HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcityassault View Post
I've seen him several times.. love this kid. Brings something that all of our other D prospects can't - DENTING. He hits everything that moves, can skate well and fights very regularly. He reminds me of a more willing to fight Robyn Regher
so wait, are you saying Ray Shero didn't throw away Michalek for nothing? Psh, likely story.

Old
12-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Dangles78

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcityassault View Post
I've seen him several times.. love this kid. Brings something that all of our other D prospects can't - DENTING. He hits everything that moves, can skate well and fights very regularly. He reminds me of a more willing to fight Robyn Regher
If his defense is adequate and he can turn into another Engo then I'll be one happy camper. I think Shero is hoping either Seymour or Ruopp can bring that element to the lineup eventually since Engo won't be here forever.

Old
12-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Man, Marcantuoni's stat line on year sucks so far. 3-6-9 in 23 games? Yeesh.

Old
12-02-2012, 03:58 PM
deakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
Yeah, a bit dissapointed in his production so far. HE does have 6 points in his last 5 games tho. So lets hope hes starting to find his groove

Old
12-02-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Check out the Rangers Dec 5th on NHL network. I thought he looked really good that game.

He has really good poise and is pretty crafty with the puck. One thing that I was really impressed with in that game is his ability to pass. He knows about the bait/ lure game and about time and space. You don't see that so much at his age.

Old
12-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Dangles78

Even if MM's offensive ability doesn't come into full effect or reach expected potential, I still think he can be an NHL player because of his speed and willingness to play a physical game.

Anyone think D' Agostino gets an ELC after this year? The Pens D pipeline is obviously deep, but he's a steal for where he was drafted and I'd hate to not see him at least get a shot at the pro level.

Old
12-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Mr. T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles78 View Post
Anyone think D' Agostino gets an ELC after this year? The Pens D pipeline is obviously deep, but he's a steal for where he was drafted and I'd hate to not see him at least get a shot at the pro level.
Absolutely, yes.

Old
12-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Dangles78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
Absolutely, yes.
There's just so many quality defensive prospects it's going to interesting (and maybe a little insane) to see how everything shapes up to be in the next 5 years.

Old
12-02-2012, 08:30 PM
BeauKnows19

I found this video of the Yale vs. Brown game on December 1st. Penguins prospect Kenny Agostino scored around the 50 minute mark of the video.

http://www.yalebulldogs.com/video/index
So far this season he has 6 goals, 7 assists in 9 games played.

Last edited by BeauKnows19: 12-02-2012 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Link didn't work
Old
12-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Jacob

Ruopp is someone I'm looking forward to seeing in the pros. I think of all the physical, stay-at-home guys we have in the system (Seymour, Bortuzzo, Samuelsson, etc.) he is the most exciting and, IMO, will make the biggest impact. The dude seems to genuinely enjoy putting a hurt on people. He's easily the most physical prospect we have.

Old
12-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Sivek

Ruopp is destined to make a NHL impact with the Pens solely because he was taken with a Pens draft pick thrice-removed and eventually acquired in a trade.

Wasn't the pick something like:
1.) June 2010-Pens traded 2011 3rd-rounder to Flyers for Hamhuis's ufa rights
2.) June 2011-Coyotes traded Bryz's ufa rights for junk, a 2012 3rd-rounder and a conditional draft pick if he Bryz signed. He did and it became the 2011 3rd-rounder that originally was the Pens.
3.) June 2012-Michalek is traded to the Coyotes for the 2012 3rd-rounder (Oscar Sundqvist) and the original Pens 2011 3rd-rounder, Harrison Ruopp.

I can't see a scenario where Ruopp doesn't make it to the NHL and Steigy & Errey bumble over the previous scenario a few times a season. Also Mike Rupp jokes.

Old
12-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Dagger is definitely getting a contract. Hopefully they just don't waste a roster spot with a Reese or Mormina-like player next season (I know they will but whatever). Plenty of defensive depth at the moment.

Old
12-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Big McLargehuge
Diving in Head First

vCash: 422
Quote:
Dagger is definitely getting a contract. Hopefully they just don't waste a roster spot with a Reese or Mormina-like player next season (I know they will but whatever). Plenty of defensive depth at the moment.
Reese's position in the system became muddled with the lockout. I don't think all 3 of Lovejoy/Strait/Bortuzzo would have opened the season still with the organization and he was likely to have the inside track on the #7 job based on experience and the fact that we wouldn't be wasting a prospect in the press box most nights...but with 2 of those 3 in WBS Reese is doing more to block prospects than to open up ice for them.

