HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

The most over-hyped Sens propsects in HFBoards history

View Poll Results: The most over-hyped.
Brandon Bochenski 17 12.59%
Alexei Kaigorodov 42 31.11%
Igor Mirnov 0 0%
Roman Wick 10 7.41%
Alexander Nikulin 4 2.96%
Kirill Lyamin 1 0.74%
Ilya Zubov 4 2.96%
Louie Caporusso 2 1.48%
Patrick Wiercioch 2 1.48%
David Rundblad 27 20.00%
Nikita Filatov 16 11.85%
Mike Hoffman 2 1.48%
Andre Petersson 0 0%
Jakub Culek 0 0%
Other (specify) 8 5.93%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-02-2012, 05:16 PM
source

vCash: 500
Good timing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderPegasus View Post
Dacosta. That guy hasn't done anything since he's been signed outside of one play that Karlsson made him look good.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 05:45 PM
Xspyrit

Alexandre Daigle

AINEC

Can't believe he's not even listed there

Spezza would probably be 2nd and I'd say Lehner as 3rd. The guys has been hyped a lot but IMO, many people will end up right, like those like me who were hyping Erik Karlsson...

Or was this thread about over-hyped prospects that busted?

Anyway, the list of possible choices suck... how many of those guys were blue-chip prospects? How many were taken in the 1st round?

The only 2 guys with high expectations were Rundblad and Filatov... Kaigorodov became overhyped after the draft because of his KHL success.

Nah those guys have only been "over-hyped" because we were starving for good prospects for about a 5 years span

It's actually cool to have prospects that we can over-hype, even if they don't pan out in the end. It means they at least gave us a bit of hope and excitement (because that's what an entertainment is all about). WE DON'T NEED EVERYONE OF THEM TO PAN OUT ANYWAY, there's so many spots on a hockey team...

/thread

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 06:06 PM
CanadianHockey
On the Alfie Wagon

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Alexandre Daigle

AINEC

Spezza would probably be 2nd and I'd say Lehner as 3rd. The guys has been hyped a lot but IMO, many people will end up right, like those like me who were hyping Erik Karlsson...

Anyway, the list of possible choices suck... how many of those guys were blue-chip prospects? How many were taken in the 1st round?

The only 2 guys with high expectations were Rundblad and Filatov... Kaigorodov became overhyped after the draft because of his KHL success.

Nah those guys have only been "over-hyped" because we were starving for good prospects for about a 5 years span

It's actually cool to have prospects that we can over-hype, even if they don't pan out in the end. It means they at least gave us a bit of hope and excitement (because that's what an entertainment is all about). WE DON'T NEED EVERYONE OF THEM TO PAN OUT ANYWAY, there's so many spots on a hockey team...

/thread
HFBoards didn't exist when Daigle was a prospect.

12-02-2012, 06:22 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
I remember getting his autograph at a card show in 93... I was probably the only Sens fan in Montreal, lolz (even though I was still more a Nordiques fan, I only became a true Sens fan in 1997)

Old
12-02-2012, 06:26 PM
source

Quote:
Alexandre Daigle

AINEC

/thread
"...in HFBoards history"

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 06:28 PM
The King of Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
I'm not sure half the people on here existed when Daigle was a prospect.

The King of Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 06:44 PM
neutral zone trap13

Was Jeff Glass over hyped? He played the WJC but I have no idea if he was hyped up.

neutral zone trap13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 06:52 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
What about Shawn Weller who remembers him, looooooool. Guy was supposed to be our Gary Roberts.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 06:55 PM
The King of Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
What about Shawn Weller who remembers him, looooooool. Guy was supposed to be our Gary Roberts.
He was never hyped up at all. He's just another random name like Arttu Luttinen.

Daugavins got more hype than he ever deserved, due to a certain poster's obsession with funny-named players.

Old
12-02-2012, 06:57 PM
guyzeur

Quote:
I remember getting his autograph at a card show in 93... I was probably the only Sens fan in Montreal, lolz (even though I was still more a Nordiques fan, I only became a true Sens fan in 1997)
Go Nords go

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 06:59 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of Town View Post
He was never hyped up at all. He's just another random name like Arttu Luttinen.

Daugavins got more hype than he ever deserved, due to a certain poster's obsession with funny-named players.
Yea Weller wasn't hyped really. People thought he had bottom 6 potential, that's about it.

Another case of the WJC's making a nobody a somebody to a fanbase.

WasTeD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 09:16 PM
John Holmes
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
I'm leaning towards Kaigorodov just like all the other old guys who actually remember him.

I also remember Jan Platil getting an awful lot of praise.

As for Daigle, he's wasn't a bust at all. He was ruined by the clowns that ran the team back in the beginning.

616 GP, 129 G, 198 A, 327 PTS, 186 PIM

Those aren't "bust" numbers. Three 20 G & 50 PTS seasons.

He was billed as the second coming of Mario with a mean streak. He was a young kid that walked into a god-awful situation. A team with guys that belonged in the MRSHL, paid a boatload of money and basically fed to the lions.

