HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Seguin vs Hall: Individual attributes

Old
12-02-2012, 03:13 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Skating: Hall
Shooting: Hall
Passing: Seguin
Defense: Even
Leadership: Hall
Offensive Instincts: Hall
Physicality: Hall
Durability: Seguin
Grit: Hall

Overall Offense: Hall
Overall Defense: Even

Better Player Now: Even
Better Player Later: Even

It blows my mind that people think Seguin is far ahead right now. If you look at basic stats, aggregate stats, advanced stats, or even just observe both players, it's pretty much a tie (or even slightly in Hall's favour).

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 03:15 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by spOiler View Post
Thats the same league that Omark has 37 points in 25 games...obviously its a tough league to get points in

Well done

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 03:25 PM
topchowda

vCash: 500
Shooting: Hall
Defense:Equal
Leadership:Hall
Offensive Instincts: Sequin
Durability: Sequin

Overall Offense:Equal
Overall Defense:Sequin maybe

Better Player Now:Hall
Better Player Later:Hall

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 03:26 PM
reffree

Shooting: Seguin
Defense: Even
Leadership: Hall
Offensive Instincts: Even in different ways

Overall Offense: Even
Overall Defense: Even

Better Player Now: Even, mabye slight advantage to Hall
Better Player Later: Seguin probably as more upside, but will he reach it?

I think if you go by individual skills, Seguin as a bit more, in shooting, passing and pure offensive IQ, but what make Hall what he is, is the combinaison of the skills he has with his awesome "take charge" mentality, something Seguin doesn't have.

reffree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 03:31 PM
Neatman

Ive always thought threads like this could be greatly improved by having people say how often theyve actually seen the players in question play.

Neatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clode View Post
its these kinds of threads where the opinions of oilers fans and bruins fans are invalid because obviously every oilers fan is going to say hall is better and every bruins fan is going to say seguin is better
Ironic because the thread was started by an Oilers fan who still laments us picking Hall over Seguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatman View Post
Ive always thought threads like this could be greatly improved by having people say how often theyve actually seen the players in question play.
I've seen Hall play live probably 40-50 times.
I've seen Seguin live once, but I was quite drunk. I've watched him play on TV probably 25-30 times.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 04:11 PM
RDRR

Skating Close
Shooting Hall
Passing Seguin
Defense Seguin
Leadership I don't know
Offensive Instincts Seguin
Physicality Hall
Durability Seguin
Grit Hall

Overall Offense: Seguin
Overall Defense: Seguin

Better Player Now: Seguin
Better Player Later: Seguin

RDRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 04:13 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post
Just a quick question: when you talk about shooting, are you inferring to the shot itself, or do you take other factors into account? If it's the former, then I'm not sure how you can say it's not close, Seguin's shot selection is pretty ferocious.
Depends on how you look at the category of "shooting". I was referring purely to Hall's much more impressive ability (to me) to get his shot off quickly and accurately. If we're taking all-round shot selection and ability to put the puck in the net in a variety of ways, then it becomes a much more even argument and possibly even in Seguins favour. Kind of like comparing the shooting abilities of Ovechkin and Kovalchuk

Last edited by DKQ: 12-02-2012 at 04:30 PM.
DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 04:14 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post

Well done
Because Omark's 11 goals in 27 games is anywhere close to Seguin's 22 goals in 23 games....

PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 04:28 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Skating - Easily Hall. Seguin doesn't have the ability to blow by defenders. Just look at how many breakaways Hall creates
Shooting - Even. Hall's shot is harder, while Seguin's is more accurate
Passing - Seguin. Hall is pretty underrated in this regard, but I'd give the edge to Seguin
Defense - Seguin. Seguin's defense is a little overblown because of his linemates, but he's still got this one
Leadership - Hall by a mile. He's already the leader of the Oilers
Offensive Instincts - Even. Both think the game very well
Physicality - Hall. Not even close
Durability - Seguin. But it's not exactly fair to say Hall's not durable because of a fluke injury while fighting, and a injury that dates back to junior
Grit - Hall. not even close

Overall Offense - Hall. Hall has the ability to dominate the play in a way Seguin can't quite match
Overall Defense - Seguin. Seguin is a little more polished in his own zone at this point and doesn't get caught running around quite as much

