HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix Suns (NBA) Offer Money Back Guarantee

Old
12-01-2012, 07:50 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

vCash: 500
Phoenix Suns (NBA) Offer Money Back Guarantee

The Phoenix Suns are struggling to compete in a stacked NBA Division and have seen attendance slip the last few years. They are now offering a refund to fans who go to a game and are unhappy with the experience- win or lose.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...4304--nba.html

Quote:
Win or lose, the Suns are guaranteeing that fans will enjoy their experience at US Airways Center. Those who aren't completely satisfied can redeem their ticket stub for a rebate equal to the purchase price of their December 6 ticket, not to exceed the face value of the ticket.

"We believe strongly in the up-tempo, exciting brand of basketball that our team plays every time it steps onto the court, as well as the overall entertainment experience we provide here at US Airways Center," said Phoenix Suns president, Jason Rowley. "We feel so confident in our product that we are willing to offer money back to those fans who leave our arena unsatisfied after experiencing the excitement of Suns basketball."

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 09:03 AM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

vCash: 50
Even if you enjoyed the game, couldn't you just lie and say you didn't enjoy it and get your money back?

Finnish your Czech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 09:41 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
The NBA is such a joke. Everybody knows that only 4-5 teams matter. Can't understand why anyone bothers being a fan of a team when the vast majority of them will never compete.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 09:51 AM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
The NBA is such a joke. Everybody knows that only 4-5 teams matter. Can't understand why anyone bothers being a fan of a team when the vast majority of them will never compete.
I disagree, altrough it's the most ''unfair'' league in North America (in the sense that in fact it has the less parity, by miles), I dont think it's true that only 4-5 teams matter.

Look for exemple at the Brookly Nets, they've built a really good team and are challenging the ''establishment''. But yeah, being a fan of..... say the Raptors, when there was zero chance of making the playoffs at the beginning of the season must have been freaking depressing. Same for the Suns in their current ''rebuilding'' stage.

It really isn't like Hockey where every single game is up for grabs and exciting.

Acesolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 10:12 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
I disagree, altrough it's the most ''unfair'' league in North America (in the sense that in fact it has the less parity, by miles), I dont think it's true that only 4-5 teams matter.

Look for exemple at the Brookly Nets, they've built a really good team and are challenging the ''establishment''.
Can you explain what in the world that means?

Only 1 team in the East matters, Miami. Unless someone gets hurt, they are guaranteed to get back to Final. I understand that the Nets and Knicks are good, but when it comes down to it, they are irrelevant.

It works great from a national TV sense to only have a few teams that everyone wants to see play. But at the gate, the league is in complete shambles. Last year, 21 NHL teams averaged over 95% capacity. In the NBA, only 13 did.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 10:13 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish your Czech View Post
Even if you enjoyed the game, couldn't you just lie and say you didn't enjoy it and get your money back?
The Panthers have (had?) a similar guarantee going, and if you wanted your money back, you had to fill out a fairly lengthy survey asking about your experience. It's not like returning a DVD player at Walmart.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 10:26 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
The Panthers have (had?) a similar guarantee going, and if you wanted your money back, you had to fill out a fairly lengthy survey asking about your experience. It's not like returning a DVD player at Walmart.
Makes sense, and don't think they would be giving refunds out, over and over to the same guy....

This seems to be a message to the fans, we want to be competative, and we want you satisfied, but you could see where there would be a ton of possible abuse....

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

If you want to know what a league that is thin on talent REALLY looks like, look at the NHL. There's little actual value to be had for a clever GM because there's little talent waiting in the wings for a shot. Everyone that can play at the NBA level pretty much already is. Contrast that with the NHL, where you can usually delve into the bargain bin for players who had never been given a shot, with at least some success, and occasionally overwhelming success (ref: Thomas, Tim) and tell me which one should be even dreaming of contracting.

BTW nice potshot at the Phoenix market. The Suns may be struggling at the moment but they're one of the better franchises in the NBA, their long term viability is not in question, neither is Phoenix's ability to support a competently run sports team.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 11:45 AM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post

Look for exemple at the Brookly Nets, they've built a really good team and are challenging the ''establishment''. But yeah, being a fan of..... say the Raptors, when there was zero chance of making the playoffs at the beginning of the season must have been freaking depressing. Same for the Suns in their current ''rebuilding'' stage.

It really isn't like Hockey where every single game is up for grabs and exciting.
We have been rebuilding since Stoudamire left.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Makes sense, and don't think they would be giving refunds out, over and over to the same guy....

This seems to be a message to the fans, we want to be competative, and we want you satisfied, but you could see where there would be a ton of possible abuse....
Looking at the quote in the Suns case, it only applies to the December 6th game. Makes perfect sense from the Suns case. I'm sure a small segment of the attendance that night will buy tickets saying I've always meant to go to a Suns game, but they suck right? So they will buy a ticket to the game with the idea that I'll get to go and it will be "free." They will likely bring along someone, who may or may not be a Suns fan. Now assuming the Suns put in a good effort and the game experience is well done, that fan who wasn't a Suns fan before is enthralled by the experience and viola the Suns have new fans. If they aren't enthralled by it, likely that seat wouldn't have been sold so the Suns don't lose any money, but gain great market research in the process. I really doubt the majority of their fanbase that would routinely attend games would request a refund. So there is a no lose proposition on this one.

