HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Hockey Memorabilia - Any Collectors?

Old
12-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Elever
Hth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SealsFan View Post
Speaking of hockey cards, I want to know who's got one of these:

Because me and my buddies would buy packs of Topps 71-72 cards every morning on the way to school until we all had the entire set in duplicates.... except for this one card!!!! Pretty slick of Topps to keep this one out of circulation so we'd keep buying and buying!
This is my favourite vintage design. I even make custom cards based on that design like the one in my avatar though I make the back look like it matches the front rather than the old cardboard back on those ones. O-Pee-Chee and Topps used to make the same sets back then though O-Pee-Chee would usually do the Cdn teams, their back would be billingual, and the picture quality was a bit better especially on the 80s ones where you could tell the difference. So maybe you can find the ones you were missing from O-Pee-Chee '71. Unfortunately 1971 or 72 and before is when cards start to get expensive so I don't have too many of them. Here's a custom I made, the front anyways:

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhhofr View Post
Royal York?
Actually no, the Westbury Hotel on Wood Street right behind the Gardens. Developed & owned by Loews who at one time had hotels & theatres all over North America and Europe. Now called the Marriot Courtyard, went up in 1956. In the 60's, 70's & 80's a lot of the incoming Leaf players, rookies, trade acquisitions were put up there as well; all kinds of stories not fit for a PG site like hf.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 01:46 AM
Zikolako
mailataikuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Actually no, the Westbury Hotel on Wood Street right behind the Gardens. Developed & owned by Loews who at one time had hotels & theatres all over North America and Europe. Now called the Marriot Courtyard, went up in 1956. In the 60's, 70's & 80's a lot of the incoming Leaf players, rookies, trade acquisitions were put up there as well; all kinds of stories not fit for a PG site like hf.
It must be the hotel I stayed during the 1991 Canada Cup. Team Sweden and Team Finland were there too, so it was cool to see the players hanging around. I remember being in the same elevator with young Teemu Selänne, just the two of us
It was handy the hotel was so near the Maple Leaf Gardens, because when we went to see the semifinal Canada-Sweden, I accidently took a wrong ticket with me, but had still time to go back to the hotel and get right ticket.

Zikolako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 07:58 PM
JMTP87

I'm collect quite a bit. I collect only from my favorite teams.
The highlight of my collection is a Montreal expos big o staduim seat signed by many members of the 1981 pennant team.

http://www.rantingrocket.com

Sadly with work and school I have not been able to update as much as I wish.

JMTP87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 08:45 PM
pappyline

I have some pretty neat stuff. Mostly old cards and magazines. Don't touch anything post 1980 and mainly focus on the 50's. Have pretty much stopped at this point as too expensive. My favs are old hockey blueline magazines from the 50's and the 54-55 Topps hockey cards. Lucky a lot of my favorite players were not superstars so I was able to pick up good value. Also, don't care about autographs.

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 09:39 PM
mapletoft

I have about 450 all different Wayne Gretzky cards...about 2000 all different Oiler cards dating back to Gretzky's rookie year...I have about 35 binders of cards of players from all NHL teams (including defunct teams) with one card of each player that played for them. Of course with this collection you're always looking for more cards.

One of my favorite pieces is a paper hat from the Edmonton Journal that says 'Go For Three-Peat' 1985-86 season. Also I have Valentines Day cards (with player pics) that were handed out on Valentines Day at an Oilers game in the mid-80's. My best deal was buying a near 1970-71 OPC set in 1990 for $40.

Yes, I grew up an Oiler fan in 1980's!

Anybody else out there with tonnes of Oilers memoribilia?

mapletoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapletoft View Post
I have about 450 all different Wayne Gretzky cards...about 2000 all different Oiler cards dating back to Gretzky's rookie year...I have about 35 binders of cards of players from all NHL teams (including defunct teams) with one card of each player that played for them. Of course with this collection you're always looking for more cards.

One of my favorite pieces is a paper hat from the Edmonton Journal that says 'Go For Three-Peat' 1985-86 season. Also I have Valentines Day cards (with player pics) that were handed out on Valentines Day at an Oilers game in the mid-80's. My best deal was buying a near 1970-71 OPC set in 1990 for $40.

Yes, I grew up an Oiler fan in 1980's!

Anybody else out there with tonnes of Oilers memoribilia?
There's a guy out there named Shawn Chaulk who's got an Oilers collection that you'd have to see to believe.

To explain why, he auctioned some of his extras that didn't fit the permanent collection...
http://www.gamewornauctions.net/cata...ion-112-1.html

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:39 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyline View Post
My favs are old hockey blueline magazines from the 50's and the 54-55 Topps hockey cards.
Ive never collected anything really, but if I was going to, I fondly remember those little plastic coins or "discs" that came in packages of Shirriff Jello & Pudding in the late 50's & early 60's. About the size of a Silver Dollar or Loonie. Head shot of the player on one side in full colour. Wouldnt mind sourcing a full set of those things, and I believe they offered plaques that you could insert the coins in for display purposes.... cards I was never much into. Just gimme the gum that used to come in the pack, good to go.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:34 PM
MVP36

MVP36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:39 PM
MVP36

Picked these cards up a few weeks ago.

Jaromir Jagr rookie

Mario Lemieux cards

Old
12-09-2012, 12:44 PM
MVP36

Brandon Yip, Jay Pandolfo, and Mike Grier autographs from a meet and greet at last night's BU vs. Maine game.