have these lockouts in the back of our minds. I have no plans on spending a single buck on NHL games or products in the foreseeable future.

Old
12-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Hey, when you can't attack the legitimacy of a posters point you may as well just try and attack the poster themselves right.

Next good point he makes, lets question whether or not he's a real fan!
Just asking. I've seen him constantly shilling for the owners on the main board; looks like he's decided to expand his horizons. I suppose I could check other boards but I really don't care that much.

Carry on. Go JJ! Go Bettman! Break that union!

Old
12-02-2012, 04:06 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Just asking. I've seen him constantly shilling for the owners on the main board; looks like he's decided to expand his horizons. I suppose I could check other boards but I really don't care that much.

He/she is here often about many things hockey....no reason to look foolish by trying to mock him/her.

Old
12-02-2012, 04:09 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...fix-for-day-78

One thing that has happened quite a bit during this lockout has been the attacks on either side's lead representation; Bettman and Donald Fehr. Bettman has been hit every which way from players while Fehr has taken shots that seemed designed to reduce his influence/trust with the players. Again from Larry Brooks, here's another recent attempt at the latter.

Everyone by now is familiar with the league's back-channel assertion Fehr doesn't accurately relay information from the NHL to the rank-and-file; that he withholds information to suit his own anti-salary cap agenda.

The latest, though, Slap Shots has learned, is this rumor circulating through the Board that Fehr has a clause in his contract under which he would receive an $8 million payment should the PA vote to accept a CBA against his recommendation.

Old
12-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
If the players gave him that clause! They are dumber than I thought.

BOSTON STRONG !!!

Go Team Hoyt !
Old
12-02-2012, 04:22 PM
thegodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
Agree Wally, 100%.

Old
12-02-2012, 04:24 PM
sooshii
Believe in Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...fix-for-day-78

• One thing that has happened quite a bit during this lockout has been the attacks on either side's lead representation; Bettman and Donald Fehr. Bettman has been hit every which way from players while Fehr has taken shots that seemed designed to reduce his influence/trust with the players. Again from Larry Brooks, here's another recent attempt at the latter.

Everyone by now is familiar with the league's back-channel assertion Fehr doesn't accurately relay information from the NHL to the rank-and-file; that he withholds information to suit his own anti-salary cap agenda.

The latest, though, Slap Shots has learned, is this rumor circulating through the Board that Fehr has a clause in his contract under which he would receive an $8 million payment should the PA vote to accept a CBA against his recommendation.
Wait, what??

ETA: Fehr denies... NY Post says "It all appears to be part of a strategy to paint Fehr as unethical in order to undermine his influence with the players."

Players/owners (+ Daly) meeting Tues w/

@drosennhl: NHL expects these owners to be in meeting: Ron Burkle, Mark Chipman, Murray Edwards, Jeremy Jacobs, Larry Tanenbaum and Jeff Vinik.

Last edited by sooshii: 12-02-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old
12-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Shaun

How great would it be if they came to an agreement without Fehr

Old
12-02-2012, 05:11 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooshii View Post
Wait, what??

ETA: Fehr denies... NY Post says "It all appears to be part of a strategy to paint Fehr as unethical in order to undermine his influence with the players."

Players/owners (+ Daly) meeting Tues w/

@drosennhl: NHL expects these owners to be in meeting: Ron Burkle, Mark Chipman, Murray Edwards, Jeremy Jacobs, Larry Tanenbaum and Jeff Vinik.
Jeff Vinik and Ron Burkle (add Chipman as well)....the first two I have heard only great things about; Chipman has a pretty good rep as well.

I know people who are friends with Vinik and they love him, they joke if the Red Sox sell, he is a minority owner it would be outstanding if he stepped up.

The Calgary guy I'm not so sure about but he I believe is one of the if not the richest owner of them all. Not sure about the Leafs guy other than his team has been horrible under his watch

JJ is probably there to make sure these guys don't do a deal

This entire thing is such a pathetic joke- wake me when its over.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:39 PM
patty59

Quote:

I don't know, kinda sounds like you do care.

Or are at least a little upset that his opinions don't align with yours.

Old
12-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

So pissed my plan to win powerball and contribute to the make whole proposal failed.

Old
12-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
You are completely obnoxious on every level.

Old
12-02-2012, 06:49 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
Maybe that's why owners want to meet with them directly.

Closed Thread