There is a reason that Ottawa has been super conscious of the way they handle young players since.

John Holmes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 09:57 PM
The King of Town

Josh Langfeld was supposed to be our Brad Isbister, who was supposed to be the next Todd Bertuzzi.

Petr Schastlivy got a lot of hype, too.

Old
12-02-2012, 10:45 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

the kaigarodov hype in the local rags and on the radio was insane. The entire city thought we had some future russian superstar.

12-02-2012, 11:21 PM
John Holmes
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
Quote:
Josh Langfeld was supposed to be our Brad Isbister, who was supposed to be the next Todd Bertuzzi.

Petr Schastlivy got a lot of hype, too.
You know Langfeld wasn't bad for a guy that didn't skate until his teens. He had a bit of touch and was one of those guys that just instinctively knew where to be and when to be there.

He was a long shot all the way. There was no massive hype around him. Isbister was more of a bust than Langfeld was.

John Holmes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:06 AM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
When was he ever regarded as highly as most of the guys on this list? Plus he has played his way into the top 9 on this team, had their been a season.

We don't know that for sure. Lots of others guys could have beaten him out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
This.

He was always seen as a good prospect where as some of the guys on the list were seen as great can't miss prospects.

Most hype I've seen Regin get is people suggesting if he stays healthy he could be a 20-20 guy. Which is fair imo.
A lot of people were penciling him in as our 2nd line centre for the future well before Turris got here.

Quote:
Loooooooooooool, no comment. Our best player in the '10 playoffs and one of our best players to start the year last year before he got injured.
He played half decently riding Spezza's coattails for 5 games nearly 3 years ago. Done nothing since.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:23 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
"...in HFBoards history"
Good point but anyone knows when HF Boards started? 2002 or something like that?

Quote:
I'm not sure half the people on here existed when Daigle was a prospect.
Great, it makes me old

Quote:
wow, where did you find that? I remember, I was once was excited about him, probably just a few weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
As for Daigle, he's wasn't a bust at all. He was ruined by the clowns that ran the team back in the beginning.

616 GP, 129 G, 198 A, 327 PTS, 186 PIM

Those aren't "bust" numbers. Three 20 G & 50 PTS seasons.

He was billed as the second coming of Mario with a mean streak. He was a young kid that walked into a god-awful situation. A team with guys that belonged in the MRSHL, paid a boatload of money and basically fed to the lions.

There is a reason that Ottawa has been super conscious of the way they handle young players since.
I don't think anyone said that Daigle was a bust. He was a good NHL player but certainly didn't met expectations who were crazy high for him... That's what happens when you get drafted 1st overall
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
He played half decently riding Spezza's coattails for 5 games nearly 3 years ago. Done nothing since.
Not getting into a debate about Peter Regin since it's been beaten to death, but he did produce fairly well in all his NHL career when he wasn't playing on the 4th line with scrubs. Everytime he had skilled linemates with a bit of hockey sense, he produced. I've got a lot of evidence in older threads talking about Regin

You are evidently somewhat biased against him, for some reason. He's a quality hockey player. Health (and Clouston) has been his only problem. If he was an option in this poll, you'd probably be the only one to vote him

Thanks

Last edited by Xspyrit: 12-03-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old
12-03-2012, 12:47 AM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderPegasus View Post
Dacosta. That guy hasn't done anything since he's been signed outside of one play that Karlsson made him look good.
He's a rookie! And don't look now but Da Costa just exploded with nice peripheral stats: 3 g, 1 a, +4, 5 SOG in his last game for the baby Sens.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:58 AM
tony d
The man

Filatov.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Kaigorodov. Even Muckler was saying he would solve our #2 center void at the time. That added a ton of fuel on the Hype fire.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:58 AM
StikTBo

Filatov has 9 more points than Kaigorodov this year while playing on the same team..

..ok Filatov also has 20 more games played, but still!

StikTBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:16 AM
Margaret Trudeau

Cowen

Margaret Trudeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:38 AM
Xspyrit

Oh ya forgot...

Brian Lee should win this since Daigle and Spezza aren't eligible...

Old
12-03-2012, 11:38 AM
Cowen Time

Went with Filatov. Two time loser, on a reclamation project being penciled into a top spot and defended to the bone death by to many people.

Runblad was highly hyped but there was a legit reason, and a lot of it turned into tongue in cheek stuff. Have to see how his career ends up.

I never bought into the Kaigorodov junk, and wasn't around HFBoards so wasn't infected.

Cowen Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:44 AM
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront

I went with Rundblad because he was the big talk of these boards when I first started reading them. In fact one of the main reasons I started reading HF boards was to keep tabs on Rundblad. But, if I was reading these HF boards when Kaigrodov was supposed to make the team that one training camp way back when, I'm sure it would be him. Even Brandon Bochenski garnered a lot of hype the post lockout season. Some people had him slotted in 100% as Heatley and Spezza's winger.

QuietOnTheFront is offline   Reply With Quote