HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

The Hockey Writers - The Ten Greatest Kings of All-Time

Old
12-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
The Hockey Writers - The Ten Greatest Kings of All-Time

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-ten-...s-of-all-time/

Their list:

10. Dustin Brown
9. Butch Goring
8. Bernie Nicholls
7. Anze Kopitar
6. Rogation Vachon
5. Rob Blake
4. Dave Taylor
3. Wayne Gretzky
2. Luc Robitaille
1. Marcel Dionne

What do you guys think?

Edit - Didn't notice this the first time, but they have honorable mentions listed on the bottom:

Quote:
Honorable mention (in no particular order): Jim Fox, Jonathan Quick, Charlie Simmer, Bob Berry, Charlie Simmer, Lubomir Visnovsky, Alexander Frolov, Ziggy Palffy, Marty McSorley, Mike Murphy.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi

Last edited by Telos: 12-02-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

vCash: 500
Yeah, was just about to post your edit there.

Some great names in the honorable mentions.

In regard to the list, one common theme runs through all of the names, and that is all of spent a long time in a Kings jersey. There are many players who went through the Kings lineup that are in the Hall of Fame now, mostly making their mark on other teams but also did some good while here.

Nice to see all the old videos, brings back memories. The Goring goal was in game 6 of the Boston series...its too bad that the video cut off Bob's celebration, as he uttered his famous line "We are going back to Boston! We are going back to Boston!"

I take exception to one of the things the writer said: Dionne was acquired by giving up two outstanding Kings, Terry Harper and Dan Maloney...it was definitely not a "steal" for the Kings...and those two guys were real character guys, two guys I grew up watching.

The writer must be a young guy.

12-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

One more thing...let's revisit this list in about three years. Drew Doughty and Jonathan Quick are gonna be all over it.

That is, if there still is an NHL in three years.

Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 10:49 PM
ukyo

I would have put Norstrom and Deadmarsh on that honorable mentions list ahead of Frolov and Simmer #2.

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 05:00 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukyo View Post
I would have put Norstrom and Deadmarsh on that honorable mentions list ahead of Frolov and Simmer #2.

I agree with you 100%.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:48 AM
TheSlovenian

If the Kings repeat, does that mean that Kopitar is a instantly top 5?

TheSlovenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:57 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Wayne Gretzky was awesome and I don't mean to reopen this debate from other similar threads, but there's just no way I'd put him ahead of Dave Taylor.

I'd rearrange the top 10 as the writer has it as follows:

10. Dustin Brown
9. Butch Goring
8. Anze Kopitar
7. Bernie Nicholls
6. Rob Blake
5. Rogiation Vachon
4. Wayne Gretzky
3. Dave Taylor
2. Luc Robitaille
1. Marcel Dionne

Kopitar, Doughty, Brown and Quick will be bumping several guys off this list in the next 5 years if they stay in LA and remain productive. I hope they bump Rob Blake right off the list.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:57 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quick should demolish every Kings goaltending record before he turns 30, he should be in the top 10. Right now he is only 40 wins behind Vachon to tie for the all time Kings lead at 26 years of age. Kopitar is already 11th all time in Kings franchise history, with 60 points he'll pass Blake and be 7th.

1.Dionne-1307 points with the Kings
2.Robitaille-1007 games played, 1154 points with the Kings
3.Taylor-1111 games played, 1069 points with the Kings
4.Gretzky-only played in 539 games for the Kings
5.Blake-494 points, most by a Kings defensemen
6.Quick-131 wins, 40 shy of the all time record
7.Nicholls-758 points in 602 games with the Kings
8.Vachon-most games played(389)wins(171)and shutouts(32)in Kings history
9.Kopitar-434 points at 25 years of age
10.Goring-736 games playes, 659 points

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:01 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlovenian View Post
If the Kings repeat, does that mean that Kopitar is a instantly top 5?
Quick and Kopitar would be instantly top 5 if the Kings win another cup any time in the next few seasons, IMO.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Buck Flake!

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

I think it's really sad that Taylor and Dionne are both on this list in the top 5 and Simmer is in the honorable mentions.

That guy was a huge part of the triple crown line. I almost certainly would have him on there before Brown or Blake. No offense to either of those guys, but Simmer...come on.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:21 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lewis View Post
I think it's really sad that Taylor and Dionne are both on this list in the top 5 and Simmer is in the honorable mentions.

That guy was a huge part of the triple crown line. I almost certainly would have him on there before Brown or Blake. No offense to either of those guys, but Simmer...come on.
Only 384 games played with the Kings. He did manage to score 466 points in that span but he only played in 4 more games than Tony Granato.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:35 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

I still grumble at seeing Blake on there, but I know why he is. Doughty will replace him in time.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
I still grumble at seeing Blake on there, but I know why he is. Doughty will replace him in time.
I remember DL saying something like "lets put a Stanley Cup banner first" when referring to retiring Blakes number. I could have that wrong but I remember him implying that he'd prefer the Kings win a Cup before they go retiring anyone elses number. Now that has happened, I'm willing to bet that fateful day is coming in the next few years.

The good news is the current crop of Kings players are on pace to push Rob Blake's legacy further down the list of importance in Kings history.

Buddy The Elf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 03:49 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I remember DL saying something like "lets put a Stanley Cup banner first" when referring to retiring Blakes number. I could have that wrong but I remember him implying that he'd prefer the Kings win a Cup before they go retiring anyone elses number. Now that has happened, I'm willing to bet that fateful day is coming in the next few years.