Better Player Now: Hall
Better Player Later: Hall

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 04:37 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanHortonFan View Post
Because Omark's 11 goals in 27 games is anywhere close to Seguin's 22 goals in 23 games....
Because Seguin's 13 assists are anywhere close to Omark's 30? It goes both ways (No I'm not saying Omark is better)

It's really going to be impossible to truly claim one or the other is better until after their careers are finished. They're very similar calibre players, and both of them are going to have fantastic careers. I personally prefer Hall because of the way he can absolutely dominate games, and makes everyone around him step their game up, but I'm not going to slander anyone for preferring Seguin

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

Skating: Close but Hall
Shooting: Close but Seguin
Defense: Seguin (Hall probably would be if he played for the Bruins though)
Leadership: Hall by a country mile, he's a future captain while Seguin would be pretty damn lucky to get an A
Offensive Instincts: Pretty even... If I had to give the edge probably Hall.
Physicality: Hall, Seguin basically doesn't body check at all. However, the way Hall throws his body out isn't necessarily a good thing for someone of his size.
Durability: Seguin, the only injury he's had was a severed tendon that didn't require him to miss any games. He doesn't play physical, either.

Overall Offense: Close, I'll give Hall the edge, partially because I think he's the better player offensively and partially because Seguin plays in a system where all of he'll never be able to utilize 100% of his offensive prowess.
Overall Defense: Seguin, again partially because of the team and system...
Please note that these two would very likely be swapped if either of these 2 players got drafted by the other team.

Better Player Now: Seguin
Better Player Later: Honestly you can't go wrong with either. Hall will likely put up better numbers as well as being a captain, but Seguin brings a better overall game while being pretty close to Hall's number. The only thing that would influence me to give either the edge is Hall's durability. Although the skate in the eye wasn't being injury prone, the way he throws his body out there isn't the greatest thing for someone of his size to do.

One thing's for sure, they got drafted by the right teams. Boston clearly doesn't need ANYONE to go out there and score constantly, we had the best differential for a looong time last year, we have a very capable offense. Almost everyone in our top-6 can score 30 goals, we don't need a single player to lay all of their offense on the line. While Edmonton lacks a lot in defense, they have 4 terrific players who are fantastic offensively, and Hall is definitely tops among them. He'll be a very important team piece to the Oilers.

Last edited by Dellstrom: 12-02-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 07:15 PM
CL SMOOTH

Taylor Hall
Pic Related.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1353893779867.jpg‎ (39.8 KB, 2 views)

CL SMOOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 07:18 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

There's a lot of false statements being made on this thread right now, about both players. I feel as someone who watches a TON of both players, and being the guy who made the thread, I'd offer up my opinion:

Skating - The edge goes to Hall because his speed makes more of a difference in games than Seguin's agility and cuts. However arguing Seguin can't blow by defenders is asinine.

He not only blows by these defenders, but unlike Hall he's able to stick-handle and retain possession while weaving by them.

Shooting Seguin and it honestly isn't even close. He's got better velocity, better accuracy, and a quicker release. Hall is a great scorer, but most of his goals are clean-up jobs near the net. Seguin has some sick snipes

That's the best snipe in Hall's NHL career - and literally the only one of his goals close to being this good. Now here are some Seguin ones:

He does this with consistency. Great power, accuracy, and release on both his slap-shot and wrist-shot. I don't think I've ever seen a Hall slap-shot goal in the NHL yet.
Passing - Hall is a decent passer, but Seguin is a playmaker by nature, and has great vision, hands, and patience that allow him to EASILY be the better passer.

Puck skills - Seguin quite easily. Better stick-handler and puck-manager.
Defense - Seguin by a little. He's on Boston's "shutdown" line, and is a bit more organized in his own zone.
Leadership - Hall by a mile. AINEC.
Offensive Instincts - Seguin easily has more hockey sense, but Hall has great instincts in his ability to go to the right places to clean up around the crease. It's a slight win for Seguin here.
Physicality - Hall. Not even close. I don't even think I've seen Seguin throw a hit.
Durability - Seguin AINEC. I don't think he's been injured once yet. And his style of play is conducive to avoiding injury, whereas we all know about Hall's reckless style.

Overall Offense - Seguin is much better with the puck, whereas Hall's speed and offensive instincts make him a real difference maker. I'm going to say it's a draw.
Overall Defense - Seguin.