This sounds like the Vince McMahon theory. I had read a quote from him that went something like this, if he runs a WWF (it was an old quote) show in an arena and lost his shirt running it as 1000 fans showed up, he'd consider it a success if even 1 fan had never seen the WWF before and became a fan for life as a result. The Suns are essentially doing the same thing.

The greedy side of me says if I lived in Phoenix, I'd get the best available seats that I normally couldn't afford and even though I'd have a good time, I'd ask for a refund. Imagine sitting courtside for free? But my moral side says that is essentially fraud and my moral compass would never let me do that. Even if the Suns lost by 50, the other team would likely be fun to watch. So unless the game was a snoozefest of say a final score of 45-32, the LCD videoboard broke, the cheerleaders were 70 year olds and the concession stands were closed, likely I wouldn't ask for a refund.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:52 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
If you want to know what a league that is thin on talent REALLY looks like, look at the NHL. There's little actual value to be had for a clever GM because there's little talent waiting in the wings for a shot. Everyone that can play at the NBA level pretty much already is. Contrast that with the NHL, where you can usually delve into the bargain bin for players who had never been given a shot, with at least some success, and occasionally overwhelming success (ref: Thomas, Tim) and tell me which one should be even dreaming of contracting.

BTW nice potshot at the Phoenix market. The Suns may be struggling at the moment but they're one of the better franchises in the NBA, their long term viability is not in question, neither is Phoenix's ability to support a competently run sports team.
Since I'm the original poster, I have to guess this comment is directed at me. I'm not taking a potshot at any market. I'm just observing that sports franchises periodically have challenges filling the seats, regardless of which sport.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Hockeyfan2390

So theoretically, fans could get refunds after every loss? How about after every Suns win while complaining they weren't flashy enough?

Hockeyfan2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 11:27 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Something I noticed last night, this game will be the 2nd game of TNT's double header which may make sense why they chose that specific one.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 12:13 AM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Can you explain what in the world that means?

Only 1 team in the East matters, Miami. Unless someone gets hurt, they are guaranteed to get back to Final. I understand that the Nets and Knicks are good, but when it comes down to it, they are irrelevant.

It works great from a national TV sense to only have a few teams that everyone wants to see play. But at the gate, the league is in complete shambles. Last year, 21 NHL teams averaged over 95% capacity. In the NBA, only 13 did.
I like hockey more than basketball, and the NHL more than the NBA (though I enjoy both), and you have the right facts.

But you gotta think, from a business standpoint, the NBA made a good decision in neglecting gate revenues for TV revenues. A big TV contract can easily offset even poor attendance (and I wouldn't characterize NBA's attendance as "poor").

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 01:31 AM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan2390 View Post
So theoretically, fans could get refunds after every loss? How about after every Suns win while complaining they weren't flashy enough?

Funny how some see that a promotion that refers to ONE game and ponder if it could mean every game. Funny.

It's still not enough of a promotion to get me to go. I might almost be tempted, if it wasn't for the fact that Bruce Springsteen will be performing at jobing.com arena that night.

yotesreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 02:42 AM
Disclose

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan2390 View Post
december 6th game only. win or lose.... (you didnt even have to click a link to answer both questions).

but yeah, even if youi have to "fill out a fairly lengthy survey" to get your money back. i would do it if i had to...

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 02:51 AM
BD33

It's a good idea to try and get some new fans. Plus, people will buy beer and food most likely, so they will be getting extra revenue from that. Someone might actually spend a little extra money at the arena knowing they are going to get a refund for their ticket anyway.

BD33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 10:30 PM
scotchex

NBA has the least parity because it has the most skill. Or rather, it has the least luck. Baseball and hockey have much more randomness, which means the odds are much better that a worse team gets lucky and beats a better team in the playoffs.

In basketball the teams with the best players win more consistently than any other pro sport. Because the best players in basketball control the ball more, and there's less randomness in shooting a basketball.

Strategy and coaching in basketball pretty much come down to hiring the best players. A LeBron James or Kobe Bryant or Michael Jordan in their prime are good enough to make any NBA team at least a top 4 team.

None of the other major sports can be so dominated by a single superior individual.

The bottom tier have no hope. And even the middle tier only can hope to make the playoffs and then get crushed by the dominant teams with the dominant players.

In hockey there's always hope your goalie goes on a hot streak. In baseball you hope your pitchers get hot and the Yankees bats go cold.

What saves the NBA is the salary cap and the draft. So a team like Cleveland could go from nothing to the Finals by drafting a LeBron. And then go back to nothing when LeBron leaves.

Can't imagine how dominant the Lakers would be if the NBA had MLB's financial system.

scotchex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:18 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
IF they chose to do this for more than one game, I'd assume that if someone wanted to do it for a second time, they'd question why someone chose to return after having an unpleasant experience.

enrothorne is online now   Reply With Quote