HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Alex Galchenyuk - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2012 draft) (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Lebowski
In Price We Trust

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFr View Post
Luckily that issue probably won't come up for Galchenyuk

Anyway, I hope this guy can be the star forward Montreal really needs... they haven't had one since Koivu and even that's a stretch. When was the last time a Habs forward was in the top 5-10 players in the league? Might even go back to Lafleur...
I don't remember if he was in the top 10, but Kovalev did have an 84 points season in 2007-08 iirc.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:08 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Kid is an absolute beauty. Reminds me of a Hossa/Sundin hybrid.

Thank God Habs chose him, he would have been perfect centering Kessel.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:13 AM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

I'm excited about this kid. More so than Yakupov, whom I like as well. Call me crazy (and I probably am) but I'm actually more intrigues by him than RNH and most other top 10 picks from recent seasons as well. Just have a special feeling when watching him. I think he's going to be truly great.

Edit: I hate the Habs. Wish PK and Gally were elsewhere.

Last edited by Ollie Queen: 12-03-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old
12-03-2012, 12:26 AM
Kamal007
A$VP

I said it before the draft and I'll say it again, Gally will be the best player out of this draft.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:34 AM
Inf4mous0ne

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
I hope so.
Hossa sucked against us in the playoffs.
Well it seems Montreal won't have to worry about experiencing that vs. you for the foreseeable future

Quote:
Dang you stole my line..

Old
12-03-2012, 03:22 AM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

The way he holds his stick in tight reminds me of Hossa, but the way he plays reminds me much more of Malkin.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:46 AM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
I don't mean to nitpick, but Sarault and Boucher are NOT average players.

Sarault is one of the best playmakers in the OHL and he has a solid two-way game. Boucher is a solid sniper who has a great nose for the net and protects the puck well. He has a legitimate chance of being a good goal scorer in the NHL.

If you're just looking at tonight's game though you'd never know it. Even though Sarault and Boucher combined for 6 points, they were invisible for the most part.

Galchenyuk is certainly the motor behind the team, but Sarnia really isn't as bad as most Habs fans think they are.
Sarault is a nifty player for sure, but he's no world beater. He's got serious flaws to his game, although he does have skill and is very shifty. He works hard but he tends to force plays, and most definitely benefits greatly from playing with Galchenyuk. 38 points in his 18 year old season, then he plays with Yakupov and Galchenyuk and has two "top 10" campaigns? Hmmm...

Boucher is a nice pro prospect. Reminds me so much of Chris Kunitz. Great snapper, and a gritty north-south game. That being said, he depends big-time on Galchenyuk and Sarault getting him the puck in scoring areas. He lacks the offensive awareness to create much for himself or his line-mates. I love his game nonetheless.

Sarnia IS a bad team and I presume it will show more and more as the games get tighter with closer checking. Their problem is obviously not a lack of skill, but it seems to be a lack of structure that starts at the back end. That defense is a mess. Save Murphy(and even he has his troubles), they couldn't handle a forecheck if their lives depended on it. Deangelo is embarrassing with his ridiculous turnovers and complete lack of ability to defend. They play a home run style with no home run hitters on the backend which is why they look like crap whenever they play a structured team.

As much as people want Galchenyk traded to a contender, maybe Beaulieu can land a stud offensive D-man somehow? I'd wager that that would instantly turn them into a dangerous team, but I'm sure it'd cost an arm and a leg.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:33 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Anderson has managed to stand on his head, and THR top line for the Sting is putting up crazy numbers. Don't look now, but they are atop their division.

As for who Galchenyuk reminds me of? It's hard to really compare. He's got good size and strength, good skating, and insane puck skills and vision. He's a different player, but a less explosive Malkin comes to mind, but he's more cerebral than Malkin.

He's goin go be a good one though. After a bit of a slow start, he's absolutely destroying out there right now and could be the best prospect in the OHL.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:17 AM
gnarbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal007 View Post
I said it before the draft and I'll say it again, Gally will be the best player out of this draft.
Not sure if just trolling or haven't heard of mark jankowski

Old
12-03-2012, 11:51 AM
irunthepeg
#whiteout

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarbot View Post
Not sure if just trolling or haven't heard of mark jankowski
Not sure if actually trolling.

I'm glad Gally is tearing it up. I was a bit weary after the injury and have always had this sneaky suspicion Grigorenko will turn out just fine and we will regret drafting him but I'm glad Alex is doing well.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:05 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
I don't mean to nitpick, but Sarault and Boucher are NOT average players.

Sarault is one of the best playmakers in the OHL and he has a solid two-way game. Boucher is a solid sniper who has a great nose for the net and protects the puck well. He has a legitimate chance of being a good goal scorer in the NHL.

If you're just looking at tonight's game though you'd never know it. Even though Sarault and Boucher combined for 6 points, they were invisible for the most part.

Galchenyuk is certainly the motor behind the team, but Sarnia really isn't as bad as most Habs fans think they are.
agree.

both are solid additions to this line with Galy as all 3 players compliment each other nicely. Boucher isnt a prospect to scoff at either, he has scored goals everywhere he has been, especially clutch goals.