Mormina...much the same. With both teams running he's not blocking anyone and gives WBS depth and experience...with just WBS going he's blocking a youngster.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Old
12-02-2012, 10:42 PM
stefanh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Reese's position in the system became muddled with the lockout. I don't think all 3 of Lovejoy/Strait/Bortuzzo would have opened the season still with the organization and he was likely to have the inside track on the #7 job based on experience and the fact that we wouldn't be wasting a prospect in the press box most nights...but with 2 of those 3 in WBS Reese is doing more to block prospects than to open up ice for them.

Mormina...much the same. With both teams running he's not blocking anyone and gives WBS depth and experience...with just WBS going he's blocking a youngster.
Mormina is hardly playing though. It's more Bortuzzo and Strait that's blocking our younger prospects right now.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:27 AM
FireBylsma
Avgå Åkerblom

vCash: 200
Oskar Sundqvist didn't make the Swedish wjc team.

source: http://www.hockeysverige.se/article/...ergs-jvm-trupp

Last edited by FireBylsma: 12-03-2012 at 04:40 AM. Reason: ádded source
Old
12-03-2012, 04:34 AM
wej20

Getting Mormina made sense if there was only going to be one other Vet dman in the AHL, as it stands there are 3 (Bortuzzo, Reese and Strait) plus Mormina.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:46 AM
deakka

Im sure D´Agostino will get an offer from the pens. The question is, will he sign with us? Sure hes no Schultz, but i would bet some other teams would be willing to offer him a contract.

And if i were him, i would heavily consider signing for a team that doesnt have the insane amount of defensive prospects the pens have.

Old
12-03-2012, 06:02 AM
deakka

Not that suprised Sundqvist didnt make it. It was hard to crack the forward position this year. Pontus Åberg (who i had some hopes the pens would take @ 22 before maata fell) didt make it either.
A player to watch will be Alexander Wennberg. Hes draft eligible 2013 and in the 3-4 games ive seen him play he looks to have really good offensive instincts.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:16 AM
Burgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Getting Mormina made sense if there was only going to be one other Vet dman in the AHL, as it stands there are 3 (Bortuzzo, Reese and Strait) plus Mormina.
I bet Mormina gets a coaching job with the Baby Pens a few years down the line (he's still only 30). Hynes will eventually get an NHL offer. Then Nasreddine takes over in WBS and they'll need a new assistant. That's simply how it works with our farm team.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:46 AM
deakka

Poulliot and Harrington got invited to team canadas WJC camp. I guess Harrington are close to a lock. I dont see Poulliot making it tbh, too much competition this year,

Old
12-03-2012, 11:46 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post

Reese has played really well. The problem is that they will lose someone to waivers. Strait and Bortuzzo are much younger than Reese and Lovejoy. So it's a question of who do you want to risk losing. I don't think they would mind losing Lovejoy but the risk is that he doesn't get picked up and they have to pay him NHL money in the AHL and depending on the new CBA they may still have to eat his cap #.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Harrington was a lock to begin with. After Murray went down, he became a super-lock.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
Poulliot and Harrington got invited to team canadas WJC camp. I guess Harrington are close to a lock. I dont see Poulliot making it tbh, too much competition this year,
I'm big on prospects climbing a ladder of success. Its good that he got invited this year. If he makes it... great... if not he can see the invite as one step and then make it next year.

I actually think he would be great for the team. With elite players around him and some better structure than the Super Series I think he'll be downright awesome. Pouliot has some Zubov to him in that he lets the puck do the work. Reily is more like a Leetch in that he controls the puck all over the ice.

Old
12-03-2012, 07:56 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Selke BylsmAdams

vCash: 80
It's truly unbelievable how little respect Scott Harrington gets in any Team Canada threads, and 99 times out of 100, the person knocking Harrington will do so by comparing Harrington's point totals to another player's to justify why he's not deserving of a spot on Team Canada.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
It's truly unbelievable how little respect Scott Harrington gets in any Team Canada threads, and 99 times out of 100, the person knocking Harrington will do so by comparing Harrington's point totals to another player's to justify why he's not deserving of a spot on Team Canada.
I'm right there with you... Scott Harrington plays smarter than 95% of the players in Junior. He's a great player for this tournament.

Closed Thread