Better Player Now: Seguin but it's close

Last edited by The Perfect Human*: 12-02-2012 at 07:35 PM.
The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
There's a lot of false statements being made on this thread right now, about both players. I feel as someone who watches a TON of both players, and being the guy who made the thread, I'd offer up my opinion:

Skating - The edge goes to Hall because his speed makes more of a difference in games than Seguin's agility and cuts. However arguing Seguin can't blow by defenders is asinine.

He not only blows by these defenders, but unlike Hall he's able to stick-handle and retain possession while weaving by them.

Shooting Seguin and it honestly isn't even close. He's got better velocity, better accuracy, and a quicker release. Hall is a great scorer, but most of his goals are clean-up jobs near the net. Seguin has some sick snipes

That's the best snipe in Hall's NHL career - and literally the only one of his goals close to being this good. Now here are some Seguin ones:

He does this with consistency. Great power, accuracy, and release on both his slap-shot and wrist-shot. I don't think I've ever seen a Hall slap-shot goal in the NHL yet.
Passing - Hall is a decent passer, but Seguin is a playmaker by nature, and has great vision, hands, and patience that allow him to EASILY be the better passer.

Defense - Seguin by a little. He's on Boston's "shutdown" line, and is a bit more organized in his own zone.
Offensive Instincts - Seguin easily has more hockey sense, but Hall has great instincts in his ability to go to the right places to clean up around the crease. It's a slight win for Seguin here.
Physicality - Hall. Not even close. I don't even think I've seen Seguin throw a hit.
Durability - Seguin AINEC. I don't think he's been injured once yet. And his style of play is conducive to avoiding injury, whereas we all know about Hall's reckless style.

Overall Offense - Seguin is much better with the puck, whereas Hall's speed and offensive instincts make him a real difference maker. I'm going to say it's a draw.

Then why bother asking the question?

Especially given your reputation as a Seguin>Hall guy.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 08:00 PM
MessierII

Love when people post select YouTube videos to further their arguments. How come no ones brought up how half of Seguins points were scored in a month and a half.

Consistency should be another category and another win for Hall.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

If you think Hall can't stick handle at full speed maybe you should watch the goal he scored two nights ago against the Houston Aero's

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 08:18 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
If you think Hall can't stick handle at full speed maybe you should watch the goal he scored two nights ago against the Houston Aero's
Dangle

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 08:28 PM
reffree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post

I agree with you, skill wise Seguin is better, but like I said don't underestimeted the take charge mentality of Hall. It won't be as pretty as Seguin, but result will still be there.

reffree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 08:54 PM
MrFunnyWobbl
So Aaron Baddeley

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
Seguin.

MrFunnyWobbl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

They are both great players, but IMO Hall fits in better with our core than Seguin would. He also helped to convince Schultz to sign with us, so who has Seguin convinced to sign with Boston?

12-02-2012, 09:16 PM
Shaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
They are both great players, but IMO Hall fits in better with our core than Seguin would. He also helped to convince Schultz to sign with us, so who has Seguin convinced to sign with Boston?
Just wait 2 years ......

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 09:16 PM
ESH

Skating: Definitely Hall.
Shooting: It's close, but I'd give a slight edge to Tyler Seguin.
Passing: Seguin.
Defense: I doubt either of them will ever be considered great defensive partners. But I think I'll give a slight edge to Seguin.
Leadership: Hall.
Offensive Instincts: I'm not sure how to judge this really, but Hall just seems to have the better natural instincts.
Physicality: Hall.
Durability: Seguin.
Grit: Hall.

Overall Offense: I think it could go either way. I think Seguin has the better natural skillset, but Hall just seems to be more of an offensive force, if that makes any sense. S:
Overall Defense: Again, it's a wash. I don't think either player will ever completely outshine the other.

Better Player Now: Hall.
Better Player Later: Hall.

ESH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 09:18 PM
Gritzky98
Lottery Dynasty

Shooting: Seguin is the better shooter, but I think Hall is the better goal scorer
Defense: Neither
Leadership: Hall AINEC
Offensive Instincts: Hall
Grit: Hall AINEC

Overall Offense: Slight edge to Hall
Overall Defense: Slight edge to Seguin

Better Player Now: Even
Better Player Later: Who knows

Gritzky98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 09:38 PM
nitz

vCash: 543
Intangibles like leadership and sheer drive are the reason players like Hall are more valuable than Seguin. Even if Seguin posts slightly better offensive numbers, I'm still taking Hall. I loved he selection in 2010 and I love it now.

nitz is offline   Reply With Quote