Galchenyuk is the best player on this line by a ways, but Sarrault and Boucher are very solid players as well...they are not leeching off the skill of Galchenyuk, they actually provide skill to this line as well.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:07 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Love the chemistry between him and Boucher, and no MTL , you cant have Boucher
No problem! The Habs drafted Sebastian Collberg in the 2nd round who also has a very heavy wrist shot and is known as a goal scorer. Tim Bozon also fits the bill.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:26 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
Sarault is a nifty player for sure, but he's no world beater. He's got serious flaws to his game, although he does have skill and is very shifty. He works hard but he tends to force plays, and most definitely benefits greatly from playing with Galchenyuk. 38 points in his 18 year old season, then he plays with Yakupov and Galchenyuk and has two "top 10" campaigns? Hmmm...

Boucher is a nice pro prospect. Reminds me so much of Chris Kunitz. Great snapper, and a gritty north-south game. That being said, he depends big-time on Galchenyuk and Sarault getting him the puck in scoring areas. He lacks the offensive awareness to create much for himself or his line-mates. I love his game nonetheless.

Sarnia IS a bad team and I presume it will show more and more as the games get tighter with closer checking. Their problem is obviously not a lack of skill, but it seems to be a lack of structure that starts at the back end. That defense is a mess. Save Murphy(and even he has his troubles), they couldn't handle a forecheck if their lives depended on it. Deangelo is embarrassing with his ridiculous turnovers and complete lack of ability to defend. They play a home run style with no home run hitters on the backend which is why they look like crap whenever they play a structured team.

As much as people want Galchenyk traded to a contender, maybe Beaulieu can land a stud offensive D-man somehow? I'd wager that that would instantly turn them into a dangerous team, but I'm sure it'd cost an arm and a leg.
Great post agree with everything.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:09 AM
Zathronas

Quote:

Anyway, I hope this guy can be the star forward Montreal really needs... they haven't had one since Koivu and even that's a stretch. When was the last time a Habs forward was in the top 5-10 players in the league? Might even go back to Lafleur...
let's see...

last time would be Mats Naslund who was 8th in scoring in the 85-86 season with 110 points. Sigh! brings back memories!

P.S Kovalev was 11th on his 84 points season

P.P.S We did win a Stanley Cup that year... just sayin'

Last edited by Zathronas: 12-04-2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old
12-04-2012, 06:24 AM
Zathronas

This brings back an anecdote:

during the parade (last one on st-catherine street)

the players were so close and shaking fans hands!

I remember the guy beside me shouting "I shook Chris Nilan's hands!"

to which I replied "Meh! I would have been impressed if you said he punched you!"

Sigh! we need another cup!

Old
12-04-2012, 12:01 PM
HabsQC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathronas View Post
This brings back an anecdote:

during the parade (last one on st-catherine street)

the players were so close and shaking fans hands!

I remember the guy beside me shouting "I shook Chris Nilan's hands!"

to which I replied "Meh! I would have been impressed if you said he punched you!"

Sigh! we need another cup!
Something doesnt work with this story.... Chris Nilan wasnt part of the team who won Mtls last cup was he?

Old
12-04-2012, 01:15 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostansin 46 View Post
Something doesnt work with this story.... Chris Nilan wasnt part of the team who won Mtls last cup was he?
He's refering to another post about the 86' cup.

Old
12-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
Sarault is a nifty player for sure, but he's no world beater. He's got serious flaws to his game, although he does have skill and is very shifty. He works hard but he tends to force plays, and most definitely benefits greatly from playing with Galchenyuk. 38 points in his 18 year old season, then he plays with Yakupov and Galchenyuk and has two "top 10" campaigns? Hmmm..
With regards to Sarault, I'd agree with a lot of what you wrote until the part where you point out his 38 points as an 18 year old, and use that to suggest that playing with Yakupov and Galchenyuk is the main reason he's now producing. IMO, that's not really detailing the entire picture.

I've followed his career since his rookie season as a 16 year old with the Frontenacs. Through his entire Kingston career, I'd lamented *constantly* how he was never given a chance and that, whenever he did get the odd shift higher than the 4th line, he actually looked good.

The season he scored 38 points, he was bumped around from the 4th and 3rd line, getting no PP time, and playing with a bunch of scrubs and rookies. When injuries/suspensions/benchings took place to the top six players, and Sarault was actually given top six minutes with good players, he looked like what you see now in Sarnia: a hard worker with good playmaking ability and a shiftiness to his game.

The moment Sarnia acquired him, I knew he was going to be much better than what his stats suggested in Kingston. That's not to suggest playing with world class talent like Galchenyuk and Yakupov don't help his stats as well; of course they do. However, I just have an issue when someone compares his totals in Kingston with what he's scoring in Sarnia, simply because he never got a chance in Kingston to play more than scrub minutes with crappy players.

Old
12-04-2012, 03:24 PM
zzoo

After a "rusty" start due probably to a year off, Galchenyuk has maintained an impressive 2.33 ppg in his last 12 games.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:39 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

Can't wait to see him wear the bleu blanc rouge

Old
12-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by x74Pacioretty74x View Post
Me neither!

Old
12-04-2012, 07:07 PM
AJMHABS
#31 for Vezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Me neither!

Quote:
Originally Posted by x74Pacioretty74x View Post
HAHAHA either one would look good right now. I'm starved for hockey

Old
12-04-2012, 07:15 PM
StrongIslanders90

I love the fact that he chooses to play for team USA!!!

Old
12-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Kershaw

Some pressure on Gally to become the next superstar American forward.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:24 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Some pressure on Gally to become the next superstar American forward.
I think there's pressure regardless of where you are from when you are the 3rd overall pick, especially at a team like Montreal.

Closed Thread