The good news is the current crop of Kings players are on pace to push Rob Blake's legacy further down the list of importance in Kings history.
If the NHL would let them play most of the Kings will be represented in the all time stats within about 5 years. The Kings just were not a good organization for the majority of their existence and that's reflected in the stats. This current Kings team should be all over the stats page like white on lice.

Old
12-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
If the NHL would let them play most of the Kings will be represented in the all time stats within about 5 years. The Kings just were not a good organization for the majority of their existence and that's reflected in the stats. This current Kings team should be all over the stats page like white on lice.
Pretty much this. Look at how Quick is on his way to being the best goalie in franchise history in short time.

It's a given with the history of blunders the organization and its fans suffered through for nearly five decades.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:49 PM
Axl Rhoadz*

Let me get this straight.....Johnny Quick was the MVP of the 2012 playoffs, playing for the Kings who not only won the Stanley Cup, but the only cup the team has EVER won in their 45-year existence...BUT he's not even in the top 10??

I don't care if the guy never plays another game for this team, he should AT LEAST be in the top 3.

Axl Rhoadz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 09:42 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
Let me get this straight.....Johnny Quick was the MVP of the 2012 playoffs, playing for the Kings who not only won the Stanley Cup, but the only cup the team has EVER won in their 45-year existence...BUT he's not even in the top 10??

I don't care if the guy never plays another game for this team, he should AT LEAST be in the top 3.
For greatest season, agree. For greatest career, don't agree.

But I suspect that, barring some horrible injury, QUick wqill be top five, if not top three, eventually anyways.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:33 AM
damacles1156

it's only a matter of time before Quick goes down as the greatest Goal tender the Kings ever had.

Quick just needs to stay healthy....

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Pucknut50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Yeah, was just about to post your edit there.

Some great names in the honorable mentions.

In regard to the list, one common theme runs through all of the names, and that is all of spent a long time in a Kings jersey. There are many players who went through the Kings lineup that are in the Hall of Fame now, mostly making their mark on other teams but also did some good while here.

Nice to see all the old videos, brings back memories. The Goring goal was in game 6 of the Boston series...its too bad that the video cut off Bob's celebration, as he uttered his famous line "We are going back to Boston! We are going back to Boston!"

I take exception to one of the things the writer said: Dionne was acquired by giving up two outstanding Kings, Terry Harper and Dan Maloney...it was definitely not a "steal" for the Kings...and those two guys were real character guys, two guys I grew up watching.

The writer must be a young guy.
Sorry Ron but Dionne for T. Harper and D. Maloney (I loved both these guys) was not a steal it was highway robbery.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:27 PM
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
For greatest season, agree. For greatest career, don't agree.

But I suspect that, barring some horrible injury, QUick wqill be top five, if not top three, eventually anyways.
I would agree with this.

Also IMO I think kopitar will end up being in the top 3 greatest kings when his career is over. His point totals will probably be there with luc but his overall skill set mixed with his humble attitude makes him already one of the best kings of all time ( 6th right now IMO)

scramble91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lewis View Post
Agreed Simmer should maybe be in the Top 10 IMO, and no worse than Top 15.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukyo View Post
Norstrom sure ... but Deadmarsh ? not IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Simmer Only 384 games played with the Kings. He did manage to score 466 points in that span but he only played in 4 more games than Tony Granato.
Exactly why I don't get people's love fest for Deadmarsh still ... I'll grant you he was a fan favorite, true heart and soul warrior, and I loved the guy as a hockey player as well don't get me wrong here ... but in the list of GREATEST KINGS Players ever ? The guy played all of 131 games and had only 95 points (including playoffs) for the Kings. He is, and always will be a "Colorado Avalanche" and is why he's a coach for them, and not US. I'd put LAPPY ahead of Deadmarsh anyways

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 06:23 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post

Exactly why I don't get people's love fest for Deadmarsh still ... I'll grant you he was a fan favorite, true heart and soul warrior, and I loved the guy as a hockey player as well don't get me wrong here ... but in the list of GREATEST KINGS Players ever ? The guy played all of 131 games and had only 95 points (including playoffs) for the Kings. He is, and always will be a "Colorado Avalanche" and is why he's a coach for them, and not US. I'd put LAPPY ahead of Deadmarsh anyways
Pretty there was a reason he only played 131 games for the Kings...

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Pretty there was a reason he only played 131 games for the Kings...
yeah DUH ... and your point ?
we should say he was one of the GREATEST to play for the Kings EVER based on what MIGHT have been had he not been a knocked in the head one too many times ?

By comparisson, he played 541 games and had 344 points (including playoffs) for the Quebec Nordiques/Colorado Avalanche and even came back and was an assistant Coach for 3 years for the Av's, and yet I don't know if THEY would put him in their TOP 10 ? Would You ?

Joe Sakic, Patrick Roy, Peter Forsberg, Adam Foote, Milan Hejduk, Rob Blake, Chris Drury, Ray Bourque, Jon Klemm, Uwe Krupp, Claude Lemieux ...
maybe he's an Honorable Mention for them ? Adam Deadmarsh ... along with the likes of Val Kamensky, Mike Ricci and Alex Tanguay ... maybe something like that, or in the Top 15/20.

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 11:47 PM
ukyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post

You're of course entitled to disagree, but I put a lot of stock in the iconic memories that a player delivers. And I gotta tell you, I love me some Deadmarsh.

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote